HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Visiting Slovenia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2011, 04:35 PM
  #1
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Visiting Slovenia

I'm posting this here instead of the Lounge or whatever, because I know the Slovene posters on HF visit the Kings board; hopefully it's appropriate and doesn't get moved. I would normally ask people I work with from the countries I would like to visit, but there's no one at work from any of the former Yugoslav countries.

So, I'm in the initial planning stages for a couple motorcycle trips, one being down through the German and Austrian Eastern Alps through the Julian Alps then down through Slovenia and into Croatia. I was looking at stopping in Bled, Ljubljana (still can't figure out how to pronounce that properly), and then possibly Zadar for a few days on the beach before heading back.

Is there anything else I should see in Slovenia besides Triglav and Ljubljana? I was also thinking that, since I'm down there, I could go through the rest of the former Yugoslav countries as well. See Belgrade, Sarajevo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Kosovo, any advice on that?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:46 PM
  #2
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
I'm posting this here instead of the Lounge or whatever, because I know the Slovene posters on HF visit the Kings board; hopefully it's appropriate and doesn't get moved. I would normally ask people I work with from the countries I would like to visit, but there's no one at work from any of the former Yugoslav countries.

So, I'm in the initial planning stages for a couple motorcycle trips, one being down through the German and Austrian Eastern Alps through the Julian Alps then down through Slovenia and into Croatia. I was looking at stopping in Bled, Ljubljana (still can't figure out how to pronounce that properly), and then possibly Zadar for a few days on the beach before heading back.

Is there anything else I should see in Slovenia besides Triglav and Ljubljana? I was also thinking that, since I'm down there, I could go through the rest of the former Yugoslav countries as well. See Belgrade, Sarajevo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Kosovo, any advice on that?
I would recommend Postojnska jama, just outside Ljubljana, some fantastic caves and absolutely something worth seeing. But be aware that it is very cold in the caves.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:01 PM
  #3
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
I would recommend Postojnska jama, just outside Ljubljana, some fantastic caves and absolutely something worth seeing. But be aware that it is very cold in the caves.
20,570 meters long? Holy ****, that definitely looks like something I would like to see, thanks. I went through Neptune's Grotto when I went to Sardinia, but it sounds like that doesn't compare. Looks like there's a pretty sweet castle there too.

Also, I was thinking about doing this in mid-April, how do you think that would be weather-wise?

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
  #4
TheSlovenian
Registered User
 
TheSlovenian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ljubljana
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
Bled is like a must see in Slovenia (all Triglav national park is a must see also), then Postojnska jama (Postojna cave), Škocjanske jame (Škocjan Caves - also in UNESCO world heritage). Ljubljana is also very beautifull and "small" capital city (I am not being biased just because I live here ), just a lot to see. If you have time, you could also visit Predjama castle (George R.R. Martin was there in June) which is near Postojna. Need more info?

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:12 PM
  #5
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
20,570 meters long? Holy ****, that definitely looks like something I would like to see, thanks. Looks like there's a pretty sweet castle there too.

Also, I was thinking about doing this in mid-April, how do you think that would be weather-wise?
I am mostly familiar with the weather in Sweden since I live here, and April here is a 50/50 windy and cold as hell and warm and windy. But down there I don't know. Locals should be answering that one. Don't miss Ljubljana castle there are some surprises at that place when you mix old and modern. You will see what i mean when you get there.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:12 PM
  #6
Albi
Registered User
 
Albi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lavena - Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,625
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
I'm from Milan, but I often go to Slovenia for business and trust me, if you go there, you must ride through the Triglav valley. That place is Heaven on earth, you can't miss it.

On a side note, instead of Germany and Austria, I suggest you to think about a ride in Tuscany and/or on the Dolomites (Brad Pitt and George Clooney already made a few trips with their bikes there).

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:33 PM
  #7
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
Bled is like a must see in Slovenia (all Triglav national park is a must see also), then Postojnska jama (Postojna cave), Škocjanske jame (Škocjan Caves - also in UNESCO world heritage). Ljubljana is also very beautifull and "small" capital city (I am not being biased just because I live here ), just a lot to see. If you have time, you could also visit Predjama castle (George R.R. Martin was there in June) which is near Postojna. Need more info?
Damn, you guys have a lot of sweet caves I see. I enjoy kind of doing "on the fly" trips on the bike, meaning I'll just get a map/talk to locals and look for interesting stuff, so anything you give me is good. How do you think the weather in April would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
I am mostly familiar with the weather in Sweden since I live here, and April here is a 50/50 windy and cold as hell and warm and windy. But down there I don't know. Locals should be answering that one. Don't miss Ljubljana castle there are some surprises at that place when you mix old and modern. You will see what i mean when you get there.
Right, I met you in Stockholm this year, I forgot that you live in Sweden. I definitely enjoy visiting castles, so I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
I'm from Milan, but I often go to Slovenia for business and trust me, if you go there, you must ride through the Triglav valley. That place is Heaven on earth, you can't miss it.

On a side note, instead of Germany and Austria, I suggest you to think about a ride in Tuscany and/or on the Dolomites (Brad Pitt and George Clooney already made a few trips with their bikes there).
I'm coming down from Belgium, so as good as Tuscany and the Dolomites sound, Germany and Austria are really just kind of on the way. Plus, I do kind of want to see the Eagle's Nest near Berchtesgaden. Triglav valley is definitely in the plan though.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:37 PM
  #8
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,115
vCash: 500
April and May you have days where it can change on the fly, you could go from a big storm to sunny in 20 minutes. Those are pretty much the only two months where you have weather changing on the fly. The usual scenario is to wake up into a sunny day then have a short storm come out of nowhere in the late afternoon then it goes back to being sunny. Other than that mid-April should be around 15 degrees Celsius. It's still possible it gets cold sometimes in the morning around 5 or so, but it's also possible you will have some warm days hitting 20. Either way I suggest you bring an umbrella with you.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:44 PM
  #9
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
April and May you have days where it can change on the fly, you could go from a big storm to sunny in 20 minutes. Those are pretty much the only two months where you have weather changing on the fly. The usual scenario is to wake up into a sunny day then have a short storm come out of nowhere in the late afternoon then it goes back to being sunny. Other than that mid-April should be around 15 degrees Celsius. It's still possible it gets cold sometimes in the morning around 5 or so, but it's also possible you will have some warm days hitting 20. Either way I suggest you bring an umbrella with you.
Hmm, that kind of sounds like what I had when I rode through Normandy this June, which was a bit of of a pain with the incredibly unpredictable weather on the bike. The other trip I was thinking about was through Portugal and Spain, maybe I can swap them and do Slovenia/Croatia in June/July instead.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
  #10
butteryslugz
L.A. Kings Fan
 
butteryslugz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: los angeles, ca
Country: United States
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Take a pic of the cave kopi grew up in!

butteryslugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:33 AM
  #11
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post



Right, I met you in Stockholm this year, I forgot that you live in Sweden. I definitely enjoy visiting castles, so I'll check it out.
WTF??? We met?? LOL I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that. My teflon memory strikes again. I enjoyed the meeting in Stockholm so I feel a bit like an ass right now for not recalling but it all starts to come back now. Regarding the pic's and videos that I promised to post, I couldn't since the royal half is always deleting himself from his pic's and he is all over the place on my pic's so I didn't want to reveal to the world that he is actually Clark Kent.

He does not want to be seen I guess, so who am I to **** that up.

Weather; You should definitely go in June and July, it did sound on nki that they have the same weather as we (Sweden) have in April. I guess you were planing to get up to the castle in Bled and I recommend you drive your bike as far as it goes or you will be walking uphill for 30 minutes before getting there and if you are not fit that is a bit though in summer time if you decide for June/July. The walk on the other side of it is refreshing but be prepared.

Edit 40 went to 30.


Last edited by alpa: 12-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.
alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 01:56 AM
  #12
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
WTF??? We met?? LOL I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that. My teflon memory strikes again. I enjoyed the meeting in Stockholm so I feel a bit like an ass right now for not recalling but it all starts to come back now. Regarding the pic's and videos that I promised to post, I couldn't since the royal half is always deleting himself from his pic's and he is all over the place on my pic's so I didn't want to reveal to the world that he is actually Clark Kent.

He does not want to be seen I guess, so who am I to **** that up.

Weather; You should definitely go in June and July, it did sound on nki that they have the same weather as we (Sweden) have in April. I guess you were planing to get up to the castle in Bled and I recommend you drive your bike as far as it goes or you will be walking uphill for 30 minutes before getting there and if you are not fit that is a bit though in summer time if you decide for June/July. The walk on the other side of it is refreshing but be prepared.

Edit 40 went to 30.
Haha, don't worry about it, I'm forgettable and don't post that much anyway.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:12 AM
  #13
likid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maribor
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
If you are riding motorbike, then June/July is must for you. You can expect temperatures over 30 degree C and almost no rain at all in this two months.

Slovenia is mostly known by their nature. Over 50% of the land is covered with forests and from SW to NE (on largest diagonal of the country) is cca. 330 km of driving.

W of the country is coastal part, NW are Alps, central part of the country is filled with hills and valleys and E part of the country is flat land filled with fields.

Here is one film shoving about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ougQf...eature=related

What to see it was already described in previous posts:

- Postonska cave is probably the most known destination. At the start you go with smll train through caves few km, then you have guided tour by walking cca. 3 km through different caves and at the end you drive back (not the same route) with train.
- Triglav valley because of it's natural beauty
- Bled
- Ljubljana (very clean and nice capital)
- if you go to the east side of the country, then you must stop in Maribor (second largest city), here is also the oldest wineyard in the world in the center of the city (over 400 years old). This part of the country is known for wineyards hills with many good points to stop and taste local wine.
- I can also recomend Logarska valley (one of the most picturesque valley in Slovenia), that can be reached on a way between Ljubljana and Maribor

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:21 AM
  #14
TheSlovenian
Registered User
 
TheSlovenian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ljubljana
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
I agree with everything about the weather. June/July is very friendly weather, especially for bikers (usually almost no rain for most of the summer). April could be rainy and not so warm. Logarska valley is besides Triglav valley probably the most beautiful place in Slovenia. And if you will go to Triglav national park and that part of Slovenia you should visit (if you have time):As you can see, there is a lot to do just in Triglav national park. I advise you to visit THIS web page for more other info.


Last edited by TheSlovenian: 12-15-2011 at 10:20 AM.
TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:22 PM
  #15
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
You guys are doing a hell of a good job promoting Slovenija. Good work.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
  #16
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,783
vCash: 500
I second Bled. Beautiful place. Wish I'd had more time to explore the country.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:49 AM
  #17
TheSlovenian
Registered User
 
TheSlovenian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ljubljana
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
10 reasons to travel to Ljubljana.

Video about Bled.

Video about Postojna Cave.


Last edited by TheSlovenian: 12-16-2011 at 05:15 AM.
TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
  #18
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:14 AM
  #19
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,747
vCash: 500
Hey FootKnight, I know I'm a little late to the party, but I'll take any opportunity I can to gush about my experiences in Slovenia - in 2007 I spent about five weeks in Slovenia and Croatia, as well as Belgrade and Sarajevo.

Nobody has made mention of the Slovenian coast (all eleven feet of it ). My first stop in Slovenia was Piran, set on a peninsula jutting into the Adriatic - there isn't a ton to do there, but it's impossibly beautiful. Don't come back without having watched the sunset from the top of the town walls - it's an experience that borders on life-affirming.

Bled seems to be getting a lot of love, but I found myself less than enamoured with it (even though a picture of Lake Bled is what started my infatuation with that part of the world). It's worth a day or two for a walk around the lake, but I found it a little tacky with the development right on the waterfront. For a more natural setting, you'll like Lake Bohinj better.

I'm sure you've done your homework on Ljubljana, so I can't really add much - all you need to know is that it's exactly as charming as you're expecting it to be

It might be worth your while to check out the eastern part of the country - I took a day trip to Maribor and Ptuj (both were beautiful, but if you have to choose, go with the latter. I rather liked the rustic-medieval feel that Ptuj offered). I think it's worth it just for the scenery along the way - the Slovenian countryside is beautiful, and it's still close enough that you can be back in Ljubljana in time for a late dinner if you don't want to change hotels.

Belgrade and Sarajevo are not to be missed if you can squeeze them in - Belgrade makes an awful first impression: the city centre is dirty and reeks of car fumes, but if you give it a chance you'll find a beautiful and bustling city with a lively pedestrian zone just north of the city centre. Sarajevo still has visible scars from the Seige, but they're getting back on their feet, and it's a very unique city in a gorgeous natural setting, flanked by rugged hills on three sides. Pro-tip: the hills to the east offer some spectacular views of the valley and the city - climb up there around sunset and listen to the call to prayer emanating from the loudspeakers of dozens of mosques simultaneously, and echoing through the valley below you.


Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 04-04-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:05 PM
  #20
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Thanks to the advice in this thread, I moved this trip to July, so it's not too late, Buck.

After likid had recommended Maribor, I looked up more about the eastern part of Slovenia and realized I had overestimated the size of the country when first thinking about the trip. I figured I could swing through the eastern part on the way back maybe, but since Maribor and Ptuj are only about an hour and a half away, I think that sounds like a really nice day trip from Ljubljana instead, as you did it.

I might not be able to take enough time off to swing through Belgrade and Sarajevo, but I'll know more as we get closer to July and am still considering trying. After reading some of the stuff TheSlovenian linked, I was thinking about maybe spending a bit more time in Slovenia than I had originally planned as well.

Thanks for the post!

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:56 PM
  #21
likid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maribor
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
He, he. Maribor and Ptuj are 22km apart or 15 min drive on highway. From Ljubljana to Maribor is cca. 130 km distance or around 1 hour drive on higway.

Our country is realy small. From top NE part of SLO till SW coastal part is good 300 km or around 3 hours to drive on highway.

likid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
  #22
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
There's a thunderstorm raging in Bled right now, so I figured I'd post while waiting for it to clear up.

Got here yesterday and did the tourist bits, going to the island and castle and swimming in the lake. Road the motorcycle all over Triglav National Park all day today, absolutely beautiful area with some roads with some serious hairpins, especially going South into the park from Kranjska Gora.

Heading to Ljubljana tomorrow.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:30 PM
  #23
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
There's a thunderstorm raging in Bled right now, so I figured I'd post while waiting for it to clear up.

Got here yesterday and did the tourist bits, going to the island and castle and swimming in the lake. Road the motorcycle all over Triglav National Park all day today, absolutely beautiful area with some roads with some serious hairpins, especially going South into the park from Kranjska Gora.

Heading to Ljubljana tomorrow.
I trust you're taking pics? If you put them on Flickr ro something you will share, right?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
  #24
FootKnight
This ****ing team
 
FootKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I trust you're taking pics? If you put them on Flickr ro something you will share, right?
I don't have a Flickr account or anything, but yeah, I'll post some pictures when I get back.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:38 PM
  #25
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator
 
saintsnsoldiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Logan, Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Keep the post coming, thinking about Ljubljana for a trip. I have a 12 year old who playes AA Peewees. How is the hockey over there, can we billet my son over there need to look into that .... Looks like a great place to live.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.