HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 9-14

Old
07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm curious as to how Galiev suddenly got pimped as a big club option. It seemed to be mentioned here briefly, then Whyno "got a hunch" (while well-couching in case he doesn't make it so Whyno can have it both ways) and then the other beats picked it up.

I think Galiev's going to spend next season bouncing between Reading and Hershey - and to no discredit to him. juniors to pros is the big jump. I'm long-term optimistic on the guy, but thinking of him on the big club (not matter how much CYA is involved) is very optimistic.

Love to be wrong, but...
Not a chance he ends up in the ECHL. His playoff stat line in his junior career, 34 goals 46 assists and 80 points in 57 games. He has all the skill in the world and seems to have the work ethic by showing up to camp early and everything.

I'll bet he plays more games in the NHL this season then the ECHL.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
Didn't Galiev have a really good pre training camp camp last year or something too?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Dude, seriously. He had a good development camp - love to hear someone say he had a good training camp. Really, that's the reach?

The optimism over prospects is understandable, if naive. Galiev needs serious pro seasoning from what I hear - haven't seem much of his play other than (occasional tiny streams and a game or four on NHL tv).

Last edited by Marshall: 07-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I did think Galiev looked more physically advanced than a lot of guys at camp. Not the same lanky kid I've seen before (though, admittedly the last time I saw him in person was two summers ago).

I don't think it'll hurt his development to let him sink or swim in Hershey.
Read on twitter earlier today(Can't find the tweet now) that Galiev has put on 18 pounds since his draft year 2 seasons ago.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

He looked a heck of a lot quicker and stronger this post season over last. Granted I get limited viewings of those small samples. But I was impressed.

Big club "option".... Maybe a call-up after a demonstrated successful pro run in Hershey. Sent to the E... I doubt it.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It's a case of projected need shoehorning the perceived top option at camp into a role because it makes for easy copy. He needs to learn the sort of consistency required at the pro level but he has the raw ability to cut it in Hershey on their second or third line. We'll see how he translates to that level and evolves. Their last Russian forward developed in the Q didn't fare too well in Hershey but he didn't quite have Galiev's size or speed. Galiev has quite a bit to learn but he should be better able to catch on down there (assuming his head is straight).

One thing in his favor at the moment as far as recalls go is so few Hershey forwards under NHL contract: just Potulny, Stoa, Carman and Mitchell otherwise. Maybe add Hamill as well and they could just sign one of the vets on AHL deals ala Helmer but it gives him a slight advantage depending on player type needed provided he's coming along well.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:26 PM
amjay13

He's a year away yet but is going to be a good one. I think 20-25 goals in Hershey this year would be a very good next step.

amjay13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:42 PM
foundhockey
Pollyanna Sunshine

Thanks for the write ups! Much appreciated.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:13 PM
dccap24

Im a long long time lurker, but plan on trying to be a regular contributor now...

Went out to Kettler today and saw the scrimmage. Liked what Forsberg did. Created a few scoring chances and you can see a lot of natural skill. He's going to be a player, you can tell he has a lot of skill and can really shoot the puck. I was not very impressed with Tom Wilson. Not going to write him off obviously, but he's got a long way to go. He moves in a straight line ok once he gets going but is not a great skater and really needs to work on his puck skills. He had trouble catching passes did not display much offensive ability. Again, he's young and a project power forward, but I really hope no one is hoping for much from him for a few years.

dccap24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I'm thinking of heading down on the final day. (That's actually the only day I can, and the first time I'll have been to a Dev camp)

Few Questions... Is it just a walk in like a regular Ice Rink? Do most people usually wear Caps apparel or what? Thanks for the answers!

And of course, thanks to those supplying updates!

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:25 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I did think Galiev looked more physically advanced than a lot of guys at camp. Not the same lanky kid I've seen before (though, admittedly the last time I saw him in person was two summers ago).

I don't think it'll hurt his development to let him sink or swim in Hershey.
To Marshall, page hits

Like Langway, I only think he gets recalled based on performance and if there isn't another option and at the moment there aren't a lot of options, but still he's not the only one, depending on how things play out. To Langway specifically, the vet that falls in the possible to get a mid-year contract if needed is Taffe based on his comment (and I believe him about having the option for a lower AHL salary on an NHL 2-way or signing as he did an AHL only contract,) but we are still a long way off from the season and what the rosters will be.

As to Galiev, I expect him to play in the AHL next season. I think the ECHL team being located in Reading increases the chances that if he struggles at some point that he will be sent down for some games, but for now, based on his development to date, I assume he plays the season in the AHL and gets a call-up only IF warranted based on his AHL play. As others have noted, as many do from 18yo to 20 yo, he has filled out a bit from draft year to last year and more so this year.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-11-2012 at 06:32 AM.
sk84fun_dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:29 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I'm thinking of heading down on the final day. (That's actually the only day I can, and the first time I'll have been to a Dev camp)

Few Questions... Is it just a walk in like a regular Ice Rink? Do most people usually wear Caps apparel or what? Thanks for the answers!

People wear Caps stuff if that's your thing, not a requirement
Yes, it's a typical 2-sheet ice rink with the snack bar and desk/skate rental between the 2 rinks. If you come up the elevators from a different level of the garage or from the mall, you walk past the one rink and through the middle area to get to the Caps rink.

Just a heads up for everyone, based on past years, it will be busy on Saturday.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:39 AM
sk84fun_dc

As noted the other day, see Japers Rink clips for links to photos taken by some very good sports photographers (incl. bloggers with media credentials.)

If that's not enough, here are some amateur pics, from behind the horribly scratched/marked up glass, so not like the pics mentioned above, but a few decent ones in the mix : Day 1 drills and scrimmage and the Day 2 scrimmage.

OT: With all the caveats about September 15 /CBA expiration, the Caps Flyers rookie game and rotation continues in September.

Flyers announced it will be on 9/20, Caps hosting. <a href="http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637579&navid=DL|PHI|home" rel="nofollow" target="new">link</a>

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-11-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 07:22 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I think Galiev was pimped out of a perceived desperation by George for a scoring winger. Semin on the outs. Kuz didn't come over. George probably wanted Parise but wouldn't bite on cost nor term. We moved Eakin, and got a passing center for.... Browuer?

We have been told by George that MJ will be at wing, and MP will be in the top 6 - gotta be wing IMO. Many here are projecting Laich moving back to wing - after finally moving him to C. That is 3C's at wing. Add in Brouwer, that is our scoring winger cast behind Ovi. Suddenly, Galiev isn't that bad an option. Add in Ribeiro is going to be dishing to someone, and the theory's abound. A hat trick in preseason may get him here for game 1. The picture of Ovi hanging with Galiev didn't hurt. I don't expect it to last, but again, we are thin as can be at natural scoring wing. Enter Stan Galiev. I have a feeling it won't take long to get a recall.

Its early in free agency though. Lets see if the perception by fans that we need a winger is also seen by George. He will be watching Stan closely today, I am fairly sure.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-11-2012 at 07:31 AM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Dude, seriously. He had a good development camp - love to hear someone say he had a good training camp. Really, that's the reach?

The optimism over prospects is understandable, if naive. Galiev needs serious pro seasoning from what I hear - haven't seem much of his play other than (occasional tiny streams and a game or four on NHL tv).
Galiev made it past the first round of cuts at training camp last year, and played in the pre-season game in Baltimore. With guys like Perreault and Bourque on a mission during training camp and the pre-season last year, there was clearly no way that Galiev was going to make the team but he certainly didn't disappoint at any of the camps (dev, rookie, or training) last year.

IMO, he showed a lot more offensively than Couturier or Schenn during the rookie game too.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Galiev seems to be coming along nicely, but not ready for the NHL yet. They still need a skilled winger. That guy isn't in-house right now. A full season in Hershey would no doubt be beneficial to him.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:41 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Galiev seems to be coming along nicely, but not ready for the NHL yet. They still need a skilled winger. That guy isn't in-house right now. A full season in Hershey would no doubt be beneficial to him.
Right, they need a skilled winger, and most, if not all, of us hope that winger is brought in from outside the organization before training camp starts in September (if it starts on time.)

Old
07-11-2012, 07:41 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:

Metro or pony up a $1+ to park in the garage. Park on a lower level if you go late this Saturday, otherwise, always take the corkscrew express ramp up to the highest level to park. No hassle entry. If you go early enough, definitely drive up to the top and check it out.

Many fans will be wearing Caps garb. It probably won't be cold on Saturday, but if you go during the week, you may be wishing you brought a caps sweater. For warmth.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:45 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Honest to god...I think this is those stupid reporters coming on here...reading a few posts...and firing up the mac books to create something that isn't there.

I mentioned it a few days ago...that maybe Galiev could earn a shot on that line since the gaping hold is going to be so large...but I really didnt buy my own argument. Now there are articles on it. Really?

I guess that 2nd line RW hole is so large...throw any stone into it and see if it makes a sound.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Thanks for the responses Sk8 and RH.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Honest to god...I think this is those stupid reporters coming on here...reading a few posts...and firing up the mac books to create something that isn't there.

I mentioned it a few days ago...that maybe Galiev could earn a shot on that line since the gaping hold is going to be so large...but I really didnt buy my own argument. Now there are articles on it. Really?
Fact is that among the players in attendance this week, he's a name like the two new first round picks and Iafrate among the invites, that will generate page hits. Also, there are only 3 players in camp under Caps contract: Galiev, Schilling and Anderson. They are going to be written about by the beat writers and bloggers in attendance. As to the random speculation to generate discussion and page hits, nothing new. What year was it when TEB locked in a dman for the Caps roster before or right at the start of camp, was it Boumedienne?

addn: also Syner, Almeida and Civitarese have contracts with Hershey for this season.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 07-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 07:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses Sk8 and RH.
No problem. If you mill around after the game, like go down to the food court, you will run into close to all the prospects exiting the locker room, walking around the rinks, food court, parking lots etc. If you want to ask any questions you will be able to. I talked to Kouger while he was sitting eating pizza outside the skate rental, and later on talked with Alzner. Olaf will be there, George Oates, probably Koken Locker JoeB all the boys.

If you see Ribeiro on Saturday, ask him who does he think he will be dishing to - I bet he says Ovi.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:56 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I miss journalism.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The standard is pretty craptacular in the market at the moment. Not enough Tarik. Many feel the need to fill air on social media as well. So you get beat writer speculation.

As Langway noted, it's probably a byproduct of need, and also the fact that the development camp is populated by a bunch of guys who are either relatively mature but with clear ceilings; or talented but very raw. That's not an elite group of NHL-ready prospects. A guy like Galiev stands out. He may be among the more ready guys, but that doesn't make him actually ready. It just makes him better than the rest at this time.

If anyone in-house is getting a scoring-line slot, it's probably Matti Purrutu.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post

I guess that 2nd line RW hole is so large...throw any stone into it and see if it makes a sound.
Honestly, man, I think that's exactly what happened. The beat reporters do read HF, and specifically this board. I think you're spot-on.

Add - back on topic, I hope to be at the Friday scrimmage. Will try and write up some observations, if I get a chance.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote