HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

STL Interested in Brenden Morrow + NYR, SJ, and LA

Old
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Has Pomminville fallen that much out of favor? He had 73 points last season, dude. Why put him on line 3?

Also, I'm not sure if Leopold is whom we want.
Just balancing the lines, they'll get rolled out rather equally. We finished the season with Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp, Foligno-Ennis-Stafford, and Leino-Roy-Pominville...and those lines really clicked. Morrow is basically a better Tropp, so trying to use minimal disruption of lines. Though some advocate for stacking the top line, in which case I suppose Morrow and Pominville would be flipped. But the lines as I wrote them also balance the physical presence across all four lines.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
I know. Not a big fan of that top 4 d-man, but Morrow may not want to go to Calgary.
I guess I just assumed that Canadian players wouldn't be against the idea of playing in Canada, especially if it's a guy from SK playing in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Tallinder for Morrow
That sounds like a good trade, IMO. If Morrow's not coming to STL, I'd rather he wind up in the East...

Any chance Morrow gets moved for picks/prospects in order to free up cap space to pursue Shane Doan?

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:52 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
I guess I just assumed that Canadian players wouldn't be against the idea of playing in Canada, especially if it's a guy from SK playing in Alberta.
My statement had more (read: everything) to do with Calgary's ability to win a cup now.

Quote:
Any chance Morrow gets moved for picks/prospects in order to free up cap space to pursue Shane Doan?
Probably not. If anything, Doan being off the market could help us boost the return for Morrow.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Well, Gagne could be part of a 3 team trade. Bottom line is, if Morrow's a king, someone HAS to go, and most likely will be Gagne.

Best part about TH taking AM's spot is that they both shoot left.
I doubt it would be Gagne. Gagne still has speed and is a natural goal scorer. I don't think Lombardi would move him after just signing him as a UFA the summer before. It sends a bad message.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that the Kings are really making an offer for Morrow that Dallas would accept.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
letmesleep

As a Blues fan, I don't think I would give up any roster player for Morrow. His health is a risk, the reward of a healthy Morrow is probably only 20g 20a (which doesn't upgrade any of our winger positions), and he only has one year left on his deal. On top of that, he has a no trade clause so he wouldn't be traded to the highest bidder, only to the highest contender, which also hurts his value.

I don't think I trade any more than a 2nd on Morrow and even that is a big maybe. Dallas probably says no to that deal. I don't see a Morrow to STL trade happening in the future.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:56 PM
ncook91

Morrow to St. Louis for Fairchild and a 2nd round pick.

ncook91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Missionhockey

If Morrow is available, the Devils better be in on this.

Big body presence with veteran leadership that can put the puck in the net? Tailor made for the Devils right now.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Blues will need to add salary to hit the current cap floor. I could see them being in on Morrow till the end.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:

That sounds like a good trade, IMO. If Morrow's not coming to STL, I'd rather he wind up in the East...

Lol....."free up cap space".

I don't think Dallas has even hit the cap floor yet.

07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The fact that the Blues were in on Carle til late suggests they have another ~5M or so in budget room. Also they are at 43.25M in actual payroll while their cap # is at 49.5M (when you promote Woyrika as the 7th dman, Chorney or Fairchild would be basically identical). Petro will hit some of his bonuses as will Tarasenko and probably Langenbrunner.

If they were in on Carle they could probably be in on Doan and certainly Morrow. Thank god they didn't get Carle though.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncook91 View Post
Morrow to St. Louis for Fairchild and a 2nd round pick.
Hmmm....that seems reasonable. If they want a forward instead, maybe swap out Fairchild for McRae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Lol....."free up cap space".

I don't think Dallas has even hit the cap floor yet.
Well, they're $4m below the floor and do still have 6 or 7 RFA's to re-sign, including Jamie Benn (whose salary alone will get them above the floor), but I see your point. I guess I should say "free up salary in case new ownership wants to keep the team on a tight budget".

Old
07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Well, they're $4m below the floor and do still have 6 or 7 RFA's to re-sign, including Jamie Benn (whose salary alone will get them above the floor), but I see your point. I guess I should say "free up salary in case new ownership wants to keep the team on a tight budget".
He doesn't.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He doesn't.
They why move him?

He's getting a little older, recovering from some injuries, and the team has signed some FA's with offensive ability - it seems like transitioning Morrow from Top-6 to Bottom-6 is completely understandable. Or is this whole thread more of that "he's a UFA next summer so clearly he's being traded"-type speculation?

Unless he thinks he's a Top-6 forward and tells DAL that he's not re-signing next summer as a result, you have to keep him. He's too important.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
They why move him?
Because he's part of the old leadership core of the team that has failed to make the playoffs and is therefore getting moved out. Ott and Ribeiro are gone, Morrow might not be far behind.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
They why move him?

He's getting a little older, recovering from some injuries, and the team has signed some FA's with offensive ability - it seems like transitioning Morrow from Top-6 to Bottom-6 is completely understandable. Or is this whole thread more of that "he's a UFA next summer so clearly he's being traded"-type speculation?

Unless he thinks he's a Top-6 forward and tells DAL that he's not re-signing next summer as a result, you have to keep him. He's too important.
Change the leadership core and the culture of the team.

Rune Forumwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
I know. Not a big fan of that top 4 d-man, but Morrow may not want to go to Calgary.
Not going to happen from a Calgary standpoint anyways.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
They why move him?
His leadership is in question. The old leadership core has failed to reach the post season for 4 consecutive years, hence Ott and Ribiero are gone. Moving Morrow has nothing to do with freeing up cap space for Jamie Benn. Tom Gaglardi (new owner) stated that there is no internal budget, but they have to be smart when handing out contracts.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

This could totally go either way.

From Mike Heika:

Quote:
“You asked me: Do I want to be a Dallas Star, and the answer is definitely yes,” Morrow said. “If they want to trade me or they indicate to me that they don’t want me, then obviously I don’t want to be there or stand in their way. But, until they say that they want to trade me or ask me to waive my no-trade clause, then I’m excited to be on the team and I’m ready to get going next season.”

Morrow has one year left on his contract making $4.1 million, so he is a viable commodity on the trade market. When the Shane Doan situation works itself out, there could be teams that call up the Stars and ask what it would take to get Morrow. At that time, the current plan could change.

“I read the rumors and I know what’s going on,” Morrow said. “I know it’s a business.”

But, he also knows he has an airtight no-trade clause and he would have to be a part of any discussion that leads to his departure from the team.

“I feel good where we are right now, but I also know things change,” Morrow said. “Right now, I’m just focused on me and my health. I figure if I take care of that, everything else will work out fine.”

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

morrow would look good on the caps 2nd line next to ribeiro. maybe the stars would take a 3rd and another meh prospect.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
morrow would look good on the caps 2nd line next to ribeiro. maybe the stars would take a 3rd and another meh prospect.
Morrow is worth more to the Dallas organization than Ribiero. It's going to cost more than that. Joe Nieuwendyk clearly hated Ribiero (he wanted him gone for years) and getting him off the team was a priority. Brenden Morrow has value throughout the organization. It's going to take more than a 'meh' prospect to acquire Morrow.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I doubt it would be Gagne. Gagne still has speed and is a natural goal scorer. I don't think Lombardi would move him after just signing him as a UFA the summer before. It sends a bad message.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that the Kings are really making an offer for Morrow that Dallas would accept.
Agree on all counts. Calling to kick the tires doesn't necessarily mean real interest. Morrow is probably a player DL admires and he wouldn't be doing his due diligence if Morrow is available and he at least didn't inquire. Beyond that, I just find the scenario highly unlikely on a number of levels.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Are the Rangers really in on Morrow? Have any of the Rangers beat writers, or sources chimed in to confirm this? Seems a little Odd. Not that Morrow isn't a great player, he is. I question if he is a good it on this Rangers team.

Rangers got to where they were this year on fresh legs. This year direction has already changed. While they added one younger player in Haleyz(26), the other additions are all over 30. Asham (34) Pyatt (30) Halpern(36)...Morrow(33) would be another. Not such a young team anymore?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Are the Rangers really in on Morrow? Have any of the Rangers beat writers, or sources chimed in to confirm this? Seems a little Odd. Not that Morrow isn't a great player, he is. I question if he is a good it on this Rangers team.

Rangers got to where they were this year on fresh legs. This year direction has already changed. While they added one younger player in Haleyz(26), the other additions are all over 30. Asham (34) Pyatt (30) Halpern(36)...Morrow(33) would be another. Not such a young team anymore?
So a bunch of un important and easily replaceable 4th liners make them a non young team?

07-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
So a bunch of un important and easily replaceable 4th liners make them a non young team?
Morrow wouldn't be a 4th liner. Pyatt is likely a 3rd liner to play alongside Boyle. No matter how you slice it...They are getting older in the players they have added so far.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Morrow wouldn't be a 4th liner. Pyatt is likely a 3rd liner to play alongside Boyle. No matter how you slice it...They are getting older in the players they have added so far.
You conveniently forgot Asham (34) 4th liner and Halpern (36) 4th liner.

Pyatt at 30 isn't terrible.

Nice try.

Also, there is no guarantee we even get Morrow.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote