HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Robinson new Associate Coach w/ SJ Sharks

Old
07-10-2012, 10:59 AM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't think his agent would agree to spew BS on the air in a 10 minute interview about his best friend but hey, you can believe what you want.

When it'll be available, I'll try and find it so everyone can listen to it. It's pretty clear he and Larry were dead set on joining the Habs and when he says "The Habs just had to send us the paper work and Larry would've signed that contract in a fraction of second" or "Where were the Canadiens on Larry's list of priorities... at the top, no question about it", I doubt he's trying to cover something up.
Oh I agree that he wanted to go to MTL first and foremost.

I dunno if I buy that the next chapter was just SJ throwing a contract and him saying hell ya gimme that contract and a job! An unemployed man on the street might do that, but most people probs won't do that. Maybe he was keeping the story short but I'd like to believe Larry wasn't feeding us BS either.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ I also want to believe that no BS was thrown our way from Larry either.

And I think that is easier to believe than Zach.

Hell, I'd believe the sky was green before I'd believe Zach, anyway.....

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
I don't think his agent would agree to spew BS on the air in a 10 minute interview about his best friend but hey, you can believe what you want.

When it'll be available, I'll try and find it so everyone can listen to it. It's pretty clear he and Larry were dead set on joining the Habs and when he says "The Habs just had to send us the paper work and Larry would've signed that contract in a fraction of second" or "Where were the Canadiens on Larry's list of priorities... at the top, no question about it", I doubt he's trying to cover something up.
I believe Robinson over his agent.

team 990, hot garbage on the air. Sounds like ego soothing to a Mtl fanbase so that the legend is looked at funny when he trots back into town.

His agent only said it a month or so before the season ended to various media outlet that there was a Mutual interest.

GhostofKenKlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
The thing I'm most concerned about is how this will impact Larsson's development.

Too bad Larry couldn't turn into The Force like Obi-Wan did, so he could stay with Adam forever.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
I believe Robinson over his agent.

team 990, hot garbage on the air. Sounds like ego soothing to a Mtl fanbase so that the legend is looked at funny when he trots back into town.

His agent only said it a month or so before the season ended to various media outlet that there was a Mutual interest.
So TG can say about anything and everyone will eat up his tweets like it's the best dish in town but when someone's agent states facts on live radio, we should second guess him

I guess certain poster will believe whatever or whoever... as long as it's to their advantage I guess. Larry Robinson is one of the classiest guys in hockey and he decided to take the high road instead of throwing the Habs under the bus. I can't think of the last time Larry was involved in some sort of "scandal" and by giving the "familly excuse", he just threw the attention elsewhere, just like he's been doing his entire career.

Edit: The interview was done today around 10h45 am, not a month ago.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:58 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
So TG can say about anything and everyone will eat up his tweets like it's the best dish in town but when someone's agent states facts on live radio, we should second guess him

I guess certain poster will believe whatever or whoever... as long as it's to their advantage I guess. Larry Robinson is one of the classiest guys in hockey and he decided to take the high road instead of throwing the Habs under the bus. I can't think of the last time Larry was involved in some sort of "scandal" and by giving the "familly excuse", he just threw the attention elsewhere, just like he's been doing his entire career.

TG is quoting the Robinson himself not speculating. He gave specific reasons why. But typical of you, you like to look for more, like the devils situation in this matter as well.

His agent told TSN a few months back that there was mutual interest. They may of had a conversation and Robinson decided it wasn't a good fit.

What does Robinson owe the Canadians? Nothing that's what. They screwed him over by retiring his jersey long after they should of. He even said it didn't mean much to him as it would of when his folks were still alive.

His agent was probably out there to soothe Habs fans egos in the matter.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:58 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

>Montreal Sports Radio

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
>Montreal Sports Radio

Worst thing ever. The hack hosts still refer to the Devils as playing in the swamp.

The host that conducted the interview is a full blown Italian with a lame off the boat twang to his delivery he speaks of how the Canadiens always have the Mal Olyko on them. I'm suprised he doesn't do interviews with a mouth full of Super sod to prove how Italian he really is.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:59 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I'm ****ing shocked that people would downplay Larry's agent and personnal best friend as if it was Eklund that came up with this nonesense.

It's pretty remarkable that after what Parise said to our fanbase, that some of you would still believe what ever comes out of a players/coaches mouth. I guess some of you will never learn.

I'm also convinced that if his agent would've said that Robinson would've loved to stay with the Devils but for reasons he can't say, he had to take the 2nd best offer on the table, I would've been acclaimed and praised for that solid bit of info. I'm certain there would've been a mass of posters lining up to hear what he had to say and would beg for a link

Eklund comes up with a rumour about Semin... let's eat it up like it's hot fudge ice cream. Larry's agent talks about what really went down, wich doesn't really put us in solid position... let's crap on the guy.

CLASSIC !!!

Old
07-10-2012, 05:06 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:

Not sure what TG has to do with any of this.

He is OUR beat reporter, so yes "everyone will eat up his tweets like it's the best dish in town".

Well... true if you remove all the unnecessary obnoxiousness from that statement and get to the underlying reality that we Devils fans do indeed look to him to confirm rumors and verify team and player statements, cut through the chatter and deliver us the hard facts (as is his job -- which he does pretty well.)

And, yes, "want to spend more time with my family" is the oldest cliche response in sports history when somebody is fired or did not get the job they wanted. And rarely, if ever, is the true deciding factor (minus one Scott Niedermayer, the exception that proves the rule).

Lastly, it does not surprise me in the least that Big Bird wanted to go off into the sunset as an ambassador for the oldest, most storied and successful franchise in the game. And despite his huge place in their history, that they ****ed him over, yet again.

All of that passes the sniff test and seems legit to me.

And I wish the man nothing but the best as he spends the next couple years "closer to his family" (which is a factual statement, regardless.)

JerryGigantic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Not sure what TG has to do with any of this.

He is OUR beat reporter, so yes "everyone will eat up his tweets like it's the best dish in town".

Well... true if you remove all the unnecessary obnoxiousness from that statement and get to the underlying reality that we Devils fans do indeed look to him to confirm rumors and verify team and player statements, cut through the chatter and deliver us the hard facts (as is his job -- which he does pretty well.)

And, yes, "want to spend more time with my family" is the oldest cliche response in sports history when somebody is fired or did not get the job they wanted. And rarely, if ever, is the true deciding factor (minus one Scott Niedermayer, the exception that proves the rule).

Lastly, it does not surprise me in the least that Big Bird wanted to go off into the sunset as an ambassador for the oldest, most storied and successful franchise in the game. And despite his huge place in their history, that they ****ed him over, yet again.

All of that passes the sniff test and seems legit to me.

And I wish the man nothing but the best as he spends the next couple years "closer to his family" (which is a factual statement, regardless.)
Very solid post.

The TG reference was that since Larry spoke to TG personnaly, certain posters were going with what TG reported instead of his agent... as if Larry would throw the Habs under the bus or actually tell us more then just your cliche response regarding his familly. If he wanted to be closer to his familly, he would've taken a job with the Kings, cause his familly leaves in Los Angeles but decided to go with one of his good friends in Doug Wilson.

Larry is one of the classiest, if not the classiest, guy you'll ever get to meet. I had the plessure of chating with him at Guy Lafleur's restaurant for about 20 minutes a couple of years ago. He was beyond shocked that I cheered for the Devils and talked about all kinds of stuff.

I have no idea who is running things up in Montreal but to by-pass one of the best blueliners in the game when he's basically throwing himself at you is nothing short of a disgrace. To hire ****ing J.J. Daigneault over Big Bird is yet another low blow for someone who deserves so much more. Did Therrien hire J.J., knowing that Larry would get all the spotlight and media attention since he's basically a living legend over here... who knows.

What I do know is that they messed up real bad when they've been looking to a add a assistant for their blueline since god knows when, and when one of the best in the entire league gives you "carte blanche" to hire him... you push him away, yet again.

I just don't understand the way they run things down there but what do I care, it's not my team.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:32 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Very solid post.

The TG reference was that since Larry spoke to TG personnaly, certain posters were going with what TG reported instead of his agent... as if Larry would throw the Habs under the bus or actually tell us more then just your cliche response regarding his familly. If he wanted to be closer to his familly, he would've taken a job with the Kings, cause his familly leaves in Los Angeles but decided to go with one of his good friends in Doug Wilson.

Larry is one of the classiest, if not the classiest, guy you'll ever get to meet. I had the plessure of chating with him at Guy Lafleur's restaurant for about 20 minutes a couple of years ago. He was beyond shocked that I cheered for the Devils and talked about all kinds of stuff.

I have no idea who is running things up in Montreal but to by-pass one of the best blueliners in the game when he's basically throwing himself at you is nothing short of a disgrace. To hire ****ing J.J. Daigneault over Big Bird is yet another low blow for someone who deserves so much more. Did Therrien hire J.J., knowing that Larry would get all the spotlight and media attention since he's basically a living legend over here... who knows.

What I do know is that they messed up real bad when they've been looking to a add a assistant for their blueline since god knows when, and when one of the best in the entire league gives you "carte blanche" to hire him... you push him away, yet again.

I just don't understand the way they run things down there but what do I care, it's not my team.
Blows my mind, but does not surprise me, as well. For a team with such rich history, they sure seem to be squandering it lately.

The Montreal/New Jersey connection has always been strong, as Lou has modeled our franchise on how they used to do things up there and has always felt comfortable with players and coaches who came through that system.

So I am more than shocked that they have no real interest in keeping Big Bird in the family in Montreal. That would be like Lou not finding room on the staff for Scott Stevens or Marty after he retired.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryGigantic View Post
Blows my mind, but does not surprise me, as well. For a team with such rich history, they sure seem to be squandering it lately.

The Montreal/New Jersey connection has always been strong, as Lou has modeled our franchise on how they used to do things up there and has always felt comfortable with players and coaches who came through that system.

So I am more than shocked that they have no real interest in keeping Big Bird in the family in Montreal. That would be like Lou not finding room on the staff for Scott Stevens or Marty after he retired.
One of the main reasons, if not the reason IMO, is that there's not a "Lou Lamoriello" running things in the Habs organisation and everyone is doing their little task as if they are working in a corporate office, doing their little 9 to 5 shift.

You need someone at the top that knows the history behind the game, someone with loyalty that will make you feel as if you are apart of a familly and not just some other team and that actually means something to certain players. Everywhere you look, solid organisations that are able to maintain a level of stability for a long stretch of time, are always runned by well respected, smart and devoted people.

The Habs are in turmoil for the past decade and when you are more concentrated in the politics of your staff, there's no way you can run your team in the proper manner. The way they operated in the past versus what they've been doing for the past several years is like black and white.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
With that said, I don't know why we let him go
Because Lou isn't going to beg anyone to stay here against their will. He let Sutter leave, he gave Oates permission to interview for the Caps job, and he didn't tell Larry no either.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Because Lou isn't going to beg anyone to stay here against their will. He let Sutter leave, he gave Oates permission to interview for the Caps job, and he didn't tell Larry no either.
I know Lou isn't going to stop anyone from doing what they feel is right but if Larry wanted to go Montreal as bad as his agent says he did and that he ended signing with San Jose... it just has me scratching my head a little as to why he felt the need to change organisations this late in his career.

Oh well, I'll never say a bad thing about the man cause he's pure class and has done wonders for our team everytime he accepted which ever role was thrown his way.

Here's to Larry

Old
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Isn't Robinson good friends with the Sharks GM? That probably had a big hand in it.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Here's to Larry
On this we can agree. Here's to Larry, indeed.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Isn't Robinson good friends with the Sharks GM? That probably had a big hand in it.
He is. He's also staying at his house atm, just so Larry and his wife (Ginette) can scope out the place and find something of their own I guess.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
Of all the player and people that left NJ so far this season I can say that losing Robinson might be the biggest, Parise being the biggest. For young defencemen starting out or just young players in general he is the master. He communicates so much and I htink that young players just get it. DAm I wish he stayed.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
He is, that definitely had something to do with it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
I'm ****ing shocked that people would downplay Larry's agent and personnal best friend as if it was Eklund that came up with this nonesense.

It's pretty remarkable that after what Parise said to our fanbase, that some of you would still believe what ever comes out of a players/coaches mouth. I guess some of you will never learn.

I'm also convinced that if his agent would've said that Robinson would've loved to stay with the Devils but for reasons he can't say, he had to take the 2nd best offer on the table, I would've been acclaimed and praised for that solid bit of info. I'm certain there would've been a mass of posters lining up to hear what he had to say and would beg for a link

Eklund comes up with a rumour about Semin... let's eat it up like it's hot fudge ice cream. Larry's agent talks about what really went down, wich doesn't really put us in solid position... let's crap on the guy.

CLASSIC !!!
-datw posts whatever spews from his radio station, with the disclaimer ‘just passing along what I heard’
-people post that they don’t buy whatever their esteemed guest is on the program is selling
-datw rails against entire board for not treating their words like sacred scripture
rinse, repeat…yawn

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
-datw posts whatever spews from his radio station, with the disclaimer ‘just passing along what I heard’
-people post that they don’t buy whatever their esteemed guest is on the program is selling
-datw rails against entire board for not treating their words like sacred scripture
rinse, repeat…yawn
you forgot the defeatist inevitability of somehow acting like we're ganging up on him personally. Better gang up on him for it.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:45 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Very solid post.

Robinson speaks the truth, his agent goes and plays bad cop on Mtl so that Larry doesn't take a hit since he is a legend. Capishe Paisan? Capishe Paisan?

The best part of your post is the 1st. line and the follow up about taking a job with the LA Kings. Was that even an option? LOL. Why stop there, why wouldn't he have taken the Anaheim Job? Because they didn't have openings and offers to him.

Thank G-D I heard team 990 is turning into a French station and we will be spared nonesense from those clowns. I've heard them all over the years, they sound like fill in interns for WFAN working the graveyard shifts. They rid of the only talent on that station in PJ Stock, who at least brought players knowledge and personality.

I do enjoy lurking your posts when I'm not able to post.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:47 PM
GhostofKenKlee
Hynes Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
rinse, repeat…yawn
Love that he does take it so personal/to the heart as he does.

It's fits a certain narrative for him or his myopic vision of Devils and their fandom or how they do things.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
Robinson speaks the truth, his agent goes and plays bad cop on Mtl so that Larry doesn't take a hit since he is a legend. Capishe Paisan? Capishe Paisan?

The best part of your post is the 1st. line and the follow up about taking a job with the LA Kings. Was that even an option? LOL. Why stop there, why wouldn't he have taken the Anaheim Job? Because they didn't have openings and offers to him.

Thank G-D I heard team 990 is turning into a French station and we will be spared nonesense from those clowns. I've heard them all over the years, they sound like fill in interns for WFAN working the graveyard shifts. They rid of the only talent on that station in PJ Stock, who at least brought players knowledge and personality.

I do enjoy lurking your posts when I'm not able to post.
Ah yes, Larry speaks the truth... just like Parise spoke the truth for about 11 months and 28 days.

Gotcha