HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

So why don't top FA's come to Canada?

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Again, Hamuis and Bouwmeester are nice guys, but they aren't top 20 players. I'm talking someone like Sundin except coming from a US team. This is not a recent thing, this has been a problem before and after the lockout.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Melrose Munch

I am sure goods are cheaper.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Taxes, to sing a contract in Quebec , half of your contract goes to the Provence and Canada

Old
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Again, Hamuis and Bouwmeester are nice guys, but they aren't top 20 players. I'm talking someone like Sundin except coming from a US team. This is not a recent thing, this has been a problem before and after the lockout.
Jbo was considered a top 20 defenseman just waiting to break out.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Yeah because L.A., SJ and Carolina are just always signing the top free agents....
LA is always a top free agent destination in all leagues.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Winnipeg is a boring ice box

Calgary and Ottawa lack the extensive night life that's attractive to a 23/26 year old

Too much pressure to win on a crappy team in Toronto.

Lots of NHLers don't want to have to learn French so Montreal is out

Vancouver is out of the picture with cap constraints and nobody wants to play for a bunch of whining, cheating, divers.

Edmonton has picked 1st 3 years in a row. They have no D or goalie and unless youre a bottom 6 player you wont be getting any ice time. Edmonton is 4 years from even being cup contenders. Why sign there now?

-pissed off 7 fanbases...check
Put a team in Halifax?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Winnipeg is a boring ice box

Calgary and Ottawa lack the extensive night life that's attractive to a 23/26 year old

Too much pressure to win on a crappy team in Toronto.

Lots of NHLers don't want to have to learn French so Montreal is out

Vancouver is out of the picture with cap constraints and nobody wants to play for a bunch of whining, cheating, divers.

Edmonton has picked 1st 3 years in a row. They have no D or goalie and unless youre a bottom 6 player you wont be getting any ice time. Edmonton is 4 years from even being cup contenders. Why sign there now?

-pissed off 7 fanbases...check

This is epic.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

1. Media Pressure
2. Cost of Living
3. Best chance to Win Stanley Cup
4. Weather

Old
07-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Taxes do have something to do with it. Tax rates for those who make more than $150,00 per year in Canada are quite year are quite high on their own. The look massive when compared to the very low rate these same high-income earners would make in many American jurisdictions. (Look at the US general election campaign, this issue is being argued right now between Obama and Romney)

The tax rates for middle-income earners is more favorable in most Canadian jurisdictions than what middle-income earners in the US receive. It's funny, the US military-industrial complex is a trillion dollar war machine and somehow they got the middle class and working poor to pay for it.
Oh oh.....looks like a Alex Jones fan..leave your silly political points out of this......... I think only my Province of Alberta has somewhat the same taxes as most U.S. States ......I think Quebec has the highest....along with the language issue also, I would think it would always be a problem going forward for the Habs to attract great Free Agents.....

Old
07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
1. Media Pressure
2. Cost of Living
3. Best chance to Win Stanley Cup
4. Weather
Suter and Parise just signed in Canada Junior with a team that won't win a Cup and has crappy weather.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Jbo was considered a top 20 defenseman just waiting to break out.
Was, now he's mediocre.

Even when Canadian teams where good they never got any free agents.

Toronto got only Roberts and Tucker for there run from 2000-2004.

Old
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Suter and Parise just signed in Canada Junior with a team that won't win a Cup and has crappy weather.
How do you know they won't win the Cup....their chances have just increased dramatically ......

Old
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Should have added hometown considerations to that list. You can point out many specific examples over time but I think those 4 are really important for some players.

The bigger issue is the psychological games canadian fans play with themselves regarding why it is seen as a mark of disappointment that top players, middle players, any players don't choose to play in canada.

This is the NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE including 7 Canadian Teams and 23 American Teams. This league whether you want to believe it or not encompasses two nations and when the players suit up are on the ice I have to believe this Canada Prestige is not their main concern.

If you want to make this about Canada vs USA save it for the winter olympics.

Last edited by PanthersHockey1: 07-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Devonator

To be fair, Jay Bo was a major signing for a Canadian team...it isn't Calgary fault that he turned out to be not so great....lots of teams were bidding for him in the U.S. and Canada.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
Who the **** has blamed Americans for the poor showing of Canadian teams?
"our money is going to prop up the south, it should be spent here" - leafs fans since 2004. I have heard it many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I love how the first high profile player to play out his contract and sign with his hometown team is a first generation American. And now has gone so far to Americanize the pronunciation of his last name.

I always thought Crosby would do it. Oh well.

And now Rick Nash doesn't want to be traded to a Canadian team.

I admire Parise for doing it.....too bad Canadian players don't give a damn about their boyhood teams.
Agreed.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo123 View Post
Canadian teams generally are smart enough to control their spending and resign key players without spending 90m. Also Im pretty sure the cost of living is higher in Canada than the US especially with taxes. As a Vancouver native, I can say it's an expensive place to be
Vancouver is the most expensive city in NA. You get more for your buck in NYC.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
The wild will make noise next year.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Was, now he's mediocre.

Even when Canadian teams where good they never got any free agents.

Toronto got only Roberts and Tucker for there run from 2000-2004.
Yes but at the time of the signing it was a top FA signing.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Yes but at the time of the signing it was a top FA signing.
Fair. So that's two.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Cephalusc

Is this because of Suter and Parise? They didn't seem to have any interest in Canadian teams... probably because they are American.

I disagree with the OPs point... I don't think high profile free agents tend to choose the US over Canada. Sure more sign in the US, but I think that's because there are more options. Players do seem to avoid Edmonton though... Schultz is the only decent one in recent memory.

Calgary has signed Wideman and Hudler this year alone, both among the best FAs available this season. Bouwmeester was also a high profile FA.

Alberta actually has one of the lower tax rates in both USA and Canada, so that isn't a reason.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Taxes probably have less to do with it than you guys might think.

I think this is a recent trend having to do with the current overall quality of Canadian teams more than anything else(Also, most Canadian teams are right at the cap most of the time). Sure, other factors come into it, such as climate, media attention, etc. But I don't think there's anything inherent about Canadian teams that make them unattractive FA destinations.
Why a lot less? The 4 worst cities for taxes are Canadian.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Fair. So that's two.
How many top FA's have signed in the states? Before this year they had 75% more teams so they should be able to sign 75% more big name UFA's.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucklington View Post
Actually in many cases taxes are lower then they are in the US. Look at Alberta for example.

There are 7 Canadian teams, and 23 American teams. Numbers dictate that top end free agents are more likely to sign in the US.

Some notable free agents to sign in Canada in the last couple of years:

Schultz
Bouwmeester (I know sign and trade, but 1 day away from UFA)
Souray
Hamhuis
Actually - while the overall income tax rate in Alberta may be lower than some states in the US - there are some states in the US that have very low tax rates as well. There are no state income taxes in Florida and Tennessee which will save you around 5% although they do have higher sales tax.

Those 4 guys don't represent anywhere near 23% of the free agent talent that has signed since the earlier of those contracts.

I think taxes to play a big part but climate is the biggest consideration. A lot of people move away from their hometowns and don't move back. So if you had a job offer from any number of cities in North America and you're a Canadian guy from some suburb of Ottawa or something - I think you'd probably like to live somewhere warmer and maybe on the coast. There are a ton of 40-60 year old Canadian ex-Flyers walking around the Jersey shore all summer. I have seen Jim Watson, Time Kerr, Bernie Parent, Chris Therien at the beach to name a few. I understand guys love to stay in the Raleigh, NC area after their careers end as well.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-10-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: no one cares about your political opinion
Old
07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
How many top FA's have signed in the states? Before this year they had 75% more teams so they should be able to sign 75% more big name UFA's.
Will Parise and suter. hudler went to you guys, he was not a top, 2/3 right there.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalusc View Post
Is this because of Suter and Parise? They didn't seem to have any interest in Canadian teams... probably because they are American.

I disagree with the OPs point... I don't think high profile free agents tend to choose the US over Canada. Sure more sign in the US, but I think that's because there are more options. Players do seem to avoid Edmonton though... Schultz is the only decent one in recent memory.

Calgary has signed Wideman and Hudler this year alone, both among the best FAs available this season. Bouwmeester was also a high profile FA.

Alberta actually has one of the lower tax rates in both USA and Canada, so that isn't a reason.
People are still avoiding Edmonton for whatever reason so.

Closed Thread