HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff " Its a little bit of a gamble but we all liked what we saw"

Old
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Does it really matter what Lindy says now?

The roster isnt set
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
True.
I'm not targetting you two specifcially. But there is a trend on this forum to dump on threads and dismiss them. Whats the point, close thread/ etc.

Here is some advice for all.

Its a website dedicated to discussing hockey. So either join the discussion or move along.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:

The roster isnt set
Most people have Ennis line set and Vanek with Hodgson.

After that its fill in the blanks. I think It will be like that most of the year.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

All-situations?

I'm sorry, but with 40 secs left in a 1 goal game, Ennis is NOT the center I want out there.

Nor in a PK situation unless we are trailing and need an extra attacker SH goal to send it to OT.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
All-situations?

I'm sorry, but with 40 secs left in a 1 goal game, Ennis is NOT the center I want out there.

Nor in a PK situation unless we are trailing and need an extra attacker SH goal to send it to OT.
I think he simply means that Ennis wont get protected minutes any more. Not that he will be used to shut the other team down.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:26 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
All-situations?

Agreed. At this point I would imagine Poms/Ott would be two constants in that situation. Who is with them I am not sure yet.

I think if Hodgson emerges as this player and is successful Sabres fans everywhere rejoice and Darth Regier will reign supreme.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
DJN21

Quote:
All-situations?

Based on the ice time given to Hodgson last year and the arrival of Ott I'd say many of those tough defensive situations are going to go to those two, especially if ruff decides to use his head and play Pominville and or Vanek primarily with Hodgson anyways

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Dreakon

While I agree that Hodgson should probably get that sexy top line gig along with Pominville and Vanek, I like the fact that we are putting this in the hands of our younger guys. You know Ennis at the top won't last forever anyways, especially if he struggles.

As sweet as it would be to coddle Ennis his entire career because we go out and get players to put ahead of him in the lineup, I'm curious to see if he thrives as a top 6 center. Maybe an offseason/camp/whatever of focusing on playing center and the skills needed for it will surprise people.

Last edited by Dreakon: 07-10-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Sabresfansince1980

The success of the forwards could (hopefully) still boil down to having three balanced lines where any one of them could see the easy match-up based on what the other coach does. If Ruff has to stack Vanek and Pominville on a line together then teams can match up more easily. Three lines makes it harder, and where exactly Ennis fits in the mix doesn't really change any of that.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:30 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
While I agree that Hodgson should probably get that sexy top line gig along with Pominville and Vanek, I like the fact that we are putting this in the hands of our younger guys.

As sweet as it would be to coddle Ennis his entire career because we go out and get players to put ahead of him in the lineup, I'm curious to see if he thrives as a top 6 center. Maybe an offseason/camp/whatever of focusing on playing center and the skills needed for it will surprise people.
I def think that ennis and hodgson both have what it takes to eventually be top 6 players for years to come however this team would have benefited greatly from the pressence of a guy like Goose(not saying him exactly or that I wouldnt do that deal all over again and again), but they need someone to ease them into tough/defensive roles and mentor them...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:35 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:

The roster isnt set
This is a very valid point.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the gamble of handing roy;s role to ennis is stupid. that's the .... it should so clearly go to Hodgson/Pommer line if someone else doesn't get brought in.

seriously... Ennis + Defensive Zone draws/shifts is ****ing idiotic.

Ennis is the worst defensive zone player on the entire team (ok, john scott is probably worse... probably )

Not to mention the kid was just starting to scratch the surface of success at center.... so i think it's double to try and change that role so soon.

lindy is an idiot... everything about his decisions regarding lineups over the years makes this annoying, but by no means surprising
You can't score if you don't have the puck. That's why Ennis doesn't need to be a good defensive player. That line constantly had teams pinned in there own end. Puck possession is a form of defense in itself, and Ennis is the best we have at that.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

hopefully missing the playoffs gets lindy fired
I hope a ****** start might do it too, but lets face it - never gonna happen.

I like Ennis as a C, but asking him to handle Roy's duties is dumb, something I fully expect from Ruff.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Most people have Ennis line set and Vanek with Hodgson.

After that its fill in the blanks. I think It will be like that most of the year.
Yes, right now it's:

Vanek-Hodgson-X or X-Hodgson-Vanek
Leino-Y-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Z-Kaleta
xEllis, Scott

Where X or Y is Ott or an acquisition/signing and Z is McCormick or an acquisition/signing. X could be Tropp, but that's potentially a lot of minutes for someone still relatively unproven.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Honestly, we're not talking about many more minutes if any compared to the run his line went on. It all comes down to whether or not there is a viable third scoring line in the mix. As to who draws defensive match-ups, that is up to the enemy generals.

The most practical thing I took away from this is that they currently have Ennis above Hodgson on the depth chart, the rest is conjecture for the time being. Further, that to me indicates not much more than the level of trust they have in each players, and understandably they have more in the guy they've had for two full seasons and change versus the guy who has only even been in the organization for a few months.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Put Hodgson between Pominville and Vanek, that will draw the first defense pairing who they can adequately compete against. That leaves FES to draw the weaker pairings whom they can feast on. I don't see the problem here.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I def think that ennis and hodgson both have what it takes to eventually be top 6 players for years to come however this team would have benefited greatly from the pressence of a guy like Goose(not saying him exactly or that I wouldnt do that deal all over again and again), but they need someone to ease them into tough/defensive roles and mentor them...
Well, Hodgson wanted the tough minutes coming from Vancouver. He's a natural center. I'm not too worried about him. Ennis is the gamble but that said he did a good job ending last year with Foligno and Stafford. You'd be a fool to not at least want to see how long that lasts.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You can't score if you don't have the puck. That's why Ennis doesn't need to be a good defensive player. That line constantly had teams pinned in there own end. Puck possession is a form of defense in itself, and Ennis is the best we have at that.
Part of that is his higher number of offensive zone starts though. Saying he pins them in their own end constantly is a bit of a stretch since he ends less shifts in the offensive zone than he starts. I don't mean this is completely dismiss that line's possession capabilities but I think you're overblowing it as you do with most things related to Ennis.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Honestly, we're not talking about many more minutes if any compared to the run his line went on. It all comes down to whether or not there is a viable third scoring line in the mix. As to who draws defensive match-ups, that is up to the enemy generals.

The most practical thing I took away from this is that they currently have Ennis above Hodgson on the depth chart, the rest is conjecture for the time being. Further, that to me indicates not much more than the level of trust they have in each players, and understandably they have more in the guy they've had for two full seasons and change versus the guy who has only even been in the organization for a few months.
Well said and a nice injection of rational thought into the thread.

I don't see a huge deal with this beyond, as you pointed out, they see Ennis ahead of Hodgson on the depth chart.

I also think Ruff mentioning having his lines built like the Foligno/Ennis/Stafford line gives us a bit of a clue as to how they may move forward. It makes me think for example a line of Vanek/Hodgson/Pommer is not something they are looking to do. Since Ruff stated he wants a Foligno element on each line and none of them bring that.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Ruff taking risks means Grigs in the NHL imo.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Part of that is his higher number of offensive zone starts though. Saying he pins them in their own end constantly is a bit of a stretch since he ends less shifts in the offensive zone than he starts. I don't mean this is completely dismiss that line's possession capabilities but I think you're overblowing it as you do with most things related to Ennis.
I think these comments by Ruff show that the organization is closer to my line of thinking towards Ennis than it is to the consensus around here.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I think these comments by Ruff show that the organization is closer to my line of thinking towards Ennis than it is to the consensus around here.
What is the consensus around here?

Old
07-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Moskau

I generally like my coach talking up a player and his roles before they are even signed to a contract extension.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
From Ruff's interview it sounded more like he was giving Foligno the credit for changing things up and getting Ennis going by giving him the space he needs rather than Ennis individually. He certainly believes highly in Ennis which I can't blame him for. I'm going to wait for games to judge; until them we have no idea how he's actually going to manage the Ennis and Hodgson lines.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Dubi Doo

I'm excited for ennis and hodgson. I still want another move, though. This roster is very raw. There's some good talent, but the stars will have to align for a good playoff run.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
From Ruff's interview it sounded more like he was giving Foligno the credit for changing things up and getting Ennis going by giving him the space he needs rather than Ennis individually. He certainly believes highly in Ennis which I can't blame him for.
Foligno is undersold by some in his impact on that line. As you pointed out, Ruff felt he was a very big reason for that line's success by opening things up for Ennis and Stafford.

Quote:
I'm going to wait for games to judge; until them we have no idea how he's actually going to manage the Ennis and Hodgson lines.

I think we have a rough idea. The last 14gms is pretty much what I expect with the 3 line setup with each line getting roughly equal mintues and 4th line getting minimal minutes.

I expect lines of (in no particular order)

Foligno/Ennis/Stafford
xxxx/Hodgson/Vanek
Leino/xxxx/Pommer

I would expect Ott, Tropp, a potential trade acquisition and possibly even Girgensons as options for the xxxx spots. It would give an edge player to each line as Lindy mentioned he felt was a winning formula.