HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I dont understand how some people can have Rychel, Lazar, Duclair and Drouin in their lineups. Hockey Canada usually only goes with the elite 17 year olds like Tavares, Stamkos etc. Even RNH and Seguin were left off as 17yo's. I thought I was pushing it by including Mackinnon, and two draft eligble 18yo's in Monahan and Shinkaruk.
Well, Hockey Canada will soon have to realize that, as more and more 18 and 19 year old players stick with the NHL team and are not released to the jr. team, that those particular players will have to be replaced with equally talented 17 year old and undrafted 18 year olds. The naming of players just because they are 19 and the WJHC is a tournament for 19 year old players is a philosophy that's not entirely been working these past few years. Players like Mackinnon and Drouin are better bets to replace those NHL players than some 19 year hulking OHLer who was picked more for his age than his skill set. Hockey Canada is going to have to change philosophies a little bit.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Well, Hockey Canada will soon have to realize that, as more and more 18 and 19 year old players stick with the NHL team and are not released to the jr. team, that those particular players will have to be replaced with equally talented 17 year old and undrafted 18 year olds. The naming of players just because they are 19 and the WJHC is a tournament for 19 year old players is a philosophy that's not entirely been working these past few years. Players like Mackinnon and Drouin are better bets to replace those NHL players than some 19 year hulking OHLer who was picked more for his age than his skill set. Hockey Canada is going to have to change philosophies a little bit.
I coundnt agree more, but unfortunately I dont think Hockey Canada sees it that way.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Vandelay Industries

what are Gaunces chances?

Old
07-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post
I'd say they're good depending on the direction they want to go with the team. If they want some good defensive play from the 3rd or 4th line, I can't think of a better pick than Gaunce. He would be really useful on the PK.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Vandelay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
I'd say they're good depending on the direction they want to go with the team. If they want some good defensive play from the 3rd or 4th line, I can't think of a better pick than Gaunce. He would be really useful on the PK.
Ok thanks. Hoping he makes it, its been a while since a Canuck pick played on team Canada

Old
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
malkin16

Ryan Pulock better get a look, easily one of the best two way defenders in the chl. he seems to be very underrated for some reason

Old
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I don't see any Canadian forwards who were drafted this past June making the NHL next season.

Hockey Canada took notice in 2009. The Canadian team, was comprised of Tavares, Evender Kane and Ryan Ellis who were heading towards their draft year. It wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming team contains 2 to 3 undrafted players again.

I believe it will be up front. We are solid on D, especially last draft, more Ds were picked in the 1st round than forwards. Hence, making a negative statement on the 94s forward.

The usual suspects would be:

Mackinnon: best 95 player, big strong and speedy, did exceptionally well at the Subway Super series last year

Duclair: his speed would be of benefit on the larger ice surface in Russia, without counting his shiftyness

Lazar: Lack of scorring power on the CND team, Lazar would fill that function superbly

Drouin: Playmaker abilities are uncomparable, would be beneficial against Russians

I see 2 or even 3 players from this list making the 2013 Canadian team.

Based on stats only, these 4 players can match the following players who's been invited to the Canada-Russia Challenge:

Hudon, 25G, 41A, 66 pts
Wilson, 9G, 18A 27 pts
Sutter, 28G, 21A, 59 pts
Leipsic, 28G, 30A, 58 pts
Lessio, 34G, 25A, 59 pts
Jenner, 22G, 27A, 59 pts

Old
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
I just think of how good our defence could be if Murray, Murphy and Hamilton don't make their big clubs.

Than you've got all the great kids from this years draft.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:29 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post
His skating may be an issue on the bigger ice surface.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkin16 View Post
Ryan Pulock better get a look, easily one of the best two way defenders in the chl. he seems to be very underrated for some reason
I think he's not included in a lot of projected lineups is because of this past years draft class. 8 D in in the top 10... Harrington and Murphy should be locks, and Dumba, Rielly, Pouliot, Reinhart, Ceci and Ouellet who are older options... That's 9 options above him despite Pulock's potential and talent.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:40 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
I don't see any Canadian forwards who were drafted this past June making the NHL next season.

Hockey Canada took notice in 2009. The Canadian team, was comprised of Tavares, Evender Kane and Ryan Ellis who were heading towards their draft year. It wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming team contains 2 to 3 undrafted players again.

I believe it will be up front. We are solid on D, especially last draft, more Ds were picked in the 1st round than forwards. Hence, making a negative statement on the 94s forward.

The usual suspects would be:

Mackinnon: best 95 player, big strong and speedy, did exceptionally well at the Subway Super series last year

Duclair: his speed would be of benefit on the larger ice surface in Russia, without counting his shiftyness

Lazar: Lack of scorring power on the CND team, Lazar would fill that function superbly

Drouin: Playmaker abilities are uncomparable, would be beneficial against Russians

I see 2 or even 3 players from this list making the 2013 Canadian team.

Based on stats only, these 4 players can match the following players who's been invited to the Canada-Russia Challenge:

Hudon, 25G, 41A, 66 pts
Wilson, 9G, 18A 27 pts
Sutter, 28G, 21A, 59 pts
Leipsic, 28G, 30A, 58 pts
Lessio, 34G, 25A, 59 pts
Jenner, 22G, 27A, 59 pts
I agree. It's time to start looking for the younger talent, especially since this years upcoming draft class is exceptional compared to past. I would love all 4 of those guys on the team, as we could use some scoring.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I agree. It's time to start looking for the younger talent, especially since this years upcoming draft class is exceptional compared to past. I would love all 4 of those guys on the team, as we could use some scoring.
There's nothing wrong 1-2 '95s on the roster, but 4? And all on offense? That's going to the other extreme. Maturity and experience are essential for the U20s.

None of Canada's teams during its run of 5 golds featured more than 2 double-underagers.

Last edited by Hanji: 07-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 09:41 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

I think Harrington is going to be back again this year.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:49 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

It's possible we have 4 95's, because Mackinnon,Drouin,Lazar and Duclair are probably the best 95 born players in Canada..

Old
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Hanji

Why not 1995 Sam Reinhart? He's maybe better than any of those guys apart from Mackinnon.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
There's nothing wrong 1-2 '95s on the roster, but 4? And all on offense? That's going to the other extreme. Maturity and experience are essential for the U20s.

None of Canada's teams during its run of 5 golds featured more than 2 double-underagers.
Agree! Maturity counts for lots! Mackinnon and Duclair faired very well at the U-17 in Winnipeg 2 yrs ago, when both were under aged players. Mackinnon led his team in scorring, while Duclair was used in PK, PP and shout-outs.

Agree again, during the run of 5 golds! Wayyyyyyyy back! This is a new era, in 2009, Team CND won gold with 3 players who wore face masks! Tavares, Kane and Ellie.

The 94 class has the best Ds, compared to the 95 class. No 95s D surpasses the 1st round Ds from June's draft. (No Canadian 95 D)

Plus, don't forget, these 4 players, at 16, scorred more goals/points than some players that are invited to the Can-Russ Challenge. Please see my post above on that subject!

The 95 class is exceptional and surpasses many, many very good players born in 93 and 94.

I believe Hockey Canada will invite these 4 to the December camp and 2 or 3 will make it. Especially, if they continue on the same level they finished last year.

Last edited by hockey365: 07-11-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
Why not 1995 Sam Reinhart? He's maybe better than any of those guys apart from Mackinnon.
You are correct, great player, might be in the mix as well. But Sam does not have one quality that jumps at you, he's very good overall, and maybe better than these players overall, but you'll need 1 quality to stand out.

Drouin: his playmaking skills, best quality. The best in the 95 class
Duclair: speed, if not the top skater, 2nd for sure
Lazar: clutch player

While Sam may be better overall than these players, but is he faster more of playmaker and clutch player than these guys? All arguments may be true! Plus he's a center. I don't see 2 95 Centers in that line-up.

I don't see Mackinnon playing anything else but center for that team. Most likely 2nd line center
While Duclair might have a shot at 2nd or 3rd line winger
Drouin as well
Lazar, might be moved to the wing, 3rd line as well.

Last edited by hockey365: 07-11-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Prophet Kadri

WIth the big ice I have to imagine the Canada brass are looking for a bit more puck movement from the backend. 1 defensive d-man pairing will be more than enough. Expect the 7th d man to be a puckmover as well.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:03 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Puempel-Scheifele-Rattie
Monahan-MacKinnon-Strome
Jenner-St. Croix-Shinkaruk
Danault-McNeill-Wilson

Harrington-Siemens
Murphy-Hamilton
Reinhart-Dumba
Reilly-Ceci
*Koekkoek, Percy and Pouliot

Subban
Binnington

Mike St. Croix would be good for the team, he has always been a sick player no one has noticed yet, I think He and Rattie will lead the WHL in scoring next season. BTW, look at the whole Oil King stats in 2009-10, didn't have good numbers but lead the team in everything.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Dhockey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I doubt Hubey plays in the CHL this year...

And MacKinnon wasn't close last year? He didn't get an invite (should've) but will be a sure thing this year imo.

Defense will be great regardless of who returns.
Canada's defensive corps is one of the best in recent memory. To think that first round picks like Derrick Pouliot, Slater Koekkoek, and Cody Ceci might end competing for an alternate spot is unbelievable. I foresee a low scoring defensive battle for Gold. Going to be an excellent tournament as usual.

Feel free to correct me if I'm way off...

Harrington-Hamilton
Siemens-Murphy
Reinhart-Dumba

Alternate/7th D: Koekkoek, Ceci, Pouliot, Percy?

Assuming Reilly makes the Leafs, though I think he'll stick for 7 or 8 games no matter what.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:26 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I don't think that Sam Reinhart is better then Drouin or Duclair, or Lazar.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:32 AM
SickHandsNoShot

Man, just reading this has me pumped for the World Jrs. Looks like all the major powers will have exceptional teams. Especially the D-men of USA, Canada, and Sweden.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:34 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkin16 View Post
How so? He's ranked in most 2013 rankings top 10. He wont make the world junior squad, see my above posts. Also at this point Harrington, Dumba, Rielly, Reinhart and Murphy are all better.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:38 AM
bsmith14

Drouin? Duclair? Lazar? Rychel? Now Sam Reinhart??

Hockey Canada is not picking any of these guys, I dont know what is so hard to understand that they do not pick 17yo's unless they are that far ahead of the curve (Mackinnon). Unless you guys are talking about the Ivan Hlinka? In that case yes all of those players will be there. Or maybe your talking about the 2014 world juniors? People realize that 93's are eligible right?

Matt Puempel
Ty Rattie
Ryan Strome
Phillip Danault
Brett Ritchie
Boone Jenner
Lucas Lessio
Nick Cousins
Seth Griffith
Daniel Catenacci

these are the players that hockey canada will take a long look at

Last edited by bsmith14: 07-12-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 01:03 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Drouin? Duclair? Lazar? Rychel? Now Sam Reinhart??

Hockey Canada is not picking any of these guys, I dont know what is so hard to understand that they do not pick 17yo's unless they are that far ahead of the curve (Mackinnon). Unless you guys are talking about the Ivan Hlinka? In that case yes all of those players will be there. Or maybe your talking about the 2014 world juniors? People realize that 93's are eligible right?

Matt Puempel
Ty Rattie
Ryan Strome
Phillip Danault
Brett Ritchie
Boone Jenner
Lucas Lessio
Nick Cousins
Seth Griffith
Daniel Catenacci

these are the players that hockey canada will take a long look at
And like many posters have said a lot of those 95's not named MacKinnon have more to offer than those players you mentioned... I don't know why some can't get over the age.

Closed Thread