HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas to Calgary?

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
GoBs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Future considerations would be overpayment from Calgary...

He won us a cup, but he's a jackass, it evens out... Please just get him out of here before his reputation in Boston is completely ruined.
He's a jackass because of his political views? Alright dude. Typical Bostononian.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:13 PM
LukeD
On Fire

He must reallllly hate Obama if he wants to come to Canada

Old
07-10-2012, 08:23 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
He's a jackass because of his political views? Alright dude. Typical Bostononian.

Pretty sure there's other reasons why...

Old
07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Where have you been all off season?

Old
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
OrrCam

Quote:

He won us a cup, but he's a jackass, it evens out... Please just get him out of here before his reputation in Boston is completely ruined.

Right on dude. He "won us a cup", the first in 39 years. But because he refuses to participate in a Dumb *** hockey tradition and visit the oral office, kiss Obama's ***, follows his faith and decides to spend more time with his family, he's a jack***.

That's rich! Typical liberal pinko New England tude. Speaking of jack*****!!!

Old
07-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
as far as this goes... lets keep the facts straight

thomas is refusing to report... guys that dont report get suspended... suspended guys dont get paid

the cap hit does count but there is no money paid

so he is free cap space... he saves some team from havign to pay real money... hes like a 5 million dollar bill to a poor owner.

he will definitely have trade value to a team that has NO INTENTION of spending to the cap floor but is there a team like that out there?

anyhow thomas can be dumped anywhere for a handshake cause he wont actually be paid... but imo boston has no desire at all to deal him for a handshake cause he is one of the top 5 goalies in hockey. they will wait him out unless they absolutely cant afford it.. or they will deal him for a return
It's still unknown whether or not the league would approve such a trade. If Thomas formally says, "I'm not playing this year" and the B's trade him to a team trying to avoid reaching the cap floor, the commish CAN nix the trade. Would he? That's the unknown.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrCam View Post
Right on dude. He "won us a cup", the first in 39 years. But because he refuses to participate in a Dumb *** hockey tradition and visit the oral office, kiss Obama's ***, follows his faith and decides to spend more time with his family, he's a jack***.

That's rich! Typical liberal pinko New England tude. Speaking of jack*****!!!
He put himself ahead of the team.

And now he's bailing on the last year of his contract.

But yes...just liberal pinko nonsense to think lowly of him

Old
07-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
He put himself ahead of the team.

And now he's bailing on the last year of his contract.

But yes...just liberal pinko nonsense to think lowly of him
Slavery ended 150 years ago. You can't, and shouldn't be able to, make a person play hockey if they don't want to play hockey. He's giving up a year's salary. Stop being so selfish if someone has decided if there life is better off without hockey for a year.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:40 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Slavery ended 150 years ago. You can't, and shouldn't be able to, make a person play hockey if they don't want to play hockey. He's giving up a year's salary. Stop being so selfish if someone has decided if there life is better off without hockey for a year.
I agree with you 100%. I have absolutely zero ill will towards Tim Thomas. None whatsoever, he's free to do what's best for him.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Hahaha, hilarious slave reference...oh wait, no that's an absurdly dumb comment to make.

He bailed on his team, and the fans of that team.

Any Boston fan who has ill will towards Thomas is well within his or her rights, despite people making embarrassing slaving references.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Hahaha, hilarious slave reference...oh wait, no that's an absurdly dumb comment to make.

He bailed on his team, and the fans of that team.

Any Boston fan who has ill will towards Thomas is well within his or her rights, despite people making embarrassing slaving references.
What's absurd and hilarious is you feeling that you've been "bailed on" because a guy wants to live his life for himself and his family and not you.

Bailed on the team? Wait a second? Does every player who retires "bail" on his team? What's the difference.... oh wait that's right..... there's a cap hit in this case. If Thomas said, "You know, I've achieved what I've wanted, I have other priorities now. Thanks for everything." and retired and there was NO cap hit... you'd be fine with it. But since there is it makes you all mad. Guess what. Tim Thomas doesn't owe you squat and has the duty to himself and his family to do what is best for them whether or not it hurts your little cap or not.

And yes... forcing someone to work against his or her will is slavery.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:53 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I would love to see that report; nothing I've read/seen/heard has confirmed this "report" as anything more than an opinion.
I don't assume it to be correct, I also don't assume your opinion to be correct even though you stated it as a fact, That is kind of the point.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
What's absurd and hilarious is you feeling that you've been "bailed on" because a guy wants to live his life for himself and his family and not you.

Bailed on the team? Wait a second? Does every player who retires "bail" on his team? What's the difference.... oh wait that's right..... there's a cap hit in this case. If Thomas said, "You know, I've achieved what I've wanted, I have other priorities now. Thanks for everything." and retired and there was NO cap hit... you'd be fine with it. But since there is it makes you all mad. Guess what. Tim Thomas doesn't owe you squat and has the duty to himself and his family to do what is best for them whether or not it hurts your little cap or not.

What's actually absurd is that people actually think it's about his family, and not about him using his only possible "veto" power to ensure he doesn't get traded somewhere he doesn't want to play.

Also, I'm not a Bruins fan.

And...please stop with the slavery references. It's pathetic and embarrassing. No one, at any point, made ANY comment about forcing him to work against his or her will. Seriously...it's embarrassing.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:

I think it's already too late for that. Sucks that it had to end this way though, really liked TT, love him for bringing the cup back to Boston and how he turned his career around with us. But I have lost a lot of respect for him since this debacle.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
CDJ

Yeah, the least he could have done was retire if he was going to pull a stunt like what he has done. I understand not wanting to play, but all he really is doing is ****ing over the only franchise that gave him a shot in the NHL. Five mill can go a looooonnggg way.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

I am not one of the people going around saying Thomas bailed on the team but comparing what he is doing and someone who is retiring is a bit off the mark if you ask me. You are correct, he doesn't owe us anything, but he does owe the Bruins one year of service. By retiring it would appear that he is done with his career but by doing what he is doing it appears to quite a few people that he just won't play for the Bruins.

None of us know exactly what the Bruins said to Thomas either.

Nobody is saying Thomas should be forced to work against his will, that is being a bit over dramatic don't you think? He just shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL or any affiliated league until his contract with the Bruins is worked out one way or another.

Some people just don't appreciate the way he went about it and many feel that there would have been far better ways to do things. And you know what, those people have just as much right to feel that way and voice their opinions as Thomas has to sit out a year.

Now I don't exactly agree with all of that but I certainly understand it, I think I can understand how Thomas might feel as well if he is having troubles with his family. Maybe if everyone who is looking at this situation in strictly black and white, right or wrong way should just step back and admit that there are a lot of shades of grey here and none of us are completely certain of exactly what went on to bring this about.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:25 PM
xtra

So uh how true is this talk? i pretty much ignored it when i saw it cause i thought it was crazy but i don't want to go through 8 pgs of debate about thomas political ideas

Old
07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:

Ya but the difference is that Thomas didn't retire, he's taking a year off. Whether or not that's to eventually get traded and play elsewhere has been yet to be determined. That's where I think people get upset. If he came out and retired, I think the reaction would be different. I think it's the semantics of "taking a year off" that gets people.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not one of the people going around saying Thomas bailed on the team but comparing what he is doing and someone who is retiring is a bit off the mark if you ask me. You are correct, he doesn't owe us anything, but he does owe the Bruins one year of service. By retiring it would appear that he is done with his career but by doing what he is doing it appears to quite a few people that he just won't play for the Bruins.

None of us know exactly what the Bruins said to Thomas either.

Nobody is saying Thomas should be forced to work against his will, that is being a bit over dramatic don't you think? He just shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL or any affiliated league until his contract with the Bruins is worked out one way or another.

Some people just don't appreciate the way he went about it and many feel that there would have been far better ways to do things. And you know what, those people have just as much right to feel that way and voice their opinions as Thomas has to sit out a year.

Now I don't exactly agree with all of that but I certainly understand it, I think I can understand how Thomas might feel as well if he is having troubles with his family. Maybe if everyone who is looking at this situation in strictly black and white, right or wrong way should just step back and admit that there are a lot of shades of grey here and none of us are completely certain of exactly what went on to bring this about.
You can choose to believe him or not. He says he wants to take a year off and decide what to do after that. It stinks that it counts against the cap, but that shouldn't be his concern. Patric Roy retired with a year left on his contract but Avs fans didn't call it bailing on the team.

As far as not being allowed to play somewhere else... you are exactly correct. He either plays for the Bruins or where they trade him or not at all. I see no evidence that this is about him trying to get out of town. If he wanted to play somewhere else the "I'm taking a year off" was the worst thing he could do to make that happen.

You may see shades of gray, but I don't. I see a person exercising his freedom to do what he wants in life. He's giving up his career or at least putting it on hold. It happens every day in every walk of life. The fact that he's an athlete or that there's a salary cap doesn't change that.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
caley

Eh, I'd say this has run its course.

Closed Thread