HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How does our prospects rate against the rest of the NHL?

View Poll Results: How do we rate?
Top 5 1 2.08%
Top 10 1 2.08%
Top 15 4 8.33%
Bottom 15 21 43.75%
Bottom 10 18 37.50%
Bottom 5 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2012, 03:53 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I have no clue how we rate compared to other teams, but looking 2 to 3 years out, is this a team that can compete? By the way, we seem to have a lot of centers in our depth chart.

Kane Scheifele Wheeler
Telegin Burmistrov Machacek
Ladd Little Cormier
Klingberg Slater Kosmachuk
Sutter

Bogosian Byfuglien
Enstrom Trouba
Kulda Postma
Stuart

Pavelec
Pasquale

Taking a second look at this, I would move Little up to the second line and have Burmistrov on the wing. Cormier would center the third line with Machacek on the right wing.
I agree with your amendments. I am glad we have lots of centres.

Long term I don't think Burmi will stay at C.
I think Telegin is done.
Little might not last there either.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:58 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
That is exactly the point. There are less variables in a good prospect pool.

More high end players that are closer to NHL ready.
Ah, I get it now. It's an opinion thing ... we're not looking for everyone to assess 1000+ players, grouped according to 30 teams, on basis of their individual skill sets and recent performances on hundreds of teams in dozens of different leagues worldwide, and evaluate their collective team-wise potential going forward.

I'll say top 15, but if I were to do the above, I may say top 15 or bottom 15.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
I agree with your amendments. I am glad we have lots of centres.

Long term I don't think Burmi will stay at C.
I think Telegin is done.
Little might not last there either.
Like career over injury wise? Or done at C?

I hope it's the second because I didn't think he was going to be a C either.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Like career over injury wise? Or done at C?

I hope it's the second because I didn't think he was going to be a C either.
Oh, crap. Poor wording. I just think he is done as a centre. He spent most of this season on the wing and even the Jets official site lists him on the LW.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Ah, I get it now. It's an opinion thing ... we're not looking for everyone to assess 1000+ players, grouped according to 30 teams, on basis of their individual skill sets and recent performances on hundreds of teams in dozens of different leagues worldwide, and evaluate their collective team-wise potential going forward.

I'll say top 15, but if I were to do the above, I may say top 15 or bottom 15.
My question is, how deep a prospect pool is enough and is it quantity or quality?
For the sake of discussion, let's assume you want to get all your top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen with early draft selections and can augment the rest through UFA and later selections. And lets say the average career of a top player (not average NHL-er) is 10 years. That would mean that so long as you had 1 top-tier selection coming through every year, you could reach a steady-state where you could replace your top-10 core as they moved through their careers.
If that is true, then we are not far away from that state, regardless of what other teams have.
It's quality.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

I was optimistic and went with bottom 15. This is a MUCH improved prospect pool, the depth has improved by miles and miles. Depth players like Maxwell, Maceneur are no longer finding their way into the top 10, hell when TNSE bought this team guys that could not stick in the AHL like Esposito and Aliu were in the top 15/20. It was sad sad. It was the worst prospect grouping in the league or damn near.

That being said, it is still not that amazing. I really do like Scheifele and Trouba, but neither projects to be a true star at the next level. Both are going to be solid players, IMO, but not stars per se. And having guys that project to depth guys like Cormier, Machacek, Klingberg still hanging around as high as they are, the system still leaves much to be desired in the high potential area. There is still plenty of work to be done, that's for sure. I look at a system over in LA that has been decimated by trading away prospects and draft picks for the past 2 years in order to win a Cup, yet is still better than ours, it is kinda dissapointing, but not that long ago LA was in the same situation (around 08) as us, so I am confident this team can start to win AND build the prospect depth we next year.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I was optimistic and went with bottom 15. This is a MUCH improved prospect pool, the depth has improved by miles and miles. Depth players like Maxwell, Maceneur are no longer finding their way into the top 10, hell when TNSE bought this team guys that could not stick in the AHL like Esposito and Aliu were in the top 15/20. It was sad sad. It was the worst prospect grouping in the league or damn near.

That being said, it is still not that amazing. I really do like Scheifele and Trouba, but neither projects to be a true star at the next level. Both are going to be solid players, IMO, but not stars per se. And having guys that project to depth guys like Cormier, Machacek, Klingberg still hanging around as high as they are, the system still leaves much to be desired in the high potential area. There is still plenty of work to be done, that's for sure. I look at a system over in LA that has been decimated by trading away prospects and draft picks for the past 2 years in order to win a Cup, yet is still better than ours, it is kinda dissapointing, but not that long ago LA was in the same situation (around 08) as us, so I am confident this team can start to win AND build the prospect depth we next year.

Agree.

And 2013 may be a very important draft for Jets. Especially if they move veteran players (Antro/Hainsey) at the deadline for more top 60 (and/or top 90) picks, our prospect cupboard might be filled quite nicely.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Agree.

And 2013 may be a very important draft for Jets. Especially if they move veteran players (Antro/Hainsey) at the deadline for more top 60 (and/or top 90) picks, our prospect cupboard might be filled quite nicely.
People keep saying this, but one of the problems is that you cannot have too many picks in one draft. They already have 6 top 90 picks and 10 picks in that draft. That means 6-8 guys could potentially be looking for NHL/AHL spots and contracts in 2015 on top of some NCAA that will also need it then (potentially Serville, Harstad, Stoykewych and maybe Trouba, Kasdorf, Phillips, Hellebuyck if they come out early). That will really limit your options. You have to spread out when your talent is turning pro/needing contracts, can't have too many each year. The Jets can still add some more picks, for 2013, but I'd be interested in more established prospects, specifically for Hainsey.

But I do agree, I think 2013 WILL be the defining draft for this management team. If they blunder that one, by 15/16 (when we'll know if they blundered it) we will likely have a new GM. If they do a good job, we should be a contender by 14/15 with great talent coming through the pipeline still to trade for stars/develop into stars.

But most of all, I really think the Jets should be competing for playoffs next year, NOT selling off everybody and tanking. This team has languished too long at the bottom. They have some pieces, you can still add pieces while you are starting to make steps in the right direction.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Most don't consider them to be prospects anymore. When they say the cupboards are bare, they aren't counting those guys.
Thats what i said in my original post.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:29 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm thinking around bottom 10-5...
I think we got a looong way to go. I'm not dissing Chevy or against his picks, but we are very low on top end talent. Some of our guys have improved and shown flashes but, for the most part, most of our prospects are depth, or just barely above depth, players who will most likely play the majority of their careers in the AHL or bottom 3/6...
We've made some improvement and have a tough base to work on but have a long way to go and need to start building more high-end skill than just grit and maybe take some risks.
You can say stuff like its too early to tell and impossible to determine, but you can actually extrapolate statistical chance of "success" with picks. They aren't always right but they are actually founded in facts than pure speculation.
I do think Holden is right where we have a lot of pieces we can build from. But we have to continue doing things smart, maybe even smarter than we currently have been.

Last edited by garret9: 07-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
MrWigglez

MUCH better than when we got the team, but still very thin. I went with bottom 10.

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
Bottom 15, closer to the mid point than bottom, and gradually improving.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:46 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 661
Quote:
Exactly, the lack of high end talent and the newness (aka risk) of players that looks like they have a chance (Trouba / Lowry / Kos / Sutter) really weighs things down.

If we consider Burmi, Kane and Bogo as prospects that are playing in the NHL (which isn't really a stretch) the team isn't in that bad of a spot, but as is we need just about everybody to pan out before we will have true depth.

Sorry Truck (like the name BTW) but yes it is a stretch to call Kane and Bogo prospects. Kane is a 30 goal scorer and Bogo a young stud d-man. If Kane and Bogo are prospects then so are Stamkos and Doughty What they are are young core players. Can't count them to fill up the cupboard.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote