HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part X) - "I'm Doan waiting around for Nash" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Ok, if Sather were to feed into all this and trade really quickly so everyone here can get their fix...we'd be pissing all over everything because the trade would be Stepan Kreider for Nash...

Something will get done but on Sather's terms and a deal everyone will like. Him waiting this long means he's most likely going to fleece Howson so let's be patient here something is going to happen even if it's two weeks before the season starts.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
ltrangerfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
There is no way the Rangers are going into this season looking at what holes they need to fill. Sather and Torts already both said the offense needed to be addressed because we needed more scoring. This is New York, the Rangers were 2 wins away from the SCF, to take a step back now to "see what we have" will not fly with our fan base.
I believe and have believed for weeks that they will not sign a major piece and will take a step back (is playing the same team a step back?). They wanted to improve the scoring but I'm guessing that Sather is unwilling to pull the trigger and pay up.

I suspect that they are presently hoping that When it comes time for Howsen to deal they will have the pole position.

IMO this off season is coming down to Nash or nothing. I don't envy their position.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:05 PM
broadwayblue

They have 7 months to get the team into form for the post season run. That's a lot of time. No need to deal for anyone over the summer if the value isn't there.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Lundsanity30

Ok guys, let me see if I can settle you guys down a bit....

lines with gaborik right now are..

hagelin-richards-gaborik
kreider-stepan-callahan
dubinsky-anisimov-boyle
pyatt-halpern-rupp

With the exception of maybe boyle, how many people (that didn't want a ridiculous contract as a FA) are better than anyone on our 3rd line? The Rangers need depth yes, but they need that TOP 6 GUY to push everyone else down in order to make us a better scoring team. Parise (who wasn't coming and no way on 13 years), Nash and Ryan that we know of are the ONLY guys worth really pursuing to fix this scoring issue. Why are we whining that we didn't sign Peter freaking Mueller?

Old
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Ok, if Sather were to feed into all this and trade really quickly so everyone here can get their fix...we'd be pissing all over everything because the trade would be Stepan Kreider for Nash...

Something will get done but on Sather's terms and a deal everyone will like. Him waiting this long means he's most likely going to fleece Howson so let's be patient here something is going to happen even if it's two weeks before the season starts.
Well, I ****ing hope so, because we're not really creating alot of options. Our only options this offseason, it seems, is via a trade and Nash/Ryan. I'm very, very, disappointed so far. Please, make us a legit contender for the cup, not just regular-season champs. I do not care about the regular season, I want to win the cup.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

By the way, the trade might be completely out of left field and shock all of us in a good way. Maybe snagging a top winger from somewhere who hasn't been discussed yet. He's most likely talking to other teams, Howson needs to realize that there are other teams out there that might give up a quality player on a decent contract for the packages that Sather's coming up with for Nash.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:

hagelin-richards-gaborik
kreider-stepan-callahan
dubinsky-anisimov-boyle
pyatt-halpern-rupp

With the exception of maybe boyle, how many people (that didn't want a ridiculous contract as a FA) are better than anyone on our 3rd line? The Rangers need depth yes, but they need that TOP 6 GUY to push everyone else down in order to make us a better scoring team. Parise (who wasn't coming and no way on 13 years), Nash and Ryan that we know of are the ONLY guys worth really pursuing to fix this scoring issue. Why are we whining that we didn't sign Peter freaking Mueller?
Because Mueller would've given us so many more options when it comes to scoring. It seems we're going to try and grind our way to the cup, this season as well. Can't wait until we get exposed for our lack of scoring in the playoffs.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Well, I ****ing hope so, because we're not really creating alot of options. Our only options this offseason, it seems, is via a trade and Nash/Ryan. I'm very, very, disappointed so far. Please, make us a legit contender for the cup, not just regular-season champs. I do not care about the regular season, I want to win the cup.
Exactly why you shouldn't be disappointed right now. As you say, the key is success in the post season. To that end you have up until the trade deadline to acquire the necessary pieces. I'd rather win the cup than the conference...so there's no need to have the best team in the league on opening night. Just be patient and Sather will bring in the missing links.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Our team is fine for the regular season. We need someone who is a game changer that can help us in the post season when it really matters, when the games are tougher, Mueller, Sykora, Kostisyn, hagelin, guys like them are fine regular season players and probably will help our goal scoring cheaper than someone like Nash. However, Nash is the game changer (or someone like him) that this team needs in order to win a Stanley Cup. because you need someone with pure talent to take all the heat off Gaborik to do it all by himself. JMO

I understand where your coming from, tried to address my concern with Nash and the playoffs last time you mentioned this.

We just don't know how he will produce in the playoffs, he is 28 with little playoff experience.

This is what both Sykora and Kostisyn, actually have that Nash does not have, and that is Playoff Experience and Success, even Hagelin has more playoff experience then Nash. Hell Kreider has never played a regular season game, and he already brings more playoff experience then Nash.

All we can judge Nash by is regular season contribution, if we are looking for playoff help he is the wrong direction.

Quote:
Mueller is a reclammation project, you know that right?
Nothing wrong with low risk high reward on the third line, worst case scenario we are back to square one. That is the big difference between a FA and a trade, if a trade giving up multiple assets doesnt work, it can screw up everything. No giving up top 6 players in a trade, again this is just my preference.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Because Mueller would've given us so many more options when it comes to scoring. It seems we're going to try and grind our way to the cup, this season as well. Can't wait until we get exposed for our lack of scoring in the playoffs.
How so??? who is he better than? or are we going to put him on our 4th line?

Old
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
I agree with you man. Need scoring. Need a guy like Nash or Ryan or anyone who can score some goals.

Just pump the brakes though, something will be done. I hate speaking in such absolutes like a wiener face but this is a situation where I know someones coming..who and when is the issue but not one to get so worked up about so early in the off season.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
I understand where your coming from, tried to address my concern with Nash and the playoffs last time you mentioned this.

We just don't know how he will produce in the playoffs, he is 28 with little playoff experience.

This is what both Sykora and Kostisyn, actually have that Nash does not have, and that is Playoff Experience and Success, even Hagelin has more playoff experience then Nash. Hell Kreider has never played a regular season game, and he already brings more playoff experience then Nash.

All we can judge Nash by is regular season contribution, if we are looking for playoff help he is the wrong direction.
No, because a game changer is what this team needs. non experience in the playoffs aside, Nash brings talent that no one except for maybe Gaborik on this team possesses.

Old
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
All of you've done is state at stats and make assumptions, honestly who the **** are you to tell me I'm wrong? He scored 40 with Malhotra, but its ridiculous that he will score 40 with Richards. But please do tell me how he is clearly on the decline. All you're doing is proving that you don't watch and just read stat sheets.

Clearly when a team is out in the first month of the year he lost motivation. Everyone can see how he is uninterested in playing for Columbus. It's hard to get over 65 points when playing with ECHL'ers. And all I've said was that he has had international success which is a fact, and that he isn't on a decline.
I'm not making assumptions. I said his stats declined in each of the last three years. That's not an assumption. That is a fact.

He scored 40 with Malhotra four years ago. Four years ago. Four years ago.

He scored 30 with Derrick Brassarrd last year. You're telling me Malhotra is a better playmaker than Brassard? Brassard outscored Nash last year on the PP.

"ECHL'ers"?????? Vinny Prospal the ECHL'er outscored Nash at even strength....for the entire season.

More Failed Logic.

You bring up "lost motivation". Wow, what a great leadership trait from a captain. "My team stinks, so I won't play as hard".

Can you please prove to me how he isn't on the decline. Pretty please? With sugar on top?

Old
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
I think the biggest concern is that JVR isn't a center, he's a wing. Weird time to start playing center.
Ah, right. Totally went over my head that hes not a natural center.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, because a game changer is what this team needs. non experience in the playoffs aside, Nash brings talent that no one except for maybe Gaborik on this team possesses.
Just curious why you think this team needs a "game changer"? Obviously that's a nice add, but far from necessary. Add a count on 25-30 goal guy and this team will be in the top 5 in offense once Gaborik is back in the lineup. That's sufficient when you've also got a top 5 defense.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:17 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
That he does but we are also giving away talent. If we can do this with just giving up dubi and hagelin I am fine with it.

But if we can't, and they keep asking for Stepan, I think we should just back off sign a guy like Kostitsyn and call it a day. But also if we do get our way and trade dubi and hagelin for nash, a guy like Kostitsyn will still be a more then suitable replacement on the third line for dubi or hagelin should they both go in a trade for Nash

Old
07-11-2012, 09:18 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

hagelin-richards-gaborik
kreider-stepan-callahan
dubinsky-anisimov-boyle
pyatt-halpern-rupp

Add a defense of:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Erixon
MDZ-Stralman

That lineup, when healthy, is better than what they entered the 2012 postseason with.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:19 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Add a defense of:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Erixon
MDZ-Stralman

That lineup, when healthy, is better than what they entered the 2012 postseason with.
He'll be ready for this season?

Old
07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Just curious why you think this team needs a "game changer"? Obviously that's a nice add, but far from necessary. Add a count on 25-30 goal guy and this team will be in the top 5 in offense once Gaborik is back in the lineup. That's sufficient when you've also got a top 5 defense.
the game changer is needed for the playoffs, when the games are tougher, the defense is stronger, and everyone is do or die, etc. someone LIKE nash (doesn't have to be him exactly), is neeed to take all the pressure of Richards and Gaborik. I don't disagree that adding someone who can pot 20 will help this team score goals, my thing is, will it help them score goals in the playoffs? You need skill, toughness, creativity, and someone who can finish, Nash brings all of that. Again, I'm not saying go "all in" on Nash, but if the price is reasonable, we need to pull the trigger.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I agree with you man. Need scoring. Need a guy like Nash or Ryan or anyone who can score some goals.

Just pump the brakes though, something will be done. I hate speaking in such absolutes like a wiener face but this is a situation where I know someones coming..who and when is the issue but not one to get so worked up about so early in the off season.
I sure hope so. We're laying alot of eggs in the trade-basket and thus not really creating a situation where we can fleece the other gm.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:22 PM
jskramer83

Quote:

hagelin-richards-gaborik
kreider-stepan-callahan
dubinsky-anisimov-boyle
pyatt-halpern-rupp

I would think Pyatt would be third line wing over boyle, but even as you have the third line is better then it was, during the Winter Classic this year.

Dubi Anisimov Pyatt>>>Dubi Boyle Mitchell

Old
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Add a defense of:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Erixon
MDZ-Stralman

And that team with Nash in Hagelin's place and another third line forward (acquired via another trade, free agency or brought up from our system) in Dubinsky's place would be even better.

Nash may not be worth acquiring at the price Howson is asking, however, at a reasonable price he makes this team significantly better. If you're trying to argue that Nash isn't worth $7.8M/year, I think you'll find most people agree. However, he won't kill our cap situation with Dubinsky's salary off the books, and we have some other big contracts (like Gaborik) coming off the books at times that will make it easier to resign our young RFAs and Lundqvist.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
they will have the pole position.
The only guy assuming the "Pole Position" is going to be Howson, regardless of what happens with Nash

Old
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
the game changer is needed for the playoffs, when the games are tougher, the defense is stronger, and everyone is do or die, etc. someone LIKE nash (doesn't have to be him exactly), is neeed to take all the pressure of Richards and Gaborik. I don't disagree that adding someone who can pot 20 will help this team score goals, my thing is, will it help them score goals in the playoffs? You need skill, toughness, creativity, and someone who can finish, Nash brings all of that. Again, I'm not saying go "all in" on Nash, but if the price is reasonable, we need to pull the trigger.
Fair enough. Personally I disagree, because I believe adding another 25-30 (not 20) goal guy would already balance out our top two lines and make it impossible for a team to shut everyone down. Plus, that drops someone else to the 3rd line, giving us another more dangerous scoring threat as well. At the end of the day there really aren't that many game breakers anyway.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
He'll be ready for this season?
He's a lefty but the Rangers have made a habit of having at least one inexperienced guy earn a job either out of camp of a few weeks into the season.

Erixon was drafted in 2009.

He spent three full seasons in the SEL and one split between the AHL and NHL.

He'll be 22 by mid-season.

I think he should be ready.

Closed Thread