HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part III - The Brenden Morrow Saga

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 12:47 AM
MAK19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I think people wanting to trade Zibanejad for Brenden Morrow are just as crazy as people who think Nick Foligno is better than Brenden Morrow.
Based on what exactly? How is Morrow better?

Helping his team put pucks in the net? Nope. Physical play? Non. Defensive play? Nej. Playing centre? Nein.

Seriously, based on what? In what way is Morrow better?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:03 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Well we can gauge it off the Ribiero trade which was for Eakin and a 2nd. Is he worth more or less? I'd guess less
So a guy like Hoffman or O'Brien and a second could get it done.

07-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:
"We had a good talk the other day, and I told him I very much believe there’s a place for him on this team," Nieuwendyk told the newspaper. "I told him I fully expect him to be out there on the power play in front of the net where he’s always been."
no more reDQless talking about overpaying for a 33 year old.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Sens Mile

God I'd love to move Butler and Condra to get some draft picks (only have 5 for next year) and grab Dominic Moore off of the FA market

Old
07-11-2012, 06:12 AM
n0rthstar

I know its been said, but id also like to add that Zib for Morrow has got to be the worst armchair GM'ing ive seen on the Sens board for awhile.

It would be insanity to make that move.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Based on what exactly? How is Morrow better?

Helping his team put pucks in the net? Nope. Physical play? Non. Defensive play? Nej. Playing centre? Nein.

Seriously, based on what? In what way is Morrow better?
Can you stop being a homer for 10 seconds? Foligno is not as good as Morrow period. Jesus.

Morrow's career average points (including all his injury riddled seasons) are higher than Foligno's career BEST (52 to 47), his career GPG is .294 to Foligno's career BEST of .200 (so better at helping his team with points, and putting the puck in the net.) He's largely regarded as a very physical, smart defensive player. He doesn't play centre, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? Oh, he also doesn't take constant idiotic penalties and make a bad name for himself causing his team to lose a pivotal playoff game and get bounced from the playoffs soon after. He's also been important in winning Gold medals for the Canadian national team.

Again, Ottawa fans seem to underrate anyone not playing for Ottawa and overrate anyone that did or does play here. Zibanejad for Morrow straight up would be great for Ottawa if Morrow could stay healthy.

Last edited by Cujomi: 07-11-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Zibanejad for 1 year or Morrow is a VERY steep price.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:15 AM
sg58

The only advantage Zibanejad would have over Morrow is that he's cheaper and tied up for a longer period of time.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Zibanejad has not used up a year of his ELC. So he still has 3 years on his first contract.

If we traded Morrow for Zibby, there is no guarentee that he would resign here after the year is over. There is a lot of good hockey left in him.

What if he had a bad season and we traded a 6th overall for 40 games played?

I am all for trading a prospect for Morrow. But I wouldn't trade Zibby for one year of Nash, Ryan or Kane so no thank you for 1 year of Morrow

Old
07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Well no, I wouldn't trade Zibanejad for one year of anyone really. However if he agreed to sign then trade or something that I would do in a heartbeat. He has scored 30 before and I believe if he played with Spezza he'd bring energy, physicality and great defence on top of production.

While I'd prefer Ryan or Doan, Morrow is a good option.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

just checked Sens roster.

Smallest D we have is Karlsson at 6 foot.
Smallest player we have is Alfy at 5'11.

We are getting bigger.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:33 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
just checked Sens roster.

Smallest D we have is Karlsson at 6 foot.
Smallest player we have is Alfy at 5'11.

We are getting bigger.
This team has always been big.

It's not like Kuba, Carkner, Konopka or Foligno were small.

Murray likes big bodies.

(To be clear - I like Zibanejad for Morrow if Morrow re-signs as part of the trade. Obviously not worth it for a year. I'm just not high on Zibby, and I'd rather improve the team immediately, which is what Morrow would do. We need another solid D-man more than a winger though.)

Old
07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...NOXp1YlE#gid=0

Number 1 in av Height
Number 3 in av Weight

Last Year

Old
07-11-2012, 09:45 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
I know its been said, but id also like to add that Zib for Morrow has got to be the worst armchair GM'ing ive seen on the Sens board for awhile.

Seconded.

I can see Zibanejad moved for a goal-scoring stud signed for 3 more years like Bobby Ryan, but not for Brenden Morrow. That's insane.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
The only advantage Zibanejad would have over Morrow is that he's cheaper and tied up for a longer period of time.
Zibanejad is a high-end prospect, he has higher upside than Morrow. The trade would pay off for Ottawa this year, and is only interesting if we're in a win-it-for-Alfie mode. I don't think Morrow alone makes us a contender. Keep Zibanejad, hope he pans out.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
jordan7hm

Anyone know what the deal was with Sergei Samsonov last year?

Seems strange that he didn't sign anywhere, even the KHL. Just retire out of the blue at 33 after putting up a 40 pt season? Odd.

(I don't want him at all, just curious.)

Old
07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
Zibby while still pretty raw, has shown signs of being a clutch player and game breaker and seems to have the size,skating and skills to be a very good player.

People seem to be ready to toss him overboard becuase of a disappointng development year while he is still a very young player and on a poor team in Sweden.
He was fun to watch here for awhile until he seemed to start overthinking everything.

I dont understand trading him before we even get a chance to see what he might turn into for the Sens.If he works within the Sens system for a year or two we may have something really special.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Is Zibby the new Puempel aka default trade chip now with everyone?

And no way I'd trade him for Morrow at his age, 24 year old Morrow sure, now, not so much.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Zibby while still pretty raw, has shown signs of being a clutch player and game breaker and seems to have the size,skating and skills to be a very good player.

People seem to be ready to toss him overboard becuase of a disappointng development year while he is still a very young player and on a poor team in Sweden.
He was fun to watch here for awhile until he seemed to start overthinking everything.

I dont understand trading him before we even get a chance to see what he might turn into for the Sens.If he works within the Sens system for a year or two we may have something really special.
I don't think he's shown anything to indicate "game breaking" ability. I think he has pretty crappy hockey sense, from what I've seen. Obviously that consists mostly of WJC and the NHL games.

If he doesn't work out he has no trade value. That's the thing right - if you think he is going to be a stud, you don't move him at all. If you don't, you move him now before he tanks his value.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
no more reDQless talking about overpaying for a 33 year old.
He's also a small powerfoward with an extensive injury history. The year might say '33', but there's a lot more mileage than that on his body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Morrow's career average points (including all his injury riddled seasons) are higher than Foligno's career BEST (52 to 47), his career GPG is .294 to Foligno's career BEST of .200 (so better at helping his team with points, and putting the puck in the net.) He's largely regarded as a very physical, smart defensive player. He doesn't play centre, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? Oh, he also doesn't take constant idiotic penalties and make a bad name for himself causing his team to lose a pivotal playoff game and get bounced from the playoffs soon after. He's also been important in winning Gold medals for the Canadian national team.

Again, Ottawa fans seem to underrate anyone not playing for Ottawa and overrate anyone that did or does play here. Zibanejad for Morrow straight up would be great for Ottawa if Morrow could stay healthy.
He's 9 years older than Foligno and 14 years older than Zibanejad; of course he's had a better career. However, we aren't getting the player who had that career for Dallas... we're getting what's left of his career.

Quote:
Oh, he also doesn't take constant idiotic penalties and make a bad name for himself causing his team to lose a pivotal playoff game and get bounced from the playoffs soon after.

Uh, Foligno took a lot of penalties in one season thus far.

Morrow has taken a lot of penalties for just about every season of his career.

Quote:
Deals like that will be the ruin of this franchise.

Is this team a contender, one piece away from challenging for the Cup? ... Nope, not even close.

Is Brandon Morrow likely to make any more of an impact on this roster than similar old(er), expensive free agents like Kovalev or Gonchar did? ... Nope.

This organization isn't even close to peaking. That'll probably 3-4 years away. This move would make us better when we should be worse and worse when we should be better. It's the kind of move that horribly run teams like the Leafs or Flames make to stay in a hockey purgatory as bubble teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
No, the gigantic advantage that Zibanejad and Foligno have over Morrow is that they're going to be entering the primes of their careers, while Morrow is exiting his prime.

Morrow had three 50+ point seasons in his 12 year career thus far. I doubt very much that he will stay healthy or productive enough to accomplish the feat again and I feel extremely comfortable predicting that Foligno & Zibanejad will crack 50+ points more than Morrow will over the next 5-6 seasons.

Last time I had a 50+ point season, I was ____ years old:
Corson 31
Roberts 34
W. Clark 26
Tocchet 34
Holmstrom 33
Bertuzzi 30
Tkachuk managed 1 seasons over 50+ points after the age of 31yo.
Mellanby managed 1 seasons over 50+ points after the age of 30yo.

... and some of those guys were much more prolific scorers than Morrow.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post

One of the worst proposals I've seen. Dallas would be dancing the jig if we offered that for an old, broken Morrow.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Lenny the Lynx

I think we should offer Dallas - Zibanejad, Lehner, 1st for Morrow and Andrew Raycroft

Morrow was awesome in NHL07 and I like guys that played for team Canada.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
I don't think he's shown anything to indicate "game breaking" ability. I think he has pretty crappy hockey sense, from what I've seen. Obviously that consists mostly of WJC and the NHL games.

If he doesn't work out he has no trade value. That's the thing right - if you think he is going to be a stud, you don't move him at all. If you don't, you move him now before he tanks his value.
You believe that you have accurately assessed the hockey sense of an 18 year old well enough to predict his entire career based on 15 games in unfamiliar environments?

Old
07-11-2012, 10:39 AM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post

Those 2 points doesn't add up for me...

Old
07-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Minister of Offence

What is Connie Moreau's value these days?

Closed Thread