HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp 2012 July 6th-10th

Old
07-10-2012, 03:34 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Everyone had a hard on for Petr Kanko a couple years back too.
wasn't that because he had different colored mohawks in his Junior playoff games?

i swear, some of the simpleton things we latch onto as fans...

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:04 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post

MacDermid can be signed as a free agent like Roach and Jones in the past years.
I wonder if he'll want to. Unlike Roach and Jones, MacDermid missed almost all of his draft year, so heading back to junior and playing a full, healthy year might get him drafted and possibly a higher paycheque.

As well, where are the Kings at for contracts at the moment?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:11 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I wonder if he'll want to. Unlike Roach and Jones, MacDermid missed almost all of his draft year, so heading back to junior and playing a full, healthy year might get him drafted and possibly a higher paycheque.
I'm sorry; I can't expand on this for certain reasons, but I'll just say this is a very astute point.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
losingsand

vey not on the ice for the forward drills.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
vey not on the ice for the forward drills.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:48 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
As well, where are the Kings at for contracts at the moment?
I have them at 43 give or take one or two...

A couple of other things to consider though: The Kings will more than likely add to that 43 number as Pearson, LaDue, Miller, Prohkorkin and Schumacher would be able to sign with the Kings and play in Manchester or Ontario. But if MacDermid was to sign with the Kings he'd have to either make the NHL roster (unlikely) or he'd end up back in Juniors and his contract wouldn't count toward the 50 limit. In the long run, the option that you pointed out is probably what will happen and seems like the best move for him.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Now that I am back home, I'll post YESTERDAY'S 1-on-1-on-1 results. I'll post the overall drill impressions in a separate post, and either make a different post or start a new thread with my overall impressions of the players throughout camp.

Monday, July 9th scoring for the forward drills:
Tanner Pearson - 2 goals
Robbie Czarnik - 2 goals
Nic Dowd - 2 goals
Nick Shore - 2 goals
Andy Andreoff - 2 goals
Tomas Hyka - 1 goal
Barclay Goodrow - 1 goal
Nikolai Prokhorkin - 1 goal
Jordan Weal - 1 goal

Some of the more notable goals:
The prettiest goal was scored by Nick Shore. He had both players fighting him for the puck on one end of the ice. He chip-backhanded the puck away from the group, spun away, and skated alone down the ice. He faked a shot, went backhand, and roofed the puck where it traveled along the back crossbar.

One of Tanner Pearson's goals were similar, except the finish wasn't as pretty. He still was very crafty in the way he drew the other two players to him, chipped the puck away, then fired a wrist shot past the goalie.

Hyka scored on a rebound, fighting the other two guys to chip the puck past the goalie (it was actually one of the few times one of the goalies let in a rebound goal, which is why I remembered it).

Weal scored on a deceptively weak backhand. Just slid it under the goalie.

Prokhorkin's goal was a little cheeky. The whistle blew to indicate a change in players. A new puck was fired into play, and Prokhorkin, upon receiving the puck put into play, just wristed it past the goalie. The other two guys didn't even have a chance to go for the puck.

Those were the standout goals to me.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

From what im reading by you guys, Pearson looks like the real deal. Do any of you think he has a chance at making the Kings this year? Provided he really impresses in camp and preseason obviously

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
From what im reading by you guys, Pearson looks like the real deal. Do any of you think he has a chance at making the Kings this year? Provided he really impresses in camp and preseason obviously
I think any player would have the chance of making the Kings, providing they impress enough.

However, this isn't a knock on Pearson, but I wouldn't expect him to be THAT impressive.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I'd say no, just because our top 3 lines are pretty much set, barring an injury. I doubt we want to have him sitting on the fourth line when he can go to the AHL and get prime minutes.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Here's a recap from yesterday's, day 4's, practice. I did not stay for the afternoon session, so thank you to those who have contributed

It began with the Defense/Goalies drill. There's really nothing more to say about the goalie drills, as they have been doing the same drills every day.

For the defense, there drills were:
1. skate wall to wall and chip the puck to themselves... then skate the other way
2. carry the puck out after a dump in
3. pass the puck out for a break out.
4. skate in circles in the defensive zone with a partner, and pass the puck back and forth to each other.
5. practice walking the blue line with the puck, then shoot on command
6. practice walking the blue line with the puck, then shoot the puck on command... with a twist; if the coach threw his glove on the ice, the players were told to pass the puck to other defensemen standing in the face-off circles. This led to a funny exchange between the coach (I believe it was Mike O'Connell?) and Nic Deslauriers. I'll explain that later.
7. shoot the puck upon reception from the natural side... eventually they switched sides
8. One timers
9. Walk the line with a partner and pass back and forth for one timers

After the drills, Alex Roach, Kurtis MacDermid, and Paul Ladue were given more power skating drills.

I'll begin with the funny exchange between MOC and Deslauriers. Before the drilled started, MOC instructed the players, "Now if I tell you to shoot, I want you to pass the puck if the glove is on the ice, no matter what!" A couple players before Deslauriers executed the drill... MOC threw the glove on the ice, and so the players subsequently passed the puck. Deslauriers comes out with another defenseman, and MOC uses his stick to scoop the glove back to his feet. Finally, MOC yells, "SHOOT!" Deslauriers passes it off to the defenseman at the face-off circle. MOC had a very animated raise of his arms, staring at Deslauriers wide-eyed, as if to say, "What the hell are you doing?" Deslauriers calmly points to the glove, which was on the ice at MOC's feet, and said, "You told us to pass if the glove is on the ice, it's on the ice!" MOC looked down at the glove, his shoulders sank, and he laughed. "You're right, Nic, the glove was on the ice."

Anyway, I'll focus more on the shots, since that's more of a new development. Not much is different from the previous drills. Deslauriers had the best overall shot, as expcected. He gives it velocity, he can shoot it high, shoot it low. I still think he can add more upper body strength; not only to give his shot more power, but he also has to do the Doughty wind up. A surprising player who can hit it really hard is Colin Miller. He couldn't elevate it as much, but he shoots some very hard shots down low. Forbort had the nicest snipe out of the defensemen. He didn't consistently hammer it, but he landed a few hard ones right in the top corners.

Deslauriers and McIvor deafened the audience the most, though. McIvor's first two shots of the day rang off the post. Deslauriers had two shots in a row ring off the crossbar. I think Nick Ebert is still nursing an injury. For half the session he couldn't elevate the puck at all, and there was little velocity. Neither Paul Ladue or Kurtis MacDermid did anything really noticeable. Roach still needs to work a lot on his skating.

The forward drills were almost exclusively dedicated to puck handling. Here were the drills:
1. skate around rink, and sprint at the whistle
2. a series of puck handling drills back and forth down the ice
3. practice skating from center ice to the goal line a slow and exaggerated puck handle. Constantly move the puck laterally from backhand to forehand, about 3 feet each time, with no extra dips or fakes.
4. once they did that enough, they had to maintain the same stick handling rules, but execute a breakaway and shoot it on net as well.
5. Sort of complicated... they had to control the puck from the backhand position from their own goal line to the blue line. Then they had to walk the blue line, using the stickhandling rules from drill 3, carry the puck on the forehand from blue line to blue line, then cut to the middle and shoot.
6. one cone was at the goal line, and another pylon was in the face-off circle; the players would get the puck from the half wall, and either control the puck along the outside of the face-off circle to shoot, or they had to take it down low, control the puck around the cone, and pop back out short side to shoot. I think the general premise of this drill is that there's usually too much traffic within the face-off circles to have a good scoring opportunity, so you have to move into the open areas to have a better shot. I couldn't hear the instruction, so that's just a guess.
7. the 1-on-1-on-1 drill, with the results already mentioned.

After the session, Toffoli, Mersch, Pearson, Shore, Andreoff, and Dowd all participated in some power skating drills. This time, they took turns pushing the net from blue-line to red line, having to push off as hard and fast as possible. After several turns of pushing the nets, they had to pull the nets as hard and fast as they can, skating backwards.

