HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Signings: Signings and your proposals.

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
If "average" is considered 'middle of the pack', and his GAA last year ranked him 13th among goalies who played more than 20 games, then he's within 2 spots of being the most 'average' that you could possibly be - smack dab in the middle.

In terms of credibility, I think this speaks for itself.
forty eight goalies played twenty or more games last year.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Deebo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
I don't think he was a UFA. But its a moot point because his best FA signing is getzlaf in 12 months
He certainly was signed as a UFA.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:14 AM
ChuckWoods

So just something I noticed this morning;

With Nik Hagman going over to the KHL, that leaves only Matt Stajan on the Calgary roster as part of the deal that brought us Dion Phaneuf.

Ian White was dealt out of Calgary fairly quick to the Carolina Hurricanes along with Brett Sutter for Anton Babchuk and Tom Kostopolous.

Both Jamal Mayers and Nik Hagman walk via Free Agency, if I can remember correctly.

So at this point if my memory serves me correctly, the trade breaks down like this;

To TOR:
Dion Phaneuf
Carter Ashton

To CGY:
Matt Stajan
Anton Babchuk

Poor asset managment, the Leafs fans would be rioting!

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 07-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 09:14 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounsy View Post
forty eight goalies played twenty or more games last year.
Ya, so I guess Vancouver had an elite backup goalie behind cory than. I don't care much about Lu's season stats, they are above average, but he has a lot of shut outs, which would be good except his avg. Doesn't reflect it, ergo he is very hot and cold. Which is indicative of mental weakness, that's why its to be expected that his playoff play is sub par, and it very much is. that's what it comes down to, if you can't perform in the playoffs who cares if your decent through the season. An already mentally weak goalie would get destroyed in Toronto.. fast. And at 30+ its doubtful he will change.

Last edited by delirium trigger: 07-11-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

With Nik Hagman going over to the KHL, that leaves only Matt Stajan on the Calgary roster as part of the deal that brought us Dion Phaneuf.

Ian White was dealt out of Calgary fairly quick to the Carolina Hurricanes along with Brett Sutter for Anton Babchuk and Tom Kostopolous.

Both Jamal Mayers and Nik Hagman walk via Free Agency, if I can remember correctly.

So at this point if my memory serves me correctly, the trade breaks down like this;

To TOR:
Dion Phaneuf
Carter Ashton

To CGY:
Matt Stajan
Anton Babchuk

They could complain about cap space....?

Old
07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Ya, so I guess Vancouver had an elite backup goalie than. I don't care much about Lu's season stats, they are above average, but he has a lot of shut outs, which would be good except his avg. Doesn't reflect it, ergo he is very hot and cold. Which is indicative of mental weakness, that's why its to be expected that his playoff play is sub par, and it very much is. that's what it comes down to, if you can't perform in the playoffs who cares if your decent through the season.
Well we've been looking for a solid goalie since Roenick iced us back in '03. Except for Reimers 37 games in 10-11, we haven't gotten it in 9 years. If we can get 5-7 years of 'above-average' goaltending here for a small return to VAN, I'm all for it.

Franson, Colborne+ whatever, I'm happy. Keep our core, and 1sts.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Why? All those players could have been waived to free up cap space if needed.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
with the 70 mil cap it'll hardly be an issue

i'm not convinced we'll even be at the cap this year

Old
07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Why? All those players could have been waived to free up cap space if needed.
I'm kidding. The truth is there are so many of us that there is always someone complaining.

FTR, I love the trade. I've always liked Phaneufs game.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Well we've been looking for a solid goalie since Roenick iced us back in '03. Except for Reimers 37 games in 10-11, we haven't gotten it in 9 years. If we can get 5-7 years of 'above-average' goaltending here for a small return to VAN, I'm all for it.

Franson, Colborne+ whatever, I'm happy. Keep our core, and 1sts.
Well we don't have a team good enough to do damage regardless of the goalie this year, but we do have 3 or 4 really good goalie prospects coming up, so I don't really see the harm in bring patient and building from within. Think where we would be now if we hadnt been so short sighted and traded a good prospect like raask for raycroft.. but repeating historically bad moves over and over again and expecting the out come to be different next time is a sign of mental retardation.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Well we don't have a team good enough to do damage regardless of the goalie this year, but we do have 3 or 4 really good goalie prospects coming up, so I don't really see the harm in bring patient and building from within. Think where we would be now if we hadnt been so short sighted and traded a good prospect like raask for raycroft.. but repeating historically bad moves over and over again and expecting the out come to be different next time is a sign of mental retardation.
None of our goalie prospects (who I generally like) were/are as highly touted as Rask. Almost all of them are free wallets, who we are hoping can turn into NHLers some day, Rask was a high 1st rounder, who has the poential to be a Top 10 goalie.

The Rask trade is not in any way shape or form similar to the possible Luongo acquisition.

Not that I'm really on the bring in Lu bandwagon, just comparing the 2 situations is ridiculous.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
None of our goalie prospects (who I generally like) were/are as highly touted as Rask. Almost all of them are free wallets, who we are hoping can turn into NHLers some day, Rask was a high 1st rounder, who has the poential to be a Top 10 goalie.

The Rask trade is not in any way shape or form similar to the possible Luongo acquisition.

Not that I'm really on the bring in Lu bandwagon, just comparing the 2 situations is ridiculous.
Technically, Rask was a late first rounder. I believe he was taken 21st or 22nd.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Technically, Rask was a late first rounder. I believe he was taken 21st or 22nd.
Sorry late 1st rounder, doesn't really invalidate my point.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
And draft position and a goalies success are rarely mutually related. There have been many really good goalies that were picked deep in the draft. Raask wasn't even considered our best prospect at the time, pogge was. Also they tend to develop slower, which is why I thinks Reims could be good.
Ed belfour, Tim Thomas, Jonas hiller, niklas backstrom, dwayne roloson, Curtis Joseph, anti Niemi, and more were all undrafted. A goalie picked in the 1st round doesn't impress me until he plays at an elite level

Last edited by delirium trigger: 07-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Beauchemin. That signing landed us Lupul and Gardiner.
Don't consider that a good UFA signing personally, that was a good trade in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Bozak has had more impact
Forgot about Bozak, I would put him above MacArthur also. Still isn't that great of a UFA signing though haha.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

To TOR:
Dion Phaneuf
Carter Ashton

To CGY:
Matt Stajan
Anton Babchuk

People should remember that was not Feaster making those deals.

Feaster looks like he's trying to pull a Burke, and rebuild without tearing down. Mind you both Feaster and Burke have won a Cup.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

Forgot about Bozak, I would put him above MacArthur also. Still isn't that great of a UFA signing though haha.
Which is funny because he is statistically better than Colin Wilson who some want to use good assets on.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
And draft position and a goalies success are rarely mutually related. There have been many really good goalies that were picked deep in the draft. Raask wasn't even considered our best prospect at the time, pogge was
Yes, both Pogge and Rask were considered top 50 NHL prospects when we had them though.

All goalies develop differently, but giving up on a Rask is a far more difficult decision then giving up on a Scrivens(older than Rask BTW), Owuya, or Rynnas. These guys barely are in our top 10 prospects let alone league-wide. If one of them makes the NHL it would be a great accomplishment by Burke. They are not great prospects, they are decent prospects, who if everything falls perfectly for them might crack the NHL as back-ups.

To sum up, if giving up on any of our goalie prospects is the biggest hurdle in bringing in Luongo, I go for Lu in a heartbeat.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
21st, and most of the Leafs fans here were complaining because they wanted us to have drafted a smallish speedster Cogliano

Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
And draft position and a goalies success are rarely mutually related. There have been many really good goalies that were picked deep in the draft. Raask wasn't even considered our best prospect at the time, pogge was
Gustavsson was considered the best Euro goalie, so it isn't like there are guarantees when selecting the best of Europe. Bruins even had a Finnish next one in Hannu Toivonen, who was supposed to be the real deal.

Kind of like the "Burke didn't trade a 2nd. overall pick for Kessel, he traded 2*1st.+2nd. for Kessel" situation. JFj didn't trade a top goaltender for Raycroft, he traded a 21st. overall picked goaltender for Calder Winner Raycroft.

Old
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

The goalie market is probably waiting for the Luongo saga to unfold.

The forward market is probably waiting for a Semin decision.

Sigh.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

The last two really good goalies that the Leafs have had were free wallets: Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour. Amongst current goalies, Niklas Backstrom, Antti Niemi, and Jonas Hiller were all free wallets. And the following current goalies were taken 200th or later in the draft:

Pekka Rinne
Henrik Lundqvist
Tim Thomas
Tomas Vokoun
Jaroslav Halak
Evgeni Nabakov

Old
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Feaster looks like he's trying to pull a Burke, and rebuild without tearing down. Mind you both Feaster and Burke have won a Cup.
i dont get that vibe. None of his moves has indicated getting younger. Hes bringing in older players still with no real youth movement. Burke cleared out the older players and replaced them with young kids. He stock piled prospects and assets in every possible way.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Don't consider that a good UFA signing personally, that was a good trade in my eyes.

Bozak:
2nd full season in NHL
Age 26
1.5 mil cap hit
pace for 53 points, -7.

Brad Richards:
12th NHL season
age 32
7ish Mil Cap hit
65 points, -1

Bozak isn't a superstar, but he keeps getting better and he provides a lot of value for his price tag. He is young and will continue to improve.

From a statistical standpoint he was very close to B. Richards, the great FA signing from last year. Not to mention, Richards is an NHL veteran playing for a top team in the league and still barely outproduced Bozak.

Bozie was a great signing, don't kid yourself.

The fact that Burke gets all these guys over other GMs shows his strong management ability. Whether or not they work out, time makes that more clear. But you can't argue the fact that he wins the competition between the other 20ish GMs after such players.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

If you think what Feaster is doing is similar to what BUrke has done.... then please stop sharing your opinion. All credibility is lost....

Closed Thread