HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Ryan to Pittsburgh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2012, 07:07 PM
  #26
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post


Was my proposal that bad to warrant this? I didn't think so...
It kinda was...

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
  #27
Jahodac
Registered User
 
Jahodac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,449
vCash: 500
1. Why would the Ducks want defensive prospects?
2. Why would Shero trade "his guy" that he drafted 3 weeks ago?
3. Morrow for Etem is fair value but neither team would accept that trade either.
4. Kunitz won't be moved, he has chemistry with both Crosby and Malkin. Getting rid of him would just open up another hole.

I like Bobby Ryan, but the Penguins aren't going to gut the farm just to get Crosby his winger, and the Ducks aren't going to deal Bobby Ryan for unproven players.

Expect the Penguins to give Bennett and Tangradi a shot on the big team and probably try to make a play for Semin/Doan if they haven't already.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  #28
Jwm1986
Registered User
 
Jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
This proposal falls directly in line with the HF board phenomenon of trying to trade for a star player, while also adding a Top draft pick/prospect as well...

Its something i just dont understand....If a team is trading for Bobby Ryan, you really think the Ducks are also throwing their best prospect in as well? Especially when no star players are coming back? It makes no sense...

This is just like the:

Nash + 2 overall pick for XXXX that was suggested a few times....so far from reality....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:17 PM
  #29
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
1. Why would the Ducks want defensive prospects?
2. Why would Shero trade "his guy" that he drafted 3 weeks ago?
3. Morrow for Etem is fair value but neither team would accept that trade either.
4. Kunitz won't be moved, he has chemistry with both Crosby and Malkin. Getting rid of him would just open up another hole.

I like Bobby Ryan, but the Penguins aren't going to gut the farm just to get Crosby his winger, and the Ducks aren't going to deal Bobby Ryan for unproven players.

Expect the Penguins to give Bennett and Tangradi a shot on the big team and probably try to make a play for Semin/Doan if they haven't already.
This sums it up.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
  #30
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post


Was my proposal that bad to warrant this? I didn't think so...
Your proposal is pretty bad dude.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
  #31
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,568
vCash: 500
The pieces that would make us part with Ryan aren't there, and Etem just isn't going to be part of any prospect swap, i.e. Turris for Rundblad. Palmieri is the only guy I could see making it into a deal like that, and only for a comparable prospect(in both potential and development) at center, which the Pens don't have at the moment.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
  #32
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
1. Why would the Ducks want defensive prospects?
The other questions are legitimate, but this one is easily addressed.

The Ducks were a poor defensive team last year and Souray and Allen aren't likely to spark a major turn in their fortunes. In spite of Ducks fans' arguments to the contrary, with Schultz leaving their defensive prospect pool isn't offering much beyond Lindholm and Vatanen - and they're not without drawbacks either. Lindholm is likely years away from making an impact and Vatanen's size may prove to be an issue against more physical competition over an 82 game schedule.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
  #33
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The other questions are legitimate, but this one is easily addressed.

The Ducks were a poor defensive team last year and Souray and Allen aren't likely to spark a major turn in their fortunes. In spite of Ducks fans' arguments to the contrary, with Schultz leaving their defensive prospect pool isn't offering much beyond Lindholm and Vatanen - and they're not without drawbacks either. Lindholm is likely years away from making an impact and Vatanen's size may prove to be an issue against more physical competition over an 82 game schedule.
But prospects will.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:44 PM
  #34
Jesus Teemu
Registered User
 
Jesus Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,116
vCash: 500
And then we add Etem?

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:48 PM
  #35
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
But prospects will.
Did I say that? You're a sharp poster, I'm sure you're able to put that sentence in context with the rest of the paragraph, whether you agree with it or not.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:49 PM
  #36
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Hey guys, I know this is something that has been talked about a lot in the past and almost all Pittsburgh and Ducks fans, I assume, hate this topic. I do as well considering the history of it.

However, I wanted to bring it back up and sincerely discuss what would be needed to bring someone of Ryan caliber to Pittsburgh. And, please don't turn this into an argument over if Ryan is good or not. He's an excellent, top-notch player that very fan, every team would love to have.

Having said that, what would be needed to bring him over? We lost probably the biggest asset to bring him in Staal however we have a choke full of defensive prospects.

Would a trade around this work?


Joe Morrow
Derrick Pouliot
Chris Kunitz


Bobby Ryan
Emerson Etem

I am not even sure if its fair trade value wise but let me know. No flaming, please!

P.S.: It's not titled as a "Proposal" because I have simply chosen to give a sample trade but I wanted to mainly have discussions on what would be needed to bring him over and not discussions about why my proposal sucks so bad.
That is a bad offer for just Ryan, asking for Etem too? lol

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
  #37
Dragon Priest
Go Pens, Go Sharks!
 
Dragon Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metalheaven
Country: United States
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Would love for the Pens to acquire Ryan. But its unlikely. The guy that would have made the most sense and intrigued the Ducks is gone (Staal). And Pittsburgh might not have the pieces Anaheim is looking for, especially in a number 2 center. Crosby won't being traded, nor Malkin and Sutter moving is highly unlikely. So I don't expect a deal between these two in the near future unless things change.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:02 PM
  #38
madinsomniac
Registered User
 
madinsomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 500
If the Pens are in the mix for Ryan it will be a three way trade where the pens deal defensive prospects to a third team who deals the players who fit the Ducks needs more adequately...

The pens have too many top defensive guys right now... there will be backlogging if they dont trade some sooner or later... Id rather them wait till the deadline and see if any of the younger wingers stick and if their defense is solid... moreover by then injuries could wreck the team making a trade for a win now type player useless. The price for Ryan may simply be too high right now... if its true that the team and he have to part ways the cost will go down eventually if someone doesnt overpay.....

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
  #39
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post


Was my proposal that bad to warrant this? I didn't think so...
Yea... it was.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
  #40
yellowjacket313
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
If they traded Morrow and Pouliot I would jump off a bridge.

yellowjacket313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
  #41
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Did I say that? You're a sharp poster, I'm sure you're able to put that sentence in context with the rest of the paragraph, whether you agree with it or not.
That entire paragraph is uninformed. Allen and Souray weren't brought in to fix the defense. They are there to add size and toughness. We had the 10th best record in the league last year in shots allowed. We were 21st in save percentage. Maybe that means that the people that actually watched the Ducks play are right when they say that inconsistent goal tending was one of our biggest problems. Our defense also got pushed around a bit in front of the crease.

I find it funny that Lindholm is years away, even though most of what I've read has him as being among the closest defensemen in this draft to being NHL ready. Our team is currently trying to convince him to leave Sweden early to compete for a spot.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM
  #42
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71
 
SinfulCobraZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Ok I got off for some time and came back here. Now that I look at it, the proposal is atrocious not only because both teams would never part with their best prospect, although it may make some sense for the Penguins to get an offensive talent of the same caliber. In other words Kunitz + Pouliot is not an offer that gets top winger like Ryan and I understand that and I see that the Ducks aren't as intensely looking for defense as before draft, as Emerald Duck explained.

Thanks for the feedback guys and hopefully a trade can happen between us because I would love to have some on like Ryan on this team. If we don't get him though, keep him away from Philly.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
  #43
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,477
vCash: 500
Unless youre willing to take an offer of Ryan++ for Malkin or Crosby then theres nothing of interest in terms of swapping Ryan. Neal is lateral and Letang isnt a need, and would cost too much for not being a need.

Without Staal, theres no chance of Ryan moving to Pittsburgh.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
  #44
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket313 View Post
If they traded Morrow and Pouliot I would jump off a bridge.
I agree.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:47 PM
  #45
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Not trying to be a dick, but the Ducks don't touch this with a 20 foot poll.

Absolutely no reason for the Ducks to make this move.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
  #46
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That entire paragraph is uninformed. Allen and Souray weren't brought in to fix the defense. They are there to add size and toughness. We had the 10th best record in the league last year in shots allowed. We were 21st in save percentage. Maybe that means that the people that actually watched the Ducks play are right when they say that inconsistent goal tending was one of our biggest problems. Our defense also got pushed around a bit in front of the crease.
Yeah, and the Pens had the 4th best shots against per game in the playoffs last year. Shots against is not a reliable indication of defense, because it only measures quantity and not quality.

Whatever the Ducks' goaltending issues, their defense is a weakness. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
I find it funny that Lindholm is years away, even though most of what I've read has him as being among the closest defensemen in this draft to being NHL ready. Our team is currently trying to convince him to leave Sweden early to compete for a spot.
Of the past 2 drafts ('10 and '11), only 3 defensemen have played NHL games. If Lindholm makes the NHL within the next couple years, he'll be in the overwhelming minority, even for high draftees.

If he bucks the trend and forces his way into the line-up, great for you. But it wouldn't seem like a prudent move to pencil a teenager into the line-up.

I get it though, Ducks fans don't want any defense prospects. We'll see if the pipeline justifies your confidence in the coming years.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
  #47
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
KingKopitar11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 14,099
vCash: 500
More like Letang + pouliot for ryan

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:14 PM
  #48
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah, and the Pens had the 4th best shots against per game in the playoffs last year. Shots against is not a reliable indication of defense, because it only measures quantity and not quality.

Whatever the Ducks' goaltending issues, their defense is a weakness. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.



Of the past 2 drafts ('10 and '11), only 3 defensemen have played NHL games. If Lindholm makes the NHL within the next couple years, he'll be in the overwhelming minority, even for high draftees.

If he bucks the trend and forces his way into the line-up, great for you. But it wouldn't seem like a prudent move to pencil a teenager into the line-up.

I get it though, Ducks fans don't want any defense prospects. We'll see if the pipeline justifies your confidence in the coming years.
The Ducks also had a goaltender who suffered from vertigo the first half of the season. And if they had given up 10 fewer goals would have been 11th in goals against. They weren't as bad as the numbers appear. And Fleury was horrible in the playoffs, those weren't by and large quality chances he was watching go by him.

Regardless, defensive prospects aren't going to do anything whatsoever to help the Ducks win this year, which would be the only reason to trade Ryan - to win THIS year.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:18 PM
  #49
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
More like Letang + pouliot for ryan
I wouldn't trade Letang alone for Ryan. He's a #1 D-Man. That's usually worth more.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
  #50
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 40,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The Ducks also had a goaltender who suffered from vertigo the first half of the season. And if they had given up 10 fewer goals would have been 11th in goals against. They weren't as bad as the numbers appear. And Fleury was horrible in the playoffs, those weren't by and large quality chances he was watching go by him.
Fleury was horrible in the playoffs, and so was the defense. The Pens gave up breakaways and 2-on-1s like they were going out of style, and refused to make things difficult for Philly in front of the net.

Quote:
Regardless, defensive prospects aren't going to do anything whatsoever to help the Ducks win this year, which would be the only reason to trade Ryan - to win THIS year.
We'll see.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.