HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah it's been crazy. I had 26 points in 20 games in winter and then went six games without a goal. Nice goal too. I switched back to the Drury, a defenseman took a slapper from the point, deflected off a guy in front right on to my blade, I couldn't believe it. Waited a split second for the goalie to go down and just shelfed it like I was going to shoot through the twine.

Side note, holy crap it would be crazy if you guys got Semin. I think he's really underrated. Semin and Malkin/Crosby? We'll see you in the Finals
Funny, I just switched from the Kremlin curve back to the Backstrom hoping that little bit of voodoo changes things.

I know its wishful thinking but Doan is on my list too as an early Christmas gift.
His physical style would be awesome with Pitts. grind these b's down game.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wish the Bauer Ovi curve was available on intermediates at retail. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a 4 lie Drury from Base. Always wanted to try a very low lie since I'm short.

Old
07-10-2012, 11:40 AM
flyers10

Took the radar gun to sticktime. Hoping new twig would boost my shot. It didn't. Stuck in mid-upper 60's.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Today, going to end up with about 6 hours of ice time:

12:30-2:30 - pickup
8:30-9:55 - beginner class
10:00-12:30 - skills class including scrimmage

Skating out at the pickup and playing goalie for the night classes.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post

That sounds fun! I wish I could go to the earlier day pick ups

Old
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Last night I beat a defender wide, he got his stick in my skates and as I was fighting to keep my balance I got cross-checked from behind by another player. I went down hard and the second defender tripped over me and crashed down on top of me. The second guy got called for a cross-check and argued with the ref all the way to the box, saying I lost my balance on my own and was going down anyway.

About 30 seconds into the powerplay I buried a one-timer to tie the game up. Our rink has the penalty boxes in between the benches so I had to skate by him to get to my bench. He was still running his mouth to the ref so I told him "Don't worry about the penalty, I would have scored anyway."

Gotta love beer league.

Last edited by 1Knee1T: 07-10-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 03:49 PM
neksys

Quote:

Holy crap. Stay hydrated.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
Oh, I never noticed the (hockey related) anywhere. If I offended you i'm sorry Dad.
It's just hilarious that you had to "try" and post something funny in order to look cool... rock on.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:30 PM
TrueBlue86

got my bauer 9900 helmet in xl wohhoooo

only bucket that properly fits my big a$$ head

Old
07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Fanned On It

Today I watched Max Pacioretty, Colton Orr and some AHL guy screw around during stick-time at my rink while I was working... jeezus, their snap-shots are laser-like. It's incredible. The speed at which they get rid of the puck and the sheer velocity of the puck mid-shot is just unreal. Gave me the hockey-itch hardcore and I wish I could've hopped on the ice with them, but I'm still stuck working in the shop... Sigh..

Old
07-10-2012, 08:04 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Today I watched Max Pacioretty, Colton Orr and some AHL guy screw around during stick-time at my rink while I was working... jeezus, their snap-shots are laser-like. It's incredible. The speed at which they get rid of the puck and the sheer velocity of the puck mid-shot is just unreal. Gave me the hockey-itch hardcore and I wish I could've hopped on the ice with them, but I'm still stuck working in the shop... Sigh..
that's cool man

drop the gloves with orr next time. as a leaf fan i know his chin is not the same

Old
07-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

Three skates in one day was awesome!

Except the part where in one of them I took three shots to the inner thigh past the edge of my padding and now I have a HUGE bruise there. Funny thing was, the same guy caused the first two. One was just during warmups, I was sliding across to face him and he shot a little early. Hadn't squared my leg up to him in time so it caught me in the thigh. Second time was the same guy jamming at a rebound, and it eventually slipped past the top of my pad and through my five hole - not without hitting the same bruise first.

Third time was me sprawling in response a breakaway move. Stopped the shot but it hurt like hell. Left the ice after that, since it was about 12:15 a.m. by then anyway and most people had left so we were going to be done soon.

Felt good to get out of my skates and have a few cold beers.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:48 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Three skates in one day was awesome!

Except the part where in one of them I took three shots to the inner thigh past the edge of my padding and now I have a HUGE bruise there. Funny thing was, the same guy caused the first two. One was just during warmups, I was sliding across to face him and he shot a little early. Hadn't squared my leg up to him in time so it caught me in the thigh. Second time was the same guy jamming at a rebound, and it eventually slipped past the top of my pad and through my five hole - not without hitting the same bruise first.

Third time was me sprawling in response a breakaway move. Stopped the shot but it hurt like hell. Left the ice after that, since it was about 12:15 a.m. by then anyway and most people had left so we were going to be done soon.

Felt good to get out of my skates and have a few cold beers.

Ha, same thing happened to a goalie friend in training recently. The third shot that somehow hit exactly the same spot on his inner thigh was so painful he broke his stick in half.

Today I...spoke with a more experienced girl on my team who told me off for not wearing women's shoulder pads!

Old
07-12-2012, 06:58 PM
RockemSockemProberts
23 and counting...

Waxed my stick for the first, and probably last, time. I wanted the tape to hold up a bit more on the ice, but discovered that wax and a puck are not a good combination for flipping a stationary puck onto the blade. I'll see the on-ice effects tomorrow.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
hlaverty06

Today I hit head really hard and was rushed to hospital, now I have a concussion

Old
07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Today I hit head really hard and was rushed to hospital, now I have a concussion
Damn, that sucks! Take care and I hope you get well soon..

Old
07-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

Had my rare, really pretty goal. I've actually been scoring some nice goals lately, I need to start shooting more often!

I was skating into the offensive zone around center ice and moving to the right (I'm a lefty.) I had a winger crashing the net from the outside on the left so I turned my stick to look like I was going to chip it in between the defenders to him. The defender to my right moved in to try to cover that pass and I just quickly turned my wrists and brought it around him to the outside. I make a quick little turn and moved towards the net. Maybe 5 feet out I just roofed it into the inside corner. Feels good when 90% of your goals are sitting in front and going for rebounds or having somebody feed you the pass for an easy tap in.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Ouch. Hope you get better.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:33 AM
hlaverty06

Thanks, 2-0 breakaway for other team, I dove to take away passing lane (after getting back) tangled up with one of their guys, then couldn't stop and crashed into boards

Old
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
CanesUltimate11

Yesterday I played my first roller hockey game in 7 months after recovering from an ACL tear. Felt like I was stick-handling a live grenade the first period, but got back in the feel of things pretty well the second and third.

Plus the team won, so that a bonus.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97980208 View Post
Waxed my stick for the first, and probably last, time. I wanted the tape to hold up a bit more on the ice, but discovered that wax and a puck are not a good combination for flipping a stationary puck onto the blade. I'll see the on-ice effects tomorrow.
What kind of wax did you use?

Paraffin (candle) = slippery (works best if melted in IMO)
Sex wax = sticky
Snap wax = sticky AND gritty

Old
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
esidebill

Played a rec game with a pectoral strain (didn't feel it at all) and ended up finishing with some type of thigh/groin pull. I'm falling apart!

Old
07-13-2012, 01:43 PM
newfr4u

took an awkward fall and got a hip flexor strain. argh.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
rayau

Played drop-in. First game since the end of the season. I felt OK, but really need to work on power skating and agility. Some of the guys that were on the ice could really move.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Today I ordered a blade from Base hockey. 4.75 lie Drury with shark skin. We'll see how it goes.

Closed Thread