HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Matt Dumba - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2012, 7th overall, Minnesota)

Old
07-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed bruin View Post
I really like this kid, IMO the Wild got a steal with Dumba. If he pans out he could be the biggest game changing defense man coming out of this draft. Would you guys compare him to Phaneuf, Kronwall, or maybe somebody else?
PK Subban without the chirping. A bit of Chris Chelios without some of the cheap, dirty play. Personally, I think the Phaneuf comp gets overblown - both can lower the boom but Dion was a beast at 210 or so pounds in junior. Though both are offensive type defensemen with ability to drop the hammer on people. Kromwall for the size and hitting ability. I can see elements of all of these players in Dumba's game.

This was a great draft for dmen. Had Morgan Rielly been healthy it would have been even more interesting. Murray, Reinhart, Reilly, Dumba, and Pouliot. All slightly different players and skill sets. Will be fun to see where they are at in five years. Hard to say right now.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
You know you have a lot of talent when a guy like this is lost in the shuffle.
This is the first draft where only one player cracked the top 10!

Granlund
Coyle
Brodin
Dumba
Larsson
Hackett
Zucker
Phillips
Lucia
Bulmer

Aside from Dumba, the Wild drafted a whole bunch of project/reach players. Not liking this draft outside the top round but they've found a bunch of gems the last few years.

But yeah, Dumba wanted to compete for a roster spot, but with Suter and likely Brodin making the team, he'll be in juniors for two years. If the Wild don't keep Gilbert, Dumba could come in as a 4/5 defenseman his first year and then settle into the top four, something like:

Suter - Brodin
Dumba - Scandella

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:23 AM
sbtatter

There is no way the Wild should keep Dumba in the NHL this year, he'll get hurt trying to play his aggressive game. Let him come back to the dub and learn his trade.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
There is no way the Wild should keep Dumba in the NHL this year, he'll get hurt trying to play his aggressive game. Let him come back to the dub and learn his trade.
Gieven the Wild currently had 7 defensemen, I think that is the plan.

If anyone busts into the party early, it will be Brodin.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I wouldn't rule out a 9 game stint for Dumba. If he can earn a shot, it will give Brodin a little AHL time to adjust to North American ice as well as give Dumba that taste of what he needs to work on yet. I would be absolutely astonished if he made the team full time though.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I wouldn't rule out a 9 game stint for Dumba. If he can earn a shot, it will give Brodin a little AHL time to adjust to North American ice as well as give Dumba that taste of what he needs to work on yet. I would be absolutely astonished if he made the team full time though.
Suter, Gilbert, Stoner, Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, Prosser, Brodin, Dumba.

Well, if he does make it even for 9 games, it would mean that
a. he is really advanced for his age.
b. he would be signed.

Certainly not against it, but dubious he can leapfrog that many guys.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
puckfan13

Definitely look forward to seeing him at the Canada Russia Challenge later this summer, would be interesting to hear some updates from Wild development camp as well.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:43 PM
WILDTATE10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Definitely look forward to seeing him at the Canada Russia Challenge later this summer, would be interesting to hear some updates from Wild development camp as well.
first development camp scrimmage is tomorrow. Alot of excited Wild fans to see all the young guys

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Suter, Gilbert, Stoner, Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, Prosser, Brodin, Dumba.

Well, if he does make it even for 9 games, it would mean that
a. he is really advanced for his age.
b. he would be signed.

Certainly not against it, but dubious he can leapfrog that many guys.
The sole reason he's not signed at this moment is because he's 17. He'll be signed in just about 2 weeks. He wouldn't need to "leapfrog" Prosser, and the assumption for this whole thing is that Brodin gets a few games in Houston to adapt to North American ice. Ultimately, he'd only need to beat out Prosser and Falk, which really just means he'd need to beat out Falk.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Wild had their first development camp scrimmage tonight. From the video feed, Dumba wasn't too visible in the first half. A couple people actually at the scrimmage were impressed by his first half though so that was probably mostly a combination of the low quality of the feed and how narrow the camera shots were. In the second half though, he was an absolute force. Strong defensive play in the second half along with several very good offensive rushes had those few remaining doubters changing their tune. He just never quits working. Can't wait for him to get a chance to move up to the NHL.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:05 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
I was at the scrimmage and made a point to watch him. Really impressed actually. Good skater. Looks smooth. Athletic. Transitions/moves laterally really well. Lacked a bit of hockey knowledge. But that comes from being 18 and playing with guys that are pros.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I was there and he seemed to take the first half just to figure out the pace and style of play. By the second half he was showing some offensive flair and not hesitating to jump in to the offensive zone. He figured it out quickly and should be even better on Sunday.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Just speculation: you think maybe Dumba didn't want to go doing his crushing hits on his own teammates?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
The sole reason he's not signed at this moment is because he's 17. He'll be signed in just about 2 weeks. He wouldn't need to "leapfrog" Prosser, and the assumption for this whole thing is that Brodin gets a few games in Houston to adapt to North American ice. Ultimately, he'd only need to beat out Prosser and Falk, which really just means he'd need to beat out Falk.
Who has a 1 way contract for damn near 1 million bucks.

Same with Prosser. That's a lot of money to have sitting in the press-box, especially when you are butting up against the cap ceiling.

I don't see the logic in playing a raw 18 year old kid at the expense of other more experienced guys who are already signed to one way deals.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Who has a 1 way contract for damn near 1 million bucks.

Same with Prosser. That's a lot of money to have sitting in the press-box, especially when you are butting up against the cap ceiling.

I don't see the logic in playing a raw 18 year old kid at the expense of other more experienced guys who are already signed to one way deals.
Prosser's contract would pay him $90k over that period. Furthermore, that would be offset by $45k in pay to Veilleux over the same period, so you're talking dollar figures which are complete non-factors. The money side here is completely irrelevant and will not play the slightest role.

Seems your entire argument is "he's 18." That's not even an argument.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Prosser's contract would pay him $90k over that period. Furthermore, that would be offset by $45k in pay to Veilleux over the same period, so you're talking dollar figures which are complete non-factors. The money side here is completely irrelevant and will not play the slightest role.

Seems your entire argument is "he's 18." That's not even an argument.
And your entire argument is what exactly?

We must give him a 9 game trial?

Why?

Perhaps if he has a lights-out camp and plays above all expectations in the pre-season, then we might offer him a 9 game trial.

Until that happens, I don't see any reason to assume he will merit consideration for a spot on opening night over guys that are pretty good in their own right, not to mention signed to one way deals.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
And your entire argument is what exactly?

We must give him a 9 game trial?

Why?

Perhaps if he has a lights-out camp and plays above all expectations in the pre-season, then we might offer him a 9 game trial.

Until that happens, I don't see any reason to assume he will merit consideration for a spot on opening night over guys that are pretty good in their own right, not to mention signed to one way deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz
I wouldn't rule out a 9 game stint for Dumba.
Hey, reading is hard.

Seriously, take the butt hurt somewhere else.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:06 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
He's already considered 18 years old under the CBA and can sign a contract, if that's what you mean.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

With the Genoway signing don't we already have 50 players under contracts though?

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Hey, reading is hard.

Seriously, take the butt hurt somewhere else.

Argufy is thy middle name.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:54 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He's already considered 18 years old under the CBA and can sign a contract, if that's what you mean.
He's considered that under the CBA, but under US (and I would assume Canadian) law, he's unable to sign a legally binding contract as he's not above the age of majority. That's why Brodin last year had to wait until his birthday to sign his ELC. I'd expect Dumba to sign in a little under two weeks.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Aerchon

I have watched him around a dozen times and can not say I have seen anything impressive from his play at any point. He skates around and hits people but typicaly doesn't "destroy them". Seem out of position alot. Too small. Missed the net a lot....

I much perfered his D partner Petrovic in every aspect. Bigger, meaner, better positioning, bigger hitter, better passer...

Dumba is highly over rated form the small sample size I have watched him. Highly doubt his style will transfer over to the NHL but with defenseman... who knows. Could be great but I would guess he doesn't play more than 30 games in the NHL his whole career.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I have watched him around a dozen times and can not say I have seen anything impressive from his play at any point. He skates around and hits people but typicaly doesn't "destroy them". Seem out of position alot. Too small. Missed the net a lot....

I much perfered his D partner Petrovic in every aspect. Bigger, meaner, better positioning, bigger hitter, better passer...

Dumba is highly over rated form the small sample size I have watched him. Highly doubt his style will transfer over to the NHL but with defenseman... who knows. Could be great but I would guess he doesn't play more than 30 games in the NHL his whole career.
And that's why you're not an NHL scout.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post

Who's also two years older....

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:56 AM
ProspectTalk

[QUOTE=Aerchon;52548513]I have watched him around a dozen times and can not say I have seen anything impressive from his play at any point. He skates around and hits people but typicaly doesn't "destroy them". Seem out of position alot. Too small. Missed the net a lot....

Dumba is highly over rated form the small sample size I have watched him. Highly doubt his style will transfer over to the NHL but with defenseman... who knows. Could be great but I would guess he doesn't play more than 30 games in the NHL his whole career.[/QUOTE

Wont play over 30 games in the NHL? So you're telling me no team is ever going to try to play Dumba the majority of the season in any stage of his career?

ProspectTalk is offline   Reply With Quote