Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would have happend...

Old
04-16-2006, 02:17 PM
schrottkind

vCash: 500
What would have happend...

...had the Wild aquired Joe Thornton from the Bruins when the Sharks did?

San Jose gave up: Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart. In other words:
a 27-year-old left-winger (around 60 points over the season), a 29-year-old center (22 points for the season) and a 25-year-old defenseman (about 40 points over the season).
Replacing those 3 guys with players on the Wild who have similar attributes a trade would have looked like this:

The Wild give up: Todd White, Pacal Dupuis and Brent Burns. Maybe a first or second round pick, too.

What do you think?

schrottkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2006, 02:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrottkind
...had the Wild aquired Joe Thornton from the Bruins when the Sharks did?

San Jose gave up: Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart. In other words:
a 27-year-old left-winger (around 60 points over the season), a 29-year-old center (22 points for the season) and a 25-year-old defenseman (about 40 points over the season).
Replacing those 3 guys with players on the Wild who have similar attributes a trade would have looked like this:

The Wild give up: Todd White, Pacal Dupuis and Brent Burns. Maybe a first or second round pick, too.

What do you think?
That's not equal.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Wild Bill

Ya, couldn't have happened with that package...

Maybe something closer to:

Bouchard + White + Burns + good FW prospect

Even then, I'd still want Sturm and Stuart if I was them...not to mention that they were dealing exclusively with San Jose and didn't shop him throughout the league.

IMO the return was more about Stuart than anyone else.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 01:56 AM
sushinsky4tsar

well a moot point, but considering we need to find a 1st line center to feed Gaborik this offseason, I think Thornton would have fit the bill nicely

So who do we get this offseason? Savard is the big name who seems to fit on paper. I don't know if I would want to gamble on him w/ a huge contract though: #1: Atlanta's system #2: I've heard he might be one of those players that you sign to a 3/4-year contract, and only get one season out of him (contract year). I don't know if that's true or not. What else is out there? Doug Weight?

Whoever we sign, I would actually like to see a lot more of Koivu playing with Gaborik next year. Especially if O'Sullivan gets some time on the other side of Gaborik. Let Patty-O be Patty-O (even though I have a bad feeling JL is going to bust his chops all season), Gaborik plays a solid two-way game, then you have Koivu whose only responsibility is to take care of the defensive end and feed his two wingers. Add a Redden or Jovanovski to spring Gaborik & O'Sullivan, bring back a whole lot of Rolston-White-Bouchard, and you have two very potent scoring lines.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 05:45 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I dont know so much that we need a #1 center for Gaborik

I feel that he and Wes Walz are very complimentary players- Wes makes Gaborik better defensively, and Gaborik brings out the offensive skill in Wes

besides, Walz is about the only one who can keep up with Gaborik

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
I dont know so much that we need a #1 center for Gaborik

I feel that he and Wes Walz are very complimentary players- Wes makes Gaborik better defensively, and Gaborik brings out the offensive skill in Wes

besides, Walz is about the only one who can keep up with Gaborik
I've wished for years that Lemaire would just stick those two together for a month and let Walz show what he could do. I will maintain to the day I die that Walz has a lot more offensive ability than people give him credit for. Unfortunately, I've long ago given up any hope that Lemaire will ever use him for anything but a checking role, so I've resigned myself to just hoping Risebrough goes out and gets a playmaker this summer. It's a pity that Wes only has a couple more years left in his career, and we'll never really know what he could have done in an offensive role.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 02:33 AM
sushinsky4tsar

excellent point on Walz. I remember those two were absolutely electric in the Vancouver series. I was convinced that those two would be joined at the hip in 03/04....only to be disappointed. Walz is prob. cursed to roam the Earth as a checking line center for the rest of his days, only to have JL sporadically tease us.

Old
04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
The Big E

While Savard definitely puts up some serious numbers and is stud face-off man, there are questions about his work ethic. Apparently, he's not much into working hard in practice or being called on the carpet for not working hard enough. If this is true, he definitely won't fit with Lemaire.

There are other centers available. Weight is over the hill and too expensive for how much he produces. I'll have a look over the possibilities a little later and throw out some suggestions.

Maybe somebody will beat me to it ... ?

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Any of these names do anything for anyone?

Jason Arnott....... (expensive)
Marty Reasoner.....(unproven as a top line talent)
Jason Allison ........(old and expensive)
Viktor Kozlov ........(unproven, not a 1st liner)
Steve Rucchin ......(aging, not a 1st liner)
Lasse Pirjeta ........(unproven)
Serge Aubin .........(unproven, not a 1st liner)
Matt Cullen ..........(not a 1st liner)
Mike Ricci ............(too old, not a first liner)
Andrew Cassels ....(too old)
Jeff Halpern .........(not a 1st liner)
David Vyborny......(might be more of a winger, cbj must have money)
Jan Hrdina............(not a first liner)
Greg Johnson........(not a 1st liner)
Petr Cajanek.........(can't play C for lemaire)
Stephane Yelle......(checking line)
Joe Sakic.............(dream on)
Michael Peca........(not the answer)
Jeremy Roenick.....( )
Boyd Devereaux....(not a 1st liner)
Oleg Kvasha.........(not a 1st liner)

If the UFA list is right, that's about all there is. I don't know about you guys but I don't see anything that's too compelling. Maybe Reasoner. Maybe Vyborny. Otherwise you're paying big money to Arnott, Weight, or Savard. I think we would be better served making the big splash on D.

I actually think the best plan has already been brought up. See how much damage Walz can do on a scoring line paired with Gaborik. See how Koivu does w/ that role while you're at it. Bring in a proven checking line center to relieve Walz (Yelle).

Or we can package our draft picks to get a relatively young, speedy center, defensively responsible, who can distribute the puck.

Or we can address it in the draft. But I don't believe Backstrom, Mueller, Staal, Little or anyone else for that matter is ready to step in right away?

I guess you could always move Rolston or White up to. I like Rolston and Gaborik on seperate lines (I mean "seperate" MN Wild lines of course).

Last edited by sushinsky4tsar: 04-18-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
crosby_87

The only one on the list I can see playing with Gaborik and keeping up is Vyborny.

crosby_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2006, 07:53 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
I've wished for years that Lemaire would just stick those two together for a month and let Walz show what he could do. I will maintain to the day I die that Walz has a lot more offensive ability than people give him credit for. Unfortunately, I've long ago given up any hope that Lemaire will ever use him for anything but a checking role, so I've resigned myself to just hoping Risebrough goes out and gets a playmaker this summer. It's a pity that Wes only has a couple more years left in his career, and we'll never really know what he could have done in an offensive role.

He was on the PP at the end of the year

I think his last season in the Dub he did have something like 140 points, so he has skill.

I would be happy to land Jeff Halpern here, not so much as a scorer, but more as a veteran leadership sort of deal.

and he can have #11

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote