HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Michael Del Zotto.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
TorontoTrades

vCash: 500
Liles, MacArthur, 2nd

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Del Zotto + JT Miller + McIlrath for Taylor Hall.

Would do it if Hall wasn't the heart and soul of the Oilers. It's fair from a value perspective IMO

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Oshie, Rattie, 2nd for MDZ or Staal.
Thats actually an interesting one... Because than we could turn either Oshie or Stepan into Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan with some tweaking.

edit. for MDZ

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Del Zotto still has a ton of potential. His current play is often underrated on here from what I've seen and his potential even more so. He should be a well-rounded #2 in a year or two and NY would be crazy to trade him at this point.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Del Zotto still has a ton of potential. His current play is often underrated on here from what I've seen and his potential even more so. He should be a well-rounded #2 in a year or two and NY would be crazy to trade him at this point.
Yup, but D is our strength

Old
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oshie, Rattie, 2nd for MDZ or Staal.
No...

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
No...
No Blues fans want to trade Oshie which is fine by me. I however have no issue giving him up for a top pairing LHD. I get it, Cole will be that guy etc. Sorry to say he wont be that guy IMO. And this team D was exposed in the LA series. Unless Oshie is wanting to sign for a Perron deal that eats up UFA years at a good rate I think now is the time to trade him. Other wise you got him for 2 more years and then somebody is going to overpay big time for him.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
No Blues fans want to trade Oshie which is fine by me. I however have no issue giving him up for a top pairing LHD. I get it, Cole will be that guy etc. Sorry to say he wont be that guy IMO. And this team D was exposed in the LA series. Unless Oshie is wanting to sign for a Perron deal that eats up UFA years at a good rate I think now is the time to trade him. Other wise you got him for 2 more years and then somebody is going to overpay big time for him.
Trade does help both teams

Old
07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Michael Del Zotto is nothing special.

Not great defensively. Tends to make egregious mental mistakes and is a hot-head which causes even more problems.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:47 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Yup. MDZ is one of the primary examples of why HFBoards "experts" have to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

His Rookie year, the consensus on here was "37 points is great, but he was a -20! He sucks!"

His sophomore year, the song became "Yeah his +/- is under control, but he only scored 11 points! He sucks!"

This year, he puts up 41 points (better than two years ago) and a +20, and now people on here think he's a dime a dozen and rank him below a whole host of older, less accomplished PMD. Del Zotto is proof positive of the anti-Ranger emphasis on these boards. Put him in a Leafs jersey (not knocking Leaf fans, just plucking a team at random), and Del Zotto would be the second coming of Ray Bourque on here.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:53 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
First of all, MDZ is not a top pairing LHD. He might be some day, but right now he's far from it. McDonagh and Girardi were the workhorses of that defense last year, not MDZ.

Secondly, Oshie's the Blues best winger. He and Backes were by far and away the biggest driving forces behind the Blues ability to push the play forward and dominate chances/possession when other teams had their best lines on the ice. He fits Hitchcock's system perfectly. He's not going anywhere.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Vitto79

If DZ can play RD well in camp he will start the yr with Staal on the 2nd pair with McD and Girardi on the 1st........they can be interchangable..............then Erixon earns a spot in camp, Stralman rounds out the top 6 and Bickel spares.

key is if Sauer can come back healthy. Would make the D very strong.

I dont see the Rangers moving DZ without a top 4 Dman coming back. So not gonna happen just play the kid. He's the only true offensive Dman they have

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:07 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Not great defensively. Tends to make egregious mental mistakes and is a hot-head which causes even more problems.
MDZ is nothing special - Agreed. However, he's young and a legit offensive threat already and still learning the game and growing. Which means he will get better.

Not great defensively - Again, agreed, but he got better by leaps and bounds last season. Alot of people see the PO's and think that's how he played all year and they could not be more wrong. Again, he's young and learning and if we know one thing about this game, Defence can be taught and learned.

Tends to make egregious errors - EVERY 21 YEAR OLD PLAYER MAKES THOSE MISTAKES. It's part of the process of being an NHL'er at 19-20 and 21 years old.

Hot head that causes more problems? Not hot headed enough for me if you really want to know, I think he can stand to be more physical. Personally speaking I thought there were time where he should have reacted and didn't. And again, the coolness that you are looking for comes with age, maturity and seasoning.

A poster in another thread stated that MDZ was no better than 40-50 in the legaue. I found that funny as that would make him a top pairing guy. His offensive contributions would indicate as much, as he gets better defensively there's going to be no question about his status amongst NHL defenceman.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
First of all, MDZ is not a top pairing LHD. He might be some day, but right now he's far from it. McDonagh and Girardi were the workhorses of that defense last year, not MDZ.

Secondly, Oshie's the Blues best winger. He and Backes were by far and away the biggest driving forces behind the Blues ability to push the play forward and dominate chances/possession when other teams had their best lines on the ice. He fits Hitchcock's system perfectly. He's not going anywhere.
Agree with this post.

MDZ is trending to be a special kind of player, but as mentioned above, he's not fully there yet.

I would LOVE Oshie on this Rangers team but as mentioned, he's not going anywhere.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Amongst D-men, MDZ was:

11th in +/-
18th in points
16th in goals
22nd in assists
54th in TOI per game

He was also 15th in Norris voting this year. As a 21 year old.

He's not a top-pairing LHD on the Rangers because the Rangers have three guys who would be top pairing LHD on most teams (Staal, McD and MDZ). Based on what he is right now, Del Zotto CAN be considered as a top pairing LHD. Not a top flight one, but definitely capable of playing that role. He may develop into a top flight one someday, but that doesn't take away from what he already is.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

He's better than every Flyers D except for Timonen. lol

Schenn is the epitome of nothing special. Not good offensively, even worse defensively and absolutely no mobility. Glorified 3rd pairing defenseman. Too bad Holmgren sent over a big, fast LWer in return with potential.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I'd do Del Zotto for Shattenkirk straight-up. It would rebalance the power of the Blues D which is heavy on the right side and weak on the left side.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Amongst D-men, MDZ was:

11th in +/-
18th in points
16th in goals
22nd in assists
54th in TOI per game

He's not a top-pairing LHD on the Rangers because the Rangers have three guys who would be top pairing LHD on most teams (Staal, McD and MDZ). Based on what he is right now, Del Zotto CAN be considered as a top pairing LHD. Not a top flight one, but definitely capable of playing that role. He may develop into a top flight one someday, but that doesn't take away from what he already is.
Pretty much. The only reason he didn't log those minutes is because there are two other #1 LHD ahead of him on the depth chart.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
I'd do Del Zotto for Shattenkirk straight-up. It would rebalance the power of the Blues D which is heavy on the right side and weak on the left side.
This makes sense for the Rangers too. We desperately need a RHD to play with Staal. However, I think both teams are happy with the guys they developed.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Amongst D-men, MDZ was:

11th in +/-
18th in points
16th in goals
22nd in assists
54th in TOI per game

He's as much a top pairing Dman as Shattenkirk is, which is to say that he isn't. Shattenkirk's numbers are every bit as flashy as Del Zotto's, and he's no slouch defensively either...but he's still not the guy the coach hands the hard defensive minutes to. Not yet.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:

Oshie may not be going anywhere this year or next however if he does not sign a contract that eats into his UFA years do you really think the Blues bring him back in year 3 for market price? I doubt it because somebody is going to overpay. Are you willing to give him more then Backes to keep him on the team?

Listen I hope I am wrong and if I am great that means Oshie will remain a Blue however if he makes it to UFA I cant help but think he is gone. My guess would be if he does not agree to long term extension and settles on arb and goes on to have another good season I just dont see him signing a long term deal for anything short of 5 million until he tests the market.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
He's as much a top pairing Dman as Shattenkirk is, which is to say that he isn't. Shattenkirk's numbers are every bit as flashy as Del Zotto's, and he's no slouch defensively either...but he's still not the guy the coach hands the hard defensive minutes to. Not yet.
theres nothing wrong with a 2nd pair offensive dman...

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
theres nothing wrong with a 2nd pair offensive dman...
Who is saying that there is?

Old
07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oshie may not be going anywhere this year or next however if he does not sign a contract that eats into his UFA years do you really think the Blues bring him back in year 3 for market price? I doubt it because somebody is going to overpay. Are you willing to give him more then Backes to keep him on the team?

Listen I hope I am wrong and if I am great that means Oshie will remain a Blue however if he makes it to UFA I cant help but think he is gone. My guess would be if he does not agree to long term extension and settles on arb and goes on to have another good season I just dont see him signing a long term deal for anything short of 5 million until he tests the market.
That's multiple years down the road, if it ever becomes a concern at all. It seems reasonable to at least see what his contract status is going to be first, doesn't it?

Old
07-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Kershaw

Oshie is a great player, but I'd never move MDZ for him. Top 4 d-men are much more valuable than 2-way forwards IMO. MDZ is younger and has RFA years.