HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that we have Crosby for life, what about Malkin?

View Poll Results: Malkin ...........
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for the 11 years remaining on Crosby’s salary 47 37.90%
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for 5 years or less 10 8.06%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million long term 34 27.42%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million for 5 years or less 7 5.65%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million long term 8 6.45%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million for 5 years or less 2 1.61%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit long term. 0 0%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit for 5 years or less 0 0%
Will sign with the Flyers to troll us 4 3.23%
Malkin will go back to Russia for a billion Rubles a day 2 1.61%
Malkin will stop playing hockey to remake Conan the Barbarian with Alyonka 10 8.06%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think we really need to sign Geno forever as well. Seeing every single one of Geno's tweets - he signs for a life contract, too. I don't think he gives us 8.7 though.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
In all seriousness, there are alot of parallels between us and Detroit.

We all know how the first one ends..
They get along better than those two ever did. But yes if the line in the sand is drawn or Malkin wants number 1 status, Malkin will be the one that is cast out just as Fedorov was unfortunately in Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I really think Malkin is going to get a stupid offer from Russia. 10 years 200 million how does he turn that down? He has already accomplished and won every conceivable award in the NHL unless he wants to start playing defense. If he just want to continue playing in the NHL fine, but some oil tycoon over in Russia is at least going to put a major scare in the Pens fan-base in my opinion, unless he signs before he even talks to them.
Malkin is the last Russian who would take more money to play in an inferior league. He is far too competitive (to say nothing of all the times he's gone on record as loving Pittsburgh and the Pens).

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Malkin is the last Russian who would take more money to play in an inferior league. He is far too competitive (to say nothing of all the times he's gone on record as loving Pittsburgh and the Pens).
What people say and what people do often don't line up. Ask Nashville and New Jersey fans about that.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I really think Malkin is going to get a stupid offer from Russia. 10 years 200 million how does he turn that down? He has already accomplished and won every conceivable award in the NHL unless he wants to start playing defense. If he just want to continue playing in the NHL fine, but some oil tycoon over in Russia is at least going to put a major scare in the Pens fan-base in my opinion, unless he signs before he even talks to them.

He probably won't be able to sign a super long-term deal because of the new CBA probably stopping those by limiting maybe I don't know a max of 7 years. I hope he stays, I don't want to see an elite talent like him leave even if Detroit fans and Pittsburgh fans don't get along the best. I say it whenever Crosby is hurt and the same applies to Malkin. The NHL is a better place and product with him in it and I hope to see him for several more years despite what that might mean for everyone elses chances at the Stanley Cup.
The Pens may have to bring out the radiator. He is our golden diamond.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
What people say and what people do often don't line up. Ask Nashville and New Jersey fans about that.
We know it too. Didn't Hossa say to us after we lost the '08 Finals that he wanted to stay?

Look at how that panned out...

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

I voted for the Conan remake, but honestly it's quite clear he's going to Minnesota.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Nashville and New Jersey have never won the Cup. Malkin knows he can win with this organization and this core, because he already has.

And if Malkin's word isn't good enough, there's always the fact that no Russian of his calibre (or even close) has ever gone back to play in Russia during their prime. He's not a Radulov-esque flake or a guy in the twilight of his career like Fedorov.

It's not something I'm worried about in the slightest.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
The difference is those players both decided to test free agency. It will never come to that for Geno. He either signs next summer or he informs us he doesn't want to discuss a contract at that point. Shero will certainly be alarmed to hear that and will make a monumental decision if he has to. He proved it with Staal that he's not messing around. If core players don't want to commit, he will look for trade options. No way in hell do we let Geno hit July 1st as a UFA.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Nashville and New Jersey have never won the Cup. Malkin knows he can win with this organization and this core, because he already has.

And if Malkin's word isn't good enough, there's always the fact that no Russian of his calibre (or even close) has ever gone back to play in Russia during their prime. He's not a Radulov-esque flake or a guy in the twilight of his career like Fedorov.

It's not something I'm worried about in the slightest.
Good points minus the NJ has never won the cup thing. I'm assuming you meant in Parise's career.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Good points minus the NJ has never won the cup thing. I'm assuming you meant in Parise's career.
Yep.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
pensfansince88

he's going to take the lead role for shrek on ice

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Til the End of Time

wow weird i was literally just about the make this exact same thread when i got back from work today.

anyway i think this is a great question. i hope people realize how extremely lucky we are to get sid to sign such a deal. it is obviously very rare for such fantastic players to spend their entire careers with one team.

we need to realize it's not the norm. to have sid AND geno sign to such long term deals would be truly amazing.

i think people take for granted that geno will just sign here after beyond the next 2 seasons. i certainly hope you are right, but im a bit worried.

geno has been the consumate team player and has towed the company line. everything seems to be going well. but we all thought that staal was fine being the third line center if he was on a contender. turns out he didnt want that. i really wonder if geno is ok being the 1a/1b and being on "crosby's team." similarly, i wonder if part of parise's decision to go to minnesota was due to the fact that he is now "the man" on offense for that club. these guys all have egos, and i wonder if malkin's can handle always being perceived (even if untrue) to be in crosby's shadow. plus we all saw how eager teams were to throw huge deals at "stars" like parise/suter. you have to wonder if geno/agent is looking at that and salivating at the $ a true superstar/top 3 player/conn smythe winner could fetch on the open market.

i really hope they can sign him. the pens are a very average team without him.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
wow weird i was literally just about the make this exact same thread when i got back from work today.

anyway i think this is a great question. i hope people realize how extremely lucky we are to get sid to sign such a deal. it is obviously very rare for such fantastic players to spend their entire careers with one team.

we need to realize it's not the norm. to have sid AND geno sign to such long term deals would be truly amazing.

i think people take for granted that geno will just sign here after beyond the next 2 seasons. i certainly hope you are right, but im a bit worried.

geno has been the consumate team player and has towed the company line. everything seems to be going well. but we all thought that staal was fine being the third line center if he was on a contender. turns out he didnt want that. i really wonder if geno is ok being the 1a/1b and being on "crosby's team." similarly, i wonder if part of parise's decision to go to minnesota was due to the fact that he is now "the man" on offense for that club. these guys all have egos, and i wonder if malkin's can handle always being perceived (even if untrue) to be in crosby's shadow. plus we all saw how eager teams were to throw huge deals at "stars" like parise/suter. you have to wonder if geno/agent is looking at that and salivating at the $ a true superstar/top 3 player/conn smythe winner could fetch on the open market.

I for one didn't think Staal was fine long term as the 3rd line center here. Geno now has the best winger on the team (hopefully Neal stays there), stays out the entire 2 minutes of the PP, gets more offensive zone draws than Sid, and makes the same amount of money. I don't get how any reference to Staal is relevant to Geno.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Geno and Staal are in very different situations. Geno currently has all the bells and whistles of a 1st line center. Meanwhile, Staal got a nice long taste of what he should be getting, and then had it taken away again. 1st and 2nd line center are very very similar situations typically. 3rd is an entirely different thing. You just can't give three centers the kind of opportunities they would want.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
I for one didn't think Staal was fine long term as the 3rd line center here. Geno now has the best winger on the team (hopefully Neal stays there), stays out the entire 2 minutes of the PP, gets more offensive zone draws than Sid, and makes the same amount of money. I don't get how any reference to Staal is relevant to Geno.
i also didnt think staal would be fine as third line center, but i'd argue that the general consensus around here was that staal would be ok with being the third center, because he was playing for a winner and got more than third liner ice time. people kept pointing to ice time and saying he was more like a "third liner plus."

similar to geno. sure, he gets equal opportunity/linemates compared to sid. the stats back that up. but he'll always be playing on "sid's team." he'll never be the face of the franchise.

some people might not be ok with that. particularly professional athletes whose entire life has been about competition and being #1.

we also didn't hear a peep from staal about not wanting to be a penguin long term until like 3 days before he was traded. so i dont put a ton of stock into geno's percieved happiness with the team and his role here. parise, who is undoubtedly a class act, said all the right things regarding the devils, and now he's gone. money talks.

i'm not saying he wants to leave. but i don't think anyone can speak with a reasonable amount of certainty regarding his preferences.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
i also didnt think staal would be fine as third line center, but i'd argue that the general consensus around here was that staal would be ok with being the third center, because he was playing for a winner and got more than third liner ice time. people kept pointing to ice time and saying he was more like a "third liner plus."

similar to geno. sure, he gets equal opportunity/linemates compared to sid. the stats back that up. but he'll always be playing on "sid's team." he'll never be the face of the franchise.

some people might not be ok with that. particularly professional athletes whose entire life has been about competition and being #1.

we also didn't hear a peep from staal about not wanting to be a penguin long term until like 3 days before he was traded. so i dont put a ton of stock into geno's percieved happiness with the team and his role here. parise, who is undoubtedly a class act, said all the right things regarding the devils, and now he's gone. money talks.

i'm not saying he wants to leave. but i don't think anyone can speak with a reasonable amount of certainty regarding his preferences.
It's not a situation where we aren't hearing anything. We are hearing stuff and he's saying that it doesn't bother him. He was upset to see Talbot go. He just seems to legitimately want to stay here. Its obviously not impossible that he'd leave, but it wouldn't just be a little surprising because we haven't heard he wants to leave, it would be very surprising because he flat out said he doesn't want to leave.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
It's not a situation where we aren't hearing anything. We are hearing stuff and he's saying that it doesn't bother him. He was upset to see Talbot go. He just seems to legitimately want to stay here. Its obviously not impossible that he'd leave, but it wouldn't just be a little surprising because we haven't heard he wants to leave, it would be very surprising because he flat out said he doesn't want to leave.
i understand, but parise was saying the exact same stuff.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Geno doesn't strike me as a selfish, me-first, primadonna type of guy, and I think he truly loves it in Pittsburgh. The city has even adopted his parents. I suspect Shero hands him a blank check and keeps Geno around for life, as well. Furthermore, I think he signs the exact same deal Sid did.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

minn-e-sooota.

Seriously, it wouldn't be that big a loss. Think of all the wingers we could have for Crosby. Can't see why you're all getting so riled up about it.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
i understand, but parise was saying the exact same stuff.
Yet Parise went to Free Agency. I'm telling you that Shero will never let that happen with Geno.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Yet Parise went to Free Agency. I'm telling you that Shero will never let that happen with Geno.
ok, but even if the pens trade geno, that is still bad news.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I really think Malkin is going to get a stupid offer from Russia. 10 years 200 million how does he turn that down?
Because unlike Jagr, Radulov and all these other losers who run for the easy money, he wants to be the best player in the best league on the planet. The KHL is a joke for someone like Malkin, in the prime of his career. Maybe when he's 35 or something, and has won more Cups, he'd think about a huge offer. Right now, no ****ing way. For him competing for Cups is half the equation, take that out and all the money in the world doesn't make it better.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:40 PM

The Pens have to sign him long term. The guys done nothing but been a great Penguin on and off the ice.

He is our golden diamond.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

He'll definitely sign long-term. The only question is how the new CBA will define long-term. That will be the limitation.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote