HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Better 2012-2013 - Couturier vs. B. Schenn

View Poll Results: Who do you believe will have a better season?
B. Schenn 51 59.30%
Couturier 35 40.70%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
tuckrr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think it's going to be Couturier and it won't be close. I look at Couturier and I see someone who is so smart that he can be asked to do anything and he can make it look so easy. His role as the team's checking center last year showed just how versatile and good he really is. Laviolette needed to know he could trust Couturier. Couturier delivered and Laviolette is going to reward him this year. There's talk that Couturier is going to be the starting 2nd line center and he's going to get 1st team PP time. On top of it, Couturier has been working hard at power skating and the word is that he has found a top gear and he's also put on an additional 15 pounds to his frame.

As for Schenn, I like him and I think his brother is going to have a positive impact on him. With that being said, he was given every opportunity to succeed last year (when healthy) and he wasn't that impressive. Couturier had to fight for everything he had. Laviolette is going to reward Sean for his role last year and he's going to make Schenn work a bit. I could see Schenn possibly hitting 45-50 points in a 3rd line spot with Read and Talbot (who the Flyers want playing wing on the 3rd line as they feel he's good for 15 to 20 goals a year).

This is certainly going to be a fun camp to watch. I'm sure all the veterans on the team are looking forward to this "battle" that will take place because I also think both guys are going to push each other real hard.
links or it didnt happen!

If that's true i may change my vote to cooter.
I don't expect him to have a sophomore slump at all, he was very well managed this year (so he should have enough energy/drive to work hard in the offseason)

Schenn I expect to have a beastly off-season for obvious reasons (strong playoffs, short regular season, AND HIS FREAKIN BROTHER!)

tuckrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
dookie88

If we don't change our team drastically (Weber, Nash, Ryan) I'd like to see the following PP units.

Giroux-Hartnell-Couturier
Timonen-Voracek

Briere-Simmonds-Schenn
Read-Meszaros

Obviously G and Schenn take the draws, but Hartnell and Simmonds take the front of the net and Couturier/Schenn play the halfwall on the right.
When Voracek on the first and Read on the second unit slide down to go more into something like an umbrella with Timonen/Meszaros up high, Briere/Couturier will slide behind or to the side of the net.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:43 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
What's with people wanting Voracek on the point on power play? I don't remember him playing there too often (if at all) this season. Did he play there and I just don't remember or is there some other reason people want him on the point?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This would be the most shocking thing that you posted for me. Perhaps with a full season on the top line, but I just can't see him potting more than 20-22 goals. His shot is brutal right now.

I would be extremely pleased to see him hit 60 points.
Voracek, next to giroux that is, i think can hit 70. I watched him in clb and then on the flyers. He was a different player (in a good way). I dont think its that far off

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What's with people wanting Voracek on the point on power play? I don't remember him playing there too often (if at all) this season. Did he play there and I just don't remember or is there some other reason people want him on the point?
From what I remember, when it wasn't Jagr, it was Voracek on that PP unit.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Ya actually I think Voracek played point on the PP for maybe 1/2 of the season. He was on there a lot.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ya actually I think Voracek played point on the PP for maybe 1/2 of the season. He was on there a lot.
Fair enough.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Fair enough.
I can see why you might not think it though. He would always move down towards the net, and we played almost one point man it looked like at times. Voracek was hardly near the blueline when he played the point.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
hockeyfreak7

Voracek didnt play the point. The Flyers top unit played sort of a modified umbrella. Giroux and Jagr/Voracek played Timonen's flanks.

The unit was dependent on Giroux making the play off the left side, so that's why you probably never noticed Voracek on the opposite side until the puck was played to the net and he crashed looking for a rebound.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:13 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I thought this thread was about B. Schenn and Couturier?

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
homer just seems to love adding guys with higher hockey IQ's

Started with Richards, then Giroux, now with Couts/Schenn/Laughton
You can NEVER go wrong with adding hockey players who have a high IQ in terms of hockey smarts. They know how to play the game and they know how to win. You can't teach that. I think that's part of the reason why I think Sean Couturier will force the Flyers to move Giroux to the wing. Couturier is so smart and so cerebral when he's on the ice. It's scary to think that as a 19 year old, he thinks the game the way a 30 year old does. I think that's part of the reason why I believe he'll have a monster season this upcoming year and why he'll jump ahead of Schenn. And that's not slagging Schenn either because he's also a very good hockey player. I just don't think Schenn has the hockey IQ that Couturier has.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You can NEVER go wrong with adding hockey players who have a high IQ in terms of hockey smarts. They know how to play the game and they know how to win. You can't teach that. I think that's part of the reason why I think Sean Couturier will force the Flyers to move Giroux to the wing. Couturier is so smart and so cerebral when he's on the ice. It's scary to think that as a 19 year old, he thinks the game the way a 30 year old does. I think that's part of the reason why I believe he'll have a monster season this upcoming year and why he'll jump ahead of Schenn. And that's not slagging Schenn either because he's also a very good hockey player. I just don't think Schenn has the hockey IQ that Couturier has.
Outside of G, I'm not sure anyone on our team has the hockey IQ cooter has

Old
07-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Outside of G, I'm not sure anyone on our team has the hockey IQ cooter has
Let's pump the breaks here. Offensively, Giroux has a great hockey IQ, but it's definitely not great defensively.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:21 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Let's pump the breaks here. Offensively, Giroux has a great hockey IQ, but it's definitely not great defensively.
His sense isnt as equally distributed as cooter's is, I'll give you that. But let's pump the breaks for a second,giroux is already pretty good at defense.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Ehhh. Giroux is average at best on defense. Let's pump the brakes on saying "pump the breaks," then let's pump the brakes on claiming Giroux is pretty good at defense

07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Damaged Goods

Throttle back, people.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Throttle back, people.
Throttle the brakes

Old
07-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Stizzle

I view Couts as an ultra-special player. He just has "it".

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:14 PM
McNasty

I went with Schenn, though I still think Couturier is more important to the franchise long term. Couturier will still be the defensive force he was, and his production should increase I just think Schenn is going to get 2nd line minutes and I'm confident he can produce.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Amateur Hour

They're both going to be really, really good players. The type a team can build around and win with. Couturier is that rare talent, a potential franchise cornerstone. I can't wait to see how Brayden plays when he's on the ice against Crosby. Like Giroux, he seems to embrace the challenge of playing against the best. It brings out his best.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Ehhh. Giroux is average at best on defense. Let's pump the brakes on saying "pump the breaks," then let's pump the brakes on claiming Giroux is pretty good at defense
He's a good PK'r, but that's all hockey sense and willingness to work. Once you ask him to check someone, it's not looking so good.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Here's the better question...

Long-term, does anyone see Brayden Schenn at wing in more of a Dustin Brown role than a Mike Richards?

If so, we don't need to screw around trading assets for winger for Giroux.

Hartnell - Giroux - BSchenn
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko
Sestito, Shelley

Timonen - LSchenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gervais
Lilja
Gustafsson, Bourdon, Manning

Bryzgalov
Leighton

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Long-term, does anyone see Brayden Schenn at wing in more of a Dustin Brown role than a Mike Richards?

Hartnell - Giroux - BSchenn
Simmonds - Briere - Voracek
Wellwood - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko
Sestito, Shelley

Timonen - LSchenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gervais
Lilja
Gustafsson, Bourdon, Manning

Bryzgalov
Leighton
I still think its crazy that people aren't automatically throwing Voracek on the top line! G+V are going to be sick this season... I know everyone wants a sniper with giroux, but the truth is... Giroux can score goals himself and hartnell can as well... Voracek I believe said he was going to work on his shooting.

That to me is a great line. Voracek has the uncanny ability of getting the puck in the zone. It sounds dumb but that is more then half the battle. He protects the puck into the zone and pulls the forsberg "round-up" move to skate around and find the open man. The amount of chances that line could produce with Voracek getting the puck in, Hartnell pounding bodies and creating space, and giroux finding the open lanes for snap shots and creating plays.... they are going to be incredible.

Back on topic: I picked Couturier... I think they both have monster years and its hard to even vote on this because I want them both to be awesome. To me, on a team where defense didn't seem like the #1 priority, Couturier was there. When he was given the chance you could see magic in his game. The kid has "it" as everyone has said and I am a huge fan. Given more ice time and more importantly, more time with quality players... his numbers will sky rocket.

End of the day, the pieces we got for Richards/Carter are untradable in my mind... all of them are awesome and I don't want to trade any of them ever.

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:43 AM
hockeyfreak7

I agree with Chris that Schenn could potentially fit alongside Giroux.

As for Voracek, I want to see him with Couturier. I really think Voracek and Couturier could be a perfect match. Especially watching the highlight vids in the other thread of each player today, I really think both players were at their best offensively when they were together. Voracek-Couturier-Read would be a perfect two way third line, and would give all three players a chance to build on their successes last season.

That would leave Simmonds-Briere-Wellwood as a line. I don't mind that. Briere's game doesn't really rely much on his line mates being very talented-- he just needs room to work and he needs to be awake during the regular season to be successful. To be honest, if we were to sign Semin or Doan, I think they would fit better on this line in place of Wellwood than on Giroux's line. Giroux is going to put up the points no matter who is with him. I don't understand why everyone is so quick to finds winger for him. Isn't that what makes him (and players like Crosby, Malkin) so special? The fact that they don't need elite line mates to produce offensively?

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Simmonds-Briere-Wellwood
Voracek-Couturier-Read
Fedotenko-Talbot-Rinaldo

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

It's an interesting suggestion. I don't see why he couldn't do well in that role. It's usually easier going from center to wing than vice versa. I really like this idea actually. I think he has a lot of game once the puck is in the offensive zone, and he is a good skater...but he's not overly fast and he's not overly slick with the puck on his stick, but he has a good shot. Winger material perhaps. I really would like to see Read with Hartnell on Giroux's wings for a few games in a row this season. I think that combination has a chance to be electric.

I could also see Voracek playing center on a line before his careers done. He has all the things you usually look for in a center (well, all the things I do anyway). He has some size and good defensive ability, the speed to cover 200 feet, is a good puck carrier and distributor. More of a center's skill set than a winger's IMO. Not that he's bad in corners, but the guy doesn't shoot the puck well enough to be a great winger right now. That may change though.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 07-11-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote