HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Two things I find really interesting in this interview:

1. It seems like they want to have a very good look at Heard in camp. Possibility of 4th line C? Maybe.

2. Also very interesting that he always mentions Barrie before Elliott. Are they feeling better about Barrie than Elliott at this point? Personally I think they should. I think Barrie did a lot better defensively and was starting to get a lot more involved offensively towards the end of the year.

Great interview though.
I think Elliott just needs a full season in the AHL more than Barrie. Elliott showed the potential early on, but his lack of strength and poor dzone play wore him down. Barrie didn't flash as brightly, but he was also much more solid. I'd imagine both spend plenty of time in Lake Erie, but I also think that barring unforeseen developments, Barrie should be getting the call up first. Let Elliott focus on getting stronger and working on his defense by playing big minutes for the Monsters.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I think Elliott just needs a full season in the AHL more than Barrie. Elliott showed the potential early on, but his lack of strength and poor dzone play wore him down. Barrie didn't flash as brightly, but he was also much more solid. I'd imagine both spend plenty of time in Lake Erie, but I also think that barring unforeseen developments, Barrie should be getting the call up first. Let Elliott focus on getting stronger and working on his defense by playing big minutes for the Monsters.
I agree with this. I feel if we let Elliot develop for another season he's going to be something special. He's an excellent QB and has great vision. And that wrist shot, My Lord. I have high expectations for him and Siemens. Even though Siemens might need another two years.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
I actually would have been completely comfortable with Barrie as our 6th d-man entering the season if we hadn't retained any of Wilson, Hunwick, or O'Brien. Couldn't have said the same about Elliott.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Barklez

vCash: 50
How does Paul Carey project in the next few years? Top out at Top-9 type production in the NHL?

Old
07-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklez View Post
How does Paul Carey project in the next few years? Top out at Top-9 type production in the NHL?
I don't see him making the NHL, but that just might be my bias against BC players. Then again, I never thought that Yip would ever make the NHL, either (and I'm a BU fanboy).

Old
07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I don't see him making the NHL, but that just might be my bias against BC players. Then again, I never thought that Yip would ever make the NHL, either (and I'm a BU fanboy).
His defensive game is suspect at best, isn't it?

Old
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Career AHLer.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
His defensive game is suspect at best, isn't it?
He doesn't have any skills that really stand out. He's a decent goal scorer, but no real physical tools that stand out.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that the development camp starts tomorrow the 10th. Am I right?
Yeah Dater confirmed. Says it's a two day camp and it's not a big deal, but I remember a few years ago saying it wasn't a big deal and it was like a training camp with our prospects. I won't go check it because I got work and plans, but he might be right on this one. Considering it is just the 5 prospects we drafted. They're probably going over how to succeed to the NHL, strength and conditioning during the season, and what they look for in the future. AKA more of the mental side of the game.

For the strength and conditioning aspect, they could be on the ice for that.

The link

Old
07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
mkraayen

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere that the development camp starts tomorrow the 10th. Am I right?
Development camp isn't like some other teams that we've been hearing about. It's only for the 5 draft picks & introducing them to the organization.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...ig-deal/11073/

Old
07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I actually would have been completely comfortable with Barrie as our 6th d-man entering the season if we hadn't retained any of Wilson, Hunwick, or O'Brien. Couldn't have said the same about Elliott.
Yep, in fact Elliott's higher ceiling makes me want us to be even more patient with him. He was out of his league last year, so why push it. With that ceiling lets just let him develop and get the most out of him.

Barrie, on the other hand, looked like he at least belonged and was figuring it out. I'm pretty bummed that we've put so many bodies in front of Barrie and Gaunce as I think both of them could actually make the jump this season, so hopefully one of them forces Sherman to move somebody to make room, although I don't think Gaunce will get that chance with the number of lefties ahead of him. Plus I think they'd like to test out how he plays with Elliott and Barrie in the AHL and so may keep him down for the whole year so he can gel with Elliott.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Barklez

Quote:
Barrie, on the other hand, looked like he at least belonged and was figuring it out. I'm pretty bummed that we've put so many bodies in front of Barrie and Gaunce as I think both of them could actually make the jump this season, so hopefully one of them forces Sherman to move somebody to make room, although I don't think Gaunce will get that chance with the number of lefties ahead of him. Plus I think they'd like to test out how he plays with Elliott and Barrie in the AHL and so may keep him down for the whole year so he can gel with Elliott.
I've been trying to figure out how to put this for a while now and this basically sums it up. Elliott looked a bit like a boy amongst men at times. Barrie, on the other hand, while being shorter than Elliot is a really solid looking guy.

Barrie and a bunch of other NHLers were in town a few weeks ago for the Schenn's charity golf tourney. They were out at the bar the one night and even standing next to guys like Franson, Cowen, and Schenn he didn't look out of place, like he could hold his own in the corner with any of them.

In hindsight I just wish I had gotten Bozak's autograph... opportunity of a lifetime wasted right there.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
In hindsight I just wish I had gotten Bozak's autograph... opportunity of a lifetime wasted right there.
You'll have plenty of opportunity to get his autograph when...oh never mind, I can't muster up the energy to keep the joke going.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

I wonder why hockey Canada absolutely refuses to even give Siemens a look for any international tournaments.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Totally OT, but I have enjoyed the Twitter banter between the players/prospects. Galiardi sure is quick to call people on their halitosis.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
I wonder why hockey Canada absolutely refuses to even give Siemens a look for any international tournaments.
It's odd. And to my knowledge, he's never done anything to anger them at all. Me and him have talked about it even. And it's a fairly recent development because he played for Canada at the Under 18's or Ivan Hlinka (not sure which one) last summer.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Zandar

Quote:

Paul was originally drafted as a scoring forward. He tore up the USHL with Indiana but had to pay his dues with BC. His game evolved from being a scoring forward to more of an in your face two-way forward while seeing a lot of ice time in the bottom 6 during his college career. So his offensive game has possibly stunted some from what it could have been but he now plays a more rounded game suited for the pros. Unfortunately with the Avs he probably will never see the ice time to be anything more than a 4th line energy guy (if that) but with another team he may have more opportunities to expand his offensive game. It will be interesting to see how/where he is used in the minors as that will tell us more how the Avs view him as he should have more upside than Mercier without a doubt.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Cooperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Paul was originally drafted as a scoring forward. He tore up the USHL with Indiana but had to pay his dues with BC. His game evolved from being a scoring forward to more of an in your face two-way forward while seeing a lot of ice time in the bottom 6 during his college career. So his offensive game has possibly stunted some from what it could have been but he now plays a more rounded game suited for the pros. Unfortunately with the Avs he probably will never see the ice time to be anything more than a 4th line energy guy (if that) but with another team he may have more opportunities to expand his offensive game. It will be interesting to see how/where he is used in the minors as that will tell us more how the Avs view him as he should have more upside than Mercier without a doubt.
Thanks for the info. Always enjoyable to read comments about a player from someone who actually saw him play. Refreshing.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:48 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Glad and surprised to hear about this. Never pegged him has that type of player.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Glad and surprised to hear about this. Never pegged him has that type of player.
He really wasn't until he ended up at college. His role was to develop more of a two-way/shutdown role and did well. He was one of the captains this past year and received a lot of exposure from his work during the frozen four run. He was a pain to play against. He's the kind of guy who steps up when needed and has no problem laying a hit on someone. As much as I would like to see his offensive game develop more and become more of a top 9 fixture, he looks to top out as a Hinote like player. But like I said before, probably not with the Avs due to their depth and the fact he has guys like Malone, DVG, etc ahead of him for the 4th line role at the NHL level.

The Avs have a few other players in the system that are being overlooked because of the exposure/ice time with their current teams. You have guys (like Moffatt) who clearly have skills on the offense side of things but are either buried depth wise or have been asked to play more of a two-way/bottom 6 role.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:16 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He really wasn't until he ended up at college. His role was to develop more of a two-way/shutdown role and did well. He was one of the captains this past year and received a lot of exposure from his work during the frozen four run. He was a pain to play against. He's the kind of guy who steps up when needed and has no problem laying a hit on someone. As much as I would like to see his offensive game develop more and become more of a top 9 fixture, he looks to top out as a Hinote like player. But like I said before, probably not with the Avs due to their depth and the fact he has guys like Malone, DVG, etc ahead of him for the 4th line role at the NHL level.

The Avs have a few other players in the system that are being overlooked because of the exposure/ice time with their current teams. You have guys (like Moffatt) who clearly have skills on the offense side of things but are either buried depth wise or have been asked to play more of a two-way/bottom 6 role.
Thanks a lot for the info. Always thought he was a top-6 or bust type of prospect. Again glad to hear he adjusted his role to try to fit in the NHL. Looking forward to seeing how he does at LEM.

Thanks again.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Bunz very easily. I'd be surprised if Pickard ever gets more than 40 games over the course of his career. And that's generous. 25 sounds too mean.

Granlund vs Galchenyuk
Follow the red arrow if you want to see the thread, but it's the Prospect game on the prospects board, I asked Pickard or Bunz.

What do you guys think, there's a bunch of you that get to see these guys way more often than I can.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I actually prefer Bunz over Pickard, but not a lot seperates both of them. One thing is Bunz is much bigger, but Pickard is faster. Picture Pickard as Thomas and Bunz is a lot like Giguere. Just depends on what your organization prefers.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Brock

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...avalanche.html

Reviewing each NHL team's OHL prospects following the 2011-2012 season. Also providing an outlook on next year.

The Avs are next.

Old
07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...avalanche.html

Reviewing each NHL team's OHL prospects following the 2011-2012 season. Also providing an outlook on next year.

The Avs are next.
Nice read, thanks for posting this.

What do you think Sgarbossa's NHL upside and downside would be, out of curiousity? Are we looking at a top 6 or bust guy, or a possible 3rd line pest even though he is challenged physically going forward?

Closed Thread