HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
dlam

vCash: 500
One thing that bothers me is when I am set up with wide open net at my off wing and ready for a one timer

I get either a fast pass, great ,but it's he snaps a heavy puck to me and I have to stop it before shooting.
Or
I get a really slow pass , it floats and takes forever to get to me , I can still one time but the goalie is in position so what's the point? I stop the puck.

can't anyone just do a medium pace sweep pass?
or am i asking too much?

Old
06-12-2012, 10:25 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Learn to tip that fast one in. If you're standing on the other side of the net, you shouldn't need to actually take a shot in many cases, you just angle your stick and let the puck bank off of it.

But talk to your teammates if you have a regular line and let them know what you're looking for.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Frankie Spankie

New complaint! Being a rink's best paying customer and having your schedule bumped around for a once a year month-long tournament...

We normally play Thursday nights for back to back hours. We've been there for probably 4 years now and have always paid on time. Time and time again, we get screwed over and be pushed back for other teams or tournaments that rarely play there. The past 3 weeks, we've been playing on Friday night and this week we played on Wednesday night. All 4 games not on a Thursday have had maybe 7-8 guys show up because it doesn't fit in other people's schedules. Finally going back to our regular schedule next week, we should finally have full teams again.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:41 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post
I guess that I am in a good situation. I play in a beer league pick up. Most of the players are the same from week to week and we all know each other and we all get along. The guy that runs the league sets up the lines and positions. The first line has the best players and well I am on the 2nd line. It is great that way, because you are playing with/against similar talent for the most part.

The manager runs an audio soundtrack that has a soft buzzer at 90 seconds then a hard buzzer at 120 seconds. So at 120 you have to come off and everyone follows the rules except for one guy that I think is partially deaf.

I had a 5 year hiatus from ice and played roller, so when I started ice again it took a while to get my balance back and all of the guys would be respectful and let me and other new players skate with some room.

After the games we drink beer and eat grilled sausages in the parking lot until about 1:30-2:00 am.

Good times.
That sounds like fun!

Old
06-13-2012, 11:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Chalk-talk sessions with a group of brand new D-level players. Totally worth everyone's time.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:05 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Please don't tell me you're a ringer at Ice604
Haha that made me chuckle.

Ice604, watched by many a pro scout... on their way to the Thirsty Penguin.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:16 PM
OpenIceHit42

Had to fall back on this thread after what happened in our roller game today...

Goalie comes skating out and dives for a puck to knock it away from our guy (otherwise he's in alone) and as our guy is poking for the puck his stick gets lodged in the goalies blocker somehow, our guy let's go of his stick only to have the goalie go ape *****. The goalie gets up, starts screaming at our guy who goes back to get his stick, goalie takes a swing with his blocker on at our guy and connects, our guy takes off his helmet and gloves and they square off trading blows. Needless to say the goalie ended up on the ground and bloodied. I have never seen anything like that before.

After the penalties were sorted both players were tossed, the other teams bench starts to go nutty because their goalie was ejected. I guess they figured they would just give him a 2min penalty or a 5min major and have someone else serve it?

Oh the joy of beer league summer hockey...

Old
07-02-2012, 05:46 AM
SCritical

You know what I don't like to see?

A girl chasing one of my wingers into the corner and elbows him into the boards, comes into the crease towards me, goes for the crosscheck, spots my ponytail and bolts behind the net!

If you're a girl who will only hit male players, you're someone who only hits people who can't hit back. And that makes you a coward.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
ThisAintBaseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
If you're a girl who will only hit male players, you're someone who only hits people who can't hit back. And that makes you a coward.
This.

There's a grown woman and mother in our beer league who hits and chirps knowing that we men can't retaliate.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:57 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisAintBaseball View Post
This.

There's a grown woman and mother in our beer league who hits and chirps knowing that we men can't retaliate.
Have been discussed before. Tell her she's fat. Even if she's not.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
This.

Score on her team and taunt her. If she plays too reckless keep your head up, and when dashing for the puck near boards, make sure you angle her off so she can't throw your head into the boards.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:49 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
I approve of this. Nothing wrong with chirping a girl, is there?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
newfr4u

Quote:
This.

tell her to get back in the kitchen and make you a sandwich. that always gets them going. at least until they learn that they can just call you gay and move on.

god, hockey is great. everything goes on the ice.

ETA: obviously just kidding. chirping is an art. don't attempt it unless you are an artist.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Even better... tell her she's as fat as she's ugly

Old
07-06-2012, 04:34 PM
OpenIceHit42

There's a team in the roller league that I'm playing in this summer and their captain has roster checked EVERY team in this league and has failed every single time.

He roster checked us last weekend because we had a different goalie, the rink manager laughed and said "seriously, your going to roster check a goalie because theirs couldn't make the game?"

Old
07-11-2012, 02:30 PM
SkateThroughIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I got kicked off my beer league team for not being good enough last year even though I was going through some health issues. Been on the team for nearly 10 years. So awesome...
That's just low...10 years.

Speaking of boards though. Theres a rink that has boards that are so thin they **** you getting over them. Not sure if I'm allowed to say ****, but I've seen people post ass....so...

Old
07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Honestly I haven't come across women who are both good at hockey AND will hit/cheapshot in my league. All the good female players are pretty clean and all the ones who cheap shot pretty much suck so I go around them. If you cheap shot me a couple times though I will try and line you up though.

Though there was a girl on my team who would always seem to start crap with other girls only and then both sides would be yelling at each other and mouthing off all game.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Even better... tell her she's as fat as she's ugly
Somewhat related - one of the most fun games of my life involved playing against my older sister. She was always a bit of a...well, a brute to me. So I took advantage of the opportunity to get even wherever I could.

We would line up as opposing wingers for the faceoff. I got my stick between her legs and gave her a can opener, sending her sprawling to the ice. One ref with his back to us, didn't notice.

We'd get to the front of the net and she'd start chirping me. I gently headbutted her helmet with mine, causing her to snap and punch me...earning her a penalty from the ref. The ref came over to warn me about the headbutt, I told him she was my sister. He laughed and said forget about it then.

I think she tried bodychecking me five or six times. I normally just avoid checks, but I just squared myself and sent her flying off each time.

Good memories. Granted, probably not the best strategy to use on any woman who isn't your sister.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I had a 2 on 1 break with a guy who instead of passing decided it was a better idea to shoot from behind the blue line.

Same guy different game...
I had jumped out of the penalty box without there D realizing it and stood at the opposing blueline alone, my buddy takes it from our blue line and flies right by without even thinking about a pass, I was seriously thinking about giving him a poke check on his way by.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
I had a 2 on 1 break with a guy who instead of passing decided it was a better idea to shoot from behind the blue line.

Same guy different game...
I had jumped out of the penalty box without there D realizing it and stood at the opposing blueline alone, my buddy takes it from our blue line and flies right by without even thinking about a pass, I was seriously thinking about giving him a poke check on his way by.
I have seen this sort of thing many times and I have seen it actually be part of the other players planned play. They don't intend to pass it to you.

Youtube and whatever glorifies the end to end rush where Crosby jumps between defenseman and Ovechkin slides along his back. Many players think this is how the game is supposed to be played.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Somewhat related - one of the most fun games of my life involved playing against my older sister. She was always a bit of a...well, a brute to me. So I took advantage of the opportunity to get even wherever I could.

We would line up as opposing wingers for the faceoff. I got my stick between her legs and gave her a can opener, sending her sprawling to the ice. One ref with his back to us, didn't notice.

We'd get to the front of the net and she'd start chirping me. I gently headbutted her helmet with mine, causing her to snap and punch me...earning her a penalty from the ref. The ref came over to warn me about the headbutt, I told him she was my sister. He laughed and said forget about it then.

I think she tried bodychecking me five or six times. I normally just avoid checks, but I just squared myself and sent her flying off each time.

Good memories. Granted, probably not the best strategy to use on any woman who isn't your sister.
that's pretty good

Old
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
esidebill

An older guy busting my ass trying to hip check me in open ice. Stood him up and had him on the ice. Just because I'm 6'5 doesn't mean I'm a target for checking

Old
07-12-2012, 01:45 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
guy shot the puck right into me in the high slot...took a bounce here and there and i couldnt really get a handle on it. i was one on one with the goalie and couldnt sneak it through his 5 hole. SO MAD

Old
07-12-2012, 02:45 AM
SkateThroughIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Honestly I haven't come across women who are both good at hockey AND will hit/cheapshot in my league. All the good female players are pretty clean and all the ones who cheap shot pretty much suck so I go around them. If you cheap shot me a couple times though I will try and line you up though.

Though there was a girl on my team who would always seem to start crap with other girls only and then both sides would be yelling at each other and mouthing off all game.
I played with this girl who put most of the beer leaguers to shame skill wise. But I saw her on the face off take her stick and jab it up between our centermans legs. No call. Then he starts chirping at her and she jabs him in the head 5-7 times. He was given a penalty. She got nothing.

Old
07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

Awesome story

Closed Thread