HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part IX): Generic Thread Title Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The thing that bothers me with Nash the most is his lack of pedigree for winning. Excluding the 2010 Canadian Olympic Team, his longest playoff run was 15 games with Davos in the Swiss League during the lockout.

Guy is not a winner. His stats have also gone down every year. Patrick Sharp would give you just as much at nearly 2 million less.
Thats a ridiculously simplistic way of looking at things, considering the ineptitude of the franchise that drafted him over the past decade. Take a look at the rosters hes dealt with. Wayne Gretzky wouldnt be able to take them on a long playoff run.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
The thing that bothers me with Nash the most is his lack of pedigree for winning. Excluding the 2010 Canadian Olympic Team, his longest playoff run was 15 games with Davos in the Swiss League during the lockout.

Guy is not a winner. His stats have also gone down every year. Patrick Sharp would give you just as much at nearly 2 million less.
That's ********, Joe Thornton's never won anything either but you'd sure as hell take him on your team

Old
07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
He was pretty straightforward about it.
Semin epitomizes everything not Rangeresque. The term "Blue Collar" and Semin will NEVER be used in relation. Even if he has one of the best shots in the NHL, it won't be seen in NY while Tort's has roster input/selection. You can say his name and start "Plan B" threads all day, never was, or will be an option..

Old
07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Please help with this. How is Nash a game breaker? How are we defining that in regards to Nash?

I see Crosby, Malkin, Hank, The Sedins as game breakers. I don't see Nash in that space at all. Yet that is your expectation of him, yes?
He absolutely has the ability to impose his will and take a game over

Old
07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

Columbus GA/Game Rank:
2012 - 28
2011 - 26
2010 - 24
2009 - 9 (Playoff Year)
2008 - 8

2007 - 16

Goalie Stats:
2012 - Mason - 3.39 - 0.894
2011 - Mason - 3.03 - 0.901
2010 - Mason - 3.06 - 0.901
2009 - Mason - 2.29 - 0.916
2008 - Leclaire - 2.25 - 0.919

2007 - Norenna - 2.78 - 0.904

Which of these years did Nash produce best? 2008 and 2009. A winning environment breeds motivation.

Last edited by HatTrick Swayze: 07-11-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
International success? OK, let's commit to an albatross contract based off a two-week exhibition almost a decade ago. Brilliant logic.

If a guy plays with max effort 100 pct of the time (which Nash doesn't) but the results aren't there, its called a decline. Whether its a decline in stats or effort or motivation, its still a decline.

Nash has 2 goals in 13 Olympic games. I guess you were talking about those ever-important World Championships.

I remember people here saying Richards would hit 90 simply by taking his Dallas stats and increasing them because of Gaborik. Richards had zero Chemistry with Gaborik for 3/4 of the season.

Failed logic.
Failed logic? Listen to yourself buddy.

I don't care if you think te WC is important or not. Fact or the matter is their is success. And I like how you dismiss his Olympic points and only say his goals to make your argument sound better.

Richards didn't have chemistry with Gabs for 3/4 of the year because one would be on the bench when the other was on the ice.

But hey you read his NHL.com stats, you're now qualified to be an NHL scout.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:51 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
That's ********, Joe Thornton's never won anything either but you'd sure as hell take him on your team
Sure there are other factors gang but this goes back to his days in London in the OHL.

Has he always had bad teams around him? Why? Bad luck?

If he was that good he'd carry these teams. Not an elite player or worth that stupid contract.

Joe Thorton? Don't want him either. He's peaked long ago.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its Glen Sather dude, when he played for the pens.
Ahhh...yes ! I knew it was around the same time frame judging by the colors and the card pic . LOL...never even thought about Sather . Thanks for the response .

Old
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Yeah but Joe Thorton is like 3 levels above Rick Nash. You can't compare the two.

Quote:
Joe Thorton? Don't want him either. He's peaked long ago.
That's a load of ****. He put up 77 points in a down year. You'd worship him if he was on the Rangers.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Yeah but Joe Thorton is like 3 levels above Rick Nash. You can't compare the two.
Three levels? How many levels are there?

Some of the units of measurement here are a little off the wall.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Three levels? How many levels are there?

Some of the units of measurement here are a little off the wall.
We're comparing a very good player to a sure-fire hall of famer, that's a few steps up.

Nash has never hit 80 points.

Thornton hit it 6 times, including 4 90's, and 2 100's.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its Glen Sather dude, when he played for the pens.
They look alike ! Rats..,link won't work .

Old
07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A new development with the Coyotes

Quote:
The city of Glendale has disqualified a ballot measure aimed at blocking a proposed sales tax increase.

Glendale disqualified the measure Wednesday, arguing ballot and petition language was misleading to voters. In addition, the city said there were other technical problems with the ballot measure and its campaign committee.

Keeping the sales tax measure off the November ballot could be a boost to the city’s 20-year deal with prospective Phoenix Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison.
Quote:
Voiding the sales tax would have made it harder for Glendale to pay for the arena deal with Jamison.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ax-ballot.html

Eklund tweeted this development is a negative for the team staying in AZ. Everyone is attacking him on twitter for that tweet.

Quote:
Terry Bross of Lagardere Unlimited, the group representing Doan, said Wednesday that 16 NHL teams have made inquiries about Doan's intentions and "four or five" have already submitted formal offers. Bross also has been negotiating with the Coyotes to keep Doan in Phoenix.

"We are getting to the point where it is going to be decision-making time," Bross said.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...est/56156214/1

This agent loves to talk.

Old
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:

That's a load of ****. He put up 77 points in a down year. You'd worship him if he was on the Rangers.
Wow, Thorton had a very good year.

We all know he would come here and put up 58 points

He makes less than Nash and puts up more points. But there are many other options besides Nash.

Old
TrojanRanger

Quote:
We're comparing a very good player to a sure-fire hall of famer, that's a few steps up.
A very good player who is going to finish his career with 500-600 goals.

Saying Thornton is better is fine, saying hes three levels better is just absurd and inaccurate.

Old
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Not gonna disagree there, but who's to say Nash can't be a Hall of Famer one day? Especially if he's traded here

Old
07-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Edge

I actually agree with something Ray Ferraro said about Nash, on some level, playing like he's in juniors still.

With that said, I am really curious to see what he does with a playmaking center who compliments his style, and in a system that pushes him to be a better player.

Something inside tells me he'd do very well with Torts, if he buys into the system.

As for Joe Thornton, I think he's more talented than Nash. I also think he is what he is at this point - a guy who gets a lot of regular season points, but just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who leads a team to a championship.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:01 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
A new development with the Coyotes

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ax-ballot.html

Eklund tweeted this development is a negative for the team staying in AZ. Everyone is attacking him on twitter for that tweet.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...est/56156214/1

This agent loves to talk.
Yeah, Bross seems to be a big time blabbermouth.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Lundsanity30

It's crazy, I understand some people might not to move assets for Nash, and that is entirely their right. However, its amazing how underrated Nash is on this board, truly puzzling.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Wow, Thorton had a very good year.

We all know he would come here and put up 58 points

He makes less than Nash and puts up more points. But there are many other options besides Nash.
The last time Thornton put up 58 points or less was when he put up 33 8 years ago. He played 23 games.

People don't realize just how good Joe Thornton is. He's on a streak of 7 consecutive 70 point seasons. If not for the year he got hurt, it would be 10 straight. Who does that in today's game? The only names that come to mind with the ability to do that are Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos, who are widely considered generational talents.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:

Please tell me you're not saying Joe Thorton has a better shot, is a better skater, and finisher than Nash..? Because if you're saying 3 levels above, I'm not seeing it. Thornton has been surrounded by finishers, he's been an assist's machine and uses his size to clean up around the net... Not even similar styles, Nash has more skill, accept it or not..

Old
07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Not disappointed I avoided this thread today.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Please tell me you're not saying Joe Thorton has a better shot, is a better skater, and finisher than Nash..? Because if you're saying 3 levels above, I'm not seeing it. Thornton has been surrounded by finishers, he's been an assist's machine and uses his size to clean up around the net... Not even similar styles, Nash has more skill, accept it or not..
You mean like Jonathan Cheechoo, who won a Rocket with Thorton centering him and has been buried in the minors since they separated?

Old
07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Edge

I think people are afraid to make the trade (and I can't say I totally blame them). Unfortunately, that fear manifests itself by seeking out (sometimes) questionable rationalizations that the player isn't as good as some think, so therefore THAT'S why we shouldn't pursue it.

Fear the assets.
Fear the salary cap.
Fear the trade cost.

The talent isn't, or at least shouldn't, be a concern.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Pizza

I've been watching a TON of Rick Nash on you tube. The man is tremendously talented. I agree with those that say his numbers have at least a good chance of going up in a Rangers jersey, though I question how much. Lousy team...yeah. But his numbers year over year should be better than they are.

It's too bad. The contract/cap hit. The players that would need to go the other way. Just not a fit.

Closed Thread