HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vlasic re-signed (5 years, through 17-18 season)

Old
07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

vCash: 500
Very happy for MEV and very excited to (hopefully) have him aboard through 2018. Great defenseman, great guy, great deal. Good work, DW. My faith in you remains strong.

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

Excellent deal, DW.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i like the way vlasic has molded his game to be better defensively and less of a ***** cat on the ice (which was basically my only complaint with him a few years ago, that he would make a quick stupid bad play just so he didn't get hit).

what gets me are the ones that say he is good offensively but he just hasn't been given the opportunity yet, which is full on bunk and every one who actually watches the sharks on a full time basis knows vlasic has been given multiple chances on the power play and has failed every single time, and he has also been paired for the most part with the sharks best offensive weapons, so he should be atleast leetching points that way.
I agree with your general statement that he has been given chances, but to say that he should be leetching points when he spent all of last season with dan "its my ******* puck" boyle and the season before that swapping with demers and braun two youngsters is kind of a joke. and to further prove my point the year before that he was with blake when blake's play had CLEARLY declined, and the year before that he was with blake and put up numbers similar to suter. In essence while he has been given some what of a chance there really hasn't been a point where he should be leetching points off of his partner except for 08-09 when he put up 6g 30a 36p in 82gms. As for playing time on the PP if your at the point with a guy like dan boyle how much you think your really gonna get the puck?

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
woohoo!

You are welcome for my very lengthy excellent analysis on this deal

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks4Life View Post
I agree with your general statement that he has been given chances, but to say that he should be leetching points when he spent all of last season with dan "its my ******* puck" boyle and the season before that swapping with demers and braun two youngsters is kind of a joke. and to further prove my point the year before that he was with blake when blake's play had CLEARLY declined, and the year before that he was with blake and put up numbers similar to suter. In essence while he has been given some what of a chance there really hasn't been a point where he should be leetching points off of his partner except for 08-09 when he put up 6g 30a 36p in 82gms. As for playing time on the PP if your at the point with a guy like dan boyle how much you think your really gonna get the puck?
The real problem is that he has zero chemistry with Boyle. He's such a solid d-man that he can still play his game even with a partner he has limited chemistry with, but he's not going to be improved by playing with Boyle.

Vlasic is not Weber, he is not going to create for himself very often, but paired with the right partner he can absolutely be a 30p player. He showed that with Blake, and he showed that with Burns. Stuart will be paired with Boyle (which is good since Boyle needs a more physical partner) and that means Vlasic will be with Burns. Ideal situation for him and barring injury he's going to have a career season. Getting him locked up now is incredibly smart.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:29 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
If you go to behindthenet, you will find that using him on the PP is like throwing a bucket of ice water on the PP. He drags the whole unit down relative to other players. Guys like Demers and Braun don't have the same drag effect. That was even true in his 36 pt year. The measure to use if GF60.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

This is a great deal. The cap is going ******* high and hacks like Carle are getting 5.5 a year. Anyone who thinks Vlasic wouldn't get 5+ on the open market is kidding themselves.

Bravo DW for defying my expectations and signing him for this low. I thought when he signed his first RFA contract he would be gone for sure as he gave up no UFA years.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:41 PM
NWShark*

Hope he likes Columbus. ;P

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:43 PM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

great deal for the sharks and pickles - congrats to both.

DW is really having a great week, one good announcement a day, wonder what's up for the rest of the week... he and the family probably have a vacation planned for the rest of summer starting next week.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Hope he likes Columbus. ;P
Man that would piss me off...

They don't really need or want anymore defense though, so I really doubt it.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:45 PM
NWShark*

I like the deal assuming the cap goes up. He should be a good partner for Burns too but I wish he would put on another 10 to 15 pounds so he doesn't get out muscled so much.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

WOOOOO! Pickles on the Sharks through all my PhD years. I like.

Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The real problem is that he has zero chemistry with Boyle. He's such a solid d-man that he can still play his game even with a partner he has limited chemistry with, but he's not going to be improved by playing with Boyle.

Vlasic is not Weber, he is not going to create for himself very often, but paired with the right partner he can absolutely be a 30p player. He showed that with Blake, and he showed that with Burns. Stuart will be paired with Boyle (which is good since Boyle needs a more physical partner) and that means Vlasic will be with Burns. Ideal situation for him and barring injury he's going to have a career season. Getting him locked up now is incredibly smart.
My point exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
If you go to behindthenet, you will find that using him on the PP is like throwing a bucket of ice water on the PP. He drags the whole unit down relative to other players. Guys like Demers and Braun don't have the same drag effect. That was even true in his 36 pt year. The measure to use if GF60.
Im a little confused here as I wasn't saying he should have more time on the PP, all I said was that he isn't going to be racking up free loader points with a partner like boyle who isn't gonna pass to anyone other than a scoring capable forward...for the most part atleast.

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

Im a little confused here as I wasn't saying he should have more time on the PP, all I said was that he isn't going to be racking up free loader points with a partner like boyle who isn't gonna pass to anyone other than a scoring capable forward...for the most part atleast.
The point was that he reduces points for all (at least on PP) by his presence on the ice. That is a very strong indicator for his not getting PP time. I agree that Boyle reduces points for partners and was one of the first to bring up that subject on this forum. That isn't the issue. I was astounded that he and Burns had chemistry that boosted both of them.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The point was that he reduces points for all (at least on PP) by his presence on the ice. That is a very strong indicator for his not getting PP time. I agree that Boyle reduces points for partners and was one of the first to bring up that subject on this forum. That isn't the issue. I was astounded that he and Burns had chemistry that boosted both of them.
Boyle seems to be one of those players that if you arent good, he doesnt want to play with you.

But if you are good he will play with you.

Players do remember things that happen on the ice. Boyle probably learnt early and often in his 1st couple years with the sharks that vlasic didnt make good decisions with the puck.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Boyle seems to be one of those players that if you arent good, he doesnt want to play with you.

He loved playing with Lukowhich... and Lukowhich SUCKED.

My bet is he and Stuart are great together though, very good skillset match.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:15 PM
OrrNumber4

Great signing.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:

no but he also had for some reason a godly type of chemistry with luko also. granted when luko was with tampa he wasn't as bad as he was with the sharks, hence luko didn't play that much with boyle in his time with the sharks.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
NWShark*

Quote:

But Lokowich always gave him the puck so he could race off on a rush. That's why boyle played well with him.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
bproeder
The rich man's Bozak

This is an awesome signing and will only look better as the term of the contract progresees. Very well done on both sides!

bproeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
SJeasy

Quote:

Players do remember things that happen on the ice. Boyle probably learnt early and often in his 1st couple years with the sharks that vlasic didnt make good decisions with the puck.
Not really. Burns took a hit on PP with Boyle. He did much better when de-linked. Boyle is pretty dramatic on partner dropoff, guys like Blake, Lidstrom and Markov have the opposite effect.

Vlasic is another issue. By eyeball, he is too slow with decisions.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Gilligans Island

Vlasic's a funny guy - wry sense of humor:

https://twitter.com/PollakOnSharks/s...79343097102337
Quote:
Vlasic pumped over ‪#sjsharks‬ hiring Robinson, then adds: "I’ve never seen him play. I’m too young but my dad loves him as a hockey player."
Pickles: Hey coach, let's see what you got"
1 hour bag skate later...
Pickles: Uh bad idea guys.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
4.2 is cool I guess.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Eighth Fret

outstanding deal. almost too good. i'm worried dw may have been thinking further down the line and wanted a deal what would be attractive to trade partners.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

210Darryl 4:45pm via Web BTW, Vlasic's 83 regular season games in a Sharks jersey isn't the "record", that would be Jamie McGinn's 86 regular season games in 2009-10

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-already-set/
Pollak with Vlasic's reaction

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...42&feedID=2539
Kurz's take

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote