HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 9-14

Old
07-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Mothra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Don't bother.
I cant believe this guy isnt a player yet...I mean geez.....he was drafted a month ago and has had almost 2 full practices.....

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:40 PM
IafrateOvie34

Thanks for the updates folks. Some of us cannot see the action live and I like what I'm hearing.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
In the house white goal line

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Thanks for the updates folks. Some of us cannot see the action live and I like what I'm hearing.

Go Caps!
Seconded!

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:54 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
OK.

I was at the scrimmage yesterday and just now got to my computer to type some observations up. I don't pretend to be a scout or anything so I am just going to post what I saw, and I usually just lurk but since there wasn't any write-ups on the first scrimmage...here you go.

The game was two 25 minute halves with running clock until I think the last two minutes of the second half. Because I watched the game for fun I am merely going to post things that stood out to me.

Goaltenders

All four goalies played and played well. Of the two invites, Darling looked the shakiest.

Defensemen

Cameron Schilling- Was the oldest and looked it. Was definitely the most polished of the d-men. Made all of the routine plays look routine. Stepped up when appropriate and had a decent first pass.

Garrett Haar- Looked decent, didn't stand out.

Patrick Koudys- Same as Haar

Patrick Wey- Was surprised at how big he was and filled out, Schilling and him looked the best of all the d-men.

Connor Carrick- didn't notice him once.

Christian Djoos- poor guy always seemed to be going up against Wilson, looked small and somewhat slow, but was in good position for the most part

Jaynen Rissling- big guy with long reach reminded me of schultz in that way, good on the poke check, used his body well which made me not think of schultz.

Of the invites
Max Iafrate- Jumped into the play a couple times, didn't look out of place amongst the drafted d-men

None of the other d-men stood out. But overall the d looked better than the forwards, they never got beat on the rush and forced everything wide.

Forwards

Filip Forsberg- Was the youngest player there but didn't look the youngest. It was apparent he was the smartest of all of the forwards on the ice. He made two nice plays that his linemates were not ready for. In the defensive zone with the d-man pinching on him, he played a soft between the legs pass to the centerman that was cutting, but he wasn't ready for the pass (would have been a two on one). In the offensive zone along the far boards he made another soft chip to a linemate and then cut for a give and go, but the linemate never looked for him (would have been Forsberg alone with the goalie).

With all that said, he definitely needs a year. He didn't dominate like I would expect from someone that was NHL ready.

Tom Wilson- Loved what I saw out of Wilson. First shift he hit two guys along the boards hard. His line controlled play when they were on the ice. The puck always seemed to be on his stick in the corner or behind the net where he made nice power moves to get to the front. Used his body and out muscled every guy he came across. If he develops his skating and stick handling, he could be a force.

Stan Galiev- Definitely looked the most polished among the forwards. Could definitely see him get the call up at some point this year, but hopefully not from the start. Quick first stride and was one of the few forwards that had a nice rush, shot it into the Anderson's chest

Travis Boyd- barely noticeable, Stefishen and Stephenson overshadowed him on their line.

Chandler Stephenson- I liked what I saw out of Stephenson. Reminds me of Eakin a couple years ago.

Thomas Di Pauli- played smallish but hard

Caleb Herbert- not noticeable

Riley Barber- very similar to DiPauli

Taylor Stefishen- decent player nothing too great

Greg Burke- didn't notice him except for his size, him, Wilson, Civitarese, and Martinsen stood out for size among the forwards.

Barry Almeida- small

T.J. Syner- smaller

David Civitarese- bigger

Of the invites

Greg Miller- I really liked him. He made a few nice skill plays coming down the middle for a couple of scoring chances early. Looked faster than his linemates and didn't shy away from contact.

Nathan Walker- small, but quick, didn't stand out

Nardo Nagtzaam- nice wheels, looked to have decent handles. Had a nice rush, that was snuffed out my a good poke check.

Andreas Martinsen- big rig but not a strong skater.

Not much else to add except that in the final minute Wilson and Tate got in each others face and were pushing each other. Nothing materialized but they were chatting all the way to the bench for the change. So look for something around that later in camp.
I'm going to admit I am hoping this guy impresses and gets a contract. His father is my favorite NHL player of all time and would a coolness factor for me.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Rissling got picked bailey got the worst of it.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

For anyone else here, am I mistaken, or is Nagtzaam not playing?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Haar is the only one I know is out for sure, but haven't seen Nagtzaam's name mentioned. Keep in mind I'm following on Twitter though.

Twitter making it sound like Soberg is impressing. Lots of good chances today compared to D dominating yesterday?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

OK, Nagtzaam is scratched along with Haar and Ammon.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:21 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I bailed after the 1st.

No one stood out to me. The older/better prospects looked bigger and more polished - as expected. Otherwise with almost no hitting, its a skate fest and tough for me to see anything unique about a player.

I didnt notice Wilson at all.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:49 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I bailed after the 1st.

No one stood out to me. The older/better prospects looked bigger and more polished - as expected. Otherwise with almost no hitting, its a skate fest and tough for me to see anything unique about a player.

I didnt notice Wilson at all.
Randy, I must have been not too far from you. Sat in the bleachers at the white end for the first and most of the second. Have to agree that no one jumped out, but Galiev on his first shift showed that he anticipates play well where most of the other forwards react to play. He showed some good wheels on the first shift and some nifty passing. First period red team had Wilson and Martinsen on the wings on one line, that was some size on that line. Midway through that first though Martinsen seemed to be somewhat spent (conditioning?). Didn't notice Forsberg too much, but then again he's on the white team and I was at their defensive end. Wilson and Tate bumped a bit in the second and Tate was giving him the stare and later on was yaking to him, seemed Tate was more interested than Wilson. Wilson did throw some checks in the second but nothing of significance. The two best defenseman and no suprise was Wey for red and Schilling for white. Wey looks very confident and comfortable back there and he seems to take charge and actually had some nice shots.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Back from the scrimmage. As said above, kind of a skate-fest (and a choppy one) in the first and second. Physical play seemed to pick up a bit in the third.

Some observations on players:

Galiev: Best player on the ice, IMO. Created chances, won races, protected the puck along the boards, and the puck seemed to always find him.

Forsberg: A few nice moments. At one point in the first, he kept the puck in at the right point, deked around a defender who subsequently hooked and tripped in, and made a cross-ice pass to an open teammate at the opposite point. Also deked past two defesnemen from center ice, beating the RD to the outside, and crashed the net. I totally agree with the sentiment that he's way ahead of his linemates mentally. Better linemates and he looks a whole lot better. Similar to Backstrom and Johansson, he more so just went with the flow of the game ad didn't stand out too much.

Wilson: Consistently took the body and showed some decent hockey sense. His highlight for me: deked around a checker on the right wing, took it towards the net and when the puck was checked away by collapsing defenders, he decided to plow the closest guy (Walker) right into the white goalie (Anderson). Reminiscent of Ovie on Gill. As big as he is, he's got a ton of room to fill out.

Schilling/Wey: Solid all-around, took the body, and made some well-timed pinches. Both look like future NHLers to me. Stylistically, they seem very similar, with Schilling having a bit more offensive bent to his game Wey reminds me a bit of Chris Phillips in how he plays.

Di Pauli/Barber: Both showed a ton of tenacity, and decent skill. Barber's best play was in the second: he beat a defenseman to the puck while entering the offensive zone on the right wing, held the defenseman off, and threaded a perfect cross-ice pass to his opposite wing (Vallorani) for the game's first goal.

Stephenson: Didn't notice him much

Herbert: His wheels looked surprisingly good in the first, but left with an ankle injury

Carrick: Really liked what I saw with him. Best puck handler on defense for either team, and stepped up with big shoulder checks in the neutral zone in the third, knocking the forward on his ass each time (Bailey and Wilson).

Invites:

Iafrate: Tough game for him, I thought. Went a bit Garnet Exelby--going for the big hipcheck at just about every opportunity, whether it took him out of position or not. Ike the aggressiveness though.

Tyson Wilson: Great poise with the puck under pressure, along with a few punishing hits. Had a similar game to Carrick.

Vallorani: Stand out invite forward, IMO. Nice quickness and work rate in the offensive zone and had beautiful one-timed goal from the Barber pass.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:11 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
I think Forsberg isn't trying very hard, which is a symptom of him pretty much not being here next year so he doesn't have to be going as hard to try and make the roster.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I think Forsberg isn't trying very hard, which is a symptom of him pretty much not being here next year so he doesn't have to be going as hard to try and make the roster.
That is a major issue if true. I highly doubt it is.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Is this speculation or have you watched any of camp?

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
It's development camp...

Liking the good words on Wilson.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Back from the scrimmage. As said above, kind of a skate-fest (and a choppy one) in the first and second. Physical play seemed to pick up a bit in the third.

Some observations on players:

Galiev: Best player on the ice, IMO. Created chances, won races, protected the puck along the boards, and the puck seemed to always find him.

Forsberg: A few nice moments. At one point in the first, he kept the puck in at the right point, deked around a defender who subsequently hooked and tripped in, and made a cross-ice pass to an open teammate at the opposite point. Also deked past two defesnemen from center ice, beating the RD to the outside, and crashed the net. I totally agree with the sentiment that he's way ahead of his linemates mentally. Better linemates and he looks a whole lot better. Similar to Backstrom and Johansson, he more so just went with the flow of the game ad didn't stand out too much.

Wilson: Consistently took the body and showed some decent hockey sense. His highlight for me: deked around a checker on the right wing, took it towards the net and when the puck was checked away by collapsing defenders, he decided to plow the closest guy (Walker) right into the white goalie (Anderson). Reminiscent of Ovie on Gill. As big as he is, he's got a ton of room to fill out.

Schilling/Wey: Solid all-around, took the body, and made some well-timed pinches. Both look like future NHLers to me. Stylistically, they seem very similar, with Schilling having a bit more offensive bent to his game Wey reminds me a bit of Chris Phillips in how he plays.

Di Pauli/Barber: Both showed a ton of tenacity, and decent skill. Barber's best play was in the second: he beat a defenseman to the puck while entering the offensive zone on the right wing, held the defenseman off, and threaded a perfect cross-ice pass to his opposite wing (Vallorani) for the game's first goal.

Stephenson: Didn't notice him much

Herbert: His wheels looked surprisingly good in the first, but left with an ankle injury

Carrick: Really liked what I saw with him. Best puck handler on defense for either team, and stepped up with big shoulder checks in the neutral zone in the third, knocking the forward on his ass each time (Bailey and Wilson).

Invites:

Iafrate: Tough game for him, I thought. Went a bit Garnet Exelby--going for the big hipcheck at just about every opportunity, whether it took him out of position or not. Ike the aggressiveness though.

Tyson Wilson: Great poise with the puck under pressure, along with a few punishing hits. Had a similar game to Carrick.

Vallorani: Stand out invite forward, IMO. Nice quickness and work rate in the offensive zone and had beautiful one-timed goal from the Barber pass.
NBW, the one thing that I came away from the scrimmage is that Wey playing RD today and Schilling playing LD today they may make a nice pairing for the Caps in a year or two after Wey graduates from BC.

We can call them Schillwey.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 07-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Haar is the only one I know is out for sure, but haven't seen Nagtzaam's name mentioned. Keep in mind I'm following on Twitter though.

Twitter making it sound like Soberg is impressing. Lots of good chances today compared to D dominating yesterday?
I tweeted it, fwiw. Nagtzaam didn't skate this morning (per updates on twitter) or in the scrimmage. Herbert switched teams and then didn't play the later part of the scrimmage after he got injured.

Haar per reports took the ice this morning and quickly came off. Per the updates from the reporters, he is out with a hip flexor.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-10-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: typo in a name
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:03 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
NBW, the one thing that I came away from the scrimmage is that Wey playing RD today and Schilling playing LD today they may make a nice pairing for the Caps in a year or two after Wey graduates from BC.
Agree about the two D, watching both days from down on Team White's end, Wey's poise and positioning is noticeable. I was down on the white end, so don't know all of the red pairings today. I assume they were more consistent than yesterday with Haar out.

Team White/Group B updated: The d pairings were accurate yesterday in terms of L/R side except it's Djoos/Rissling.

Wey, as noted, was playing the right side on Team Red/Group B paired with Koudys from what I saw at least some of the time.

Anderson took a beating in goal today. Got knocked over and looked to his the back of his head on the ice in the third, but finished the game. Earlier in the third, he looked to get stung on his right hand.

I thought Herbert's injury was his right knee not his ankle, but regardless not good. He got hurt late in the 2nd and I was surprised he came back to play in the third, but he didn't last long. He took a fall in front of the net and I'm guessing aggravated whatever part of his leg he had hurt earlier. Herbert was the one player to flip sides from yesterday's scrimmage, due to the players missing due to injury.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

NBTW refreshed my memory, I saw some crafty plays from Vallorani. I just couldn't remember the name. He was one of the few that stood out, that I didn't expect to.

Yeah Ref I was 3rd row 1st seat nearest white goal line in the first. I did see that nice rush to start the game from Galiev, but again, I expect that against the others in camp.

It seemed like Soberg had a nice game.

I thought Herbert got injured in the 1st. Forced to guess, I would say a knee.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
NBTW refreshed my memory, I saw some crafty plays from Vallorani. I just couldn't remember the name. He was one of the few that stood out, that I didn't expect to.

I thought Herbert got injured in the 1st. Forced to guess, I would say a knee.
Yes, I typed that wrong, end of first, beginning of second. Sorry. Yes, I thought knee originally and again when he hit the ice in the 2nd.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Thanks a ton to all. And good job new guy. Great write-up. No need to just lurk with insights like that.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

I'm curious as to how Galiev suddenly got pimped as a big club option. It seemed to be mentioned here briefly, then Whyno "got a hunch" (while well-couching in case he doesn't make it so Whyno can have it both ways) and then the other beats picked it up.

I think Galiev's going to spend next season bouncing between Reading and Hershey - and to no discredit to him. juniors to pros is the big jump. I'm long-term optimistic on the guy, but thinking of him on the big club (not matter how much CYA is involved) is very optimistic.

Love to be wrong, but...

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm curious as to how Galiev suddenly got pimped as a big club option. It seemed to be mentioned here briefly, then Whyno "got a hunch" (while well-couching in case he doesn't make it so Whyno can have it both ways) and then the other beats picked it up.

I think Galiev's going to spend next season bouncing between Reading and Hershey - and to no discredit to him. juniors to pros is the big jump. I'm long-term optimistic on the guy, but thinking of him on the big club (not matter how much CYA is involved) is very optimistic.

Love to be wrong, but...
Honestly, Whyno probably got it from here. I think the idea comes from his performance in (most of) the QMJHL playoffs and McPhee's failure to/decision not to sign a top-6 winger. I haven't seen him at camp or anything like some have, but I really doubt that he'll see time in the ECHL this season. I don't think he'll make the Capitals, but I would bet a lot of money on 0 ECHL games and at least 5 NHL games for him.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I did think Galiev looked more physically advanced than a lot of guys at camp. Not the same lanky kid I've seen before (though, admittedly the last time I saw him in person was two summers ago).

I don't think it'll hurt his development to let him sink or swim in Hershey.