Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chay Genoway

Old
07-11-2012, 01:54 AM
cutfast

vCash: 500
Chay Genoway

Last year he was raved about after development camp after that he disappears for awhile to play 1 game in the NHL where he picked up an assist... But no he is NO where to be seen in any mentioning of making the team or anything not even as trade bait. Personally I like Genoway better then spurgy. Part of it goes back to I have seen alot more of Genoway. But I think he has a chance at making the team. What are others thoughts about Chay Genoway?

cutfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Houston Aeros.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutfast View Post
Last year he was raved about after development camp after that he disappears for awhile to play 1 game in the NHL where he picked up an assist... But no he is NO where to be seen in any mentioning of making the team or anything not even as trade bait. Personally I like Genoway better then spurgy. Part of it goes back to I have seen alot more of Genoway. But I think he has a chance at making the team. What are others thoughts about Chay Genoway?
I like him as well, and I do think he gets a chance again if there are injuries. I also think he was decent in the 1 game he played in the NHL last year. He will be here for a while, so he will have a chance.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:49 AM
vitogor

AHL or Europe. Just like Maxim Noreau.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
AHL or Europe. Just like Maxim Noreau.
Speaking of Noreau, that was another good trade with the Devils.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:35 AM
cutfast

Why in your eyes does he not make it to the NHL though? why do you say AHL?

Old
07-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
He's too small, plus Spurgeon surpasses him in almost every other category.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:49 AM
cutfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
He's too small, plus Spurgeon surpasses him in almost every other category.
the difference between the 2, is 8 lbs. Same height. I'd venture to say that Genoway could match Spurgeon's numbers from last season if he got to play 70 games and I would also venture to say he would have a better plus minus. Saying Genoway is too small is saying Spurgeon is too small.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
1) No roster spot for him. (Suter, Spurgeon, Gilbert, Scandella, Stoner, Falk and Prosser)

2) He might be top 4 D call up next season though.

I'm sorry but there's no way he starts with the Wild this upcoming season.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:39 AM
vitogor

Quote:
He hasn't impressed me outside of that development camp last year (where he was playing against kids, let's not forget). I remember watching him in a pre-season game, where he was constantly half a second late on every decision, and a lot of those decisions weren't very good to begin with.

Granted, I haven't seen his one regular season game, where people say he looked pretty good, but he just strikes me as a player who has reached his ceiling.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:42 AM
nickschultzfan

The reason Spurgeon has a spot on the Wild is because, in addition to his offensive skills, his gap control, skill placement, body position, and puck-moving skills are really good.

I don't think Genoway is as complete a player as Spurgeon

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Genoway has likely peaked in terms of development. He's 25. He can still improve by adjusting to the competition, but I don't think he's getting any better.

Spurgeon is a better defender, actually a very good defender compared to NHL'ers, and he's still only 22.

I was thinking in the car yesterday, that if he were 6' tall he'd be talked about WAY more.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I've watched Genoway several times, in person, with the Aeros...

He struggles to keep up with the speed of the AHL game. He will always struggle with the speed of the NHL game.

Opinion: It is the same old story with a "prospect" like this... They looked great in college, which is roughly 80% of the speed of the NHL. They do OK in the AHL, which is roughly 90% of the speed of the NHL. They will never amount to much in the NHL, because that remaining 10% requires assets that the prospect in question does not possess.

Arrogant Statement: If Benoit Pouliot had the processing power of my brain, he would be a perennial 50-60 goal, 100 point player. If I had the physical assets of Benoit Pouliot, I'd be making millions in the NHL.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Arrogant Statement: If Benoit Pouliot had the processing power of my brain, he would be a perennial 50-60 goal, 100 point player. If I had the physical assets of Benoit Pouliot, I'd be making millions in the NHL.

This reminds me of when people on here say if only we could put Spurgeon's brain in Falk's body. Ha.

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Genoway is one of my favorite Sioux players ever. I also believe he's a head and shoulders better player than Prosser and depending on the game; Falk and Stoner.

However, at the NHL level he just doesn't have the complete defensive game to be a real factor. They'd really need to shelter him and find a capable partner. While I believe this defense is certainly below par, there just isn't a spot to give to a guy that needs help. Even if he'd immediately be one of the better offensive defensemen the team would ice.

As far as being better than Spurgeon; strongly disagree.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Genoway has likely peaked in terms of development. He's 25. He can still improve by adjusting to the competition, but I don't think he's getting any better.

Spurgeon is a better defender, actually a very good defender compared to NHL'ers, and he's still only 22.

I was thinking in the car yesterday, that if he were 6' tall he'd be talked about WAY more.
If Spurgeon were 6' he'd be without a doubt a top pairing defenseman (albeit with the Islanders because they never would have let him go). Even with his actual size, my only complaint is his complete inability to hold the puck in the zone on the PP.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I wish I could donate my body size to Spurgeon. Put his fitness and brain in there and boom, we'd have 6.01 Spurgeon

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Spurgey and I could flip but he'd be the same size, only fatter.

That's actually why I was rooting for him. I remember going to camp, had no idea who he was, but there was someone listed 5'8 and 175 which were my stats at the time.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
the difference between the 2, is 8 lbs. Same height. I'd venture to say that Genoway could match Spurgeon's numbers from last season if he got to play 70 games and I would also venture to say he would have a better plus minus. Saying Genoway is too small is saying Spurgeon is too small.
They're similar in size (Spurgeon is listed at 5'9", Genoway at 5'8") but Spurgeon does everything much better - plus he's 3 years younger.

Genoway has excellent offensive instincts, but from what I saw in his call-up for the Wild, his offensive chances often came from neglecting his defensive duties. That's not going to fly in the NHL.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
If Spurgeon were 6' he'd be without a doubt a top pairing defenseman (albeit with the Islanders because they never would have let him go). Even with his actual size, my only complaint is his complete inability to hold the puck in the zone on the PP.
Oh yeah... Forgot about that. He does seem to have trouble with keeping the zone, eh?

Old
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Oh yeah... Forgot about that. He does seem to have trouble with keeping the zone, eh?
Might have something to do with the fact that he uses too long of a stick, meaning he doesn't have enough force on the blade to hold the puck in. Just speculating.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
ECHL. But seriously. Just not the Wild.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

He'd be awesome in Europe I think. Honestly. Move him to FEL or Elitserien or NLA or even KHL and he'll be a league all-star. His style of play and size just isn't really suited for NA rink.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
cutfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Genoway is one of my favorite Sioux players ever. I also believe he's a head and shoulders better player than Prosser and depending on the game; Falk and Stoner.

However, at the NHL level he just doesn't have the complete defensive game to be a real factor. They'd really need to shelter him and find a capable partner. While I believe this defense is certainly below par, there just isn't a spot to give to a guy that needs help. Even if he'd immediately be one of the better offensive defensemen the team would ice.

As far as being better than Spurgeon; strongly disagree.
I picked Spurgeon not fully because I think Genoway is better but rather just already more mature and they are comparable styles and body size.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:12 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
They're similar in size (Spurgeon is listed at 5'9", Genoway at 5'8") but Spurgeon does everything much better - plus he's 3 years younger.

Genoway has excellent offensive instincts, but from what I saw in his call-up for the Wild, his offensive chances often came from neglecting his defensive duties. That's not going to fly in the NHL.
If Genoway is 5'8", I'm pushing 6 feet. I do agree with the analysis.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote