HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So the Flyers called me today...

Old
07-11-2012, 01:30 PM
StumbleBum7

vCash: 500
So the Flyers called me today...

Trying to sell me on a ticket package. Im sure I will get bashed by some here and told to find another sport or something because some people hate being told what they enjoy isn't what everyone else enjoys but...

I told them that this season I will not be purchasing tickets to any NHL game due to the NHL's inability to be consistent with both officiating/enforcing the rules on the ice as well as the NHL's lack of consistent discipline of the players.

I told them that I'm tired of the NHL unoffically changing the rules mid season. Such as how this past season out of no where and especially in the playoffs players weren't able to cross the blue line withing being nearly bear hugged. Combine that with the new strategy of everyone laying infront the the goalie and trying to block shots I simply refuse to pay to see the product that is on the ice. If anything I will sit at home, save both $ on tickets, gas, ridiculous parking prices and most of all my time.

Anyone else not paying to see the current product the NHL is putting out? I love hockey as much as the next guy, but eventually if you don't speak with your $ nothing would ever be noticed.

StumbleBum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
The reffing was always bad.. Just now with 2 refs you have 2 people to screw up

And there has always been changes to the rules during the playoffs...

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
StumbleBum7

Im not talking about just the playoffs. It even happened during the regular season, and got even worse in the playoffs. I understand more will go in the playoffs and Im at most times fine with that to a degree.

But for them to change how they call the game midseason without telling fans/teams/players leads to many times where Im like where the hell is the penalty for the first month after they began calling it differently.

Not to mention it wasn't nearly as exciting not being able to see someone with speed get behind the D with ease and create space for a offensive opportunity

Old
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
the product on the ice, especially for the first 50 games of the season, is garbage. Even after that you never know what you're going to get

I would never purchase season teacks (if I actually had the opportunity)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
One of the only things that has remained the same since the beginning of the NHL is fans complaining about officiating.

Quote:
If anything I will sit at home, save both $ on tickets, gas, ridiculous parking prices and most of all my time.

Anyone else not paying to see the current product the NHL is putting out? I love hockey as much as the next guy, but eventually if you don't speak with your $ nothing would ever be noticed.
Seems to me that the high cost of being a season ticket holder is the primary reason you're not paying for it this year, though.

07-11-2012, 02:15 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i love it too much to not plop down my cayash on these tards. Its the greatest live spectacle there is. These guys are machines and it s the highest level of athletism that exists. season tickets is crazy only cause I'm not rich and i once had them on the second level for a year and didn't think it was worth the money but 7 or 8 games a year lower level center ice is phenomenal entertainment. my favorite thing to do. well worth hundred some dollars. second level id rather watch on tv. lower level completely different experience. its a beautiful thing.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
One of the only things that has remained the same since the beginning of the NHL is fans complaining about officiating.

Seems to me that the high cost of being a season ticket holder is the primary reason you're not paying for it this year, though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I was a season ticket holder years ago at the Spectrum. The cost for tickets,parking,tolls gas etc made me give it up. Now I just go to a few baseball and hockey games every year. I just kick back and watch my HD 52" with DVR so I can rewind and watch plays over and listen to the commentary. Pro sports are going to have to do something in the future to entice fans to go to the games. The regular joe and his family are screwed. I was reading that in Dallas it costs $75.00 to PARK for a cowboys game! I think they need to pipe in commentary during the games through out the stadium. I do not know the answer but something needs to be done. Prices go up and up while we are in a recession.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumbleBum7 View Post
Trying to sell me on a ticket package. Im sure I will get bashed by some here and told to find another sport or something because some people hate being told what they enjoy isn't what everyone else enjoys but...

I told them that this season I will not be purchasing tickets to any NHL game due to the NHL's inability to be consistent with both officiating/enforcing the rules on the ice as well as the NHL's lack of consistent discipline of the players.

I told them that I'm tired of the NHL unoffically changing the rules mid season. Such as how this past season out of no where and especially in the playoffs players weren't able to cross the blue line withing being nearly bear hugged. Combine that with the new strategy of everyone laying infront the the goalie and trying to block shots I simply refuse to pay to see the product that is on the ice. If anything I will sit at home, save both $ on tickets, gas, ridiculous parking prices and most of all my time.

To the bold, isn't that what sets our sport apart from others? The willingness of players to sacrifice themselves to stop a single shot from reaching the net? Players have lost careers and body parts on our team alone (Lappy, Thoreson) by laying it all on the line...literally.

That mixed with the bear hugging comment seems like bitterness of defensive teams becoming more successful last season. It's a catch-22, if you play a defensive system, then you trap, clutch-and-grab, and play a boring brand of hockey. If you're an aggressive offensive team, then your goaltending stats take a hit and goalies like MAF and Bryz get DESTROYED by fans when both are top 10-15 goalies in the league.

There will never be a sport which is considered unanimously perfect. You can say the same for everything in life, broadcasting, for instance. Fans are split on whether or not Doc Emerick is a good (great?) PxP guy, while professionals in the broadcasting business do NOTHING but praise him as the best. People have different tastes.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:34 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

The majority of professional level events are high way robbery.

I'd rather buy season tickets to the local AHL club for 1/4 of the price.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
The majority of professional level events are high way robbery.

I'd rather buy season tickets to the local AHL club for 1/4 of the price.
I had season tickets every year to watch the Firebirds here in Philly and it was really good hockey to watch and cheap!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

You can see better with the HDTVs anyway.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Flyers845

I'm going into my 6th year as a sth. I love going to the games. That's just me though

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
MsWoof

I've never had the desire to be a STH in any sport. It's expensive as hell and it also ties you down. Like others have said, the quality of TVs is amazing so I would rather watch at home. I go to a few OHL games a year and occasionally get tix to see the Flyers when they come to Toronto but that's it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:54 PM
flountown

I love my season tickets, you get to meet new people, and make friends you never would have met in the regular course of life. Also, I think hockey is the one sport with the biggest difference in TV/Attending. Not too mention, once playoffs roll around, there is nothing like attending a playoff game, and if the Flyers make it to the SCF, then I have guaranteed seats, and ~1/6th the value of what ticket sites and scalpers are asking. If my buddy and I plan it right, we see ~20 games + playoffs for about the price it would cost us if we went to 6-10 games and a playoff game or two.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Broad st phantom

If I could afford season tickets, or even a ticket package I would have no problem. Officiating is officiating, its never going to be perfect. I personally enjoy watching a good defensive game, and the game in general.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
So long as the officiating sucks the same amount and same way for both teams, the game is still the game. Granted, the changes in the way things are officiated doesn't effect teams evenly, but things can't always be fair.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Sucks, I really want season tickets. But they're an insane price.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

hockey like any other sport at the highest level as gotten way out of hand with what it cost to go a game. What are you looking at for a family of 4 now to go to a NHL game? 500-600 bucks a game?
As far as the officiating goes, when havent fans complained about the officiating. its our God given right to complain about the officiating as hockey fans. at any level.
should I include the on the last 2 sentances

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Flyers845

It's really expensive. My seats are in the last row up top though. So it's not to bad

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I am going to be a season ticket holder in 2013 despite agreeing with op's points. The change back to pre lockout play Really has dropped the quality of the game. I loved when buffalo destroyed us with speed and skill the year after the lockout. the lack of obstruction was a breathe of fresh air. Now were back worse than before the lockout.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumbleBum7 View Post

I'm glad to see someone actually willing to back up his views by not paying. A lot of time people complain but keep going to the games.

Regarding the quality of the product, I live in Alabama and since the NHL doesn't sign with ESPN (which makes me angry), I don't see any regular season games, so I can't judge the product.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
StumbleBum7

Thank you everyone for your oppinion. Just wanted to let people know how I felt.

Also most people hear keep bringing up the officiating. Its not the officials in regards to calling penaltys on some players/teams and not other that im complaining about like most people here seem to keep bringing up..

Rather its that as I stated. They put rules into the rulebook and told fans and players that this is how the game will be played/enforced now. Then gradually we have fallen back into clutching and grabbing and just lack of excitement hockey. It says a lot I feel when down the stretch of the season their were so many realllly low scoring games. The fact that the kings among other teams lost numerous 1-0 games sickens me. Yess I like a good defensive battle. However I don't feel hockey is a sport that is meant to have so many 1-0 shutouts... You can say the goalies got better, or players have learned. But in reality I believe thats just an excuse.

I do believe It is the rules and the fact that players equipment has gotten bigger, they have gotten bigger/stronger/faster and the NHL really hasn't done anything to adress these issues on the NHL size ice. They started to with calling lots of clutching/grabbing after the lockout but it has been legalized again albeit unofficially.

Anyways

/rant

Old
07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I was a season ticket holder years ago at the Spectrum. The cost for tickets,parking,tolls gas etc made me give it up. Now I just go to a few baseball and hockey games every year. I just kick back and watch my HD 52" with DVR so I can rewind and watch plays over and listen to the commentary. Pro sports are going to have to do something in the future to entice fans to go to the games. The regular joe and his family are screwed. I was reading that in Dallas it costs $75.00 to PARK for a cowboys game! I think they need to pipe in commentary during the games through out the stadium. I do not know the answer but something needs to be done. Prices go up and up while we are in a recession.
the biggest deterrent for me is the traffic. I spend all week sitting in traffic for work. very very hard to get me to do it at 10pm at night.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:43 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
the product on the ice, especially for the first 50 games of the season, is garbage. Even after that you never know what you're going to get

I would never purchase season teacks (if I actually had the opportunity)
Has over 12,000 posts on a hockey forum since 2004, says half the year of a hockey season and beyond is garbage and wouldn't get season tickets even if he has the money to do so.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote