HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dead Wings Era 2.0

Old
07-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Having a non competitive team will only land you one kind of Free agents, the ones with no heart who only go for the money.

Guys like Semin.

Also, losing Lidstrom not only made the team worse in-game, but also made guys like Suter (and next season Weber) not want to sign. A top free agent signing with an ageing and prospectsless team like Detroit now is a really bad choice considering the fact that our (yes, I love Detroit even though I', pessimistic/realistic) future is looking pretty bad.

We had one chance to save us from a disastrous decade, and that was to sign Suter & Parise like Minnesota did. They chose Minnesota due to them having a brighter 10 years ahead of them at this point. Better team and far better prospects.

Like someone else said - this league rewards bad management and the worst teams. My biggest fear is that we become a 16-22 team that misses the playoffs or are constant first round car wrecks - and not getting any good picks in the lottery.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:16 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Having a non competitive team will only land you one kind of Free agents, the ones with no heart who only go for the money.

Guys like Semin.

Also, losing Lidstrom not only made the team worse in-game, but also made guys like Suter (and next season Weber) not want to sign. A top free agent signing with an ageing and prospectsless team like Detroit now is a really bad choice considering the fact that our (yes, I love Detroit even though I', pessimistic/realistic) future is looking pretty bad.

We had one chance to save us from a disastrous decade, and that was to sign Suter & Parise like Minnesota did. They chose Minnesota due to them having a brighter 10 years ahead of them at this point. Better team and far better prospects.

Like someone else said - this league rewards bad management and the worst teams. My biggest fear is that we become a 16-22 team that misses the playoffs or are constant first round car wrecks - and not getting any good picks in the lottery.
I think you should probably do a little more research into the team you love before making that statement. We have a very nice prospect pool. Even with a pessimistic/realistic viewpoint if a third of these guys hit or even a smaller number than that but the right couple all is not lost.

Minnesota is not a better team I wouldn't trade our roster for theirs with both Parise and Suter on it. Their prospects are actually quite similar really, lot of top six upside and a couple of real promising d-prospects where they could use more.

People have Granlund penciled in as their second line center, he hasn't played a game outside of the WJC on North American ice and stands at 5'10" 180lbs. For those that insist on leaving Jarnkrok overseas on size you cannot support Granlund coming over and being a raging success. Jarnkrok should be given a chance to make the Wings, Granlund is the Wild's number 2 center, yikes. A couple of their guys are more high profile but it remains to be seen what they are exactly. They maybe have a better future but that is only if you fully buy into the Minnesota PR campaign. What happens if do to local pressure the team strips Koivu of his captaincy to promote Parise? What happens if because of these big contracts they send Backstrom packing upsetting the Finnish contingent. A big reason Granlund was willing to come is those guys. Seem to remember the first hickup in New Jersey with Parise is when they stripped Langenbrunner of his captaincy.

Those are all hypothetical, but so are the fact anybodies prospects are all going to hit. Minnesota landed two guys that wanted to go there for family reasons on top of money. I wanted Suter, didn't really much for Parise to begin with, always stated Semin was a better fit for this team.

Oh yeah and final point on Minnesota, when have any of their players actually stayed healthy, it is a yearly theme for a decade.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 07-08-2012 at 12:23 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I think you should probably do a little more research into the team you love before making that statement. We have a very nice prospect pool. Even with a pessimistic/realistic viewpoint if a third of these guys hit or even a smaller number than that but the right couple all is not lost.

Minnesota is not a better team I wouldn't trade our roster for theirs with both Parise and Suter on it. Their prospects are actually quite similar really, lot of top six upside and a couple of real promising d-prospects where they could use more.

People have Granlund penciled in as their second line center, he hasn't played a game outside of the WJC on North American ice and stands at 5'10" 180lbs. For those that insist on leaving Jarnkrok overseas on size you cannot support Granlund coming over and being a raging success. Jarnkrok should be given a chance to make the Wings, Granlund is the Wild's number 2 center, yikes. A couple of their guys are more high profile but it remains to be seen what they are exactly. They maybe have a better future but that is only if you fully buy into the Minnesota PR campaign. What happens if do to local pressure the team strips Koivu of his captaincy to promote Parise? What happens if because of these big contracts they send Backstrom packing upsetting the Finnish contingent. A big reason Granlund was willing to come is those guys. Seem to remember the first hickup in New Jersey with Parise is when they stripped Langenbrunner of his captaincy.

Those are all hypothetical, but so are the fact anybodies prospects are all going to hit. Minnesota landed two guys that wanted to go there for family reasons on top of money. I wanted Suter, didn't really much for Parise to begin with, always stated Semin was a better fit for this team.

Oh yeah and final point on Minnesota, when have any of their players actually stayed healthy, it is a yearly theme for a decade.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Franzen are all regressing and Kronwall didn't become the #1 we all hoped. That's our core - and just imagine what it'll look like in 2-3 years with a sup-par prospect pool.

We have Jarnkrok, Smith, tatar, Mursak, Nyquist, Pulkkinen & Tvrdon...

Which of these are first liners/top-2 defencemen?

We have second/third liners in Jarnkrok & Nyqvist, and Smith who is perhaps a top-4 defenceman.

I believe that the next 3-4 years will be really bad, and the following 6-7 years even worse unless we really tank now or manage to get great free agents/make tremendous trades out of this world.

perhaps the monster becomes the monster, Smith becomes a #1 and Nyqvist pots 35 goals....but I doubt it.

Old
07-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Henkka

Quote:
I believe that the next 3-4 years will be really bad, and the following 6-7 years even worse unless we really tank now or manage to get great free agents/make tremendous trades out of this world.
Looks like we are having kind of a different view for our prospects, because I'm planning a Stanley Cup parade at ~2019 with our current prospect pool.

That's when they will peak and the core will be around these guys.

Top6 forwards:

C Calle Järnkrok (5'11, SWE, 20, R)
W Gustav Nyquist (5'11, SWE, 22, L)
W Tomas Tatar (5'10, SVK, 21, L)
W Tomas Jurco (6'2, SVK, 19, L)
C Riley Sheahan (6'2, CAN, 20, L)
W Marek Tvrdon (6'2, SVK, 19, L)
W Martin Frk (6'0, CZE, 18, R)
W Teemu Pulkkinen (5'11, FIN, 20, R)
--------------------------------- (under the line are guys with ~0% propability for NHL career)
W Willie Coetzee (5'10, CAN, 21, R)
W Andrej Nestrasil (6'2, CZE, 20, L)
C Francis Pare (5'10, CAN, 24, R)

Low6 forwards:

C Louis-Marc Aubry (6'4, CAN, 20, L)
C Joakim Andersson (6'2, SWE, 22, L)
F Landon Ferraro (6'0, CAN, 20, R)
W Alan Quine (6'0, CAN, 19, L)
W Mitchell Callahan (5'11, USA, 20, R)
F Brent Raedeke (6'0, CAN, 21, L)
W Trevor Parkes (6'2, CAN, 20, R)
W Andreas Athanasiou (6'0, CAN, 17, L)
W Rasmus Bodin (6'6, SWE, 18, L)
W Philippe Hudon (6'0, CAN, 19, R)

Offensive defencemen:

Brendan Smith (6'2, CAN, 23, L)
Ryan Sproul (6'3, CAN, 19, R)
Xavier Ouellet (6'0, CAN, 18, L)
Nick Jensen (6'1, USA, 21, R)
Alexei Marchenko (6'2, RUS, 20, R)
--------------------------------
Adam Almqvist (5'10, SWE, 21, L)
Gleason Fournier (6'0, CA, 20, L)

Defensive defencemen:

Brian Lashoff (6'3, USA, 21, L)
Mattias Bäckman (6'2, SWE, 19, L)
Max Nicastro (6'3, USA, 22, R)
Richard Nedomlel (6'4, CZE, 19, L)
Mike McKee (6'4, CAN, 18, L)
James De Haas (6'4, CAN, 18, L)

Goalies:

G Petr Mrazek (6'1, CZE L, 20)
------------------------------
G Thomas McCollum (6'2, USA, L, 22)
G Jake Paterson (6'2, CAN, L, 18)

I see a brighter future for the 6-9 years in the future, than we could possibly have at the next 5 years.

Only "bad" thing is that the Edmonton Oilers prospect core is peaking at same time, so it will very probably be us against them on those days. But it's fun to see if we are on top and they are there at the same time. All those late round picks vs. 1. overall tankers.

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I'm planning a Stanley Cup parade at ~2019 with our current prospect pool.
I love your positive attitude and I hope to dear God that I'm wrong and that you will make me look like a complete idiot come 2019

Old
07-09-2012, 09:12 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
I love your positive attitude and I hope to dear God that I'm wrong and that you will make me look like a complete idiot come 2019
Henkka is the glue that prevents us all from falling apart.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
probertrules24

Quote:
What do you think. Have I been/am I overly pessimistic, or do we have a new Dead Wing Era on our hands?

I mean, what will our line-up look like the upcoming season?
Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way as no offence but I'm more hoping they make you look like an "idiot" in 2012. Again I'm not calling you an idiot just using your words.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way as no offence but I'm more hoping they make you look like an "idiot" in 2012. Again I'm not calling you an idiot just using your words.

No offence taken, I too would love to look like complete idiot come the conference finals in 2013

Old
07-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Franzen are all regressing and Kronwall didn't become the #1 we all hoped. That's our core - and just imagine what it'll look like in 2-3 years with a sup-par prospect pool.
I wouldn't say Z, Dats, and Mule are regressing. Z is still playing at a high level. Just because he doesn't score 40 goals anymore doesn't mean he has gotten worse. Dats has been injured for stretches during the past two seasons. If he were healthy, he'd still be winning Selke trophies, handily. Franzen has been consistent. It's just that we have higher expectations of him, for whatever reason.

I don't know how you can say Kronwall hasn't become the #1 we hoped for when he hasn't even had the chance to be a #1 yet. He'll just now be getting his chance this year with Lidstrom retiring. You can't make claims based on things that haven't happened yet.

And like Henkka said, our prospect pool is far from sub-par.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Henkka

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1347

Here's one kind view of the prospect rankings.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:

I think I have only seen one or two rankings in the past couple years that have the Wings in the bottom half of the league, as far as prospects. Nearly all have them in the top half, and most have them in the top-10. Many posters claim we have a crappy farm system (and also call themselves "realists," lol), but I think the Wings have a pretty respectable prospect pool, especially considering the position they typically draft from.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:50 AM
Nordic*

Quote:

Detroit third based on what, Jarnkrok and Smith??

Old
07-11-2012, 04:36 AM
Tomas W

DRW has had very little of bluechip prospects the last 20 years. Have a little faith in DRW ability to develop players. If we would end up a little short of star players it will be an opportunity to develop prospects into future stars. It have worked before.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Detroit third based on what, Jarnkrok and Smith??
This is how Corey Pronman infoed his rankings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Pronman

Seeing as Detroit's ranking is a if not the main point of contention as far as I can see, I may as well address it although I will have a more detailed DET write-up later in the summer.

As I said and as this quote outlines, DET doesn't have their Huberdeau, Galchenyuk or Strome. That bright light at the top of the system that is a roughly top 10 prospect in hockey. However the top of their system is still very strong, with several top 50 candidates.

I'm sure most people here likes Brendan Smith and can somewhat agree on his high prospect status. I could buy Smith as DET's top prospect, but I've asked 3 scouts to rank Smith, Jarnkrok and Nyquist and got 3 different answers and not because they didn't like any of them and I'd agree those three are tough to rank due to their high talent levels. I wasn't a big Jurco fan last year but heard glowing reports from anyone who saw him in the Q this year. Tatar is not along the talent lines of those four, but AHL scouts I've talked to also praise him quite a bit and he's a notably above-average prospect. Sheahan hasn't put up great numbers in the NCAA but he has a good two way game and in the 10 or so games I saw of him this year he showed significant offensive ability in flashes. Marchenko got hurt which was a shame but I think he would've shone at the WJC's and heard from an exec who would have taken him in the early to mid 2nd last year without the Russian factor. Ouellet has his issues, but his puck moving skills are tremendous and he logged heavy minutes. Sproul has a ton of talent, but is a work in progress. Tvrdon was a guy scouts thought would be a significant sleeper last year who slipped because of his injury and from seeing him and talking to scouts this year he's really been impressive. Almqvist I hoped would put up more points and he has his issues, but the raw puck moving skills and defensive awareness are very impressive. Pulkkinen I'm up and down on, but his talent level with the puck and his shot drive value. I don't even know Brunner that well and wasn't really factored in the ranking but I've heard solid things about him. I'm not even going to mention their 2012 class even though I thought it was just decent because I'm sure everyone is exhausted on draft info by now.

I don't mind a debate about this and I'm kind of used to all the creative things people can call me, but from what I see from going through the same motions I do for every system, there's a ton of talent there. Several well above-average prospects, several above-average ones, and a few that are quite talented but need work. I don't usually talk to scouts about ranking systems, but earlier in the year I heard from one that said he'd rank DET roughly around 5 and I've heard general optimism towards DET's pipeline whenever I've discussed it with industry sources. I really don't get why it's such a big deal and I see a very legitimate argument for them to be very high.

Old
07-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Stephen

It's probably useless for Wings fans to be crying about the sky falling and a new Dead Wings era, but I would hope for your sake that Ken Holland is working in fear of a Dead Wings era and is doing everything in his power/imagination to come up with some sort of succession plan for when Datsyuk and Zetterberg start to slide. The Wings will probably be a good team for another couple of years, but might start sliding to complete mediocrity after that unless some of the kids start emerging.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
aLus

vCash: 447
Having a team full of 2nd and 3rd liners wouldn't be so bad. Teams like Nashville and Buffalo was pretty competitive with that, and in the end some of them emerged to 1st liners.

aLus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLus View Post
Having a team full of 2nd and 3rd liners wouldn't be so bad. Teams like Nashville and Buffalo was pretty competitive with that, and in the end some of them emerged to 1st liners.
Yeah, and you need two guys to peak on Datsyuk and Zetterberg level and we are a heck of a contender again also in the future. You just have to have deep pool. Then chances for those peaking guys, whoever they are, are better.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Yeah, and you need two guys to peak on Datsyuk and Zetterberg level and we are a heck of a contender again also in the future. You just have to have deep pool. Then chances for those peaking guys, whoever they are, are better.
Hahaha.

Except, Datsyuk and Zetterbeg emerged out of one of the most shallow prospect pools in the league.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:02 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Hahaha.

Except, Datsyuk and Zetterbeg emerged out of one of the most shallow prospect pools in the league.
I don't think that was he's point.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Getting two players like those + Lidstrom and Franzen that deep in the draft is one in a million. We don't have anyone anywhere close to on pace for that level of play.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:20 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post

Have to comment here.

All of our top forward prospects are also center/wingers, Granlund, Coyle, Phillips and Larsson.
Im one of those that believe they will all become top6 forwards..

And Koivu will be the captain as long as he wants to be, this will not become an issue.

Bäckström is leaving after this season but cant see how that would upset anyone..

I wouldnt be too worried about your own team, you have a great organisation and that is the most important thing.

As an old North Stars fan im hoping our teams can get a good new rivalry going after the realigment.

WildFinn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
Have to comment here.

All of our top forward prospects are also center/wingers, Granlund, Coyle, Phillips and Larsson.
Im one of those that believe they will all become top6 forwards..

And Koivu will be the captain as long as he wants to be, this will not become an issue.

Bäckström is leaving after this season but cant see how that would upset anyone..

I wouldnt be too worried about your own team, you have a great organisation and that is the most important thing.

As an old North Stars fan im hoping our teams can get a good new rivalry going after the realigment.
Give us 10 years

Old
09-01-2012, 04:33 PM
jroc86

Our prosepct pool is a helluva lot better than many perrenially contending teams such as San Jose and Vancouver. Theres some uncertain times ahead - be its far from a gurnatee that we have a decade of cellar dwelling. So long as the Illitch family keeps the money coming into the team to maintain or scouting/management group among the leagues best we will find ways to remain competitive and eventually rebuild a contender.

Whos to say Kronwall doesnt grab this #1 d-spot by the balls and return to the 50pt mark and play sound defensivley? We dont know that Pavel is heading home for sure in 2 years or that Pav and Z are set to expire like old milk before their turn 35. Players that avoid major surgeries and head injuries these days keep their quality of game at or near their "prime" for much longer than the old days. Our stars are unspectacular in that they dont have Bure type speed or Lindros type explosiveness/physicality and guess what? Thats good - because whats made Pav, Z, Franzen, Filp, Kronwall effective players for us is hockey IQ, work ethic, puck skills, and decent to above average mobility.

If Brendan Smith becomes the stud we hope he is (and many other fanbases assume hell be) and Nyquist and Brunner stick and are effective playerss by the time some of our current prospects start trickling into the lineup we could be sitting pretty good.

I would still like to see some FA help on defence to add a big bodied shutdown guy (Regehr or D. Murray) and maybe Edler if hes available. Everyone still pouting like a girl without a prom date over Parise and Suter but fact is many players still covet Detroit as a place to play hockey and we will add effective reinforcements via free agency again.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 05:25 PM
TatarTangle

The prospect pool is loaded with talent but most of that talent is European. Give it another 2-3 years when most are playing in Grand Rapids and then you'll be able to really see how good they'll be. I don't think most are going to translate very well to the North American game. But as long as Jurco, Järnkrok and one of Sproul or Ouelette pan out they'll be fine with a couple key signings from Holland. We already know what we have in Nyquist, Tatar and Smith.

Bottom line; Down the road the team will be deep and competitive but Holland is going to have to wine and dine some key free agents to put the Red Wings back in Stanley Cup contention.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Jimbo7200

Quote:

We have Jarnkrok, Smith, tatar, Mursak, Nyquist, Pulkkinen & Tvrdon...

Which of these are first liners/top-2 defencemen?

We have second/third liners in Jarnkrok & Nyqvist, and Smith who is perhaps a top-4 defenceman.

perhaps the monster becomes the monster, Smith becomes a #1 and Nyqvist pots 35 goals....but I doubt it.
You are really down on alot of our prospects.

Jarnkrok is a sure-fire first liner in my mind. I've seen the guy play, and I have no doubt in my mind he could be a solid 40pt player in the NHL this coming season.

Smith has all the talent in the world. Who's defensive prospects do you like better? The only young defenseman I would trade Smith for is OEL. The kid has a combination of hockey sense, size, speed, and tenacity that make his talent floor a 2nd pair defenseman.

You also happen to mention guys like Mursak, Pulkkinen, and Tvrdon rather than talking about guys like Sheahan, Frk, and Jurco--all three of whom have top 6 NHL talent and size to boot. You also completely dismiss Tomas Tatar, a guy that should pan out to be a Hudler type in the NHL.

So in short, cheer up bud. It'll be ok.

Jimbo7200 is online now   Reply With Quote