HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
HabsPassion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Louis Leblanc was the 9th ranked player on the Habs draft list and Kreider was 17th, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

If Leblanc was gone, the next two players we would have gone with are Jordan Schroeder and John Moore.

http://i26.tinypic.com/4gp7uo.jpg
Oh well, then we can now see why the organisation has already hired another North American Scout for the College Hockey rankings. Never seen that picture though, interesting.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
If only that was the way it worked over here in MTL, but it doesn't. Just remember Louie Leblanc, was most definitely not BPA. Right after him was Chris Kreider a 6"3 CENTER!
You do understand that the B in BPA doesn't stand for "Biggest" don't you?

And yes, so far it is how it works draft wise in Montreal. BPA. We make a token Quebec selection most drafts. This year it seems to have netted us a good player in Hudon. But that's what Archambault was last year: token Quebecois.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:13 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
If only that was the way it worked over here in MTL, but it doesn't. Just remember Louie Leblanc, was most definitely not BPA. Right after him was Chris Kreider a 6"3 CENTER!
I remember the NYR's picking Kreider and thinking that Sather really likes gambling on High School Stars that has no competition.He got lucky with that pick,speedster with size that was scoring on HS goalies.Louis Leblanc on the other hand,played on a line with Taylor Hall and Matt Duchene at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament during the summer and impressed the scouts as he had played better than both linemates.Leblanc was deemed the BPA at Montreal's turn to pick.One needs to remember that Louis has had many minor injuries and played for numerous teams with different linemates and always came out on top.I will never underestimate Leblanc's drive to succeed and team first mentality.

Old
07-08-2012, 12:18 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Do you like Erne?
In the last 3 games of the Mooseheads series, he was Quebec's player IMO. Would like to see what he does on the ice translate to more production in his 2nd season.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Erne was playing with third liners for the majority of the season. He was by far the best player on his line. This is something Duclair and Drouin still need to prove. That they can be dominant while playing with lesser linemates. It's something they barely did last year but Erne did it really often.

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 07-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ernie's skill level is miles ahead of Matteau. Matteau projects as a Prust type player.
I surely hope you're speaking from seeing Matteau play. If not, please purchase season tickets to Blainville. Matteau is a superior skater, great hockey mind and has above average hands. Because he wasn't favored in the US development program, he took on the role of a goone have more ice time. Now, with his father behind the bench, he'll be playing on the 1st line and you'll be able to see his skills.

At the U-17 2 yrs ago, I was there, he got a sensational goal agains Qc, they benched him, he didn't see any ice time for the rest of the game.

Erne is a great player, but Matteau is half a step faster and has more hockey sense, because of his blood line.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
I surely hope you're speaking from seeing Matteau play. If not, please purchase season tickets to Blainville. Matteau is a superior skater, great hockey mind and has above average hands. Because he wasn't favored in the US development program, he took on the role of a goone have more ice time. Now, with his father behind the bench, he'll be playing on the 1st line and you'll be able to see his skills.

At the U-17 2 yrs ago, I was there, he got a sensational goal agains Qc, they benched him, he didn't see any ice time for the rest of the game.

Erne is a great player, but Matteau is half a step faster and has more hockey sense, because of his blood line.
What?

If he was that talented, Matteau would have been taken higher...

Old
07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Erne was playing with third liners for the majority of the season. He was by far the best player on his line. This is something Duclair and Drouin still need to prove. That they can be dominant while playing with lesser linemates. It's something they barely did last year but Erne did it really often.
Here is another angle to consider. The reason Erne was playing on the 2nd line, is because he wasn't able to keep up with Grigo. When Sorensen went down, Patrick had put Erne on that left side for about 2 games. No chemistry and no synergy made Roy change and put Duclair. AUTOMATIC synergy and chemistry! So Erne lost his spot.

Also, Erne played against 2nd and 3rd liners (not his fault), so he had more time and space to do what he does best. While Duclair and Drouin played against the best oppositions every single night. Despite that, they were able to do what they did! So to me, these 2 have proven what they can do, especially Duclair who played a full season in the Q at 160lbs and still came out of corners with the puck against 19 yr olds weighing over 200 lbs.

Plus, look at Grigo's videos, you'll see that Duclair is on 1/2 of his goals, he does all the work in the corners and then passes it Grigo who's going to the net. Or he brings in the puck through the neutral zone, with a Grigo trailing.

Plus Drouin proved his worth in the series. I saw the series against Qc, Drouin was better than Mackinnon.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:52 PM
hockey365

Quote:
What?

If he was that talented, Matteau would have been taken higher...
Oh he has talent alright. He was frustrated by US hockey, that is why he didn't want to spend one more year with them. Why do you think Samuelson left and their good friend Audette didn't go to this program???? This program pushed their own and didn't showcase Matteau's talent.

You'll see a different Matteau under his father this coming year. He uses his body, but he also can create plays out of nothing.

When you have an NHL hockey player, who's a great coach, as a father, you take advantage of that and talk hockey all day and all night, that helps.

NHL scouts and sports analysts always identify someone with a hockey bloodline. They know it give these kids an advantage.

Old
07-08-2012, 06:18 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Here is another angle to consider. The reason Erne was playing on the 2nd line, is because he wasn't able to keep up with Grigo. When Sorensen went down, Patrick had put Erne on that left side for about 2 games. No chemistry and no synergy made Roy change and put Duclair. AUTOMATIC synergy and chemistry! So Erne lost his spot.

Also, Erne played against 2nd and 3rd liners (not his fault), so he had more time and space to do what he does best. While Duclair and Drouin played against the best oppositions every single night. Despite that, they were able to do what they did! So to me, these 2 have proven what they can do, especially Duclair who played a full season in the Q at 160lbs and still came out of corners with the puck against 19 yr olds weighing over 200 lbs.

Plus, look at Grigo's videos, you'll see that Duclair is on 1/2 of his goals, he does all the work in the corners and then passes it Grigo who's going to the net. Or he brings in the puck through the neutral zone, with a Grigo trailing.

Plus Drouin proved his worth in the series. I saw the series against Qc, Drouin was better than Mackinnon.
I'm not saying they're not good, just saying they have yet to prove they can perform without a better player on their line.

Drouin didn't play much with MacKinnon until the 2nd round... so he wasn't playing against the best lines. And no, he wasn't better than MacK in the playoffs. Drouin had more points but it doesn't mean he was better. He was great but MacKinnon was the go-to-guy on that line.

It was Comtois who jumped on the first line when Sorensen went down, not Erne. Erne stayed with Malouin on the third line and when Duclair replaced Comtois, Erne was put with McNamee. McNamee and Erne played with 4th liners for a while, until Shaw was acquired.

I don't need videos. I missed 2 games of the team last season... I agree sometimes Duclair was better than Grigorenko and created many plays on his goals but that's something he didn't do with McNamee. Like Drouin who was invisible in the series without MacKinnon but when he started playing with him he was excellent. Erne could be excellent without a better player on his line.

Last edited by SergeConstantin74: 07-08-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 06:21 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Oh he has talent alright. He was frustrated by US hockey, that is why he didn't want to spend one more year with them. Why do you think Samuelson left and their good friend Audette didn't go to this program???? This program pushed their own and didn't showcase Matteau's talent.

You'll see a different Matteau under his father this coming year. He uses his body, but he also can create plays out of nothing.

When you have an NHL hockey player, who's a great coach, as a father, you take advantage of that and talk hockey all day and all night, that helps.

NHL scouts and sports analysts always identify someone with a hockey bloodline. They know it give these kids an advantage.
Bloodline won't develop his hockei IQ... you have it or you don't...

Audette didn't go because QMJHL was his first choice. He got the offer, considered it, but that's all.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I remember the NYR's picking Kreider and thinking that Sather really likes gambling on High School Stars that has no competition.He got lucky with that pick,speedster with size that was scoring on HS goalies.Louis Leblanc on the other hand,played on a line with Taylor Hall and Matt Duchene at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament during the summer and impressed the scouts as he had played better than both linemates.Leblanc was deemed the BPA at Montreal's turn to pick.One needs to remember that Louis has had many minor injuries and played for numerous teams with different linemates and always came out on top.I will never underestimate Leblanc's drive to succeed and team first mentality.
There was alot of support on this board for Kreider leading up to the draft. I wouldn't say Sather got lucky as Kreider went in the middle of the first round which is where most people had him being picked. It was a toss up for myself between Leblanc and Kreider and was just happy that we took one of them. If hindsight was 20/20 I would go with Kreider but I believe that Leblanc will be a valuable asset if he can stay healthy.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:46 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Since some people were talking about inviting him to camp...

"London Knights G Michael Houser in the process of signing contract with the Florida Panthers organization. He won't be going to Jets camp." Ryan Pyette ‏@RyanatLFPress

Not too often you see an undrafted player sign a contract immediately after his draft without even so much as a tryout.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
hockey365

Quote:
I'm not saying they're not good, just saying they have yet to prove they can perform without a better player on their line.

Drouin didn't play much with MacKinnon until the 2nd round... so he wasn't playing against the best lines. And no, he wasn't better than MacK in the playoffs. Drouin had more points but it doesn't mean he was better. He was great but MacKinnon was the go-to-guy on that line.

It was Comtois who jumped on the first line when Sorensen went down, not Erne. Erne stayed with Malouin on the third line and when Duclair replaced Comtois, Erne was put with McNamee. McNamee and Erne played with 4th liners for a while, until Shaw was acquired.

I don't need videos. I missed 2 games of the team last season... I agree sometimes Duclair was better than Grigorenko and created many plays on his goals but that's something he didn't do with McNamee. Like Drouin who was invisible in the series without MacKinnon but when he started playing with him he was excellent. Erne could be excellent without a better player on his line.

Yes, I hear you and I do agree with you, they are yet to prove they can be the "man" on their line. But it's not their fault if they are paired with world class players.

Since you saw more games than I, you remember the Rempart's game against St-John, the one that was broadcasted nation wide? Well, who saved the Rempart's face from humiliation by scorring the lonely goal for the Remparts? Young Duclair! And remember how he came out from the right side, cut inside pass the 2 Ds and burried the puck on the goalie's left side. Rising to the occasion for his team.

Same with Drouin, who on the offensive side of things, made the Rempart's D look like cones in the series.

These players will again be paired with world class players on their line. They can dominate if they are given the opportunity. They did it in all the levels prior to the Q.

He didn't do it with McNamme, because he had just started and was very shy. Once he understood he could dominate, he took over and allow his talent to rise. Just like Grigo who took about 3-4 games before scoring his 1st game, question of adjusting to the new climate, the new team and the new city.

At the beginning of the season, when Sorensen wasn't playing, Pat tried many players on the left side, including Erne, then when Sorensen blew his knee, I believe the 2nd game after that incident, that's when he tried Duclair and stuck with that decision.

Old
07-09-2012, 09:58 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Bloodline won't develop his hockei IQ... you have it or you don't...

Audette didn't go because QMJHL was his first choice. He got the offer, considered it, but that's all.
No, blood line does not develop hockey sense, but it sure does enhance good players! The knowledge, the wisdom, the experience can be passed from those long years of playing at the top level.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:58 AM
neg marron

I wanna see who the sleepers are
Nurse subban mckinnon
Who slips

Old
07-10-2012, 04:00 AM
neg marron

Whose better
Darnell nurse
Jordan subban
Seth jones

Old
07-10-2012, 08:09 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by neg marron View Post
Whose better
Darnell nurse
Jordan subban
Seth jones
Seth Jones...

Old
07-11-2012, 02:32 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Whose better
Darnell nurse
Jordan subban
Seth jones
Without any doubt Seth Jones is better now and in the future,just looked in my chrystal ball.Norris trophy candidate Seth Jones Mtl.Cnds.(2017-2018)Stanley Cup Champs.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Whose better
Darnell nurse
Jordan subban
Seth jones
Seth Jones, no question about it.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Barkov was better and more compete player at ivan hlinka at the age of 15 when Galchenyuk was 17. Barkov shut him down and made him look below average player when they was matched against and in the defensive zone Galchenyuk couldn't so anything against Barkov. Made Galchenyuk look frustrated. Barkov was also way better than gally at that tournament. I would take Barkov pretty easily without bias. I think that Barkov is very underrated because he is european. He's right there with MacKinnon and Jones. Galchenyuk might have more WOW-factor in his game and is flashier but i would build team around Barkov if i had to choose between these 2.
I like Barkov a lot and really hope we can get him. I wouldn't say he is up there with Mackinnon and Jones just yet IMO, but if he continues to improve next season in the FEL, he can challenge for 1st overall, along with both Jones and Mackinnon.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:26 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
What do you guys think of us getting in the top 5 and pick Hunter Shinkaruk. He's definitely going to add offense to our team for many years to come. The next Jeffrey Skinner.
Him and Galchenyuk on the 1st line together, our Toews-Kane duo. (drools......)

Old
07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
I like Barkov a lot and really hope we can get him. I wouldn't say he is up there with Mackinnon and Jones just yet IMO, but if he continues to improve next season in the FEL, he can challenge for 1st overall, along with both Jones and Mackinnon.
I don't think he's remotely close. Bring Barkov in the CHL and if he performs well relative to Mckinnon, then maybe.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
S Bah

There are quite a number of QMJHL players that are drawing attention besides the obvious ones;Anthony Mantha 6'3 180lbs PF. Val D'or,Matt Murphy 6'1 185lbs Def. Val D'or,Nick Brouillard 5'10 147lbs Def.Drummondville,Emile Poirier 6'1 175lbs OF,Gatineau,.These along with Drouin,Carrier,Erne,Duclair and Sorenson not to forget Nick Baptiste from Sudbury6'2 200lbs budding PF.My darkhorse pick for the Habs so far,the season is young and I will be watching Shinkaruk, Lazar and Behemoth Defenceman 6'5 230lbs Keegan Kanzig in hometown Victoria.The WHL watch is in progress from here.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
There are quite a number of QMJHL players that are drawing attention besides the obvious ones;Anthony Mantha 6'3 180lbs PF. Val D'or,Matt Murphy 6'1 185lbs Def. Val D'or,Nick Brouillard 5'10 147lbs Def.Drummondville,Emile Poirier 6'1 175lbs OF,Gatineau,.These along with Drouin,Carrier,Erne,Duclair and Sorenson not to forget Nick Baptiste from Sudbury6'2 200lbs budding PF.My darkhorse pick for the Habs so far,the season is young and I will be watching Shinkaruk, Lazar and Behemoth Defenceman 6'5 230lbs Keegan Kanzig in hometown Victoria.The WHL watch is in progress from here.
From what i've heard it's shaping up to be a very good draft for the Q, so with the Habs having so many picks, (at least at this point) i'm sure Timmins and his staff will be keeping a close eye.

Closed Thread