HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Vlasic re-signed (5 years, through 17-18 season)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 07:12 PM
  #101
sharski
Registered User
 
sharski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pollak
His solid defensive play in 471 games over the past six seasons has transformed his nickname from Pickles to Steady Eddie, and he has chipped in 22 goals and 111 assists.


who calls him Steady Eddie?

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
  #102
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 46,670
vCash: 500
DP knows something we don't?

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  #103
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,181
vCash: 500
I'm very happy to see Steady Eddie signed long term.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:20 PM
  #104
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
wow great deal. no ntc too? this guy will be incredibly valuable trade bait when we go into our inevitable tank and rebuild after 2014 or so. trade him to a winner for picks and prospects and make our rebuild go a lil faster! also give him a shot at winning a cup.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  #105
SactoShark
fun must be alwalys
 
SactoShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,177
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
who calls him Steady Eddie?



SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:27 PM
  #106
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 302
i still don't understand why every one thinks the sharks are going to be going into even a mini rebuild in 2 years, when all the contracts come up.

the sharks have the peices on the team right now to keep this a playoff bound team for atleast another 4 or 5 years.

even if thornton and marleaus play drops off a little bit, the sharks have pavs and couture to take over the 1st line duties, then marleau and thornton move down a line or 2.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:33 PM
  #107
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
i still don't understand why every one thinks the sharks are going to be going into even a mini rebuild in 2 years, when all the contracts come up.

the sharks have the peices on the team right now to keep this a playoff bound team for atleast another 4 or 5 years.

even if thornton and marleaus play drops off a little bit, the sharks have pavs and couture to take over the 1st line duties, then marleau and thornton move down a line or 2.
because we have no prospects (at all) and our lack at signing ufas means we can't keep this up forever. detroit is finally going to enter theirs soon imo and havent done much the past 3 years. by 2015 we will either be like calgary and stay mediocre for years hunting for the magical 9th spot or just go into a rebuild (at least a mini rebuild) like many of the previous cup winners, eg boston, LA, chicago, pitts.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  #108
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice
 
Channing Tatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
very happy with this signing

Channing Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:44 PM
  #109
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,736
vCash: 500
Great Deal.

This locks up the defensive core one year beyond when all the big contracts end giving DW almost 2 years to work on replacing / resigning them and redesigning the O.

__________________

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
  #110
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 53,496
vCash: 500
http://downloads.sharks.nhl.com/podc...sic_signed.mp3

Sharks podcast on signing. (Rusanowsky narrating, includes portions of conference call.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:49 PM
  #111
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
because we have no prospects (at all) and our lack at signing ufas means we can't keep this up forever. detroit is finally going to enter theirs soon imo and havent done much the past 3 years. by 2015 we will either be like calgary and stay mediocre for years hunting for the magical 9th spot or just go into a rebuild (at least a mini rebuild) like many of the previous cup winners, eg boston, LA, chicago, pitts.
can i ask why you put up boston, LA, and the pens as in teams that had to go into mini rebuilds? especially LA.

just because those teams haven't won since, doesn't mean they went into a rebuild, even a mini one.

the pens not doing anything since has more to do with injuries, to 3 of there biggest and best players. 2 of them happen to be 2 of the best players to play the game right now, and could be argued if they keep there play up for another couple years, 2 of the best to ever play the game.

boston still has basically the exact same team that won the cup, just last year.

LA will have this team for the next 5 years, minor little tweaks here and there.

chicago, they played the cap circumventing all in now, roll of the dice for a cup and it payed off, and now they are paying for it because of the cap problems they ran into.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:00 PM
  #112
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
can i ask why you put up boston, LA, and the pens as in teams that had to go into mini rebuilds? especially LA.

just because those teams haven't won since, doesn't mean they went into a rebuild, even a mini one.

the pens not doing anything since has more to do with injuries, to 3 of there biggest and best players. 2 of them happen to be 2 of the best players to play the game right now, and could be argued if they keep there play up for another couple years, 2 of the best to ever play the game.

boston still has basically the exact same team that won the cup, just last year.

LA will have this team for the next 5 years, minor little tweaks here and there.

chicago, they played the cap circumventing all in now, roll of the dice for a cup and it payed off, and now they are paying for it because of the cap problems they ran into.
they all went into rebuilds prior to getting good again (and winning the cup). pitts sucked for 4 years straight nabbing crosby, malkin, fluery, and staal with lottery picks. LA was horrible for many years and got several high picks inc doughty, etc. boston sucked for 2 years after offloading thornton to us and got kessel, lucic, marchand, hamil during those drafts. chicago sucked for 4 years and got guys like toews, kane, barker (oops), seabrook, keith, skille (oops), beach, etc during those down years. basically each of these teams restocked with high picks and traded for more picks and importantly didn't trade any of theirs and got immediate help through cheap and young talent.

we have very little in the pipeline (irwin or dohetry i guess) and almost no forwards, and we don't usually sign big UFAs, so we either trade our picks for marginal help and muddle along like calgs tries to do every year, or we can trade away some assets for picks/prospects, get some lottery picks, and rebuild our team quickly.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM
  #113
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!
 
Spacemania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Signpost Forest, YT
Country: United Nations
Posts: 28,280
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
I did the happy dance when I heard the news over the radio.

People didn't look at me funny however (there used to me)

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:05 PM
  #114
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Good deal. The Sharks need Vlasic pretty badly. See for yourself... http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Hopefully Staurt can take some of the pressure off of him.

Well all the D needs is for Braun to make Murray obsolete. If that happens well yipeee

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
  #115
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,665
vCash: 500
I'm so excited to see the impact Robinson can have on our young defensemen who have already proven to be solid.

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:07 PM
  #116
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
they all went into rebuilds prior to getting good again (and winning the cup). pitts sucked for 4 years straight nabbing crosby, malkin, fluery, and staal with lottery picks. LA was horrible for many years and got several high picks inc doughty, etc. boston sucked for 2 years after offloading thornton to us and got kessel, lucic, marchand, hamil during those drafts. chicago sucked for 4 years and got guys like toews, kane, barker (oops), seabrook, keith, skille (oops), beach, etc during those down years. basically each of these teams restocked with high picks and traded for more picks and importantly didn't trade any of theirs and got immediate help through cheap and young talent.

we have very little in the pipeline (irwin or dohetry i guess) and almost no forwards, and we don't usually sign big UFAs, so we either trade our picks for marginal help and muddle along like calgs tries to do every year, or we can trade away some assets for picks/prospects, get some lottery picks, and rebuild our team quickly.
Yeah but those teams rebuilt because they sucked and were out of contention.

The pengs are silly to bring up. I don't think the Sharks can count on being last place at the best possible time and pick up comparables to Crosby and Malkin in the same draft

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
  #117
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Yeah but those teams rebuilt because they sucked and were out of contention.

The pengs are silly to bring up. I don't think the Sharks can count on being last place at the best possible time and pick up comparables to Crosby and Malkin in the same draft
not at all silly, just showing that the trend does exist of past winners going through a rebuild then winning it all. thats the last 4 champions. and im not suggesting we gun for last place, but that we realize that by 2015 boyle will be gone, jt and marleau will be on the decline big time (36 years old) as well as havlat (34) and we simply don't have anyone in our pool to replace them. so basically we'll have couture, pavs... and that's it!

so at this point we could do one of two things - go into a rebuild and trade some of our assets for young prospects and picks, NOT trade any of our picks and prospects (since 2000 we have like 3 first round picks we still have - couture, petricki, and the guy we just took this past season, and we have offed so many 2nd round picks), and see how we do (probably a lottery pick or at least a top 10 pick). OR we can continue on, trading away our picks for players, and fielding a decent team that has no shot at a cup and just hope for a low playoff seed. im talking about teams like dallas and calgs right now. both have decent teams but both always just miss out.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:46 PM
  #118
Sharksfan83
Registered User
 
Sharksfan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Vlasic makes players around him much better. That's a sign of a great player. This is a great deal.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:47 PM
  #119
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
not at all silly, just showing that the trend does exist of past winners going through a rebuild then winning it all. thats the last 4 champions. .
The Kings and Bruins never re-built. They were never good enough in the first place, neither were where the Sharks are and have been

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
  #120
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
The Kings and Bruins never re-built. They were never good enough in the first place, neither were where the Sharks are and have been
The year they traded for all those first rounds was a rebuild

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:07 PM
  #121
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
The Kings and Bruins never re-built. They were never good enough in the first place, neither were where the Sharks are and have been
Not making the playoffs for 6 seasons, trading for first rounders, and getting lottery picks (Doughty and Johnson), isn't rebuilding?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
  #122
drumzan
Registered User
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 671
vCash: 500
Honest talk...is there a team with a better top 6 D than the Sharks? Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Murray and Braun.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:22 PM
  #123
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Honest talk...is there a team with a better top 6 D than the Sharks? Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Murray and Braun.
Yes. Within the Division Yotes and Kings assuming Voynov continues to develop.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
  #124
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 10,750
vCash: 50
Yotes don't qualify as a real team until the next season starts

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
  #125
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,655
vCash: 500
I approve of this contract. Way to go, DW.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.