HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vlasic re-signed (5 years, through 17-18 season)

Old
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Carle is much more than $1.3 Million more valuable than Vlasic, and people complained about Carle's deal; not sure why you guys are getting your panties in a jingle over this one.
Carle stinks in his own end. Absolutely abysmal. Vlasic is worth two Carles

07-11-2012, 04:05 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Carle stinks in his own end. Absolutely abysmal. Vlasic is worth two Carles
At least two Carles and a Campoli.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
So with this signing, that means that DW only needs to "worry" about the following roster players

UFA - Clowe, Greiss, Murray (no way he's going to extend Zeus)
RFA - Galiardi, Desi, Demers

He'll likely extend Pavs and Couture next off-season as well, leaving Marleau, Thornton, and Boyle for the pivotal 2015 off-season
All three UFAs will be gone.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
bob330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Vlasic is Ryan Suter lite.
That's generous. At this point, Vlasic has minimal offense although his defensive positioning and stick skills are top tier.

At first, seems a bit steep for a defensive defensemen but I guess that's a bit undermarket if I were to read between the lines. Bottom line, I'm glad to have him signed to a long term deal.

bob330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
CupfortheSharks

Another player that's happy to stay with the Sharks. Easy negotiations. Fair deal with a slight hometown discount. Where are all the DW can't negotiate posts now? He did the same thing with Vlasic as he did with Stuart.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Nice deal, Pickles definitely deserves it, glad he's sticking around.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
KirbyDots

Almost forgot this.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
wishman

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob330i View Post
That's generous. At this point, Vlasic has minimal offense although his defensive positioning and stick skills are top tier.

At first, seems a bit steep for a defensive defensemen but I guess that's a bit undermarket if I were to read between the lines. Bottom line, I'm glad to have him signed to a long term deal.
Vlasic and Suter have very similar 5on5 stats. Is Suter really that much better than Vlasic offensively or is it just a matter of PP opportunity?

I'm still doubting the contract is really $4.2/year (I think we need to hear from a 2nd source). If so, that is a huge steal. Suter is not that much of an upgrade over Vlasic.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:11 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
I was hoping for $4.15 million per, but I'll settle for this.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
Carle is much more than $1.3 Million more valuable than Vlasic, and people complained about Carle's deal; not sure why you guys are getting your panties in a jingle over this one.
I am confused as to how anyone could possibly formulate an opinion that is this wrong. Carle is not in Vlasic's league as a defenseman. He was sheltered by Braydon Coburn, Kimmo Timonen, and Chris Pronger in Philadelphia, and the reason he thrived was because he was able to play in a role that allowed him to skate downhill with the puck without significant defensive responsibilities. I laughed out loud when I saw how much the Lightning gave him. At his best, Carle is can be a great asset as a puck-moving defenseman on a team that can shelter him from top opposition and pair him with someone who has the size and defensive ability to handle most of the defensive zone responsibility. Carle is a solid second-pairing defenseman on a team that has sufficient defensive depth to allow him to be the primary puck-mover and conceal his huge defensive deficiencies. Vlasic is a borderline elite top-pairing shutdown defenseman that still has not reached his prime. He is worth significantly more than Carle, especially over the long-term.

This is a fabulous deal for the Sharks.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
AnderFunk

It is pretty amazing that we have Burns and Vlasic signed until 2017 for under $10 million. Great job DW. This more than makes up for not getting Stuart on the cheap.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishman View Post
Vlasic and Suter have very similar 5on5 stats. Is Suter really that much better than Vlasic offensively or is it just a matter of PP opportunity?

I'm still doubting the contract is really $4.2/year (I think we need to hear from a 2nd source). If so, that is a huge steal. Suter is not that much of an upgrade over Vlasic.
yes vlasic really is that much worse offensively then suter. do you think the sharks would of rather had a rookie demers on the power play or a veteran vlasic? (weird to actually call a 25 year old player a veteran lol).

if vlasic had any offensive skill he would be on one of the 2 power play units. but he is being taken off the power play units in favor of a rookie braun and a sophmore demers.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:16 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Fun fact: Vlasic had one less hit and 55 more blocked shots than Suter.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:16 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Doug Wilson is having the best week ever

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
i don't think nashville is really a blocking team though, they are like what the sharks were when nabby was in net. let the goalie see every shot and let him make the 1st stop.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:35 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i don't think nashville is really a blocking team though, they are like what the sharks were when nabby was in net. let the goalie see every shot and let him make the 1st stop.
How many shots do you think the Wild will want him to block now that they're paying him $12 million?

Old
07-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
How many shots do you think the Wild will want him to block now that they're paying him $12 million?
big fat 0, and he won't be able to hit, and if he see's a hit coming he has to pass the puck off as fast as possible so he can move out of the way (don't matter if he turns the puck over)

Old
07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
yes vlasic really is that much worse offensively then suter. do you think the sharks would of rather had a rookie demers on the power play or a veteran vlasic? (weird to actually call a 25 year old player a veteran lol).

if vlasic had any offensive skill he would be on one of the 2 power play units. but he is being taken off the power play units in favor of a rookie braun and a sophmore demers.
Yea while I get where your coming from, you do have to take into consideration that suter had shea weber as a linemate who is an elite offensive dman (and having puck hog boyle as a linemate wouldn't help him), and when you look at suters stats compared to say, the year that vlasic played with blake the most his numbers are pretty comparable to suters. That and there is no denying that demers or braun have more offensive upside than vlasic so of course they are gonna get the crack at powerplay time.

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
so they are like...normal

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
@brodiebrazilCSN
Vlasic can't say whether his contract includes no-movement clause just that: he wants & "thinks" he'll be on #sjsharks for next 6 years

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks4Life View Post
Yea while I get wehre your coming from, you do have to take into consideration that suter had shea weber as a linemate who is an elite offensive dman, and when you look at suters stats compared to say, the year that vlasic played with blake the most his numbers are pretty comparable to suters. That and there is no denying that demers or braun have more offensive upside than vlasic so of course they are gonna get the crack at powerplay time.
i like the way vlasic has molded his game to be better defensively and less of a ***** cat on the ice (which was basically my only complaint with him a few years ago, that he would make a quick stupid bad play just so he didn't get hit).

what gets me are the ones that say he is good offensively but he just hasn't been given the opportunity yet, which is full on bunk and every one who actually watches the sharks on a full time basis knows vlasic has been given multiple chances on the power play and has failed every single time, and he has also been paired for the most part with the sharks best offensive weapons, so he should be atleast leetching points that way.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
@brodiebrazilCSN
Vlasic can't say whether his contract includes no-movement clause just that: he wants & "thinks" he'll be on #sjsharks for next 6 years
if vlasic got a no movement clause then pavs must be livid right now.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:50 PM
hockeyball

Seriously, anyone complaining about this is just

I doubt Vlasic would get a full NMC, more likely a limited NTC if at all, and that's fine. Better than losing him, and he's not an injury risk (nor likely to decline anytime soon).

$4.2m for one of the best defensive d-men in the league is a huge bargain. My bet is he has a 30p season this year coupled with that defense. After which, UFA, he'd get 5+ million.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:54 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Maybe Suter had less blocks because he had the puck more - because he has some kind of puck poise.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
$4.2m for one of the best defensive d-men in the league is a huge bargain. My bet is he has a 30p season this year coupled with that defense. After which, UFA, he'd get 5+ million.
This is an important point. This extension covers 5 UFA years which makes it even better considering what UFA defencemen are getting nowadays.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote