HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Nash is NOT traded....

View Poll Results: If Nash is NOT traded, what happens to start the 2012-2013 season?
Nash returns, keeps the C 32 32.00%
Nash returns, but gives up the C 58 58.00%
Nash refuses to report 6 6.00%
Something else (?) 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

Players voting now or this season will just vote Nash out of either PR or a sense of loyalty (assuming he's still here). One training camp isn't enough for this decision.
And again I say so what.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Rick Nash is not featured on the side banners on the CBJ website. He's not featured on any official team brochures, etc. etc.

If the PR team has moved on, he's good as gone.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post
Who knows what has been said behind closed doors, but what I personally remember being said was that he went to management and "asked them to consider trading him, for the good of the team and his career."

- which is probably more than "willing to be traded" but certainly not the "demanding to be traded" that some media and board posters have turned it into.
Or the "disgruntled captain" label you see posted.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
And again I say so what.
Then why the rush to settle this? Everyone that tells me the "C" is mostly unimportant are the same people that are against "C" rotation or going without it....

Old
07-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Are you for real just sad. BTW he is still pissed Konopka is gone, now that obsession is extra creepy.
Yeah, I posted a picture of the 2nd edition of Laura Stamm's Secret's of Hockey Speed which featured Kevin Dineen on the cover, and made a joke that Porty preferred it the 4th edition which had a Red Wing on the cover (forget who at the moment)

He DM'd me asking me asking if I got off on making fun of public figures, I couldn't DM him back since he didn't follow me, so I asked publicly why he couldn't take a joke, and I was blocked.

No big loss. Anything that is important gets RT'd anyway

Old
07-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I pretty much agree. Trouble is, without trading our most (only?) valuable piece, I don't know where additional scoring help is coming from. We've added Folino upfront and can look for more offense from the blue line, but we're still dependent on improved output from guys like Brassard, Atkinson, Calvert, etc. Just looks like more of the same old same old, to me.
This is where I believe we can really expect a serious increase. Not only in the amount of goals scored by the D, but in some serious opportunities for the forwards. First, the number of rebound chances should result in increased goals at the net. Second, there should be significantly more open ice as teams have to respect the point and can't just collapse on the forwards. Finally, as shown in the last part of the season last year the blue line is definitely inclined to join in the rush. Look for the puck to be brought up the ice with a lot more pace, with the D both as primary and secondary options.

Last edited by Roadman: 07-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yeah, I posted a picture of the 2nd edition of Laura Stamm's Secret's of Hockey Speed which featured Kevin Dineen on the cover, and made a joke that Porty preferred it the 4th edition which had a Red Wing on the cover (forget who at the moment)

He DM'd me asking me asking if I got off on making fun of public figures, I couldn't DM him back since he didn't follow me, so I asked publicly why he couldn't take a joke, and I was blocked.

No big loss. Anything that is important gets RT'd anyway
What a baby.

07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Then why the rush to settle this? Everyone that tells me the "C" is mostly unimportant are the same people that are against "C" rotation or going without it....
My point is that I, as a fan, don't care who or, for that matter, if anyone wears the C. The whole team can wear Cs or no one can. It can rotate. They can draw straws. I don't care.

It's their captain, not mine, not yours, not managements.

If the guys in the room still like and respect Nash and want him to wear the C, cool. If they don't and would prefer someone else (heck, even if they do still like and respect Nash and they'd still prefer another C), I'm cool with that too.

This sense from fans that Nash can't or shouldn't be captain just seems driven by the desire to punish Nash.

I get why fans are mad at Nash, but his co-workers may disagree and that's their right.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
This sense from fans that Nash can't or shouldn't be captain just seems driven by the desire to punish Nash.

I get why fans are mad at Nash, but his co-workers may disagree and that's their right.
Certainly. I was only advocating giving this situation time to play out and see a body of work to base a decision on.

As easy as it is to connect the dots that its a punishment to strip the C, I think its more about pushing this new culture of "Earning It", and that needs to come from management. Nothing is going to be handed to you anymore. Nash asked for the "C" before the end of the season in which Foote and Fedorov were traded, The same offseason when the team was attempting to get him signed long term. I don't remember ever hearing that the team voted or came to an agreement on Nash, hell, I seem to remember Howson also stating when Foote was traded that the "C" would likely be vacant for the rest of that season.

This is not to solely punish Nash in my eyes, its about making sure this situation is handled well and thoroughly.

I'll say bring up instances of LeCavalier and Marleau, two players who had the "C" taken from them and actually played better. Its clear there is a disconnect somewhere. I'd rather take my chances of keeping the letter vacated or rotated (which I think would allow others to grow in a potential leadership situation).

Like I said, if the team speaks when its all said and done and (assuming he's still here) Nash is made captain, he'll, at least, have earned it and really, thats what i think the organization wants to push to the fans.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

right on kallio

Let the players decide who represents them. Do it the 2nd week of training camp & move on. Our blue line shots on goal should go up astronomically. We haven't been able to get shots through in the past.. not a problem for JMFJ, Wiz, Aucoin, Nik, Toots Moore

We also don't have to play dump and chase hockey anymore. We can carry it out of our end with skating, or make effective two line passes that allow odd man chances. All this increases our % of scoring goals/ winning.

Who knows, resign Juice, and maybe he and Foligno bring us 40 goals combined that we didn't have last year. Throw in an additional 20 from the blue line composite & our fortunes may change.

Counting on Bob to stop the puck?

Old
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Its easy to see the desire to punish Nash as the reason you're taking the "C" away.

Its human nature, the consequences of actions result in the loss of material things. But keep in mind, this isn't the first time some of us have advocating the "C" being off #61's jersey, some were suggesting it BEFORE any of this trade talk.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:28 AM
BJFan1

In theory, if he isn't traded, I would like to see Rick give up the 'C' himself rather than it be stripped away. Also, I do not think he should even have an 'A' if he's still here. I don't think this is a punishment, I think it's more of a "since he requested out, that shows a vote of no confidence in the team so he shouldn't lead the team into another train wreck of a season". Let him be the player he can be without the weight of the franchise on him. Maybe he plays awesome this year and he still gets moved at the trade deadline for a bigger package the GMSH wants.

Give the A's out and sort out the captain at the end of camp once the team is finalized. Personally, I think JMFJ should carry the 'C' beginning this season, with the A's rotating through Umberger, Prospal, Aucoin, Wiz, Dorsett, etc...

Old
07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
In theory, if he isn't traded, I would like to see Rick give up the 'C' himself rather than it be stripped away. Also, I do not think he should even have an 'A' if he's still here. I don't think this is a punishment, I think it's more of a "since he requested out, that shows a vote of no confidence in the team so he shouldn't lead the team into another train wreck of a season". Let him be the player he can be without the weight of the franchise on him. Maybe he plays awesome this year and he still gets moved at the trade deadline for a bigger package the GMSH wants.

Give the A's out and sort out the captain at the end of camp once the team is finalized. Personally, I think JMFJ should carry the 'C' beginning this season, with the A's rotating through Umberger, Prospal, Aucoin, Wiz, Dorsett, etc...
Let's have Jack earn it, ok? I'm not saying he won't, but he's played so few games as a Jacket. I am tired of handing out things before they've been earned. I'm a fan of Jacks, don't get me wrong.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:21 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Let's have Jack earn it, ok? I'm not saying he won't, but he's played so few games as a Jacket. I am tired of handing out things before they've been earned. I'm a fan of Jacks, don't get me wrong.
Agree, if Nash is traded, stripped or gives the C up there is nothing wrong with going into the season or even playing the whole season or 20 seasons with three A's and no C until someone (maybe even Nash again) earns it.

*EDIT*
How about this. Since I believe the C is overrated anyway and this team has no outstanding history of great captains and there is no rule that you must have a captain just do away with the hole thing and worry about more important things and revisited the captain idea once there is a wining team here.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 07-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post
Who knows what has been said behind closed doors, but what I personally remember being said was that he went to management and "asked them to consider trading him, for the good of the team and his career."

- which is probably more than "willing to be traded" but certainly not the "demanding to be traded" that some media and board posters have turned it into.
Came across this quote from Rick Nash in the Pittsburg Post Gazette:

"I was informed by management that there was a rebuild, a reshape, in the team and I personally felt I could be a huge part of that towards bringing assets in," he said. "In my view, that was the best thing for the team, the organization, and personally for my career."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz20Kn9xvJc

...which is to say, "I don't want to be part of yet ANOTHER rebuild".
Who can blame him.

------------
Howson: "We're starting over again Rick"
Rick: "Not again! More broken promises."
Howson: "Rick Nash has requested a trade."
HF: "Rick Nash SUCKS!"

Old
07-11-2012, 01:08 PM
EspenK

If he's not traded the Jackets are "improved" by a full season of Cam & JMFJ, the addition of Foligno, 15 lbs of RyJo muscle and Bob. If the team stays healthy will that be enough?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Jimmys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

"I was informed by management that there was a rebuild, a reshape, in the team and I personally felt I could be a huge part of that towards bringing assets in," he said. "In my view, that was the best thing for the team, the organization, and personally for my career."

Who can blame him.

------------
This just in, Barack Obama has been elected president. Seriously though, that quote has been around for months now.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:12 PM
blahblah

Obsession with the captaincy again? Of all the things I am concerned with going into the season, that's at the bottom. If the players want to follow him so be it.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Dednimnepo
Winning is the Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Who can blame him.

------------
Thanks for the quote. That's how I remember it.

My question to all those that follow trades (I do not know enough to speculate or evaluate trades effectively), is there one or two free agent pick-ups that would make this team playoff challengers with Nash? That is, contracts/trades that are enough of a deal that would get a restatement from Nash/Howson?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
If he's not traded the Jackets are "improved" by a full season of Cam & JMFJ, the addition of Foligno, 15 lbs of RyJo muscle and Bob. If the team stays healthy will that be enough?
.... With a full season from Calvert, the Wiz and Martinek acquistions, Carter signed and Dex signed to compete and hopefully, topple Mason, will that be enough?

Old
07-11-2012, 01:18 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well I Never View Post
Thanks for the quote. That's how I remember it.

My question to all those that follow trades (I do not know enough to speculate or evaluate trades effectively), is there one or two free agent pick-ups that would make this team playoff challengers with Nash? That is, contracts/trades that are enough of a deal that would get a restatement from Nash/Howson?
Not likely.... Parise and two real top notch goaltenders MIGHT have been interesting, but then we likely don't have Foligno (signed at least) and we are still counting on a large portion of our top six to be, essentially, still "learning on the job".I took it as such, that he would rather move on if its a "several season" process. No Free Agents of top billing are lining up to play here until we can prove to be a consistent winner. Its highly likely that we wouldn't realistically be able to compete for the cup until Nash's contract is either in its last season or two or even after his contract expires.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
.... With a full season from Calvert, the Wiz and Martinek acquistions, Carter signed and Dex signed to compete and hopefully, topple Mason, with that be enough?
This proposed roster has the potential for a quick start, probably. I wouldn't be surprised to see them leading the Central at the end of October, provided Detroit and Chicago get off to slow-ish starts.

We all know St. Louis is dead in the water and is going nowhere. Nashville will make the playoffs based off their defense and goaltending alone. Suter and Weber are going to dominate the division for the next decade at least.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 1245
Just come out and say you no longer want to be traded, and go all mea culpa in the media. It strengthens Howsons negotiating position, and could help facilitate a trade. If it doesn't happen, then you've begun to rebuild the image in Columbus.

Old
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Optimism springs anew

I get what you guys are trying to do here. We were .500 with the addition of Johnson.

Johnson, Wiz & Aucoin for a season, Foligno potting 20+ Bob stopping 82 more who knows. Our power play certainly looks better than what we have trotted out there in the past.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:04 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Even if we improve in the Nash trade the West is so packed we probably can't get in anyways.

Closed Thread