HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-10-2012, 01:36 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Decisions have consequences. Suter has been a quiet, middle-of-the-road guy for his entire career, except for the ASG comment. It would have been in his nature to resign and quietly go about his job. Instead, he pleased his wife, his Bud, and secretly himself, but lost respect in the process. He was trusted by Poile, who's too trusting, and proved to be dishonest and disloyal. He will have to live with that, including an initially awkward first game at Bridgestone (clap, boo, etc) followed by boo's for a long time.

It will be so satisfying to beat them 4 times and make the playoffs while they struggle.

Suter blew it and he's Dead To Us.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM
handtrick

I will always hate Suter for stringing Poile along, but in the back of my mind, I have always envisioned him moving on.

Poile states, for the life of him, that he will never understand why Suter would not want to go down in history as "the greatest d pairing in NHL history" with Weber.

To me it is very apparent. Suter came in to this franchise drafted as our first choice in 2003 and being hockey royalty in his mind. Weber got drafted in the 2nd round behind Kevin Klein. By the time they were playing in Milwaukee, Weber started getting more and more of the attention. Suter had alot of problems coping with any criticisms at constructive or otherwise by the coaching staff. He would tend to pout and whine to his Uncle Gary about how they werent utilizing him the way they should.
Weber, on the other hand received criticism well, adjusted his game and moved on.

Suter has continued to be Weber's Robin. When Weber was out with his concussion, Suter even said, "I would like to have a higher role if they will give it to me." His numbers were good when Weber was out, but Weber's weren't as good when he was out, but still....Weber remained everyone's darling.
Weber gets Olympic fame by not only winning the gold over Suter, but becoming a Canadian legend while firing a shot through the net.
Weber goes to his 1st Allstar game and competes with Chara for the hardest shot, Suter sits home.
Weber winds up a close second to Chara for the Norris. Suter gets nominated for nothing.
Weber goes to his 2nd Allstar game and Suter his first. Suter gets his first taste of being sought out about his UFA status. By all means, doesnt handle it well. Says he doesnt want to become a distraction, but DOES in fact, become a distraction during the SC run.
Weber finishes 2nd again for the Norris. Suter, in his height of press coverage, finishes only 8th.

Now, July 1....finally, Ryan is the prize...the sought after one...a chance to be "the man"....no Weber shadow as he is not unrestricted. This may even be his chance to finally fulfill his role as USA hockey royalty if he picvks the right team.

He finds his buddy [another American hockey Olympic star) to go to the same team.....an American team in the State of Hockey. He gets the biggest contract in NHL history for a defenseman. He goes to his wife's home town. And by God, he can raise his beloved Brooks and any future hockey royalty in a "hockey culture" where life of everybody revolves around hockey from mites through peewee through high school through college. He can even say it is for "family reasons," and Poile cannot even argue against it.

But I will always believe that in reality, getting out of Weber's formidable and forever shadow will always be the real, untold, and never talked about reason for him not signing long term with the Predators. You may think that his "awe shucks" demeanor seen in the press is the real Ryan Suter, but there is one HUGE ego in there that few get a real chance to see. I, for one, hope he never fulfills his "destiny."

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I will always hate Suter for stringing Poile along, but in the back of my mind, I have always envisioned him moving on.

Poile states, for the life of him, that he will never understand why Suter would not want to go down in history as "the greatest d pairing in NHL history" with Weber.

To me it is very apparent. Suter came in to this franchise drafted as our first choice in 2003 and being hockey royalty in his mind. Weber got drafted in the 2nd round behind Kevin Klein. By the time they were playing in Milwaukee, Weber started getting more and more of the attention. Suter had alot of problems coping with any criticisms at constructive or otherwise by the coaching staff. He would tend to pout and whine to his Uncle Gary about how they werent utilizing him the way they should.
Weber, on the other hand received criticism well, adjusted his game and moved on.

Suter has continued to be Weber's Robin. When Weber was out with his concussion, Suter even said, "I would like to have a higher role if they will give it to me." His numbers were good when Weber was out, but Weber's weren't as good when he was out, but still....Weber remained everyone's darling.
Weber gets Olympic fame by not only winning the gold over Suter, but becoming a Canadian legend while firing a shot through the net.
Weber goes to his 1st Allstar game and competes with Chara for the hardest shot, Suter sits home.
Weber winds up a close second to Chara for the Norris. Suter gets nominated for nothing.
Weber goes to his 2nd Allstar game and Suter his first. Suter gets his first taste of being sought out about his UFA status. By all means, doesnt handle it well. Says he doesnt want to become a distraction, but DOES in fact, become a distraction during the SC run.
Weber finishes 2nd again for the Norris. Suter, in his height of press coverage, finishes only 8th.

Now, July 1....finally, Ryan is the prize...the sought after one...a chance to be "the man"....no Weber shadow as he is not unrestricted. This may even be his chance to finally fulfill his role as USA hockey royalty if he picvks the right team.

He finds his buddy [another American hockey Olympic star) to go to the same team.....an American team in the State of Hockey. He gets the biggest contract in NHL history for a defenseman. He goes to his wife's home town. And by God, he can raise his beloved Brooks and any future hockey royalty in a "hockey culture" where life of everybody revolves around hockey from mites through peewee through high school through college. He can even say it is for "family reasons," and Poile cannot even argue against it.

But I will always believe that in reality, getting out of Weber's formidable and forever shadow will always be the real, untold, and never talked about reason for him not signing long term with the Predators. You may think that his "awe shucks" demeanor seen in the press is the real Ryan Suter, but there is one HUGE ego in there that few get a real chance to see. I, for one, hope he never fulfills his "destiny."
Best post ever!

I couldn't agree more and you put into words exactly what I have been thinking for the last few months...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:

This post would make Suter's stomach turn. He wasn't fooling anybody.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

Welcome back ... and damn, that was a thorough post ... and I agree with what you said ... still doesn't mean Poile should be let off the hook in any way shape form or fashion.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
hido

Quote:

I read this MB everyday but never post because, well, I don't know crap and I would only deter from the discussion. That being said, this is probably the best analysis I have read anywhere about the entire situation. By far and away makes the most sense.

hido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Firestorm

I don't know what's more insulting:

Ryan Suter's behaviour.

OR

Suter signed by Liarpold.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:34 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I don't know what's more insulting:

Ryan Suter's behaviour.

OR

Suter signed by Liarpold.
My epiphany:

Craig Leipold is Darth Vader.
Ryan Suter is Luke Skywalker.
Zach Parise is Princess Leia.

"Luke, come play with Leia in the land of mosquitoes and 10,000 lakes. I am your father and I command thee to come hither... or else!"

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:40 PM
codeman00

That's a great analysis....And to add to what you said, the reason Shea Weber was so shocked and disappointed with the decision was because even Weber himself didn't realize that Suter was so jealous. Weber too expected Suter to be back. Also, we know that Suter was basically tearing up in front of reporters on "locker room cleanup day" which could have easily meant that he knew that he would never be back. There was no other reason for him to be that upset if he was coming back. I keyed in on that during the section 303 audio only interview, but was hoping it didn't mean what I thought it meant.

His parting words about Poile (that were quickly changed the next day) were enough to turn my stomach.

It's amazing how clear things are in hindsight. I wish the guy nothing but misfortune in his career from here on out. I just hope Weber decides to stay here in Nashville and finish the job.

codeman00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Welcome back ... and damn, that was a thorough post ... and I agree with what you said ... still doesn't mean Poile should be let off the hook in any way shape form or fashion.
Really?? You have a franchise defenseman who leads you to believe he's gonna resign. But according to you he should have just drawn the line in the sand and said "sign now or you're traded"... Easy to say after you know how it ends, but I bet if poile had traded him for the rental return he would have garnered and then went public and said "well, I probably would have stayed but poile forced my hand" you would be ready to string him up... Just admit it... You hate poile, and nothing he does will satisfy you... I suspect if we sign weber you will ***** about it costing too much but if we trade him you will bemaon poiles inability to retain him...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Predsboro

Quote:

Excellent analysis Brian ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:34 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Really?? You have a franchise defenseman who leads you to believe he's gonna resign. But according to you he should have just drawn the line in the sand and said "sign now or you're traded"... Easy to say after you know how it ends, but I bet if poile had traded him for the rental return he would have garnered and then went public and said "well, I probably would have stayed but poile forced my hand" you would be ready to string him up... Just admit it... You hate poile, and nothing he does will satisfy you... I suspect if we sign weber you will ***** about it costing too much but if we trade him you will bemaon poiles inability to retain him...
So point everyone to the direction where DP has done anything significant with ANY team he has been with and where that team went on to win anything?

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

no troll...legitimate question brought on by the speculation over Suter's departure of the Preds, specifically the "in the shadow of Weber" reasoning.

Not exactly sure where or how, but I've always though of Suter as a "quiet" guy. Not a spotlight hound or anyone who needs praise heaped on him or attention or whatever. He choses to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, for pete's sake. He doesn't hold court like the last batch of high end free agents. etc etc. on the ice he always looked like the calmer half of that tandem. Whence the "out of the shadow" talk?

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Unfortunately, I can't blame Poile for hanging on to Suter through the trade deadline. If he had traded him, our big chance of a Stanley Cup run would have been squandered, and Poile would have had zero chance of ever resigning Weber. The fan base would have ran him out on a rail. He had to push in his chips and go all in. If we would have gone to the SC finals, Suter still would have walked, IMO.
Suter wanted his real chance @ the SC and forced Poile's hand to go all-in, no matter what the longterm consequence to the franchise of losing him for nothing on July 1st.
Granted, the way it played out, we will most likely have to trade Weber this summer as I doubt he will sign now here longterm. He will want to get his crack at the Crosby contract before the CBA expires and Poile can't afford to lose him for nothing the way he did Suter.
In retrospect, Poile could have traded the farm to NJ to try & get Parise @ the deadline and then work on reupping Parise & Suter together. However, I suspect that we still would have lost their services on July 1 for nothing and been in worse shape longterm than we are now.
I think we have to just face the fact that Suter had no intention to sign longterm and strung Poile along for his own benefit, when he knew he had Poile over a barrel.

Last edited by handtrick: 07-10-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
no troll...legitimate question brought on by the speculation over Suter's departure of the Preds, specifically the "in the shadow of Weber" reasoning.

Not exactly sure where or how, but I've always though of Suter as a "quiet" guy. Not a spotlight hound or anyone who needs praise heaped on him or attention or whatever. He choses to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, for pete's sake. He doesn't hold court like the last batch of high end free agents. etc etc. on the ice he always looked like the calmer half of that tandem. Whence the "out of the shadow" talk?
My original post was, in part, derived from experiences, observations, and discussions with coaches during two road trips with the team, one in 2005/6 and one in 2006/7 as well as subsequent observations and discussions whose roots derive from those road trips.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
My original post was, in part, derived from experiences, observations, and discussions with coaches during two road trips with the team, one in 2005/6 and one in 2006/7 as well as subsequent observations and discussions whose roots derive from those road trips.
Thanks for the response--I've always admired (or coveted) from afar both of them but obviously i wouldn't have the ready access or exposure that some Preds fans have.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:27 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Suter is just a big liar that didn't have the guts to tell Poile to his face he wanted to play near his family. That whole "competitive team" crap was just BS.
This is what gets me.

He left Nashville to go to a team that over the past 10 years, has not been as competitive as Nashville. In short, he had this planned for a long time. He strung Nashville along in case Minnesota wasn't able to come through, but as long as they could, he had no intention of signing with Nashville.

And then he has the audacity to claim it was a tough decision because "of all Nashville has done for him." When you're lying about your intentions and reasons while working behind the scenes to secure your new home, there's nothing tough about it.

I'm generally not one to scorn players for going for the brass ring. When they leave because a better contract is offered and they're upfront about it, I wish them well. But when you lie about your intentions and refuse to at least give your club a chance to match the offer, I'm not going to defend you nor remember you fondly. Sorry Ryan. You can laugh all the way to the bank, but in no way should you feel Nashville fans are anything but justified in their disdain for your actions.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Prederator

Quote:

I really like your post, especially the part about being in Weber's shadow, as I think that was a much bigger issue than people around Nashville ever realized.

I do have to disagree with the sentiment in your first sentence about stringing Poile along. Poile has been around as an NHL GM for a long time and is a big boy. If he thought a statement made by Suter in November about giving the Preds last look to match any offer would stick in July, he either can not accurately read these situations or is incredibly naive. Suter did gather the bravado you describe in the timeline in your post and Poile should have read that too.

Suter owed the Preds and especially Poile nothing. Unfortunately, business gets in the way of establishing good teams and team unity in professional sports, and it goes both ways. There have been many many times when a professional athlete has given his left nut to a team only to be cut or left out in the cold without a contract the very next season. Suter played by the rules and made the best decision for his family and him.

It is Nashville's fault they could not compete, either in team competitive terms, money terms or any other terms. Poile made a big gamble in holding on to hope that Suter would return. He did not read the situation correctly and should have known Suter would move on. He should have made contingency plans. He didn't. Instead he looks like an incompetent lost little boy, crying over spilt milk.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
token grinder

it's all good. his agent made him call cooper for a softball interview. he said he was sorry. his image is now good. He REALLY wants that tribute video.

nd robbie cano thought he had it tough in KC this week......

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
I really like your post, especially the part about being in Weber's shadow, as I think that was a much bigger issue than people around Nashville ever realized.

I do have to disagree with the sentiment in your first sentence about stringing Poile along. Poile has been around as an NHL GM for a long time and is a big boy. If he thought a statement made by Suter in November about giving the Preds last look to match any offer would stick in July, he either can not accurately read these situations or is incredibly naive. Suter did gather the bravado you describe in the timeline in your post and Poile should have read that too.

Suter owed the Preds and especially Poile nothing. Unfortunately, business gets in the way of establishing good teams and team unity in professional sports, and it goes both ways. There have been many many times when a professional athlete has given his left nut to a team only to be cut or left out in the cold without a contract the very next season. Suter played by the rules and made the best decision for his family and him.

It is Nashville's fault they could not compete, either in team competitive terms, money terms or any other terms. Poile made a big gamble in holding on to hope that Suter would return. He did not read the situation correctly and should have known Suter would move on. He should have made contingency plans. He didn't. Instead he looks like an incompetent lost little boy, crying over spilt milk.
I would agree with your sentiments if Suter hadnt come out and said all the crap he did about wanting nashville to prove it was competitive, which implied that there was 'something" Poile could have done that would have made him stay.

If he had simply said nothing, or the usual platitudes that athletes say when they know they are leaving (like, "I just want to focus on this season and will worry about a contract after the season is over") I would have no problem with what he did.

But I believe Suter was a chicken****, and he thought there was no way Poile would make all the moves he did and he could leave town looking like the hero who had been wronged and Poile be the bad guy.... and then when poile did all that stuff Suter was screwed because he couldnt just leave and claim that Poile hadnt met his"demands"

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:44 AM
wadesworld

Quote:

Nashville has been MORE competitive than the Wild, and you certainly can't say the Preds weren't competitive with the Wild financially. They weren't given the chance.

Suter lied while working behind the scenes. As long as the Wild could come through, he had no intention of signing with Nashville. Short of calling him a liar and trading him for a fraction of his real value, what exactly did you expect Poile to do? By all accounts he tried every possible angle to get Suter to sign, but Suter continually refused. Now we know why.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would agree with your sentiments if Suter hadnt come out and said all the crap he did about wanting nashville to prove it was competitive, which implied that there was 'something" Poile could have done that would have made him stay.

If he had simply said nothing, or the usual platitudes that athletes say when they know they are leaving (like, "I just want to focus on this season and will worry about a contract after the season is over") I would have no problem with what he did.

But I believe Suter was a chicken****, and he thought there was no way Poile would make all the moves he did and he could leave town looking like the hero who had been wronged and Poile be the bad guy.... and then when poile did all that stuff Suter was screwed because he couldnt just leave and claim that Poile hadnt met his"demands"
I do agree that Suter (and probably Weber too) pressured Poile into doing something at the deadline to improve the team to be more competitive in the playoffs. But what Poile did I think proved to Suter at least, that Poile doesn't have what it takes to build a Stanley Cup team.

Poile replaced Smithson with Gaustad for draft picks and more money and virtually no difference in results. (Btw...Smithson was the pentultimate "team guy" whom everybody loved. Poile and Preds showed no loyalty to their player there, something that did not go unnoticed by the players I think.) Then Poile traded more draft picks for AK, who was the prototypical "me first" Russian. Poile should have known this and seen this beforehand. He also brought in another "me first" Russian in AR. Together, those two players totally disrupted team chemistry and provided a huge distraction that I believe ultimately caused us to lose the Phoenix series.

I think all of these moves contributed to Suter thinking that Nashville will have a very hard time putting together a cup team under Poile.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
2. You are not a hockey market. You might have a good pro hockey fan base, but you are not a hockey market. Not meant as an insult, but it's the truth.
It may be the truth, but given the Wild's financial problems and the size of these contracts, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Minnesota without a team sometime in the next 10 years. Better hope Suter and Parise are the silver bullet you think they are.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
It may be the truth, but given the Wild's financial problems and the size of these contracts, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Minnesota without a team sometime in the next 10 years. Better hope Suter and Parise are the silver bullet you think they are.
The Wild has no financial problems I am aware of. They have a great stadium deal for all of the events at the Xcel Center. They also just sold 2000 more season tickets in the last week after signing Parise and Suter. Plus Leopold is married to HUGE money. Any losses the Wild may incur is just a rounding error to him.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
I think all of these moves contributed to Suter thinking that Nashville will have a very hard time putting together a cup team under Poile.
methinks Poile has a better chance than Liarpold does.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote