Brenden Morrow Available for Trade/NYR, SJ, LA, and STL Interested

Old
07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Everything about those quotes was contentious. I might be imagining things but it fels like there's some bad feelings going on between the two camps, and that their last talk was attempts to make peace. But Morrow's quotes about "anything can change suddenly" sure doesn't sound like someone who was reassured of their worth to the organization.
May seem like semantics but the actual quote was:

Quote:
"I feel good where we are right now, but I also know things change," Morrow said.
"But I also know things change" is a bit different than "anything can suddenly change." In any case I agree with ginblossoms, he seems to have a pretty realistic understanding of the situation.

He also confirmed what I said last season when there was a lot of complaining about him having the NTC and him possibly invoking that to patently deny being traded. As expected he said he wouldn't stand in the way. Obviously, that doesn't mean he would necessarily agree to go just anywhere but realistically the only teams that would be potential suitors are teams he would likely waive for. I don't see the Toronto's and Columbus'es calling.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Blue Note

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
What would the Stars have to give up to land Jaden Schwartz? He is one of the top prospects in the game so I assume it's more than any of us would want to pay...but any thoughts?
As a Blues fan, I don't think there is much of a chance to move Schwartz to Dallas. But I do like your eye for awesome talent!

Blue Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:33 PM
starshockeyfan56

Call me crazy, but I really don't think he should be moved at this point. I realize that I am in the extreme minority here, but I firmly believe that a healthy Morrow is a good player (especially when he is not being relied upon to put up top 6 numbers).

I'd be curious to see what kind of offers are being thrown out there, if any.

starshockeyfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56 View Post
Call me crazy, but I really don't think he should be moved at this point. I realize that I am in the extreme minority here, but I firmly believe that a healthy Morrow is a good player (especially when he is not being relied upon to put up top 6 numbers).

I'd be curious to see what kind of offers are being thrown out there, if any.
I really don't think moving Morrow would be anything more than continuing the culture change that they are attempting

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

It comes down to culture change, getting anything of value for the future vs belief in his health and production in the lineup.

If you think Morrow is washed up you trade him for whatever you get, even if it's just a pick or a B prospect. If you're adamant about culture change and think he's an impediment to the younger players or bad for the locker room you do the same. Pennies on the dollar is better than letting him cause problems, especially if his foot speed is still non-existent and he's continues to be a penalty or more a game guy.

If you think he's got the potential to bounce back and he's a viable fill in for injuries then you keep him. I don't think he's on the block come Feb. unless Dallas is obviously out and the way the Pacific is shaping up they may not be.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:47 PM
catters078

IM also in the keep morrow camp unless we get offered a premium prospct or pick.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Phil Connors

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
IM also in the keep morrow camp unless we get offered a premium prospct or pick.
Count me in also. I don't mind him on the third line, with occasional games on the 2nd if/when injuries happen to our top 6. It may be a risk to keep him given injury problems but tbh I'm willing to give him a chance.

Phil Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:07 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I go back and forth. I was all for getting rid of him but having a (potentially) healthy Morrow on the 3rd line means we could possibly be pretty stacked as far as forwards go. That depth is hard to pass up, even if it's just for a year.

On the other hand I can understand just wanting to revamp the entire leadership structure and trading him for whatever you can get and letting a couple prospects fight for that 3rd line slot.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:18 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
He's got to go. Ribeiro and Ott were accessories to the crime. Morrow pulled the trigger. I think the distance from the season is making some of you more forgiving than he deserves.

Why would you even want Morrow on your 3rd line? He's slow, he loses puck battles, he takes offensive zone penalties, he doesn't kill penalties ... in other words everything a good 3rd liner isn't.

He has no known chemistry with anyone who is going to be playing in the bottom 6. A large chunk of his utility was always predicated on Ribeiro's presence. What made him a valuable part of the team was that he was a guy who could put the puck in the net and bring some grit to the top 6. That's out the window.

Great, he's not in pain now. It's been 3 months since he's played a hockey game. Let's wait til the first hit he takes. Let's wait til the first reversal he throws.

There's no time for nostalgia, we're moving forward. Morrow is not part of that.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:40 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
He's got to go. Ribeiro and Ott were accessories to the crime. Morrow pulled the trigger. I think the distance from the season is making some of you more forgiving than he deserves.

Why would you even want Morrow on your 3rd line? He's slow, he loses puck battles, he takes offensive zone penalties, he doesn't kill penalties ... in other words everything a good 3rd liner isn't.

He has no known chemistry with anyone who is going to be playing in the bottom 6. A large chunk of his utility was always predicated on Ribeiro's presence. What made him a valuable part of the team was that he was a guy who could put the puck in the net and bring some grit to the top 6. That's out the window.

Great, he's not in pain now. It's been 3 months since he's played a hockey game. Let's wait til the first hit he takes. Let's wait til the first reversal he throws.

There's no time for nostalgia, we're moving forward. Morrow is not part of that.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd assume the reason nothing has been done about it yet is there are still a few belles at the ball. The Doan and Semin dominoes will need to fall before Morrow would be traded. Then there's the question of which teams are interested in Bobby Ryan and Nash. Not saying Morrow is close to those guys in talent or production but a team interested in "help at wing" may be inclined to give Morrow a go, especially given the significantly lower price tag.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:

Nailed it. He's not a third line player. People are thinking "grit" and think he's perfect on a checking line, but the rest of his game says otherwise.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Two years ago the dude scored 33 goals and last year he had an injury riddled season. I think you are exaggerating.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Two years ago the dude scored 33 goals and last year he had an injury riddled season. I think you are exaggerating.
He's not going to be getting the minutes he got two years ago. He's not going to be playing with the line mates he did either. His footspeed was never great and now in a checking role it's a serious impediment. He hasn't been the king of winning puck battles along the boards for over a year and supposedly healthy doesn't actually mean healthy when he starts getting banged around or throws hits himself. Without contact he probably is feeling better but that doesn't mean when the season starts he stays that way.

If you're building towards the future moving Morrow to pick up a piece or two for that makes sense. Whitney and Jagr bring way more to the offensive table than he ever used to and let's not underestimate just how much of the culture problems lie at his feet. Morrow has shown zip leadership since he clocked Setoguchi in the 2008 WCF. It's well past time to move on and there's no guarantee he's worth anything later if his issues reoccur.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He's not going to be getting the minutes he got two years ago. He's not going to be playing with the line mates he did either. His footspeed was never great and now in a checking role it's a serious impediment. He hasn't been the king of winning puck battles along the boards for over a year and supposedly healthy doesn't actually mean healthy when he starts getting banged around or throws hits himself. Without contact he probably is feeling better but that doesn't mean when the season starts he stays that way.

If you're building towards the future moving Morrow to pick up a piece or two for that makes sense. Whitney and Jagr bring way more to the offensive table than he ever used to and let's not underestimate just how much of the culture problems lie at his feet. Morrow has shown zip leadership since he clocked Setoguchi in the 2008 WCF. It's well past time to move on and there's no guarantee he's worth anything later if his issues reoccur.
Michalek, and that too in the WCSF.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:05 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Right. Well, it's very possible his health never returns. But if it does, he's not as bad as you say.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
4th line ES minutes with 2nd unit PP time. Nystrom-Fiddler-Morrow. That's all you have to do, and then find a 3rd line winger or let the kids do the checking line duty... Fraser-Eakin-Vincour.... No one is comfortable with that, but it's not gonna be terrible.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Right. Well, it's very possible his health never returns. But if it does, he's not as bad as you say.
I'm saying he's not best for a checking role. That doesn't play to his strengths nor is it able to hide his weaknesses.

I'll ask again does anyone really want to see Morrow attempting to check Pat Kane as he blazes down the wing? I know how about Eberle, Hall or Yakupov in Edmonton, Parise in Minnesota, Corry Perry, Carter or Williams in LA...

His footspeed in a checking or transition role against the best in the West is a disaster waiting to happen. His defense itself is probably adequate but the rest of his game lends itself to taking hooking, holding, or interference penalties or just being beat on a regular basis. It was why he got pushed down to the 4th line last year because he couldn't perform in a 3rd line capacity. He's been relegated out of top six minutes by better players and his skillset does not lend to being an average or above average checker then his value to the team is greatly diminished, which means they should trade him for whatever they can get.

This is a better Stars team than the last three season's versions but I still picture them having problems defending and keeping the puck out of their own net at times. I see Morrow as part of that problem, not a solution to it. Do you disagree Frugal?

Old
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

To me it depends on how the checking line plays. He *was* on lines that were great at containment. He would have to be in that role again.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Phil Connors

Well apparently Roy had shoulder surgery and is out til November. Can anybody(Whitney) else can play center and push Morrow to the top 6?

Phil Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Faska plays 9 games which should bridge the gap for most of October then they can muddle through till Roy is healthy. At least that seems the most likely option because I don't think Whitney has ever played center, Chaisson isn't defensively ready for that role and hasn't played center despite being able to win draws, Eakin may slide up and get that opportunity but wow that's terrible for Dallas.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:57 PM
bug

I think Faksa might play the first 9, which is all of October ... then maybe Glennie/Wandell split duties if Faksa goes back to juniors which is most likely .... but wow what a shocker!

bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Jere26

Well, there is obviously only one solution to this. In order to continue the 'culture change' in the locker room and getting older players like Whitney & Jagr, we HAVE TO reinstall the one and only Mike Modano...

The season starts mid-October, so Roy might miss about 10games if everything goes as planned, excluding the time he needs to get to 100%. Not sure who of our wingers could take that center spot. Maybe more responsibility for Eakin, Fiddler, Wandell...Doubt they'll throw Faksa this early into the cold water, not Dallas-like. But we'll see. Don't see a huge problem here.

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

I forgot about Glennie but this is his one opportunity to shine if he truly wants to be an offensive force and play in the NHL here is his opportunity to get that chance. I imagine he and Eakin are going to battle it out with Faska as the darkhorse though there's no way they keep Faska up all year so...

Old
07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
4th line ES minutes with 2nd unit PP time. Nystrom-Fiddler-Morrow. That's all you have to do, and then find a 3rd line winger or let the kids do the checking line duty... Fraser-Eakin-Vincour.... No one is comfortable with that, but it's not gonna be terrible.
The problem with that is you're not going to rebuild his value that way. It's going to hold at the same level or get worse.

You can't have your Captain on your 4th line either, it just doesn't work. Washington eventually had to just dump Chris Clark for example.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
You can't have your Captain on your 4th line either, it just doesn't work.
Of course, a 4th liner can be the captain.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote