HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part IX): Generic Thread Title Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I think he's talking about 2nd line centers.

Ribeiro
McDonald
Zajac
Roy
Koivu
Fisher
Antropov
Weiss

But do any of those names really strike you hard? Not for me.
Zajac and Koivu. I've given up on Weiss. The first two will be overpaid. I imagine minnesota will work hard to keep koivu for obvious reasons.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Sharks are re-signing Vlasic

Quote:
News coming from ‪#sjsharks‬ today beyond affiliation with ECHL Bulls. Best educated guess? Contract extension for Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
https://twitter.com/PollakOnSharks/s...30439307640832

Quote:
Know that has been on the to-do list for ‪#sjsharks‬ as the price of UFA d-men skyrocketed. Vlasic entering final year of contract at $3.1M
https://twitter.com/PollakOnSharks/s...30889415172096

This is the problem with waiting for the free agency market in 2013,the players will be re-signed by then. More players will re-sign.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
right back at you. there is no cut an paste answer for every player
in the league. he's only 28. he's a top 10 player in the league when playing with other talented players. Richards would be a perfect compliment.
NikC - that isn't a factual statement. It is an educated opinion but there isn't any evidence to support this.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
For once I agree with you bern, and before I present my opinion I want to say for the record I'm not for trading Stepan. Now then, his skating is poor, he needs to bulk and toughen up, he stinks on face offs, and his shot isn't so great. He has great iq, great vision, and should be a consistent 20 goal 60 point second line center
Right on the money guys. Stepan will top out at maybe 20 goals/40 or so assists for 60+ points. He absolutely needs to be surrounded by big bodied productive players in order for him to be effective. The reason Howsam doesn't want Stepan is because Columbus doesn't have any productive wings for Stepan to play with there(once Nash is gone) and so Stepan wouldn't be much of a factor in Columbus's lineup.

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Koivu signed a long term deal 2 years ago

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Zajac and Koivu. I've given up on Weiss. The first two will be overpaid. I imagine minnesota will work hard to keep koivu for obvious reasons.
Saku, not Mikko

Old
07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
I think he's talking about 2nd line centers.

Ribeiro
McDonald
Zajac
Roy
Koivu
Fisher
Antropov
Weiss

But do any of those names really strike you hard? Not for me.
The only one is Zajac, and I think he's going to command big money, or stay in New Jersey (depending on their finances).

Maybe Fisher or Weiss too, but I don't think they'll be available.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sather tried getting Nash around the time they showed signs of a 2nd half wear. They had trouble scoring and were in danger of falling as far down as 5th or 6th.

That's why the price was so high.

No way he trades Miller, Erixon and Dubinsky for him now. If Sather trades for Nash it won't cost anything close to what he offered back in February.

Rangers aren't desperate in July 2012. Everything worked out fine. Rangers lost the CF on a late 3rd pd goal by a 4th line and an OT goal.

Old
OverTheCap

There are no second line centers available via free agency this year, so if Sather did have one lined up, it would have to be via trade. So not only would they have to trade assets for Nash, but then they would have to trade even more assets to replace Stepan. Too much turnover and creating holes where they previously did not exist.

Old
Lexus Dog

Step can't skate, shoot, win faceoffs, is small and weak...but he'll still have more points than Nash next season lol

Old
07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
A 22 year old center who keeps improving. Could put up 60 points next year. You want a quick fix. Stop being short sighted.

This is my feeling as well.

Nash is overrated. He has an albatross of a contract, the assets going the other way will create more holes. I do not subscrbe to the Columbus theory. Aaron Portzline stated on his WFAN interview that he would thrive here because he wouldn't be "the man" which I say is not a good thing. When our captain and stud goalie are up in 2 years, don't you think that they are going to look at Nash's salary as a guideline? That is why this move needs to be taken seriously and why I hope, in the end, the Rangers pass. (I apologize as this was discussed yesterday and I am being redundant, I don't expect some of the newer posters to read through the entire thread).

NHL Stats Last 3 seasons

This site is pretty neat. You can breakdown cumulative stats over various periods of time. You will be surprised how Nash actually ranks. I won't force feed my opinion but if you poke around on the site and break down the numbers, you can draw your own conclusions.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
The point is that they all have negatives on their trade values. In Hossa's and Kovalchuk's cases, it was that they were rentals. In Heatley's case, it was his NTC and the publicity of his trade demand. In Nash's case, it's the size of his contract and his NMC. These negatives tend to balance out. So when you're talking about 3 players with better numbers and reputations on the ice versus what we currently see with Nash, he should be getting less than those players got.
Exactly. The people who think it's great that a guy with three straight years of goal and point decline and a full NMC at 7.8 per are really special.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
The point is that they all have negatives on their trade values. In Hossa's and Kovalchuk's cases, it was that they were rentals. In Heatley's case, it was his NTC and the publicity of his trade demand. In Nash's case, it's the size of his contract and his NMC. These negatives tend to balance out. So when you're talking about 3 players with better numbers and reputations on the ice versus what we currently see with Nash, he should be getting less than those players got.
In this case, I don't think they come close to balancing out.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Is Evander Kane an RFA right now?

Old
07-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
You call it one thing, we call it something else. Hes not going to be a star player like Nash. Complete no brainer for now AND the next 5 years.
That's saying it like it is. Unless Stepan magically becomes a much better skater and increases his strength and stamina a whole lot, his game will definitely plateau.

A team full of homegrown players may be well and good for some people around here but it isn't realistic. We can't be hoarding these guys like they're collectible gold coins or something!

Old
07-11-2012, 03:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Nash isn't Mike Gartner or Henry Aaron. You don't know what you're going to get.

Gartner scored 40 a year everwhere he went. He almost scored 50 playing with Phil Bourque and Sarge and Leetch out over half a season.

Remember Chris Higgins? All the stopped breakaways? All the posts? All the fanned shots with open nets?

That's what Nash was the last two seasons. Chances aplenty with declining results.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Dog View Post
Step can't skate, shoot, win faceoffs, is small and weak...but he'll still have more points than Nash next season lol
I'll take that bet everyday and twice on sundays.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:31 PM
drewcon40

The more I think about this trade, the more I wonder why Howson's demands are so high. If the Rangers are willing to take Nash's contract off their hands, it is Sather who should be demanding extra picks and prospects. If Howson throws in next years 1st and Ryan Johansen for the inconvenience of Rick Nash, I'd consider it.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Nash isn't Mike Gartner or Henry Aaron. You don't know what you're going to get.

Gartner scored 40 a year everwhere he went. He almost scored 50 playing with Phil Bourque and Sarge and Leetch out over half a season.

Remember Chris Higgins? All the stopped breakaways? All the posts? All the fanned shots with open nets?

That's what Nash was the last two seasons. Chances aplenty with declining results.
If we get Nash, I sure as hell hope its before training camp. I think a big reason why he has declined a bit, is that his conditioning has slipped.

I really don't want him as a mid season trade.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Is Evander Kane an RFA right now?
Yes he is.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yes he is.
Got to admit, I would like him more than Nash or Ryan. I would assume that trading for him would be astronomical.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

Pretty impressive numbers considering all that. Think about how much he'll produce when he re-discovers his finishing game!

Old
07-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Got to admit, I would like him more than Nash or Ryan. I would assume that trading for him would be astronomical.
Most people would like him more than Nash or Ryan, but you're right, he'll cost quite a bit. However, a team might be more inclined to crack open the piggy-bank given his age and contract status.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:37 PM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Pretty impressive numbers considering all that. Think about how much he'll produce when he re-discovers his finishing game!
Columbus will benefit greatly.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Most people would like him more than Nash or Ryan, but you're right, he'll cost quite a bit. However, a team might be more inclined to crack open the piggy-bank given his age and contract status.
The question is: What does Winnipeg need or want?

Closed Thread