HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

2012 Offseason Roster Thread - Part II

Old
07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

vCash: 500
2012 Offseason Roster Thread - Part II

old thread

The last 5 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilevski View Post
We may have taken Wilson just as a favor to Nashville since he's on a one way deal and Nashville is a budget team. Not sure he was acquired as anything more than depth or a top player in Syracuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Thats a tough decision. I think it boils down to either Brown or Connolly, and I think Connolly could use some time on a good Syracuse team. Conacher and Killorn are both interesting, but I think both are destined for the A. Theres gonna be tons of competition for these spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I'm wondering why we resigned Hall now, I see him being a healthy scratch a lot. Wilson's a similar player who's younger and has a better PPG average and Crombeen we acquired picks for so he'll play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Hall is very good at faceoffs and the PK, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb View Post
The way I see it is if we are going to use Brown Connolly and another 2-way contract player, we are going to have to shed a contract or 2. Im sure there will be a few takers for Hall atleast...

Welcome to the new thread!

Old
07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
MrMcGz

I'd like to think brown and Connolly make the top squad. I see Tyrell coming off his second knee surgery being eased back into the lineup. Wilson and Wan will be the first depth calll ups.

Malone Stamkos Purcell
Pouliot Lecavalier St Louis
Brown Pyatt Connolly
Hall Thompson Crombeen
Tyrell Killorn Wyman
Wilson

Hedman Brewer
Carle Salo
Lee Mikkelson
MAB Aulie

Lindback
Garon

MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
I liked what I saw from Connolly at the end of last season, he started to adjust his game to the speed of the NHL. He looked like he'd be better off starting in Syracuse, but things may change depending on a big off-season of training. He'll be on the team by at least mid-season, IMO. Heading into opening day we have:

St. Louis - Stamkos - Purcell
Malone - Lecavalier - Brown/Connolly
Pouliot - Thompson - Hall
Labrie/Wyman/Wilson/Tyrell - Pyatt - Labrie/Wyman/Wilson/Tyrell
Crombeen

Hedman - Salo
Brewer - Carle
Lee - Mikkelson/Barberio
Bergeron

Lindback
Garon

I love Thompson, but a 3rd line center would be ideal here just to round up this roster. We could see a lot of spots won over from players on last years Norfolk squad out of training camp. Syracuse if going to be deep next year.

Last edited by Yzlamic Extremist: 07-10-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
DangleDoppler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
Labrie/Wyman/Smith/Tyrell - Pyatt - Labrie/Wyman/Smith/Tyrell
Crombeen
Smith signed with the Pens

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Yzlamic Extremist

vCash: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDoppler View Post
Smith signed with the Pens
Oh Not sure how I missed that. Replaced him with Wilson, who for some reason I also completely forgot about.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:57 PM
stammerhammer91

I really think there are only 2/3 forward spots left, this is really how i see things shaking out.

Malone-Stamkos-Marty
Purcell-Vinny-connolly/conacher/brown/killorn
Pouliot-Pyatt-connolly/conacher/brown/killorn
Crombeen-Thompson-Hall
Tyrell, Wilson/Wyman

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Brewer
Aulie-Lee
Bergeron, Mikkelsson/Taormina

Lindback
Garon

I see them keeping 8 defenseman with mikkelsson and taormina battling it out for the 8th spot. I think that 10 forward "spots" (as in on the NHL club, not necessarily in the lineup) are defintley taken. I think that two of the spots will be taken by 2 of connolly/conacher/brown/killorn, whichever one of them does the best in training camp and preseason. I think that tyrell has a spot because of his one way deal and speed, him and crombeen will swap in and out of the lineup along with hall. So then the final spot will be a battle between Wyman and Wilson and basically whoever looks the best that is not gonna be hurt by sitting a lot of games. Which is why i think wilson has a good shot since wyman has a 2 way deal.

So bottom line, it will be a very interesting training camp and probably one of the fiercest battles we lightning fans have seen in a long time. Personally I think connolly and brown will be the 2nd and 3rd line forwards but I really think conacher is the real deal. I think killorn needs a year in the minors to develop more but I am very high on him as well as panik too. It looks good for us right now!

stammerhammer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Hall is very good at faceoffs and the PK, though.
It wouldn't be too hard to replace him on the PK, but since we aren't exactly the best team on the draw, he'll likely stick around. I think we'd be better served to have a more skilled player take his spot, but Boucher loves him so I doubt he sits many games.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:55 PM
AllAbout813

Correct me if I am wrong but I could have sworn I read Brown chose us over a few other teams because he was going to get a chance to be an NHL starter from the get go? Or am I just making things up in my head .

In my opinion (although all seem like great options) I like Brown>Connolly>Conacher. Connolly was looking great at the end of last year, and after another summer of growing up into older frame/getting older-wiser/getting bigger, you have to figure he can really come out soaring this year.

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Callum
All In

This is how I see the lines

Purcell - Stamkos - Connolly
Brown - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Malone - Killorn - Pouliot
Pyatt - Thompson - Hall/Tyrell/Crombeen/Wilson

Hedman - Brewer
Carle - Salo/Lee
Mikkelson - Salo/Lee
Auile - Bergeron

Lindback
Garon

Reasoning...

Stamkos already has one of his future wingers signed for the next 4 years, what would be better time than the start of the next season to see if Brett Connolly can add to the already lethal threat of Stamkos and Purcell. Aftera hard off-season with Gary Roberts Connolly should be able to handle himself on the first line. He has the potential but can he produce?

The 2nd forward line consists of the old dynamic duo of Vinny and Marty. Who better than rising star JT Brown to round this line out. Brown has the offensive potential to help contribute on this line. These 2 hard working veterans should raise the compete and skill level of Browns game

The past season we diddnt have enough scoring depth. By placing Malone and Pouliot with the harvard grad Killorn, you not only get a line that can score goals but is defensively responsible (not so much Pouliot). The size this line brings will be a huge assest to the team. One last positive is that Malone can help mold Killorn into a strong power forward given his big frame, he should be capable.

The 2 permenant fixtures on this line will be Thompson and Pyatt (likely dressing in most games because of likely injuries through out the line-up). Hall and Tyrell will play several games together re-uniting the DNA line us fans loved so much (when Pyatts playing on the 3rd line). Crombeen will be used when the finds his role. Wilson is expendable if he does not impress in camp, I see him waived and claimed in 20 games in.
The first defensive pairing was easy, I feel safe knowing that Hedman and Brewer are logging the big minutes. If Hedman played with Salo or Carle I believe hes offensive potential would be being capped somewhat. If its not brocken, don't fix it.

Carle will be logging 23-25 minutes per game on this line, with Lee seeing some time in the top 4. I feel Salo will be a 18-20 minute player, as if he plays over that that they will no longer be quality minutes. Lee has makings of top-4 defensman and just needs to round out his game and become more consistent. Sharing time between the 4 &5 spot will be very benefecial to him.

Mikkelson has no option but to perform or get moved. With young defensman eager to take his position he will be given time on the bottom pairing to prove his worth. Lee and Salo will be with Mikkelson on this bottom pairing with MAB and Auile jumping in and out of the line-up. I dont think we will play the 7th dman to often this season, so I see MAB being shopped around.

Lindback is possibly the goalie we have been waiting for, but we shouldnt rush him into 60-70 games in his first starting sesson when we have the veteran Garon ready to take on 30-35 games.

Thanks for reading, these are just my opinions remember :-). Feedback is welcomed!

Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:39 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I could have sworn I read Brown chose us over a few other teams because he was going to get a chance to be an NHL starter from the get go? Or am I just making things up in my head .

In my opinion (although all seem like great options) I like Brown>Connolly>Conacher. Connolly was looking great at the end of last year, and after another summer of growing up into older frame/getting older-wiser/getting bigger, you have to figure he can really come out soaring this year.
Your right, but they never guaranteed he'd play in the NHL this season. The thing was with our team there where a lot of holes and he would have a great opportunity to compete for and win a spot, which he still does.

There were a couple of small things too, like being able to finish the season with us and make NHL money. Tom Kurvers, a UMD alumni watched and scouted him heavily, and might of had some influence on him. There's also no better undersized, undrafted, college star like St. Louis to learn from and this organization has plenty of smaller players, so it's a great environment for him. And very importantly we also have the Yzerman effect working for us.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
This is how I see the lines

Purcell - Stamkos - Connolly
Brown - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Malone - Killorn - Pouliot
Pyatt - Thompson - Hall/Tyrell/Crombeen/Wilson

Hedman - Brewer
Carle - Salo/Lee
Mikkelson - Salo/Lee
Auile - Bergeron

Lindback
Garon

Mikkelson has no option but to perform or get moved. With young defensman eager to take his position he will be given time on the bottom pairing to prove his worth. Lee and Salo will be with Mikkelson on this bottom pairing with MAB and Auile jumping in and out of the line-up. I dont think we will play the 7th dman to often this season, so I see MAB being shopped around.
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they won't use the 7th d very much? Boucher loves to run with 7. It's true we have a lot more forward depth now, but I still think he'll go 11/7, mostly to keep MAB in for PP duty.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:40 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
It wouldn't be too hard to replace him on the PK, but since we aren't exactly the best team on the draw, he'll likely stick around. I think we'd be better served to have a more skilled player take his spot, but Boucher loves him so I doubt he sits many games.
One of our biggest issues that I've been talking about for a while now. Outside of Hall, and since we've lost Moore, we've been pretty much abysmal on the draw. Face-offs are definitely something we must work on, as the importance of winning draws becomes a bigger factor in the playoffs. If Vinny (48%) and Thompson (50%) can return to their 2010-11 face-off numbers, 50% and 53% respectively, then this won't be as big of an issue.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:10 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they won't use the 7th d very much? Boucher loves to run with 7. It's true we have a lot more forward depth now, but I still think he'll go 11/7, mostly to keep MAB in for PP duty.
In 2011-12 Boucher went with 12/6 most of the time, though.

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
He didn't have a whole lot of choice. Hedman out for a extended length, MAB out. Gilroy was injured a couple of times before he was traded.

Not saying he won't go with 12/6, especially now that he has the forward depth to work with, but he's always said he liked running 11/7.

Edit: Also, the year before, when our bottom 6 was better than last year, he ran 11/7 quite often.

Last edited by Benders Lindyhop: 07-11-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:33 AM
HoseEmDown

I don't see Wyman in the NHL this year unless we have several injuries. I don't care how much Boucher likes him there's no room for him and he has a two way deal. Maybe it's just cause I'm not a fan of Hall's but I see him as the odd man out. His PK and FO skills aren't enough to put him in the line up every night. I'd prefer Tyrell for that and I'm not sure how Wilson is at both those. I do see us playing 12/6 all season, only reason we went 7 D was our bottom 6 was awful last season. I think Aullie and Tao will be in the A.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:43 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Anton But got released by Metallurg. Is now the time?

Metallurg btw, is coached by Paul Maurice and Tom Barrasso.

Quote:
The second we got Mikkelsson though, we started going 11/7. Up until he joined I don't recall a single game that season, where we had gone with 7.

That indicated to me that there's a certain composition of defensemen Boucher likes to have before going with 7. If Ohlund was healthy last year, I'd wager we'd have seen 7 much sooner.

When SFY and Boucher came in, they said they didn't care if a player was on a one-way or two-way deal. If they deserved to be on the Lightning, they would be, and I think that strategy worked in their first season. Last season it started to become about two-way guys getting the shaft because of their contract status, and the results of that sort of thinking showed themselves.

Dana Tyrell, although in need of development, was sent down initally because of his contract status, despite being part of the DNA line, and we saw how well they played together when he was finally called up. Part of that boost came from the circumstances, but it's not like they had lost a step as a unit. They became the engine for the entire team, until Tyrell got hurt at least.

If we have a guy on a one-way contract, and he gets beaten out by a guy on a two-way. You either send the guy on one-way down, full salary and all, and/or you look to trade him.

It's about having the right guys, not the best guys as determined on paper during the offseason.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-11-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Callum
All In

In the past 2 years with Boucher as coach we havnt had the top 4 we have now now. Finally we have more scoring depth amongst the forwards so why limit that with a 7th dman? Also MAB is now expendable as Salo and Carle will likely qb the pp.

Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:45 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
In the past 2 years with Boucher as coach we havnt had the top 4 we have now now. Finally we have more scoring depth amongst the forwards so why limit that with a 7th dman? Also MAB is now expendable as Salo and Carle will likely qb the pp.
That's betting that Salo stays healthy.

I don't think, nor would I like to see, MAB as expendable. I don't think any D guy starting or capable of starting is expendable with injury prone players like Salo playing every game.

MAB earned his way onto this team after being a shot in the dark signing. He earned another year here and deserves his spot.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
********. You don't "deserve" anything being a huge defensive liability. MAB didn't do us any favors by signing with with us, he did it so he could get a two year deal. He is incredibly expendable. Does anyone really want to see him logging 15-20 sheltered minutes a night? Our D has improved big time, I would hate to have him as a regular just because he performed well out of no where.

Honestly, I hope we move him. We have Carle and Salo, with Hedman's D game hopefully developing further and Lee and Brewer being no slouches on the O-side themselves. MAB is redundant and unnecessary.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:50 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
********. You don't "deserve" anything being a huge defensive liability. MAB didn't do us any favors by signing with with us, he did it so he could get a two year deal. He is incredibly expendable. Does anyone really want to see him logging 15-20 sheltered minutes a night? Our D has improved big time, I would hate to have him as a regular just because he performed well out of no where.

Honestly, I hope we move him. We have Carle and Salo, with Hedman's D game hopefully developing further and Lee and Brewer being no slouches on the O-side themselves. MAB is redundant and unnecessary.
But... but... look at your name...

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:

He's also a stupid poop head.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:

Only reason he played those minutes were because of injuries. He was never brought in to be a guy who gets lots of playing time he was just brought in for his shot on the PP. I did like his heart and hard work out there but his D game leaves a lot to be desired. Your right though he is expendable at this point and probably will be scratched a lot or traded at deadline. With Salo on board we have a guy with a great shot who isnt a defensive liability. Putting Salo and Carle out on the PP is the way to go.

Drouin2Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Rschmitz

love, love, love our team. We are missing a few proven pieces, but nothing screams liability to me.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:50 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:

MAB is still better than Aulie. And offensively he's probably top-3 or even top-2 among our defensemen (when healthy).

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
bassassin

Nice thought that we finally have options on the point on our PP, the MSL/Stamkos on the point or MAB+1 was nerve racking as hell to watch.

Now we have 3 1st unit PP capable dmen in Carle/MAB and Salo, Hedman capable of 2nd unit duty. Thats without even stretching anyones talent above where it should be.

We can actually ice 2 decent PP units if we don't have to load the top one with forwards as well, anyone want to guess what they look like?

Stamkos-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Salo-Carle

Could be a good top unit, but maybe Lecavalier gets dropped to 2nd unit and stick Bugsy in front of the net.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote