HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Roster Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 06:01 PM
BoltSTH

vCash: 500
George Parros signed with Kittens. I hope no one on our roster decides to take him on.

Old
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Muhammad Aulie is one bad melonfarmer when he wants to be. I'm not super worried about it, as long as he's dressed. Go look him up on hockeyfights.com if you're unsure. Case in point

I think management has made it fairly clear that we won't be hiring guys whose best skill is fighting, and I have no problem with that. As long as you have a couple good cop/bad cop guys to keep the other team honest.

And hey, Stamkos looked ok in his first (and probably last) fight

Old
07-09-2012, 09:38 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Muhammad Aulie is one bad melonfarmer when he wants to be. I'm not super worried about it, as long as he's dressed. Go look him up on hockeyfights.com if you're unsure. Case in point

I think management has made it fairly clear that we won't be hiring guys whose best skill is fighting, and I have no problem with that. As long as you have a couple good cop/bad cop guys to keep the other team honest.

Zherdev isn't the only one he's thrown punches at.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
I love the way our team looks, but I do not think anybody can make the argument that we are a tough team to play against.
I'm actually really excited to see which guys crack the lineup. Complaints aside, I am truly looking forward to seeing some of the young studs in action next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I think Tyrell, Connolly, and Brown can add some grit to our team. Tyrell didn't play a lot last season but he can hit. He's small, but with Tyrell in the lineup for the whole season he'll do his part as a grinder. JT Brown hasn't really showed us all he can do. In his limited time up here we didn't get to see the feistiness of his game he was known for in Minnesota Duluth. Maybe we'll see that when training camp rolls around after working out this summer and getting more comfortable on the ice. Connolly needs to get more physical. We've seen him land some good hits but he's hasn't been consistent in this department. He took in a lot last season and still has room to get stronger. Like Brown we know that the physical side is apart of both their games. They've been dominating against kids their own age in college and in the WHL, just not yet against men in the NHL. If they both take some a big steps this summer to getting stronger, that'll help us for sure.
Listing those guys makes me think you have a pretty low standard for grittiness, but I do agree that it will be interesting to see what happens with Brown and Connolly once they're bigger and stronger. Those guys aren't exactly soft, but they don't impact our toughness as a team imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post

Sadly, we don't. Labrie might fit the bill but he's got some very stiff competition when it comes to making the team out of camp.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Zherdev isn't the only one he's thrown punches at.
Stamkos has always had some feistiness to his game, but I think Downie rubbed off on him a little bit as well. I love it when he shows that kind of emotion.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Callum
Kiwi

Our team is looking great so far. We may not be the toughest team to play against but our players arent easily intimidated.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:08 AM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
He does stupid **** sometimes, but hes otherwise solid.

Besides, Downie was the same way.

Also, prob some news in the next 72 hours I think.
OMG, WE'RE GETTING DOAN!>!?!?!?!!!

For serious though, Boucher did mention getting a top six forward, maybe. There are relatively few FA options that fit that bill left on the market...unless the 'news' is a trade.

As much as us fans see the hole at 3rd line center, it really seems like the rhetoric points to them letting Pyatt, Hall, Killorn, Tyrell(?), Pouliot(?), Angelidis(?), or someone else internally fill the bottom 6 center spot not filled by Nate. I tend to agree with the consensus that Moore would be a nice fit. Others I think could beat out the internal group; Arnott, Morrison, Brule, Wellwood, Madden, or maybe even Mueller.

I don't want anybody too 'goon'ie, just because our sizeable players don't go cruising for trouble doesn't mean they're *******. As long as they battle for themselves and each other we'll be fine.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:18 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
Giving a 4 year contract to Brandon Prust won't make or break us. If it does, then I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong. But in the meantime, I'll keep breathing because I have a funny feeling if I held my breath I wouldn't be the one coming out on top.

Asham is currently still suspended and after the **** he pulled in the playoffs last year, you really want a guy like that on your team? That's just a good way to get your star players targeted not steer teams away from them. I'll never understand the infatuation that some of you on here have with this guy.

Konopka would be great, if you want minimal scoring and 200+ PIMs. I'd think I'd rather have Thompson, but that's just me.

Carkner and Haley are bums. But I'm not surprised you brought them up either.
I gave all those guys as tough guy free agent examples. Never did I say 4 year contract. You have a nasty habit of putting words in mouth, and considering the quote feature, I would think you'd realize I'm not saying or implying the things you accuse me of.

4th line centers aren't here for scoring. I, my opinion which is an opinion so can't be wrong, think a tough guy is something important for a team. I'd take a tough guy who can keep our stars safe and puts some grit on the lineup over a 10 goal scorer who doesn't play much either.

I brough up Carkner and Haley because they were UFA tough guys, not sure why your stupid little remark about me bringing them up makes sense. Your sarcasm didn't fit, since I was mentioning guys along that line.

And I like this AlaskanAssassin guy. Someone else with a similar attitude as myself towards hockey and more specifically this team. Realizes criticism is part of fanship, not blind loyalty.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:36 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

When I say our team lacks toughness, I'm not saying we need an enforcer. Like others here, I'm saying we're missing that size and grittiness that can rough and tumble and still be relatively productive on the score sheet, while still able to drop the gloves if need be. I really wanted Gaustad to fill our third line center vacancy, but his price tag was quite high. Outside of his toughness and leadership, he was also outstanding on face-offs, something we lost when we traded Moore (Hall is good but he's on the 4th line and Vinny and Nate weren't great on the draw last year).

The kind of tough guys I'm hoping for through trade would be: Dave Bolland, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll, Kyle Brodziak, Boyd Gordon, Manny Malhotra and Jim Slater. To a lesser extent Dave Steckel too.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
George Parros signed with Kittens. I hope no one on our roster decides to take him on.
This guy?

I bet he's not so tough without his mustache. Let's see him stop hiding behind it and see how well he does.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:02 AM
sinbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
When I say our team lacks toughness, I'm not saying we need an enforcer. Like others here, I'm saying we're missing that size and grittiness that can rough and tumble and still be relatively productive on the score sheet, while still able to drop the gloves if need be. I really wanted Gaustad to fill our third line center vacancy, but his price tag was quite high. Outside of his toughness and leadership, he was also outstanding on face-offs, something we lost when we traded Moore (Hall is good but he's on the 4th line and Vinny and Nate weren't great on the draw last year).

The kind of tough guys I'm hoping for through trade would be: Dave Bolland, Steve Ott, Jarret Stoll, Kyle Brodziak, Boyd Gordon, Manny Malhotra and Jim Slater. To a lesser extent Dave Steckel too.
Have you seen the North teams rosters ? Tampa needs a fighter.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Whatever happened to the defenseman who fights? Why send Aulie down at all? He can scrap and play, and if Boucher's got 7D that night, then for a few minutes, he's got 6.

Makes more sense than signing a forward, going with 11 forwards in a game, and one of them fighting.

There is an argument that he's not developing in the penalty box, but it's not like we'd expect our 'fighter' to fight every game, either.

That being said, in Aulie's 76 NHL games, he's been in 3 fights. He's been in 20 more throughout his juniors/AHL career, but I'm not sure that fighting is really part of his game either.

He did have a spurt of 5 fights in 36 games for the Marlies though.

Of course, it doesn't always need to come to fisticuffs, just getting in a scrum where the linesmen have to separate them may be enough to let the other team know to back the **** off.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old
07-10-2012, 09:22 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm all for having someone who can take a scrap but they have to be able to take a shift too, and not be a liability like a lot of guys. Sadly, that narrows it and drives the price of those guys up further to a point where you wonder if its even worth it. If only Labries footspeed were a little better, he'd be awesome.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/erlendssontrib
Quote:
They've reached out to Doan, but unsure of his interest RT @tampabolts I take it the bolts are done looking for free agents such as Doan?

Old
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Jeff Halpern signed with the Rangers.

Twitter is a buzz about Brendan Morrow apparently being on the trade block.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

We can afford another relatively expensive guy. Just dont know if there is anybody worth it. Probably smarter to wait until theres a right fit.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:39 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
He does stupid **** sometimes, but hes otherwise solid.

Besides, Downie was the same way.

Also, prob some news in the next 72 hours I think.
God..? Is that you? For your next trick can you keep the team healthy please?

Old
07-10-2012, 05:33 PM
LightningStrikes

We now have 12 forwards on one-way contracts:

Lecavalier
Stamkos
St. Louis
Malone
Purcell
Pouliot
Crombeen
Thompson
Hall
Tyrell
Pyatt
Wilson

And another 8 (7*) defensemen:

Carle
Hedman
Brewer
Salo
(Ohlund*)
Lee
Bergeron
Mikkelson

With Garon and Lindback in goal and Ohlund* probably on IR that leaves us with 21 players on the roster who are on one-way contracts for next season. Aulie is still with the team and has to go through waivers. Which leaves us with one open roster spot for one of Brown, Connolly, Wyman, Killorn or Conacher (barring further trades). The addition of Wilson in the Lindback deal still confuses me, tbh. Where does he fit?

Old
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Fear The Flash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
The addition of Wilson in the Lindback deal still confuses me, tbh. Where does he fit?
He fills the void left by Gervais on the ever important popcorn selling team.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
HoseEmDown

Are you sure Tyrells on a one way deal?

Old
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
The deal beginning this year is one-way.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:37 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Yes.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|TBL|home

Old
07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
We may have taken Wilson just as a favor to Nashville since he's on a one way deal and Nashville is a budget team. Not sure he was acquired as anything more than depth or a top player in Syracuse.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
KareemTrustfund
The Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

Which leaves us with one open roster spot for one of Brown, Connolly, Wyman, Killorn or Conacher (barring further trades). The addition of Wilson in the Lindback deal still confuses me, tbh. Where does he fit?
Thats a tough decision. I think it boils down to either Brown or Connolly, and I think Connolly could use some time on a good Syracuse team. Conacher and Killorn are both interesting, but I think both are destined for the A. Theres gonna be tons of competition for these spots.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
HoseEmDown

I'm wondering why we resigned Hall now, I see him being a healthy scratch a lot. Wilson's a similar player who's younger and has a better PPG average and Crombeen we acquired picks for so he'll play.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:30 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
I'm wondering why we resigned Hall now, I see him being a healthy scratch a lot. Wilson's a similar player who's younger and has a better PPG average and Crombeen we acquired picks for so he'll play.
Hall is very good at faceoffs and the PK, though.

Closed Thread