HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You're the GM! How do you build the Habs for next season? Part 2

Old
07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
The Doors

vCash: 500
Say you could get Huselius for half of the 4.5 he was paid last year, on a one year deal to prove his health? Would you sign him for 2.25?

Huselius - Plekanec - Gionta

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:14 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Say you could get Huselius for half of the 4.5 he was paid last year, on a one year deal to prove his health? Would you sign him for 2.25?

Huselius - Plekanec - Gionta
You'd have to demote Gomez, or move out Kaberle or Bourque, get back no salary in return and it'd still be cutting it close.

Dunno if it's worth it for a health risk like Huselius.

I also doubt if they weren't all that interested in Jagr they'd be interested in Huselius.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:16 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
You'd have to demote Gomez, or move out Kaberle or Bourque, get back no salary in return and it'd still be cutting it close.

Dunno if it's worth it for a health risk like Huselius.

I also doubt if they weren't all that interested in Jagr they'd be interested in Huselius.
I wouldn't aggresively pursue it, but later in the summer if we have some room and he's available for nothing it might be worth a gamble.

If we could get him on what I suggested, or even better, a deal like what Boyes signed with NYI.. I'd probably do it. It would inject some nice skill in the top six, or make an interesting LW for Eller.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:20 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I wouldn't aggresively pursue it, but later in the summer if we have some room and he's available for nothing it might be worth a gamble.

If we could get him on what I suggested, or even better, a deal like what Boyes signed with NYI.. I'd probably do it. It would inject some nice skill in the top six.
Oh for sure, I really like that idea. Just don't know if I would be so on board that I'd want to demote/waive Gomez to do it.

One thing that needs to be remembered, if Gomez goes down it's almost a guarantee he won't pass through re-entry waivers if they try.

He's pretty bad, but in a new situation at a salary of 3.675 (and 2.75/2.25 real dollars) for the next 2 years I think there will be quite a few teams who will put in a claim on him. So you have to think if he goes down for the season, unless the team is okay with that 3.675 cap hit for whatever is left of the season and another one than he'll stay down.

If you really thought about it, and looked at what Gomez brings to the table compared with his negative aspects he could be an asset to a team. Just not at 7.35.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
The Doors

Quote:
He's pretty bad, but in a new situation at a salary of 3.675 (and 2.75/2.25 real dollars) for the next 2 years I think there will be quite a few teams who will put in a claim on him. So you have to think if he goes down for the season, unless the team is okay with that 3.675 cap hit for whatever is left of the season and another one than he'll stay down.
I have a feeling the team will ignore the caphit and let Gomez try and play solid, two-way hockey. Moen - Gomez - Gionta wouldn't be the end of the world as far a veteran line goes. Not ideal, but we can't magically make his contract disappear so people just have to be open to the idea taht under THerrien he can sort of re-mold his game, or re-invent himself as a chippy bottom six centreman that can pop in some offence.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I have a feeling the team will ignore the caphit and let Gomez try and play solid, two-way hockey. Moen - Gomez - Gionta wouldn't be the end of the world as far a veteran line goes. Not ideal, but we can't magically make his contract disappear so people just have to be open to the idea taht under THerrien he can sort of re-mold his game, or re-invent himself as a chippy bottom six centreman that can pop in some offence.
The thing that is problematic with Gomez is that Eller is just a better fit at center and he should get better as opposed to Gomez who will get worse.

And with that line you put forth, unless Desharnais moves to the wing, Eller will have to.

Maybe the Habs take a proactive approach, and view a situation in a couple of years with Galchenyuk as their number 1 center, Plekx as their top shutdown guy, and Desh playing in an offensively sheltered situation and decide to move Eller to the wing...

But honestly moving Eller to the wing to accomodate a 5 foot 6 guy in Desharnais makes no sense to me, should be the other way around.

But I mean...

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Eller
Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Moen-Gomez-Gionta
Prust-Noeks-White/Army

Is a pretty decent top 12.

It's just so tough...could G love be an effective winger? Could he be an effective 4th line C who could get some PP time?

I dunno...it's the million dollar question this fall.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Or maybe you try to form a real true shutdown line:

Moen-Plekx-Eller

And form the rest of the lines in accordance with that.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Plekx-Eller

Not sure if Moen could play as much as I'd want that line to play, up against other teams top lines.

Also, if trading Plekx seems like a plausible option in a year or two that sure isn't like to "help" his trade value either.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Or maybe you try to form a real true shutdown line:

Moen-Plekx-Eller

And form the rest of the lines in accordance with that.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Plekx-Eller

Not sure if Moen could play as much as I'd want that line to play, up against other teams top lines.

Also, if trading Plekx seems like a plausible option in a year or two that sure isn't like to "help" his trade value either.
What do you think of Eller on the RW with DD and Pac? That's a talented line and could help bring some offensive prowess out in Eller playing with a creative C like DD. He played great with an offensive guy like AK46 on his line. On the RW using his size and shot he could be groomed into a poor-man's Hossa type player.

Since it's likely Gomer is here, turn him into a feisty two-way centreman holding it down on a veteran line with Moen and Gionta. A throwback to the 2010 playoffs.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Eller
Bourque - Plekanec - Cole
Moen - Gomez - Gionta
Prust - White - Armstrong

That's a pretty savvy veteran lineup with a boom or bust style young first line, two 2-way veteran second lines, and one helluva grind line. You could flip Moen and Armstrong.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:07 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
What do you think of Eller on the RW with DD and Pac? That's a talented line and could help bring some offensive prowess out in Eller playing with a creative C like DD. He played great with an offensive guy like AK46 on his line. On the RW using his size and shot he could be groomed into a poor-man's Hossa type player.

Since it's likely Gomer is here, turn him into a feisty two-way centreman holding it down on a veteran line with Moen and Gionta. A throwback to the 2010 playoffs.

Moen - Gomez - Gionta

That's a pretty savvy veteran lineup with a boom or bust style young first line, two 2-way veteran second lines, and one helluva grind line. You could flip Moen and Armstrong.
I like the Moen-Gomez-Gio line, but I just hated Eller on the wing last season, maybe it was the system, but he didnt impress me at all

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I like the Moen-Gomez-Gio line, but I just hated Eller on the wing last season, maybe it was the system, but he didnt impress me at all
I just feel like Pacioretty - Desharnais - Larry Eller would be lethal. All DD wants to do is pass, all Eller wants to do is shoot. Pacioretty and Eller could totally be like the bash brothers out there, Eller has some attitude to his game when he gets confidently rolling on offence.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

Moen - Gomez - Gionta

I like it. That's a lot of size and speed on the wings for the Habs as well.

That 2nd line lacks a playmaker, and I thought the playmaking ability of DD was a huge part why that line was so successful.

But it's also a really fast line with 2 big fast wingers and 3 guys who are all capable of 25+ goals.

I relaly like the idea of Plekanec-Eller together, with another component on the LW to form a great shutdown line, and depending on who that LW is, could be a pretty offensive unit too.

Bourque-DD-Cole
Moen-Gomez-Gionta
Prust-Noeks/White-Armstrong

Pretty minor changes from yours. Still lots of size on the wings, I really like that to pline. I'd like to see Pacioretty further develop his 2 way game and he always impressed me in his limited 3rd and 4th line minutes in his first couples years so I really feel like he'd be able to handle it.

And then imagine a

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz
Kaberle-Emelin

top 6

So much speed and forechecking combined with fantastic puck moving abilities, literally every d-man in that top 6 is solid at moving the puck up the ice, ranging from solid (Gorges) to Elite (Markov (provided he's healthy that is)).

Hell maybe I'm just a biased fan...but I see a lot of potential and a lot to look forward to next year.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I just feel like Pacioretty - Desharnais - Larry Eller would be lethal. All DD wants to do is pass, all Eller wants to do is shoot. Pacioretty and Eller could totally be like the bash brothers out there, Eller has some attitude to his game when he gets confidently rolling on offence.
That line idea really does intrigue me...like I said in my post I just made, I just kind of like Plekx centering Eller, if Eller is moved...as those are IMO the 2 best 2 way forwards on the team (guys with top 6/scoring potential anyways) and that could be huge.

Love the "Larry" part.

Larry Eller...what a beauty.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
The Doors

Quote:
I like it. That's a lot of size and speed on the wings for the Habs as well.

That 2nd line lacks a playmaker, and I thought the playmaking ability of DD was a huge part why that line was so successful.

But it's also a really fast line with 2 big fast wingers and 3 guys who are all capable of 25+ goals.

I relaly like the idea of Plekanec-Eller together, with another component on the LW to form a great shutdown line, and depending on who that LW is, could be a pretty offensive unit too.

Bourque-DD-Cole
Moen-Gomez-Gionta
Prust-Noeks/White-Armstrong

Pretty minor changes from yours. Still lots of size on the wings, I really like that to pline. I'd like to see Pacioretty further develop his 2 way game and he always impressed me in his limited 3rd and 4th line minutes in his first couples years so I really feel like he'd be able to handle it.

And then imagine a

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz
Kaberle-Emelin

top 6

So much speed and forechecking combined with fantastic puck moving abilities, literally every d-man in that top 6 is solid at moving the puck up the ice, ranging from solid (Gorges) to Elite (Markov (provided he's healthy that is)).

Hell maybe I'm just a biased fan...but I see a lot of potential and a lot to look forward to next year.
I think on a site like HFBoards where cap space and potential are valued more than accomplishments and veteran players, the Habs can get a bit underrated. They're certainly not overrated. What I think makes them a unique team from the rest of the league is the question marks. We've seen with this group the last 2-3 years that it's very easy for them to be a fantastic team, or an awful team. Hell, even last year we saw glimpses of a good team.

So much of the Habs hinges on the health of key players, and a strong powerplay. Unfortunately, both of those things are tied to Markov, and a big shot for him to feed.

All of the problems that we had back in the days we relied on Markov anchoring the team (smaller sized weak wingers, soft bottom six) are no longer problems. The forward group is big, fast, and agressive. So, by logic, now that the problems we have in '09 and '10 are gone, as long as Markov is back to himself, the Habs should be too.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:23 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I think on a site like HFBoards where cap space and potential are valued more than accomplishments and veteran players, the Habs can get a bit underrated. They're certainly not overrated. What I think makes them a unique team from the rest of the league is the question marks. We've seen with this group the last 2-3 years that it's very easy for them to be a fantastic team, or an awful team. Hell, even last year we saw glimpses of a good team.

So much of the Habs hinges on the health of key players, and a strong powerplay. Unfortunately, both of those things are tied to Markov, and a big shot for him to feed.

All of the problems that we had back in the days we relied on Markov anchoring the team (smaller sized weak wingers, soft bottom six) are no longer problems. The forward group is big, fast, and agressive. So, by logic, now that the problems we have in '09 and '10 are gone, as long as Markov is back to himself, the Habs should be too.
For sure man. Plus from 09/10 look how far along Subban, Price and Pacioretty have come. Not to mention the emergence of Desharnais.

The most exciting thing about this team is that we could very well see Price will the team to a playoff spot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had his best season yet. Even better than 2010/2011.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Just one other thing....while in the past if Markov went down it was a death blow for the team...I think this team has some options/potential at defence that even if Markov is simply not the player he used to be, or gets injured again...this team might just have a solid defence anyways.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:35 PM
otto bond

So if I'm MB, I'm looking for a top 4 solid defensive Dman and a play making winger with some size.
trade bait!
usual suspect are
Bourque
Palushaj
Weber
Kaberle

My only untouchable are-
Price-true number 1
Pacioretty- young snipper with more upside matched with character
Subban- pure energy, character, talent and charisma
Galchenyuk- new drafted stud center
Tinordi- mamate of a man, with solid character qualities..lots of upside
Leblanc-home boy with character, grit and talent.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote