HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Is the Blue Jacket defense a finished product?

Old
07-08-2012, 03:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
As it stands right now:

Nash Brassard Juice/ Semin
Foligno Ry Jo R J Umberger
Atkinson Letestu Dorsett
Gillies Mackenzie Boll

JJ JWiz
Toots Nik
Moore/ Murray/Savard Aucoin

Bob

True that the top line RW is completely open,, and Nash may or may not be here. Although I think the defense could end up being pretty good - the offensive lines are really
jumbled. Doesn't seem to be much history that you can draw on. Looking forward to the 3rd line actually being Foligno Letestu RJ. If the top six can get some traction this 3rd line
could be good.
I think RJ is a left winger and Atkinson plays on the right. Your lineup would be so much funnier if you'd flip the options at 1st line right wing.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Then he'd only be able see out of one eye! (obscure reference to a former CBJ blueliner)
The only CBJ defenseman to ever score a hat trick?*

*I could be wrong on that point, but at this second I can't even think of a defenseman this team has ever had aside from him before JJ or Wiz that would even be capable of it

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
The only CBJ defenseman to ever score a hat trick?*

*I could be wrong on that point, but at this second I can't even think of a defenseman this team has ever had aside from him before JJ or Wiz that would even be capable of it
Deron Quint scored a hat trick as well

Jovavic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I think RJ is a left winger and Atkinson plays on the right. Your lineup would be so much funnier if you'd flip the options at 1st line right wing.
RJ has played out of position for us for so long slotting in with Nash, I really just couldn't put Cam up on the 2nd line and I'd like to see Foligno and RJ play together. I realize it all a scrambled mess.

Also forgot to add Prospal, lw / center

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
EspenK

Since the average lifespan of a Jacket line is about 3 shifts, I don't think its worth a lot of effort. Especially this year, with or without nash. WAFM. (the ol' effen mess radio )

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Deron Quint scored a hat trick as well
Well I'll be damned

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Since the average lifespan of a Jacket line is about 3 shifts, I don't think its worth a lot of effort. Especially this year, with or without nash. WAFM. (the ol' effen mess radio )
Don't make me break out the Line-O-Matic!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Ok Lee answer me this,,

How can this franchise be over 10 years old and we still don't have a decent RW? Centres need to be developed,, RW's are supposed to be easier to come by.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:21 PM
jacketsinDC

I will say that the columbus D looks exciting to watch- JJ and wiz in particular. By the time they were both around last year i'd already given up.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
I will say that the columbus D looks exciting to watch- JJ and wiz in particular. By the time they were both around last year i'd already given up.
It was a small sample/preview, but JJ's 14 points in 21 games, and +5 opened alot of eyes. Now if he can just continue that level of production...that would be a Norris nomination season (50+ points, +15).

Tyutin looked very good all year, minus injury time.

Nikitin had a great second half, struggled for a bit when Tyutin went down, but got it back on track.

Wisniewski had a rough year, and imo will be the guy to watch this season. I think Johnson pushes him to the next level.

The 3rd pairing should be solid with Aucoin and one of the kids (Moore/Savard/Murray). Personally, I think Murray is better off in Juniors/AHL for the first half of the season, and then there is Prout who I think could be our most physical defenseman and a great option to have.

The defense has never looked so good, and so well stocked with youth in waiting. I think alot of the doom and gloom crowd underestimate what a defensive unit like this can do for the goal tending tandem. Like I said in the Bob thread, I think this is a hell of an oppurtunity for Bobrovsky to get back into a #1 role, or to a less extent, for Mason to get himself back on track ().

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The defense has never looked so good, and so well stocked with youth in waiting.
I don't think you would find anyone objecting to that. At least much. It's a pretty low bar.

Quote:
I think alot of the doom and gloom crowd underestimate what a defensive unit like this can do for the goal tending tandem.
Just because some of us don't share your optimism about our 1/2 pair against the elite top lines in the league in the defensive zone, it doesn't make us "Doom and gloom" crowd.

I think in Columbus, the fans have no concept of "proven". All we understand is "potential" and what looks good on paper.

Quote:
Like I said in the Bob thread, I think this is a hell of an oppurtunity for Bobrovsky to get back into a #1 role, or to a less extent, for Mason to get himself back on track ().
And the rift forms. Yes, it's an opportunity for Bob. I'm looking for a proven solid starting goal tender. I'm not looking for an opportunity for Bob to regain his starting role next year. I'm looking to develop by splitting his time with a proven aging veteran in which he can take the starting job any times he proves he's ready.

In summary, honestly you have way to many "ifs" floating around for my taste. For example, with a guy like Nikitin, we've had player make a splash before and play well about their career averages. Nikitin has never demonstrated this kind of scoring touch. His performance was double anything else in his past at any level. To count on that to continue is unfair to Nikitin. Not say it isn't possible, just saying there doesn't appear to be anything in his past to suggest he can continue to perform at even half that level.

I've predicted team ups and downs based on roster performance in the past. Generally speaking you can tell if players are preforming too far above their historical level to maintain or if they are going to break out of a slump. We don't know what JJ is going to do with a full season of 27 minutes a night, as he's never done it. We do know that a 41 minute PROD is above average, but within a margin of error. It would not be unreasonable to assume he can continue to produce at that level. But he has a lot of polish he needs to add to his game to be a true #1. But you added a huge "if" with Wiz. Hoping that JJ ups his game? That isn't a pairing that screams put me out their defending a one goal lead in the third.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

And the rift forms. Yes, it's an opportunity for Bob. I'm looking for a proven solid starting goal tender. I'm not looking for an opportunity for Bob to regain his starting role next year. I'm looking to develop by splitting his time with a proven aging veteran in which he can take the starting job any times he proves he's ready.
Actually no rift at all, I too would much prefer a proven #1 in goal. I'd also like a 25% return on my 401k year in year out, but I know its not going to happen. I'm just calling the situation what it is, a great oppurtunity for 2 guys that desperately want to prove they are #1's to do so.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:19 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Actually no rift at all, I too would much prefer a proven #1 in goal. I'd also like a 25% return on my 401k year in year out, but I know its not going to happen. I'm just calling the situation what it is, a great oppurtunity for 2 guys that desperately want to prove they are #1's to do so.
It's only not going to happen because your GM didn't take the opportunities that have been presented themselves. I may be a CBJ fan, but that guy isn't my GM.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

If Nash isnt be traded so the roster could be:

Foligno--Brassard--Nash
Umberger--Johansen--Atkinson (the line needs somebody in the front of the net)
Prospal--Letestu--Kubalik
Calvert--MacKenzie--Boll

Johnson, Wisniewski
Tyutin, Nikitin
Moore/Murray, Aucoin

Bobrovskiy

Savard is too slow and Goloubef needs one full season without injury in AHL. IMO Boller is better than Dorsett but I know he will play in the third line

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Xoggz22

I was just doing the "stat" thing and just noticed Murray actually had a nice PPG increase over the last three years. he's also a PPG playoff player from the back end. I know he's gotten knocked for not having eyepopping offensive skills but after watching development camp and looking at the simple stat breakdown, he was on pace for 56 pts in 69 games last year. I recall the WHL actually being a more defensive league (Has that changed?) so I was pretty pleased with that aspect of things. Dev Camp showed me he's got some skills too. I'm willing to bet he's another 40-50 pt defenseman on the CBJ in a few years (including JJ, Wiz and possible Nikitin)

Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I havenít read all the posts in this thread but to answer the OP.... no.

That said if there is one thing CBJ related I'm excited about it's the defense, it will be short on stay at home defenseman but it's going to be exciting. I'm not sure Murray will make the team but he was my pick and resent media reports indicate he might be ready...

Nash or no Nash if Murray makes the team the season will be worth watching based on our new defense and Bobrovsky alone..

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
IMO Boller is better than Dorsett but I know he will play in the third line

Three years ago I might have agreed with you, last season though Dorse stepped up his game and Boll regressed. Honestly I don't know why we re-signed him and wish we hadn't.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:41 PM
OldGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I havenít read all the posts in this thread but to answer the OP.... no.

That said if there is one thing CBJ related I'm excited about it's the defense, it will be short on stay at home defenseman but it's going to be exciting. I'm not sure Murray will make the team but he was my pick and resent media reports indicate he might be ready...

Nash or no Nash if Murray makes the team the season will be worth watching based on our new defense and Bobrovsky alone..
I couldn't agree more.

OldGoaltender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I haven’t read all the posts in this thread but to answer the OP.... no.

Also agree the moves made on the back end should make for an interesting season. Was/Is this Hawson's best off season? He has done little to be upset about so far. IMO

I think people also tend to forget James Wisniewski injury last season. Hopefully he gets a full 82. I can't think of any team in the NHL that is worse off loosing a top defender. Other teams have more depth to fall back on. Man what a disaster that season was.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Also agree the moves made on the back end should make for an interesting season. Was/Is this Hawson's best off season? He has done little to be upset about so far. IMO
Howson has done well so far, I was actually shocked when learning he was locked in on Murray and the message boards crying for Forsberg were wrong..

I have to wonder to what degree Patrick is influencing things though, regardless, Howson is having a good off season.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:52 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Letestu View Post

Three years ago I might have agreed with you, last season though Dorse stepped up his game and Boll regressed. Honestly I don't know why we re-signed him and wish we hadn't.
I say about potential plus dont forget that Boller was injured in the start of the season. I would give him more ice time to show his qualities the first in the preseason.

To the defense. It will be interesting to see whether both Murray and Moore will take the roster IMO Moore showed he is NHL player, if yes... it will be interesting whether somebody from the couple Tyutin, Wisniewski will be traded.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:36 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

With Nash

Nash-Brassard-Umberger
Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Prospal-Letestu-Dorsett
Russell-MacKenzie-Boll

I don't like Calvert playing a checking line roll on the 4th line. Let him develop more in the A.

Without Nash (Via Trade with NYR for Dubinsky, Hagelin, Miller, 1st) (God I hope not this deal. Stepan/Kreider or bust IMO.)

Umberger-Brassard-Atkinson
Dubinsky-Johansen-Hagelin
Prospal-Foligno-Dorsett
Boll-MacKenzie-Letestu

Without Nash via refusal to report

Foligno-Johansen-Prospal
Calvert-Letestu-Dorsett
Russell-MacKenzie-Boll

D as everyone knows
JJ-Wis
Tyutin-Nikitin
Murray/Moore-Aucoin/Savard/Goloubef
Aucoin/Holden as extra

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
ZachACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
With Nash

Nash-Brassard-Umberger
Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Prospal-Letestu-Dorsett
Russell-MacKenzie-Boll

I don't like Calvert playing a checking line roll on the 4th line. Let him develop more in the A.

Without Nash (Via Trade with NYR for Dubinsky, Hagelin, Miller, 1st) (God I hope not this deal. Stepan/Kreider or bust IMO.)

Dubinsky-Johansen-Hagelin
Prospal-Foligno-Dorsett
Boll-MacKenzie-Letestu

Without Nash via refusal to report

Foligno-Johansen-Prospal
Calvert-Letestu-Dorsett
Russell-MacKenzie-Boll

D as everyone knows
JJ-Wis
Tyutin-Nikitin
Murray/Moore-Aucoin/Savard/Goloubef
Aucoin/Holden as extra
That could be the most exciting line to watch all year, and if we were able to sign someone that could move Foligno down to the third line C...damn, I'd go to games just for that line.

ZachACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:49 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
That could be the most exciting line to watch all year, and if we were able to sign someone that could move Foligno down to the third line C...damn, I'd go to games just for that line.
Except RyJo has to win the 2nd line spot in camp for that line to happen. Hopefully he does.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Except RyJo has to win the 2nd line spot in camp for that line to happen. Hopefully he does.
JOEY looked big at prospect camp, but still floated a bit too much for my taste. It was prospect camp, so I guess his being there speaks in his favor since he didn't have to go.

I hope his work ethic ramps up this year, then maybe Joey can compete for that 2nd line spot.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote