HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephane Waite: "Crawford is our Number One"

Old
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Stephane Waite: "Crawford is our Number One"

http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/hockey/archives/2012/07/20120711-092308.html

Sorry, I can't copy-paste a translation from French from my phone.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

here:

Quote:
By Patrick Checkout | VAT Sports

The goalie Corey Crawford had a 2011-2012 campaign sawtooth with the Chicago Blackhawks, but it's a safe bet that he will return to the top of his game next season.

Stephane Waite, goaltending coach in Chicago since 2003, has no doubt that his protégé will be able to bounce back.

"He has not faced a difficult season, said Quebecers, during a telephone interview with the TVA Sports. He had some problems of consistency, but I am not prepared to say he had a bad season.

Last edited by Majik1987: 07-11-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: copyright
UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Shocking ,, A Goalie Coach saying his goalie is the #1

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Sounds like this, "Rex is our quarterback."

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
No shock that he'd say that, as it's been the team line for a while now.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:58 AM
hockeydoug

How has Waite survived so long with all the volatility at the position most of his career in Chicago anyway?

9th time is a charm.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:43 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I love google translate.

"Crawford is our number 1, he confessed"

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
The important thing is that we know why he had some troubles and we'll make sure it never happens again. "
would want to know more about this.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
No shock that he'd say that, as it's been the team line for a while now.
You're right, they should be saying "Crawford is garbage and we are doing everything we can to find a goalie who can actually play in the NHL."

That will give him all the confidence in the world!

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
How has Waite survived so long with all the volatility at the position most of his career in Chicago anyway?

9th time is a charm.
I would like to know this too.

People give Q, Kitchen, and Bowman **** all the time. How about we start a "fire Waite" thread?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Better him than Emery...I guess.

Last edited by CPHawksFan: 07-11-2012 at 02:20 PM.
CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:16 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Rex is our quarterback.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Crawford is our guy, until he trade for Luongo and then I am packing Crawfords bags myself and driving him to the airport and getting him out of this city ASAP.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:43 PM
xX Hot Fuss

I've been saying Crawford will have a bounce back year since February. It's good to see the hawks have publically stated their confidence in Crawford. I think he's going to be awesome next year

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:48 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I would like to know this too.

People give Q, Kitchen, and Bowman **** all the time. How about we start a "fire Waite" thread?
lol, might be a good idea once the season starts. I think the thread will have a strong following as soon as Crawford gets bounced the first time, even if he's playing well.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
hawksfan50

" ...the important thing is we know why he had some troubles,and we'll make sure it never happens again."

Hmmmm... I wonder what this "why" reason he had troubles was? Could it be:

1. Just sophmore jinx? (2nd year as the starter) IT HAPPENS...No such thing as the
3rd year jinx--so logically it will never happen again...

2. Too much partying with Kane.. They sure will make sure that won't happen again
-if that was the reason...

3. TEAM in front of him --refused to do their job in the d-zone --NOT a
bombardment of shots each night-but always a few big gaffe's or turnovers
resulting in quality chances on Crawford---THAT won't happen again because:

i) if it does Q will be turfed...so he (Q) will not allow a lazy D=-zone effort
from his crew again this year...no more contry club atmosphere. the team will
WORK HARD this year -that will help Crawford...

ii) Coaching staff was dysfunctional last year --assure us they will all be on the
same page this year--again that should help Crawford...

4. PK stunk for too long last year.. Asurances it will be a lot betterthis year-OR ELSE!
Crawford should benefit.

5. Having Brookbank this season and Montador for a full season will help the d-corps
depth,allowing less use of d-men in the wrong roles..Crawford willbenefit.

6. some technical issue they only caught afterthe playoff exit? Once discovered,
Waite has corrected crawford's technique flaw..

7. Other issues that have not cone out yet. Waite has taken the proper corrective
steps so he can assure us these won't affect Crawford again this year.

WHATEVER the reasons,hope he indeed has fixed the problem.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I've been saying Crawford will have a bounce back year since February. It's good to see the hawks have publically stated their confidence in Crawford. I think he's going to be awesome next year
Yep, I completely agree.

Crawford is a good goalie, maybe not a great one, but a good one. He's more than capable of bouncing back and the expectation should be that he does.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:13 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Yep, I completely agree.

Crawford is a good goalie, maybe not a great one, but a good one. He's more than capable of bouncing back and the expectation should be that he does.
Even if he doesn't, the Hawks don't have much spent on the net and there is roster flexibility to make a move to bring in help if need be. I'm not that worried about the goaltender position, and I think some of the pricey veteran goalies out there will be available this year.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I don't think Crawford is a good goalie. There is a reason he got beat out by Niemi in 09-10, there is a reason they signed Turco the following year and there is a reason he wasn't a #1 until 26, it's because he simply isn't good enough.

Everyone is calling last year a sophomore slump, while it was more like a rookie aberration. His NHL career SV% is .910, his AHL career SV% is .908, very similar and below average numbers and that is who he has been his career.

Everyone points to one season and says see he is a good goalie, I look at that season as a fluke on a career that hasn't been good.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

When Emery is your backup then yeah whoever else you have has to be your #1.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:59 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I don't think Crawford is a good goalie. There is a reason he got beat out by Niemi in 09-10, there is a reason they signed Turco the following year and there is a reason he wasn't a #1 until 26, it's because he simply isn't good enough.

Everyone is calling last year a sophomore slump, while it was more like a rookie aberration. His NHL career SV% is .910, his AHL career SV% is .908, very similar and below average numbers and that is who he has been his career.

Everyone points to one season and says see he is a good goalie, I look at that season as a fluke on a career that hasn't been good.
I think everyone that doesn't call him a garbage goalie just says its too soon to call. 1 great season, one awful one... no one can say for sure one way or the other which is the real Crow.

As for Niemi I thik he's got more natural talent and is a better big-game goalie than Crow... but I think Crow will always give much more consistent performances and I think is smarter which means overtime he can learn to correct his mistakes or at least learn how to best cover him up.

The book on Niemi has been on the best seller list for awhile now, but he still can't control a rebound to save his life. Get a rebound in close against Niemiand it's all but a sure goal.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:27 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

First, Niemi's contract didn't allow him to get sent down without going through waivers, Crawford's did. Crawford was sent down, Niemi stayed up. Second, if the Hawks didn't bring in Turco, they would have had to go with Crawford/Richards as a tandem. It made complete sense for Chicago to bring in a veteran goaltender to tandem with Crawford, it just so happened that Crawford clearly and rather quickly distinguished himself as the #1. Third, the Hawks have had big money invested in goal, basically, since Crawford turned Pro. Khabibulan and Huet.. that's no fault of Crawford.

I fail to see how a SV% of .910, when he had such a forgettable season last year, could be called "below-average". ****, Jonathan Quick had never posted a SV% better than .918 (.001 better than Crawford's rookie numbers) until this past season. I'm not saying Crawford is as good as Quick or close to it, but numbers only tell part of the story and that's especially true when it comes to goaltenders as the team that plays infront of them can be as much to blame as the goaltender himself.

Everyime (outside of his rookie Pro season) Crawford's come up, he's posted better numbers in the NHL than the AHL. Perhaps he's just a guy who performs better in the NHL do to the increased structure and better defensive play. Obviously, that was missing on Chicago for basically the entire year in 2011-12, except for spurts.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:02 PM
ndgt10

Let's hope Brookbank was the missing link. LOL!

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
but numbers only tell part of the story and that's especially true when it comes to goaltenders
True, after all numbers don't tell the story of how Crawford could not make the saves that mattered in overtime in the playoffs, choking almost every opportunity he got.

He's one of the worst #1s in the league and the team's most critical weakness.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
True, after all numbers don't tell the story of how Crawford could not make the saves that mattered in overtime in the playoffs, choking almost every opportunity he got.

He's one of the worst #1s in the league and the team's most critical weakness.
You wouldn't have said that after last year, when Crawford kept Chicago in the game during game 6, especially in OT when Chicago was badly outchanced and then in game 7, when Crawford was seemingly the only guy on the team who came to play from the drop of the puck in that game.

The guy some on this board foolishly want, Roberto Luongo, is the king of chokers.. and he's a very expensive one at that.

The teams most critical weakness is that they play with no structure. It's hard to do anything when you're running around in your own zone like chickens with their heads cut off.