Players who stood out:
Nikolai Prokhorkin - He did not lose a step, and he did not sacrifice any speed whatsoever in any of these drills, when he had to keep control of the puck. He wasn't an absurd or over the top dangler, but when a lot of players keep looking down at the puck, take some stutter steps, or just lose control, it was very impressive to see him excel in every way, in that regard. During the 1-on-1-on-1 drill, he wasn't shy about going to the dirty areas, and played with grit. He really does have all the tools to play a powerforward game.

Tomas Hyka - I was a little befuddled at his goal scored the day before, because he simply didn't look that fast, which concerns me when we're talking about a smaller player. However, he plays with such fearlessness and patience, he constantly creates chances for himself with the way he will not only drive to the net, but also wait until there's an opening to take a shot. He doesn't force it.

Joel Lowry - What stood out most to me for him was his play on the 1-on-1-on-1 drills. There were so many times he would back out of a scrum just before the puck got loose, and he would have a breakaway. Granted, he didn't finish on any of his chances, but Lowry showed an under appreciated understanding of the game.

Nick Shore - Most of his goals today weren't of the flashy variety. However, they were smart, well placed shots. He scored a couple goals in a row wristing the puck under the blocker and over the pad on the goalie. Some more shots looked like they were going five hole before the goalie closed the gap. He never seems to overhandle it, and while he's not flashy, he could definitely be a scorer.

Jordan Weal - I know this is development camp, but I am starting to get a little concerned about Weal. This is his third development camp, and he lost the puck more than anyone else during the stick handling drills. Most of his goals and plays are based on cleverness, which is good, but he was noticeably behind in the performance, compared to others.

Tyler Toffoli - He's playing well in every aspect of the game, and he has the most lethal shot of the prospects, next to Czarnik. He's really trying to improve his all around game, and his attention to details should get him in the NHL sooner rather than later. He had minimal loss of speed when he did the various skating drills, and the velocity and release for this kid is just unreal.

Andy Andreoff - Played with so much determination today. There's not much more to say about him. I wasn't much of a fan of his last year; he looks like a new player to me this year.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
losingsand

TUESDAY MORNING SESSION:
:::::FORWARDS:::::
StickHandling drills back and forth
--Czarnik always the first in his group to the other end.
--Weal fell down once and lost control of the puck twice.
--Schumacher with a pretty good spill as well

Board Retrieval: trapping the puck along the boards and making a pass to the next forward in line
--Prokhorkin jumped against the board and missed the puck and then fell straight to the ice after being off balance. emerson cracked up

StickHandle around some cones skate in the zone and shoot on the goalie
--Andreoff with 3 goals on this drill
--Schumacher with 2
--Mersch / Prokhorkin / Toffoli
--Noticed on a few shots that Merschs release is a little slow and the wind-up is real lumbery, kind of the tim tebow of wrist shots... but at least he's accurate

Stuffed along the boards with a foam pad, break free, do a 360 quick turn around on a cone and come frome the end board and shoot on the goalie
--a nice change to see scoring chances from a different angle than straight on.
--Nic Dowd absolutely owned this drill. Had zero opinion of the guy til this drill, his hands in tight were just insane, He scored 4 times on this drill. Didn't matter from which side he approached the goalie, he scored twice on either side.
--other scorers: Czarnik 2 / goodrow / o'neil / weal / pearson / prohorkin
--Hyka's turning radius speed was by far the best out of the group.

SHOOTOUT ELIMINATION CHALLENGE: a skater shoots on one goalie, then gets a 2nd a chance at the other goalie on the other end. Make a goal on yr round and you move to the next round.

FIRST ROUND SCORERS: Goodrow / Shore / Prokhorkin / Toffoli / Weal / Lowry / Andreoff / Dowd / O'neil who scored on both goalies
SECOND ROUND SCORERS: weal / lowry / andreoff / o'neil
THIRD ROUND SCORERS: weal / lowry / andreoff / o'neil (yes erbody got theirs to go in this round0
LAST MAN STANDING: JORDAN WEAL

--teammate yelling "WAY TO GO WEALERS!" and then stick applause ensued

--the prettiest goals shootout goals went to andreoff who did something different everytime... he definitely got the most "woo's!" from the staff on his goals.

ok battery almost dying here but i'll post more on the D later...

Old
07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Good stuff losingsand, thanks!

Old
07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:
I think the key words there are "might" and "possibly". If you can get the guarantee now, he should take it. Plus why would he come to camp if he didn't intend to sign when offered a contract?

Master Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:57 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
I think the key words there are "might" and "possibly". If you can get the guarantee now, he should take it. Plus why would he come to camp if he didn't intend to sign when offered a contract?
There are reasons he would come to camp without intentions of signing a contract. As to why he would make certain decisions... well, remember these are 18, 19 year-old kids. They don't know the business side of things too well. There are other people who know the business better.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
wasn't that because he had different colored mohawks in his Junior playoff games?

i swear, some of the simpleton things we latch onto as fans...
To be fair, Kanko was a pretty great player in juniors & it was before the mohawk that everyone loved him.

In my opinion, the point of the Kanko story is not that we're simpletons, it's that a prospect's skill level often fails to project forward in ways you can't predict.

Last edited by Stupid Sexy Flanders: 07-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:17 PM
losingsand

TUESDAY AFTERNOON FULL GROUP SESSION

DRILLS:
--skate around
--cross ice pass and a standing wrist shot at the goalie
--3 on 3 full rink
--3 on 3 full rink with 1 player in each zone... each player not allowed to leave their designated zone
--5 on 5, 2 in the defensive zone, 1 in the neutral, 2 in the offensive zone... no skater allowed to leave their designated zone.
--3 on 3 full rink the rest of the way.

WHITE:
Gibson // Gravel Mecdermid Forbort Deslaurier Miller // Schumacher Hyka Mersch Shore Andreoff Dowd

BLACK:
Berube // Mcivor Ebert Roach Ladue // Goodrow Lowry Prokhorkin Czarnik Weal Pearson Toffoli O'Neill

*vey in street clothes limping and watching from the corner.
**this group session had a lot of good quality, good offense good defense, a lot of hard back-checking and forechecking. It was thoroughly entertaining // with the majority of the play being 3 on 3, a lot of players traded positions... in a way it was a nice showcase for everyone to show what they have offensively...It seems as if the coaches instructed the players to not be so "physical" today. Because not even Deslaurier or Andreoff had any hits today.

now with the goal scorers during scrimmages:

--Andreoff had a really nice goal which started him skating backwards in his own zone and dangerously dangling the puck in front of the defender, once he saw the defender go for the puck, he made a quick burst forward and beat just about everyone on D and wristed a beautiful short side top shelf shot. When i saw him make this play, the first thing i said was "wow that was swag". Guy is playing with a lot of confidence right now.

--Hyka had 2 goals, one of the goals being on the individual zone drill which was a tough drill to score in
--Goodrow had a breakaway goal completely victimizing deslaurier, he was the 2nd half on a double team play that cornered ND into a blind backhanded stick handle, goodrow stole the puck and converted on his break away.
--Mersch had the prettiest goal of the day, he walked in on Ebert and it looked like he was just toying w/ the poor kid. Big stickhandles back and forth while Ebert flailed around hopelessly, and then finally beating Berube. Mersch had a very good afternoon with and without the puck. Seems to be a very smart player.
--Miller scored a goal with a slap shot from the wing, he also was very noticeable at breaking up rushes. Good skater with good vision.
--Shore scored on a one timer
--O'neill also had one of the few goals for team black who had a tough time beating Gibson. He scored on him twice.
--Forbort made a great play getting into the zone quickly on a semi break and finishing.

--Deslaurier again had the best day out of all the prospects scoring 4 goals!! All of them beautiful goals, the first was a one timer sliding to his right. 2nd was a put away from a good pass from Andreoff. The 3rd goal had the bench going crazy, he was set up, shot the puck it popped up and he batted it out of mid air right into the net, super reflex play. 4th goal was just a wrist shot flying down the wing. I don't know what else needs to be said, the guy stood out all over the place. Had a couple of those great deceptive moves in his own zone to buy time to make the outlet pass, and he shined offensively having a monster scrimmage. He's the real deal guys! Believe the hype.

--Nic Dowd i thought had a very strong game. He just played with a lot of purpose and power. After his domination in one of the drills today, i am now noticing how good his hands are in very tight situations... in areas with a lot of sticks, skates and chaos, he's able to keep things under control and hold on to the puck.
--Prokhorkins despite not getting any tallies turned out a very promising solid performance as well
--Tanner Pearson (see porky)
--Weal, Czarnik and Toffoli were a little off in today's scrimmage, lots of effort but just not enough creativity and finish in their game today.
--Schumacher had some nice moments stickhandling through traffic and making good touch/finesse passes.

Last edited by losingsand: 07-10-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
To be fair, Kanko was a pretty great player in juniors & it was before the mohawk that everyone loved him.
I don't think Kanko was ever considered to be a great player in juniors, and he stunk when he turned pro.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Man, I'm really psyched about Manchester's prospects next season. We're going to have some pretty good forwards. Pearson, Kozun, Weal, Toffoli, Andreoff, Loktionov... my expectations are pretty high for those guys.

At the same time, Dean needs to go out and get a veteran to get these guys over the hump. He can't just let them try to figure it out on their own. You've seen what a deep run in 2010 did for guys like Trevor Lewis, Slava Voynov, Kyle Clifford, Dwight King and Alec Martinez. It was Voynov's OT goal that sent the Monarchs to the Conference Finals against the Would-be AHL Champion Hershey Bears. By the way, the last three seasons... the Monarchs have been ousted in the AHL playoffs by the eventual Calder Cup Champions.

I'm hoping Dean gets a guy like Jason Williams, who's been around the block and been around his fairshare of winning teams. He'd be both a great locker room presence and a mentor to these young guys but he'd also be a pretty good addition to an AHL team. He put up 42 points in 59 AHL games last season before being called up by Pittsburgh after their rash of injuries. He then went back down and put up 13 points in 12 playoff games. These guys need the experience of a deep playoff run. And a guy like Williams could go a long way in getting there.

But that's maybe for another thread.

Last edited by Zizou: 07-11-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:53 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
Depends on what that guarantee is, IMO. If it's basically league minimum, I can see him taking his chances in the draft.

As well, why wouldn't he come to camp, contract or not? If you had a chance to participate in an NHL teams prospect camp and work with major league professionals (and I believe get your costs covered to attend) wouldn't you go? You can learn so much and show yourself off for an NHL team. Total win for MacDermid, contract or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizou View Post
At the same time, Dean needs to go out and get a veteran to get these guys over the hump. He can't just let them try to figure it out on their own.
Totally agree. One vet forward down there would be great, especially with the number of young players who are expected to come in this season to Manchester.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Manchester has needed a vet forever. Hextall and co aren't into it. They want the kids to learn on their own.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:44 AM
FroFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Manchester has needed a vet forever. Hextall and co aren't into it. They want the kids to learn on their own.
There's also the problem that this "vet" (read: career minor league/bubble guy in the NHL) would be taking a roster spot and ice-time from the very kids you're trying to develop.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Thanks KP and LS for the updates

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Depends on what that guarantee is, IMO. If it's basically league minimum, I can see him taking his chances in the draft.
No facts to back it up, but I believe it would be right around the league minimum (whether he signed now or after he was drafted.) I think the only flexibility on ELC is in performance bonuses and signing bonus and even those are limited. The only advantage to him taking his chances in the draft would be; he doesn't want to play for LA, or hope to be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. If he's a high draft pick he'll have more bargaining power come time to sign his ELC.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:

As well, why wouldn't he come to camp, contract or not? If you had a chance to participate in an NHL teams prospect camp and work with major league professionals (and I believe get your costs covered to attend) wouldn't you go? You can learn so much and show yourself off for an NHL team. Total win for MacDermid, contract or not.
Those are valid points and maybe he also wanted to check out the beach for a few days too. But ultimately when your goal is to play in the NHL and you get a chance to sign a contract with a team, you don't let that get away, especially for guys like him who are not elite talents (ie guaranteed 1st or 2nd round pick).

Unless he decided he just didn't like LA and the organization or if he got an offer from another team, it would be wise for him, or anyone else for that matter, to sign IMO. At least that would be my advice for them.

Master Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote