HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Jeff Halpern (1 year @ 700K)

Old
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
I dont know how this offseason has been "carastrophic.". Sather has not caved. He has made smart moves.

Prust was way overpaid. We paid $1.5 million less for Asham, who though I dont like, will be just as good as Prust.

Halpern is great on faceoffs. Good veteran presence.

Pyatt replaces Fedotenko and imo will provide more offense. Bigger body too though he doesnt use it so much. But then again Fedotenko really didnt either. And thats not me saying he was bad, he just wasnt a physical player.

Haley might not even be on the NHL roster. But its not terrible to have him at forward for those division rival games over Bickel.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Lexus Dog

I'll give you guys that. Nice
to have actual forwards playing forward.

Agree that Prust is overpaid.

Lexus Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I dont know how this offseason has been "carastrophic.". Sather has not caved. He has made smart moves.

Prust was way overpaid. We paid $1.5 million less for Asham, who though I dont like, will be just as good as Prust.

Pyatt replaces Fedotenko and imo will provide more offense. Bigger body too though he doesnt use it so much. But then again Fedotenko really didnt either. And thats not me saying he was bad, he just wasnt a physical player.

Haley might not even be on the NHL roster. But its not terrible to have him at forward for those division rival games over Bickel.
i dunno about that....ask Aaron Rome and others

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Because ES defense and PK are completely different. THAT'S not debatable.

Boyle is a fantastic PKer. He's nothing to write home about ES on defense, though.
The last bastion of hope for Anisimov over Boyle guys is this ES defensive play ********. Boyle is just as good 5-on-5 in his own zone. Frankly, I think he's a fair bit better.

Just to appease you guys who continue to spout this nonsense, I'll compromise and say that they are equal defensively 5-on-5.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Really thats all you can do? Make faces? I'm serious. This fourth line is shaping up to be worse than last year's.
That's all you deserve. You haven't made a point so why should I waste my time commenting back to your nonsense?

Old
07-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i dunno about that....ask Aaron Rome and others

Haha Oh Baby, I can not wait until next season.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Halpern on Torts: "I liked playing for him in Tampa and Iíve always kind of admired from afar the teams that heís coached. So Iím thrilled"
https://twitter.com/bmcnally14/statu...22680754257921

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Haha Oh Baby, I can not wait until next season.
Imagine if Boyle used his size the way this guy does.

Oak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post

Yeah he's got a bigger body but his lack of playoff experience may show come that time of year. (I'm only making this argument based on his "replacement" status for Fedetenko.)

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The last bastion of hope for Anisimov over Boyle guys is this ES defensive play ********. Boyle is just as good 5-on-5 in his own zone. Frankly, I think he's a fair bit better.

Just to appease you guys who continue to spout this nonsense, I'll compromise and say that they are equal defensively 5-on-5.
Jonathan
Don't buy into their nonsense, these are probably all people who were in the Brian Boyle is a God in the Senator series and thought it was over once he was knocked out, but suddenly Anisimov is better defensively... what a crock of ****!

At even strength all one has to do to know how has a better defensive game is watch two things:
1) who covers when defenseman pinch, 2 players stand out at doing this Boyle first and Richards second, I can't even think to a time when Anisimov was so aware to do this when he played center and it was something I noted when this board debated how great he is defensively
2) Anisimov is a string bean and shoved around all over the ice, I don't want him in front of the net in the defensive zone where he won't be able to move a single body let alone block any shots

This is NOT a debate, Boyle is twice the player defensively Anisimov is, Boyle is by far our second best defensive forward behind only Callahan

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident61494 View Post
Yeah he's got a bigger body but his lack of playoff experience may show come that time of year. (I'm only making this argument based on his "replacement" status for Fedetenko.)
Pyatt was awesome this postseason.

07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I am happy about both simgings,this still doesnt address scoring .....Hopefully Doan and Ryan are NYR soon =)

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
I really don't get why anyone is against Boyle as the 3rd line center.
Im not by any means..im a big fan of Boyle.he might do well as a 3rd liner with more reg ice time

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Why would making AA the 3rd line center be the death of his career? Because you have some antiquated mindset of what a 3rd line role is supposed to be?

I want production from all three lines. I'm not getting that with Boyle centering Dubinsky and Hagelin. Not a playmaker amongst them. Sure they will be good defensively, but at the cost of being a danger to score goals? No thanks.

The drop off defensively between Boyle and AA is not enough in my opinion to justify putting someone that is clearly inferior offensively in that spot.

You said it your self. Boyle has played 30 more games and has 30 less points. AA is the better offensive player and a good defensive player. We get production and defensive awareness from a 3rd line which makes the Rangers a better and deeper team to play against
You talk as if Anisimov is the second coming of Petr Nedved, the problem is he is not even that. Since when is Anisimov a playmaker? With his mere 20 assists last season while playing with Gaborik (41 goals) and Stepan (17 goals) for a large portion of the season. That third line you mention has no true playmakers and Anisimov's production will decrease. Besides Hagelin will probably be getting top 6 minutes until Gaborik comes back.

Look at Dubinsky, 1st line player in 2010-2011, started off poorly in 11-12 and his minutes and caliber of linemates decreased, his production took a nosedive. You really think Anisimov with Hagelin and Dubinsky is going to boost his numbers? He will be going against teams top lines more often than not, focusing on defense instead of offense and be lacking the support of Gaborik and Stepan. If you don't understand that, then we don't have to continue debating this because I figured that since you have been around since the ESPN board days you would know better.

Torts likes to roll 3 lines, I agree that we need more scoring from the 3rd line, but that third line you propose will be eaten alive defensively with Anisimov in the middle. There is a reason Torts moved him to winger, he is not strong enough or smart enough defensively to be a center, yeah I said it. If he was that good he would be getting regular PK time over the likes of Stepan and Richards who were primarily given PK time because they can win faceoffs, something else Anisimov cannot do.

Boyle is a solid 3rd liner, nothing flashy, but we aren't the Penguins with the luxury of having Crosby, Malkin, and Staal down the middle before they dealt Staal. If Anisimov is so good defensively and at center I am sure Torts will give up on the experiment of using him as a winger... I am holding my breath because it is inevitable since it was posted on HFboards.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Lexus Dog

Quote:
That's all you deserve. You haven't made a point so why should I waste my time commenting back to your nonsense?
Youre a real luminary.

Now, please tell me more about how claiming our fourth line isn't as good as NJ's is "nonsense".

Old
07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Youre a real luminary.

Now, please tell me more about how claiming our fourth line isn't as good as NJ's is "nonsense".
Gionta sucks. Bernier is not good. The only guy on the 4th line I wouldn't mind having is Carter.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Jonathan
Don't buy into their nonsense, these are probably all people who were in the Brian Boyle is a God in the Senator series and thought it was over once he was knocked out, but suddenly Anisimov is better defensively... what a crock of ****!

At even strength all one has to do to know how has a better defensive game is watch two things:
1) who covers when defenseman pinch, 2 players stand out at doing this Boyle first and Richards second, I can't even think to a time when Anisimov was so aware to do this when he played center and it was something I noted when this board debated how great he is defensively
2) Anisimov is a string bean and shoved around all over the ice, I don't want him in front of the net in the defensive zone where he won't be able to move a single body let alone block any shots

This is NOT a debate, Boyle is twice the player defensively Anisimov is, Boyle is by far our second best defensive forward behind only Callahan
Yeah I agree. Look, I like Anisimov. But the dude needs to **** or get off the pot. If he's not going to take the next step then we need to ****ing realize that and either embrace him for what he is or cut bait now.

Anisimov is simply not as good defensively as he can and should be. Boyle is easily the better defensive player. Again, it's why the guy gets PK time. Torts is very giving with PK time and if you are good defensively you will be out there. Anisimov is decent at covering his man in the defensive zone. Big ****ing whoop.

He's an incredibly frustrating player, really.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Lexus Dog

Quote:
Gionta sucks. Bernier is not good. The only guy on the 4th line I wouldn't mind having is Carter.
They really sucked and were no good against us in the ECF. Come on.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
GamerZX101

Boyle can be the 3rd line center, at least until Gaborik comes back and everyone gets moved down a bit.

Hagelin-Richards-Doan/Nash/etc.
Kreider-Stepan-Cally
Dubinsky-Boyle-AA
Pyatt-Halpern-Asham/Rupp/Haley

That's fine to start the year with. Everyone complains about Boyle being the 3rd center, but he really isn't. He's the 5th center but Dubi and Anisimov can play the wing so they're there. Torts used Boyle on his main checking lines last year, and he will again this year. It's not a huge deal.

Still think a trade is coming.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Trident61494

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Pyatt was awesome this postseason.
Then who's worried

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:01 PM
NJRangers35

Still think Pyatt was brought in for the third line. You win Stanley Cups by being strong down the middle and I am not sure Richards/Stepan/Boyle/Halpern is strong enough.

NJRangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

So, 24 hours later, and during the baseball All Star game nonetheless...Jeff Halpern is trending on Twitter.

Color me confused.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Sorry. AA being better defensively is a complete myth.
I concur. I don't even think it's debatable, and I'm not a Brian Boyle super fan by any stretch...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
This guy is criminally underrated..even as a 3rd/4th liner. Love this signing.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:52 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Sorry. AA being better defensively is a complete myth.
5 on 5 anisimov is a superior defender to Boyle... But it doesn't mean I wouldn't trade aa and keep Boyle

The reason aa isnt on the pk is because he isn't the greatest shot blocker and his stops and starts are a little late, but as far as reading the defensive zone I'll say with confidence he's one of the best if not the best forward defender this team has had the last 3 seasons

Boyle has been caught out of position many a time out there.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote