HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff " Its a little bit of a gamble but we all liked what we saw"

Old
07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What is the consensus around here?
That he's not ready to be a top line center.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:28 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I'm excited for ennis and hodgson. I still want another move, though. This roster is very raw. There's some good talent, but the stars will have to align for a good playoff run.
Not if the defense and goalie play up to expectations and one of the young centers emerge as a top 6 center.

The Sabres would likely need to add something at the deadline, but I will take a top 5 goalie/D combo over a top 5 scoring line in the playoffs.

But the question is will they meet expectations?

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
That he's not ready to be a top line center.
Nobody knows if he is ready or not. Even Ruff said its a gamble.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:34 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the gamble of handing roy;s role to ennis is stupid. that's the .... it should so clearly go to Hodgson/Pommer line if someone else doesn't get brought in.

seriously... Ennis + Defensive Zone draws/shifts is ****ing idiotic.

Ennis is the worst defensive zone player on the entire team (ok, john scott is probably worse... probably )

Not to mention the kid was just starting to scratch the surface of success at center.... so i think it's double to try and change that role so soon.

lindy is an idiot... everything about his decisions regarding lineups over the years makes this annoying, but by no means surprising
Just to clear this up: he said nothing about giving Ennis Roy's role. Just his minutes. I'm imagining massive offensive zone time for that line.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:38 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
What is the consensus around here?
That he couldn't possibly succeed facing tougher defensive match-ups.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
That he couldn't possibly succeed facing tougher defensive match-ups.
Few said he can't handle tough defensive matchups. They said he hasn't . I hope you see the difference.

The arguement is that he hasn't faced them yet so its risky to assume he would be able to with no issues next year. But most see a ton of talent and a high upside with him.

Pretty similar to Ruff's feelings.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
This team is going to have some really rough stretches next year. Expect some major growing pains with the kids being given so much responsibility. Unless the roster has a major addition, lots of facepalming will happen this season.

Ruff knows this. But he can't care too much. He's safe and he knows it.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Girgenburger

I'm sorry but no, handing Ennis the top C role is not stupid at all. Who else is gonna grab it? He's ready to have an increased role. He's got the skill and the will to do it. Everyone on this board is a bunch of doubters. Seriously...49 points as a rookie. And last year he showed that he can fight through inconsistency and overcome obstacles. The kid deserves a shot at it and Lindy's doing the right thing. Instilling this confidence in Ennis will only see him put up more points. He'll have a hell of a better season than Hodgson...that much I can guarantee.

As a matter of fact, I really don't even think we need a number one center anymore. It'd be nice if we had one more big winger, but I for one am okay with handing the center duties off to the kids.

Girgenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
This team is going to have some really rough stretches next year. Expect some major growing pains with the kids being given so much responsibility. Unless the roster has a major addition, lots of facepalming will happen this season.

Ruff knows this. But he can't care too much. He's safe and he knows it.
I expect Regier to make one or two moves to the forward core still. They know they're thin at center as far as experience goes (perhaps not skill wise) and as far as size. I'd be shocked if they rode with Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs (Ott taking draws), and McCormick...

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I'm sorry but no, handing Ennis the top C role is not stupid at all. He's ready to have an increased role. He's got the skill and the will to do it. Everyone on this board is a bunch of doubters. Seriously..49 points as a rookie. And last year he showed that he can fight through inconsistency and overcome obstacles. The kid deserves a shot at it and Lindy's doing the right thing. Instilling this confidence in Ennis will only see him put up more points.
Yeah, 49 points as a rookie...and 14 games a center. No doubt he's good, but the team can't expect to saddle themselves to him as the main horse and succeed. (And I am defining "succeed" here as merely making the playoffs.)

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

I could see
This isn't really what I want and I wanted us to acquire some talent...but this could be what we roll with...
Vanek-Coho-Pom
Foligno-Ennis-Staffy
Leino-Ott-Gerbs
Tropp-Porter-Kaleta

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:10 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:

I think we have a rough idea. The last 14gms is pretty much what I expect with the 3 line setup with each line getting roughly equal mintues and 4th line getting minimal minutes.

I expect lines of (in no particular order)

Foligno/Ennis/Stafford
xxxx/Hodgson/Vanek
Leino/xxxx/Pommer

I would expect Ott, Tropp, a potential trade acquisition and possibly even Girgensons as options for the xxxx spots. It would give an edge player to each line as Lindy mentioned he felt was a winning formula.
I meant more in terms of which of these guys are going to eat up those extra 3-4 minutes that Roy was getting, who will be used at the end of the game, etc. More of the little tactical decisions that need to be made. He said he expects Ennis to be the all-situations center. That may be the case but I still have my doubts that he would put Ennis out there at the end of the game up 1. I would expect Ott to be out there to take the draw with Pominville and someone else. I realize now that I worded that poorly and that was my mistake that I wasn't clearer by what I meant. I agree with what you said including the setup.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I meant more in terms of which of these guys are going to eat up those extra 3-4 minutes that Roy was getting, who will be used at the end of the game, etc. More of the little tactical decisions that need to be made. He said he expects Ennis to be the all-situations center. That may be the case but I still have my doubts that he would put Ennis out there at the end of the game up 1. I would expect Ott to be out there to take the draw with Pominville and someone else. I realize now that I worded that poorly and that was my mistake that I wasn't clearer by what I meant. I agree with what you said including the setup.
I'm pretty positive that Ennis wouldn't be the guy out there this season if you're up a goal in the last minute. As to who actually would, that remains a question dependent on what else is done before the season starts, but obviously Pominville would be one of the players there.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I expect Regier to make one or two moves to the forward core still. They know they're thin at center as far as experience goes (perhaps not skill wise) and as far as size. I'd be shocked if they rode with Ennis, Hodgson, Grigs (Ott taking draws), and McCormick...
Ennis isnt a rookie, was maybe our best forward in the 2 playoff series he has played in. I dont understand what the worry is here?

Defensively? Well thats where Myers needs to step up and become the guy most think he can be, at least be more consistent.

Ennis will not disappoint. I worry after Ennis, but its not like center was ever a strong point for us the last 5 years. If the D and goalie play well most of the year the team will go pretty far.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'm pretty positive that Ennis wouldn't be the guy out there this season if you're up a goal in the last minute. As to who actually would, that remains a question dependent on what else is done before the season starts, but obviously Pominville would be one of the players there.
I'd imagine Ott as well, mostly for his faceoff prowess. I could see Hodgson getting a crack at some of those minutes too.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Hopes to keep to Hodgson's ice time in the 16-17mins range
Quote:
You're also assuming that Vanek/Hodgson/Pommer will be a line.
If he is targeting that amount for Hodgson, it tells me he expects to team Hodgson with Vanek, who gets the same amount of minutes on average from Ruff and who clicked well as a pairing last season....

Quote:
"Where we fit in Ott in that whole thing is going to determine some of the other guys ice time".
Quote:
"It sounded very much like he wanted the same skill mix that Foligno/Ennis/Stafford has on every line. So that would make it unlikely they would be a line
....and, if that's the goal, it seems almost a lock that he sticks Ott on the left side of Hodgson, while sliding Vanek to the right side.

Quote:
Sounds like Ruff hasn't decided if Ott will be a center or wing yet.
He's probably suffering from withdrawal of not having any more wingers to play out of position now that Boyes and Hecht are gone and Leino made a big stink about being moved to center.

Quote:
I have to say I'm a bit surprised they are handing over the top line to two kids and Stafford. I'm excited and nervous about it.
I'm feeling more of the latter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Well, we all wanted change.....
With Ruff, it seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. His choices seem to become more erratic and illogical with every season - whether that's out of desperation or recklessness to try anything, I haven't determined yet...

Quote:
The plan is for Ennis to take over Roy's role as the top minutes, all situations center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the gamble of handing roy;s role to ennis is stupid. that's the .... it should so clearly go to Hodgson/Pommer line if someone else doesn't get brought in.

seriously... Ennis + Defensive Zone draws/shifts is ****ing idiotic.

Ennis is the worst defensive zone player on the entire team (ok, john scott is probably worse... probably )

Not to mention the kid was just starting to scratch the surface of success at center.... so i think it's double to try and change that role so soon.

lindy is an idiot... everything about his decisions regarding lineups over the years makes this annoying, but by no means surprising
I agree with everything you said, Jame - but Hodgson didn't exactly impress either with his defensive coverages.

My gut feeling is that, if no trades are made, we'll probably see Pominville and Leino matched against other team's top lines with a center TBD from free agency.

That would let Ennis-Stafford-Foligno and Hodgson-Vanek-Ott slip into 2nd and 3rd line matchups.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Yeah, 49 points as a rookie...and 14 games a center. No doubt he's good, but the team can't expect to saddle themselves to him as the main horse and succeed. (And I am defining "succeed" here as merely making the playoffs.)
I really hope that Regier and Ruff are not deluding themselves into thinking that, based on a 14-game hot streak last season as a center, Ennis is now ready to take over for Roy, just like they deluded themselves into thinking that Connolly and Roy would step in and fill the spots vacated by Briere and Drury in 2007.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If he is targeting that amount for Hodgson, it tells me he expects to team Hodgson with Vanek, who gets the same amount of minutes on average from Ruff and who clicked well as a pairing last season....

....and, if that's the goal, it seems almost a lock that he sticks Ott on the left side of Hodgson, while sliding Vanek to the right side.

He's probably suffering from withdrawal of not having any more wingers to play out of position now that Boyes and Hecht are gone and Leino made a big stink about being moved to center.

I'm feeling more of the latter....

With Ruff, it seems the more things change, the more they stay the same. His choices seem to become more erratic and illogical with every season - whether that's out of desperation or recklessness to try anything, I haven't determined yet...

I agree with everything you said, Jame - but Hodgson didn't exactly impress either with his defensive coverages.

My gut feeling is that, if no trades are made, we'll probably see Pominville and Leino matched against other team's top lines with a center TBD from free agency.

That would let Ennis-Stafford-Foligno and Hodgson-Vanek-Ott slip into 2nd and 3rd line matchups.

also, in regards to matchups, i think i'd take hodgson ahead of ennis as a "shutdown" center with the current roster, because he definitely thinks the game better, and is less likely to be caught out of position.
So end of game, up by 1, I think we could see something like Poms-Hodgson-Ott w/ Rej/Myers on the back end. Aside from CoHo, and based on what we've heard about Ott, I have a solid amount of faith in that group. Then again, lindy ruff's our coach, and he put matt ellis in to try to score a game tying goal once

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:08 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Ruff made a decision. Of course people will say it's wrong.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about having Hodgson and Ennis as our #1 and #2. Adam was our #1 for a period of time and it worked well for a little bit. Hodgson and Ennis are both vastly more talented and have better skill sets than Adam does.

Is the issue here defensive issues? Or is it faceoff losses? Because it's not like they are being depended on to carry the offense, they're just another forward, just like any other forward. There's no issues with having young wingers on your top line but there is an issue having a young forward as your top center, why? They are not expected to carry the team offensively, they are simply there because we have no better options. Put Hodgson will Vanek and Pominville, and they will attract the strong pairings, which they should be fine with, they put up points with freakin' Luke Adam as their center. FES can still play against the lower pairings, and then we have Leino, Gerbe, Ott or whatever amalgamation you want to make with our bottom two lines.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Sabresfansince1980

They probably shouldn't, and Ruff seemed to indicate that they won't, have two top heavy lines and whatever combos for the bottom two. They should be trying to form three balanced lines so that any one of them ends up with a mis-match on a nightly basis, depending on who's playing well and how other coaches respond.

That to me says, as I've posted several times in other threads...

Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-???-Pominville
Gerbe-McCormick/Ellis/Porter-Kaleta/Tropp

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Is the issue here defensive issues? Or is it faceoff losses?
Something to keep in mind, Ennis has only a bit of center under his belt. Given that massive amount of experience at that position at the NHL level, it's hard to condemn the kid's stats for not picking it up to a tee when Lindy decided to try him out there on a whim 3/4 through the season.

Knowing he's a center going into this season, I think a offseason of preparation could help.

At least I would think he might consider taking this time to focus on working his skillset as a center. Right?

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I guess it depends on how Roy's role is defined. I think Ruff's was just refering to his ice time and that Ennis could handle it and woudn't be protected. Not that Ennis will be sent out to try and stop anyone defensively.

Not sure why it would be viewed as a way to spark Hodgson. Before becoming a Sabre he was playing less than 13mins a night and never PKed.
It can be used to motivate anyone looking at playing center. There are a lot of minutes to be had, though Ott probably picks up the SHToI easily enough. PP time, ES time.... either guy might want some of that and the scoring opportunities that come along with it.

07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

In no way am I declaring Ennis a defensive stalwart. But to see him immediately and automatically labeled as poor defensively simply because of size is dumb. Positionally sound centers who are under 6'3 do exist, indeed.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
In no way am I declaring Ennis a defensive stalwart. But to see him immediately and automatically labeled as poor defensively simply because of size is dumb. Positionally sound centers who are under 6'3 do exist, indeed.
I'm not calling Ennis poor defensive because of his size, I'm calling him poor defensively because he is.

Gerbe is even smaller, but he's pretty good defensively. Not Selke good, but I'd trust him on the ice with 40 secs left with a one-goal lead.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote