HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Bickley encouraging Shane Doan to leave Phoenix

Old
07-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

vCash: 500
Dan Bickley encouraging Shane Doan to leave Phoenix

For quite sometime now, I had stopped reading Dan Bickley. However, I was pressed on from a couple of people to read his aritcle today. I won't give my response as of yet but I want to see what any of you had to say.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...-too-late.html

Quote:
Steve Nash was right. There is no loyalty in sports. It's all business and money, fantasy and spin.

So go on, Shane Doan. Get out of here before your profound sense of duty becomes an embarrassment, filling you with long-term regret.

Look around. To some, Nash is now a traitor. He's inexplicably a Laker, which is even worse. And he's made things very complicated around Valley water coolers.
Quote:
This is your last contract, and greener pastures beckon. Go if you must, even if it means returning in a Red Wings sweater. We'll understand.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Bickley is an idiot. He's always been an idiot. He also knows absolutely **** all about hockey, Doan, the Coyotes, or the ownership mess. He thinks Detroit is greener pastures? He thinks they can offer a more lucrative contract? He's stuck in the nineties. Not surprising, everything about that little turd is stuck in the nineties. ****ing booger eating twerp. He's one guy who's definitely getting a very ugly, very loud piece of my mind if i ever bump into him.

07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Right now, Doan has way more respect among the people in AZ than Steve Nash. Bickley could have wrote an article to encourge Doan that while it is his choice to decide where he wants to play to not go and play for either the Red Wings or the Kings. Why? Because even if Doan doesn't win a cup, at least he will still be reconigzed as one of the best athletes and characters in all of AZ sports as a result of not going to a rival. Instead, Bickley is encouraging Doan to do the same thing Nash has done only without a trade.

While I understand that Bickley doesn't respect Phoenix as a sports market for being highly fairweather in nature(and I'm the same way too), the problem is Dan doesn't see that his articles often take more of a dump on the hardcore fans of the teams in AZ and not so much on the non-hardcore ones.

As always, the guy is inconsistant.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Tell us how you REALLY feel rt....

I'm somewhat confused as to what Bickley's trying to do here. The column literally drips in sarcasm, given he's piggybacking off the recent developments with Steve Nash and the Suns.

But it completely backfires here.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Tell us how you REALLY feel rt....

I'm somewhat confused as to what Bickley's trying to do here. The column literally drips in sarcasm, given he's piggybacking off the recent developments with Steve Nash and the Suns.

But it completely backfires here.
I read the comments on AZCentral and it seemed that no one thinks Bickley wrote anything sarcastic. In fact, it seemed that few wondered what the **** was Bickley taking before he wrote this article.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:33 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
I just wonder if the Suns had gone to the Western Conference finals, would Bickley be as understanding of Steve Nash going to the Lakers? I know the ownership mess creates a different dynamic for Doan, namely the exhaustion of having to deal with no owner. I can accept the "If he decides to go, we'll understand" line of reasoning but I can't accept actively telling him to go. A little homerism should be in order here.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:36 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I read the comments on AZCentral and it seemed that no one thinks Bickley wrote anything sarcastic. In fact, it seemed that few wondered what the **** was Bickley taking before he wrote this article.
My comment asked if he missed taking his meds again.

But if you look at the overall theme of what he wrote it looks like he's doing a "Go ahead I double dare you to run out on us!!" schtick.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
johnthegod
cool story bro

suck it trebek

johnthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:21 AM
yotesreign

Main thing I got out of Bickleys column is Doan's kid got bit by a dog. Which, if it was a neighbor's dog, means he's probably out of here. But what if it was a dog owned by the Goldwater Institute? What if they are now siccing dogs on the offspring of Coyotes players? Like, if ya can't woo 'em with cupcakes, wipe 'em out them with canines?

I mean... what if??? Has Bickley even considered the unlikely?

Take the above about as seriously as I take Dan Bickley and his goofy hair'do.

If there's one thing he knows about less than hockey, it's auto racing.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Man that guy is dumb, if I was his boss I would fire him. Its fine to have your opinions but he is constantly bashing the organization. 910 should be doing what ever they can to increase the ratings of their broadcasts. Listening to him during the playoff run and especially after games on NBC, he just did not care about the organization or its' fans...what a joke.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:46 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'm pretty sure he's even more clueless about curling than hockey and auto racing.

Lame article. Doan has too much class, and he has said he'll stay until he can't stay any longer. Nash made it clear earlier on that if changes weren't made to the talent, etc. he'd be leaving.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
My comment asked if he missed taking his meds again.

But if you look at the overall theme of what he wrote it looks like he's doing a "Go ahead I double dare you to run out on us!!" schtick.
After reading the article, I have a hard time trying to see it or the sarcasm. If that was Bickley's attempt, it was a pathetic one seeing that he could have done a btetter piece where he embraces Doan more and encourages him not to sign with a rival in straight talk fashion.

But it's not.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
doaner

It's Dan dickley. What else needs to be said

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
DesertDawg

Time for db to go to detox...

can you really classify him as a local sportswriter? he sounds Canadian...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-its-too-late/

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, we’re not entirely sure what Bickley was trying to get at. Was he actually encouraging Doan to leave for greener pastures? Or, was it more a commentary on the shortage of loyalty in professional sports?

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Time for db to go to detox...

can you really classify him as a local sportswriter? he sounds Canadian...
I thought he was from Chicago.

Also I'm amazed Bickley's article is getting some national attention here at NBC Sports.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's from Chicago and is obsessed with Chicago and is incredibly bitter that Chicago doesn't want him.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

He really, literally has no idea what he's talking about. A few days ago when he was talking about Doan leaving, he said whatever team he went to could give him the captain's C. I mean, that's not even the worst of what he's said but it's just the tip of the ice berg.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

**** that guy.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

This is also the guy who's show, when it actually does talk hockey, can't stop bringing up the "glory" days of the JR/Tkachuk era of Coyotes hockey and fawn all over it right in the middle of the deepest playoff run the team has ever made.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

what I don't get is obviously Doan loves it here and wants to stay; so sign a 3-4 or 5 year deal with a NTC, then if the team would move just ask to be traded to X team(s). it's not like the first time in the history of this league that would happen.

Also just so Bickley knows, the NBA CBA allowed the Suns to do a sign and trade and receive three draft picks back.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
what I don't get is obviously Doan loves it here and wants to stay; so sign a 3-4 or 5 year deal with a NTC, then if the team would move just ask to be traded to X team(s). it's not like the first time in the history of this league that would happen.
The roster of team X could be set by the time that happens and aren't looking to add someone like Doan or maybe can't take on the salary. Teams won't wait on him forever.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I thought he was from Chicago.

Also I'm amazed Bickley's article is getting some national attention here at NBC Sports.
I was referring to the anti-Coyote rhetoric he spews, he sounds more like a troll than a local sportswriter. I can understand why Chicago doesn't want him, just a little surprised that he hasn't been fired, I can't see what he adds to that paper, except maybe as a tax write-off.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:19 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
The roster of team X could be set by the time that happens and aren't looking to add someone like Doan or maybe can't take on the salary. Teams won't wait on him forever.
In that example, what if Doan wanted to go a direct or division rival....but the team was unwilling to trade him. He has the opportunity to go wherever he wants now.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:28 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
In that example, what if Doan wanted to go a direct or division rival....but the team was unwilling to trade him. He has the opportunity to go wherever he wants now.
but if he wants to go anywhere he would have done that two weeks ago. My point is simply that there WILL be a market out there for a Doan a year from now. If they can trade Luango and that albatross of a contract, trading Doan is easy

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote