HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan Suter Signs with Minnesota (13 years, $98 mil)

Old
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I will always hate Suter for stringing Poile along, but in the back of my mind, I have always envisioned him moving on.

Poile states, for the life of him, that he will never understand why Suter would not want to go down in history as "the greatest d pairing in NHL history" with Weber.

To me it is very apparent. Suter came in to this franchise drafted as our first choice in 2003 and being hockey royalty in his mind. Weber got drafted in the 2nd round behind Kevin Klein. By the time they were playing in Milwaukee, Weber started getting more and more of the attention. Suter had alot of problems coping with any criticisms at constructive or otherwise by the coaching staff. He would tend to pout and whine to his Uncle Gary about how they werent utilizing him the way they should.
Weber, on the other hand received criticism well, adjusted his game and moved on.

Suter has continued to be Weber's Robin. When Weber was out with his concussion, Suter even said, "I would like to have a higher role if they will give it to me." His numbers were good when Weber was out, but Weber's weren't as good when he was out, but still....Weber remained everyone's darling.
Weber gets Olympic fame by not only winning the gold over Suter, but becoming a Canadian legend while firing a shot through the net.
Weber goes to his 1st Allstar game and competes with Chara for the hardest shot, Suter sits home.
Weber winds up a close second to Chara for the Norris. Suter gets nominated for nothing.
Weber goes to his 2nd Allstar game and Suter his first. Suter gets his first taste of being sought out about his UFA status. By all means, doesnt handle it well. Says he doesnt want to become a distraction, but DOES in fact, become a distraction during the SC run.
Weber finishes 2nd again for the Norris. Suter, in his height of press coverage, finishes only 8th.

Now, July 1....finally, Ryan is the prize...the sought after one...a chance to be "the man"....no Weber shadow as he is not unrestricted. This may even be his chance to finally fulfill his role as USA hockey royalty if he picvks the right team.

He finds his buddy [another American hockey Olympic star) to go to the same team.....an American team in the State of Hockey. He gets the biggest contract in NHL history for a defenseman. He goes to his wife's home town. And by God, he can raise his beloved Brooks and any future hockey royalty in a "hockey culture" where life of everybody revolves around hockey from mites through peewee through high school through college. He can even say it is for "family reasons," and Poile cannot even argue against it.

But I will always believe that in reality, getting out of Weber's formidable and forever shadow will always be the real, untold, and never talked about reason for him not signing long term with the Predators. You may think that his "awe shucks" demeanor seen in the press is the real Ryan Suter, but there is one HUGE ego in there that few get a real chance to see. I, for one, hope he never fulfills his "destiny."
Post of the year. case closed.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Prederator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
methinks Poile has a better chance than Liarpold does.
You may very well be correct Sir. Leopold and GM Fletcher have not proven they know how to win anything. Suter and Parise might be in for a long disappointing career there, but at least they will be surrounded by family, and a whole lot of money.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I will always hate Suter for stringing Poile along, but in the back of my mind, I have always envisioned him moving on.

Poile states, for the life of him, that he will never understand why Suter would not want to go down in history as "the greatest d pairing in NHL history" with Weber.

To me it is very apparent. Suter came in to this franchise drafted as our first choice in 2003 and being hockey royalty in his mind. Weber got drafted in the 2nd round behind Kevin Klein. By the time they were playing in Milwaukee, Weber started getting more and more of the attention. Suter had alot of problems coping with any criticisms at constructive or otherwise by the coaching staff. He would tend to pout and whine to his Uncle Gary about how they werent utilizing him the way they should.
Weber, on the other hand received criticism well, adjusted his game and moved on.

Suter has continued to be Weber's Robin. When Weber was out with his concussion, Suter even said, "I would like to have a higher role if they will give it to me." His numbers were good when Weber was out, but Weber's weren't as good when he was out, but still....Weber remained everyone's darling.
Weber gets Olympic fame by not only winning the gold over Suter, but becoming a Canadian legend while firing a shot through the net.
Weber goes to his 1st Allstar game and competes with Chara for the hardest shot, Suter sits home.
Weber winds up a close second to Chara for the Norris. Suter gets nominated for nothing.
Weber goes to his 2nd Allstar game and Suter his first. Suter gets his first taste of being sought out about his UFA status. By all means, doesnt handle it well. Says he doesnt want to become a distraction, but DOES in fact, become a distraction during the SC run.
Weber finishes 2nd again for the Norris. Suter, in his height of press coverage, finishes only 8th.

Now, July 1....finally, Ryan is the prize...the sought after one...a chance to be "the man"....no Weber shadow as he is not unrestricted. This may even be his chance to finally fulfill his role as USA hockey royalty if he picvks the right team.

He finds his buddy [another American hockey Olympic star) to go to the same team.....an American team in the State of Hockey. He gets the biggest contract in NHL history for a defenseman. He goes to his wife's home town. And by God, he can raise his beloved Brooks and any future hockey royalty in a "hockey culture" where life of everybody revolves around hockey from mites through peewee through high school through college. He can even say it is for "family reasons," and Poile cannot even argue against it.

But I will always believe that in reality, getting out of Weber's formidable and forever shadow will always be the real, untold, and never talked about reason for him not signing long term with the Predators. You may think that his "awe shucks" demeanor seen in the press is the real Ryan Suter, but there is one HUGE ego in there that few get a real chance to see. I, for one, hope he never fulfills his "destiny."
Interesting angle. Very believable because his good pal Parise had more pull than Weber did when push came to shove.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
The Wild has no financial problems I am aware of. They have a great stadium deal for all of the events at the Xcel Center. They also just sold 2000 more season tickets in the last week after signing Parise and Suter. Plus Leopold is married to HUGE money. Any losses the Wild may incur is just a rounding error to him.
Of course they sold a bunch more season tickets. So would the Preds had they signed Parise and Suter. That's no argument.

Here's one column about their financial issues:

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...sota-wild.html

Leopold also made a statement recently about how players have to be moved when money was being lost and how they might end up in that situation. (I don't have the exact quote)

If the Wild's losses are just a rounding error to Leopold, then why did he sell the Predators? Rich people don't like losing money.

I'm not saying anything is going to happen overnight. However, if Parise and Suter fail to get the team to the playoffs consistently, that spike in fan attendance is going to disappear quickly, and Minnesota will be somewhat handcuffed in their ability to make moves to improve matters. If Leopold's losses continue to mount, eventually the businessman in him is going to override the Minnesota hockey fan in him.

Finally, do note that I'm certainly not saying the Preds are on firmer financial ground than Minnesota. We're losing money too.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Of course they sold a bunch more season tickets. S

If the Wild's losses are just a rounding error to Leopold, then why did he sell the Predators? Rich people don't like losing money.

I'm not saying anything is going to happen overnight. However, if Parise and Suter fail to get the team to the playoffs consistently, that spike in fan attendance is going to disappear quickly, and Minnesota will be somewhat handcuffed in their ability to make moves to improve matters. If Leopold's losses continue to mount, eventually the businessman in him is going to override the Minnesota hockey fan in him.
Leopold made aproximately $45,000,000 when he sold the Preds. In the hockey crazed state of MN, any Wild owner can make money.

Suter's and Parise's contracts are not that financially onerous. You could argue that at $7,538,000 per year for a top five Defenseman and top ten Forward, they got a bargain. Both players took less money to go to Minnesota. And as the cap goes up and inflation sets in (and it will, believe me) these contracts will look relatively cheap.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Of course they sold a bunch more season tickets. So would the Preds had they signed Parise and Suter. That's no argument.

That's not a "column"...it's a fan blog written by a poster on the main Wild Message Board....and it's over a year old.

The Wild don't have any major financial issues. According to Forbes, they rank 14th in the NHL in terms of revenue generated.

That being said, as a Wild fan, I understand the "hate" going on with Predator fans directed at Suter....We lost Gaborik to UFA a couple of years ago. It sucks, but it's a reality of the new CBA.

MuckOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:46 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
In the hockey crazed state of MN, any Wild owner can make money.
The Dallas Stars say "Hey!"

Again, I'm not saying anything is imminent. I'm just saying strange things may happen if losses start mounting for a slime ball owner. But, certainly the opposite is possible too if they start winning (and keep winning).

Old
07-11-2012, 10:48 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
The Dallas Stars say "Hey!"

Again, I'm not saying anything is imminent. I'm just saying strange things may happen if losses start mounting for a slime ball owner. But, certainly the opposite is possible too if they start winning (and keep winning).
The North Stars didn't move because of lack of fan support, they moved because they couldn't get the State of Minnesota to build them a new arena or contribute to upgrading the Met Center...not to mention the sexual harrassment scandel the owner was embroiled in.....You want to talk about a "scum bag" owner? Norm Green is THE definition of that..

Last edited by MuckOG: 07-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Leopold made aproximately $45,000,000 when he sold the Preds. In the hockey crazed state of MN, any Wild owner can make money.

Suter's and Parise's contracts are not that financially onerous. You could argue that at $7,538,000 per year for a top five Defenseman and top ten Forward, they got a bargain. Both players took less money to go to Minnesota. And as the cap goes up and inflation sets in (and it will, believe me) these contracts will look relatively cheap.
I agree that it's unlikely Leipold will run the Wild into the ground like he ran the Preds into the ground. In Nashville he had to learn how to sell the game, and then he had to learn how to sell the game to people in Nashville. The culture here was foreign to him. I doubt he ever really learns how to sell the game, but in Minnesota he doesn't need to. Hockey is part of the culture there. It was essentially brand new to most people here. Of course, it does seem like he continues to have the "I'll just throw money at the problem" mentality, but I guess he picked two pretty good players at which to throw that money.

However, I don't think I would go as far as calling Parise a top ten forward, and Suter might be a top five defenseman but it's debatable.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
That's not a "column"...it's a fan blog written by a poster on the main Wild Message Board....and it's over a year old.

The Wild don't have any major financial issues. According to Forbes, they rank 14th in the NHL in terms of revenue generated.

That being said, as a Wild fan, I understand the "hate" going on with Predator fans directed at Suter....We lost Gaborik to UFA a couple of years ago. It sucks, but it's a reality of the new CBA.
Revenue generated is meaningless unless expenses are also shown. Again though, I'm not predicting this is going to happen, and the Wild likely are more financially successful than the Preds. I just find it strange that Leopold was making statements recently about steps that have to be taken when financial losses are mounting.

The hate towards Suter is that he had ample opportunity to sign but refused to do so, telling us it was about our championship commitment. All the while he was working in the background to go to a less competitive team for less money. Had he just played the "we'll see what happens in July" card, I wouldn't begrudge him getting what he wanted. Trying to smooth things over by "apologizing" now is just a slap in the face.

I think the previous poster got it right. This is more about getting out of Weber's shadow than anything else.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
codeman00

And now Suter apologies.
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...gm-david-poile

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
predfan98

it's not an apology, he knows he led poile on and lied to him, and he is using the media to promote his "i'm just so good" routine....

piss on you, liar...

He's probably been the "golden boy" so long, he thinks he can get away with it, because he always has.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Revenue generated is meaningless unless expenses are also shown. Again though, I'm not predicting this is going to happen, and the Wild likely are more financially successful than the Preds. I just find it strange that Leopold was making statements recently about steps that have to be taken when financial losses are mounting.

The hate towards Suter is that he had ample opportunity to sign but refused to do so, telling us it was about our championship commitment. All the while he was working in the background to go to a less competitive team for less money. Had he just played the "we'll see what happens in July" card, I wouldn't begrudge him getting what he wanted. Trying to smooth things over by "apologizing" now is just a slap in the face.

I think the previous poster got it right. This is more about getting out of Weber's shadow than anything else.
I think when CL made that statement, he was referring to the League, as a whole...not the Wild, in particular...but I might be wrong.

I can't defend Suter's actions or words that he said....Like I said before, we went through the same thing with Gaborik. I will say, though, that players are put in a tough situation when it comes to free agency. If they don't re-sign before free agency, they are asked "why?". If they say nothing, they are a scum bag. If they tell the truth about wanting to test free agency, they are a scum bag. If they lie, they are a scum bag. They are really in a "no win" situation.

IMO, the best thing he could have said: "I'm interested to see what free agency has in store. I enjoy playing for the Predators and will definitely consider re-signing here after I consider all my options."

....but there would still be a large group of fans for calling him a "scum bag" for that answer as well.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think the majority of Preds fans who feel like Suter is a ******* do so because of how he handled the whole situation. It really does feel like he strung Poile, the team, and the fans along knowing the entire time that the chances of him staying were slim-to-none. As fans we have a right to be upset with players when we feel wronged by them, and as the Preds forum this is exactly the place to vent those frustrations.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
IMO, the best thing he could have said: "I'm interested to see what free agency has in store. I enjoy playing for the Predators and will definitely consider re-signing here after I consider all my options."

....but there would still be a large group of fans for calling him a "scum bag" for that answer as well.
The thing to do is to say, "I'm not planning on making any decisions about that until July." And yes, you're right, you're going to get roasted by a portion of the fanbase for doing so, because everyone knows what it really means. However, if you know you're not going to sign, or at least intend to see what the market offers first, that's the standup thing to do.

If Weber came out tomorrow and said, "I plan on playing in Nashville until I can see what the free agency market has to offer, as is my right," I wouldn't be happy about it at all, but I'd respect him. The Preds would always have the option of offering him a contract so big it makes him change his mind.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:14 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman00 View Post
When I got to the word "sucks" I looked up and realized it was a blogger. Meh...

Suter did have the right to leave. He played out his contract, and he went where he wanted to go for his own reasons. And the blogger did get one other thing right: it's easier to see all of the faults now. Things have come out that make it seem more and more like he never had any intention of playing here after this year, but either in an effort to be misleading or because he wanted to maintain his "golden boy" image he decided to go ahead and string everyone along in the meantime. That action right there may cost us Weber, which will undoubtedly cost even more going forward.

So if he wants to apologize he needs to apologize for that. Apologize for not wanting to tarnish your reputation by being truthful from the outset, Ryan. People probably will still hate you, but at least they'll think of you as more honest than they do now.

And the Wild fans who are coming around to tell us that they know how we feel because they lost Gaborik, that's fine. Except the stakes are higher here. Minnesota lost a team before. Though for not the same reasons we nearly lost ours, they should take a step back and realize just how damaging this could be for the long-term stability of our team. This isn't "Well, a FA left, but we'll be fine because the team plays in the State of Hockey", rather the worst case going forward here is this undoes all of the good that has happened. Just as the fan base is growing and becoming more loyal we hit a wall harder than we have since 2007. Right now Weber is more likely gone than not, and does anyone really think that Nashville is going to be able to maintain these strides forward during a 3-5 year rebuild? And then what? Just to lose any stars we happen to develop along the way as soon as they become free agents? That's what the fans will be thinking, after all.

Had he done it the right way he would've still pissed a lot of people off, but he would have done it the right way. No one attempts to apologize for doing something the right way.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 11:14 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:

Leipold has been quoted as saying the wild are losing money... and that was before these signings... take that for what you will....

and remember the 7.538 is an AVERAGE over 13 years... look at the actual structure of the deal... it will cost the Wild $70 million actual cash for those two players in the first 3 years.... thats $11.67 Million per year per player.... and then for the next 6 years I believe its 9 million each per player... the bargain only occurs in the last 4 years of the deal...

the only thing that "bargain" cap hit does is allow the Wild to move them to a rich team that has plenty of cash but not as much cap space should this deal not work out and they need to dump salary in a couple of years...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:30 AM
token grinder

I wonder if the preds would allow those giants heads to be allowed in the arena for pre skate. I think 8-10 big weber heads casting a shadow on the minnesota end would be funny.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:18 PM
glenngineer

Plain and simple, Suter can suck it. End of story for me.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:33 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I think when CL made that statement, he was referring to the League, as a whole...not the Wild, in particular...but I might be wrong.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1224069

That is a thread where a poster finds a Liepold quote from April in which he claims the Wild aren't making money due to expenses being too high and he further iterates the highest expense is player salaries. So he makes that statement and then adds 200 million in salary over 13 years for 2 players. There is only two possible conclusions to those comments and the subsequent events.

One, he is spending money he doesn't have ( That didn't work out too good here) or he is a liar. There is a reason everyone here calls him Liepold. The man is a liar. He lied, IMO, when he exaggerated the losses the Preds were incurring to get out from under the team and forced us to fight to keep our team from a sniveling greedy billionaire. I understand he is your owner and now that you have signed two great players right now he is Mr. doing everything right and I totally understand how you feel that way. I can't stand the guy. When I hear his voice I am disgusted. I will be watching the situation closely up there in Minny from now on.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1224069

That is a thread where a poster finds a Liepold quote from April in which he claims the Wild aren't making money due to expenses being too high and he further iterates the highest expense is player salaries. So he makes that statement and then adds 200 million in salary over 13 years for 2 players. There is only two possible conclusions to those comments and the subsequent events.

One, he is spending money he doesn't have ( That didn't work out too good here) or he is a liar. There is a reason everyone here calls him Liepold. The man is a liar. He lied, IMO, when he exaggerated the losses the Preds were incurring to get out from under the team and forced us to fight to keep our team from a sniveling greedy billionaire. I understand he is your owner and now that you have signed two great players right now he is Mr. doing everything right and I totally understand how you feel that way. I can't stand the guy. When I hear his voice I am disgusted. I will be watching the situation closely up there in Minny from now on.
Honest question with no "troll" intent:

Wasn't Leipold instrumental in getting a franchise in Nashville in the first place? If it wasn't for him, would there be a franchise at all?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

Wasn't Leipold instrumental in getting a franchise in Nashville in the first place? If it wasn't for him, would there be a franchise at all?
we were getting one either way ... Devils (before their run of stanley cups were rumored to be heading here)

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:17 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
Quote:

that is true and is why I initially gave him the benefit of the doubt when he wanted to sell the preds.... I assumed he was just tired of losing money, or the wife had closed the pursestrings....

then it came to light that he was buying the Wild... and it became clear that he was dumping the preds to Balls not because he was losing money, but because he wanted to own the Wild and had to sell the Preds first... he didnt give a rats ass if Jimbo moved the team, he just wanted to be rid of us... so most of us call him Liarpold and hope he never has a winning season in Minnesota...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:
It may be the truth, but given the Wild's financial problems and the size of these contracts, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Minnesota without a team sometime in the next 10 years. Better hope Suter and Parise are the silver bullet you think they are.
Financial problems? Hardly. They just dished out $198 million in contracts to two players. Our majority owner's wife runs SC Johnson (worth billions). I'm sorry, but buy a clue.

The NHL let an owner take a franchise out of Minnesota for all the wrong reasons once. They realized their mistake quickly and granted us a new team in less than 7 years. Won't happen EVER again.

And again, my comment wasn't meant as an insult. In fact, it wasn't my comment at all. They were Suter's words.

Fact of the matter is, you aren't a big hockey area outside of the NHL. Assuming Suter meant that he wants his kids to grow up in a hockey-strong community (there is no stronger one that MN in this country) where they have the best chance to play and succeed. There is no comparison between Nashville and Minnesota in this regard. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:36 PM
MNState0fHockey

Quote:

Leopold also made a statement recently about how players have to be moved when money was being lost and how they might end up in that situation. (I don't have the exact quote)

Finally, do note that I'm certainly not saying the Preds are on firmer financial ground than Minnesota. We're losing money too.
Lots of NHL teams are losing money. Hence the negotiations on the new CBA and a potential lockout. To jump to the conclusion that Minnesota is likely to lose it's team again is the primary contention I and others have with your initial comment.

MNState0fHockey is offline   Reply With Quote