HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Jeff Halpern (1 year @ 700K)

Old
07-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
This guy is criminally underrated..even as a 3rd/4th liner. Love this signing.
agreed same as the Pyatt signing...both will improve the team...Asham and Haley can be another chris simon and sean avery so who knows what the Rangers have here.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
ltsthinaz

Guys are going crazy arguing over split hairs.

We need more scoring on the top two lines, period. Sather got these guys cheap, Prust wanted way too much money. Can't overpay for guys like Rupp, he's a nice guy on HBO Rangers?Flyers, on the ice he mostly stinks. It's a cap league. We got Asham/Pyatt/Halperin et al cheap, leaves us money to sign players who can actually play while the bottom six is roughly the same.

If we win the Cup, it is because of McD/Girardi/Staal/King/Kreider/Gaborik/Richards, etc, not these guys.

Be nice to have a kid make the squad too even if on the 4th line.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post

We need more scoring on the top two lines, period. Sather got these guys cheap, Prust wanted way too much money. Can't overpay for guys like Rupp, he's a nice guy on HBO Rangers?Flyers, on the ice he mostly stinks. It's a cap league. We got Asham/Pyatt/Halperin et al cheap, leaves us money to sign players who can actually play while the bottom six is roughly the same.

If we win the Cup, it is because of McD/Girardi/Staal/King/Kreider/Gaborik/Richards, etc, not these guys.

Its because of every player on the team. This day and age teams are so equal so one weak player is enough to literally keep a team out of contention.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post

To be fair, he was hurt all year.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:33 AM
94now

Jeff is a prototypical stop gap player. Good one, but no one gives him longer contract, assuming his replcement is in pipeline. Who is he stop gapping for?
I think Slats is going to upgrade his offer to CBJ by including AA in the deal.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:43 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Jeff is a prototypical stop gap player. Good one, but no one gives him longer contract, assuming his replcement is in pipeline. Who is he stop gapping for?
I think Slats is going to upgrade his offer to CBJ by including AA in the deal.
Thats what alot of us here think...im sure Dubinsky and Anisimov will not be with NYR start of camp.Unless CBJs asking price is still absurd and NYR dont get Ryan.

I cant say enough how much i would love to see Ryan and Doan in NYR sweaters

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
5 on 5 anisimov is a superior defender to Boyle... But it doesn't mean I wouldn't trade aa and keep Boyle

The reason aa isnt on the pk is because he isn't the greatest shot blocker and his stops and starts are a little late, but as far as reading the defensive zone I'll say with confidence he's one of the best if not the best forward defender this team has had the last 3 seasons

Boyle has been caught out of position many a time out there.
And I have never seen Anisimov cover for a pinching defenseman his entire Ranger career while playing center or wing. He also gets outmuscled down low or around the net like a child playing amongst men. He neither has the strength or smarts to his his frame to an advantage.

Yes Boyle has been caught out of position, but Anisimov is not a superior defender 5 on 5. I would place Boyle second only to Callahan as far as defensive forwards go, Fedotenko would have been third followed by Prust after that it was a crapshoot.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Halpern is a smart cookie

Quote:
But he doesn’t discount that 14 physical postseason games wound up affecting the Rangers in their six-game loss to the Devils in the Eastern Conference final.

“If the Rangers had won in six, I don’t think I would have been surprised,” Halpern said of the Devils’ series. “I thought the Washington-New York series was real physical and hard fought and Ottawa was hard fought and physical. Those are 14 tough games. New Jersey got a break (five games in the second round against the Flyers). If they started the playoffs (playing each other), I don’t know if it’s the same result.”
Quote:
On whether the Rangers have indicated to him what they see as his role: “I talked a little bit with coach, with Torts. We had a brief conversation and exchanged messages a couple of times. We went over a couple of things.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r..._jeff_halpern/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I love the fact that Boyle is great on the PK yet somehow always out of position on 5-on-5. If he was always out of position and not playing great D 5-on-5, Torts WOULDN'T ****ING HAVE HIM ON THE ICE ALL THE TIME.

Do some of you guys just throw away logic when talking about Boyle and AA?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
To throw something you would need to have it in your hands first.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Anisimov and Boyle are about equal defensively at even strength. My eyes indicate that. Statistics corroborate it. Anisimov was on the ice for 31 GA at even strength. Boyle was on the ice for 38 at ES. They had relatively similar ES time (12:24 for Boyle, 12:44 for Anisimov). They were relatively equal in 5/5 QualComp (.581 for Boyle, .561 for Anisimov).

The major difference between the two, statistically, is that Anisimov started over 50% of his shifts in the offensive zone whereas Boyle was less than 30%. Then again, Anisimov also ended over 50% of his shifts in the offensive zone whereas Boyle ended a little over 40% of his shifts there. This is just an indication in a difference of roles.

Also, based on what I watch, Anisimov is extremely responsible defensively. It's why he was such an important part of the GAS line last year. Not for his offensive presence, because he clearly wasn't providing much of that, but because he allowed Stepan to be more aggressive offensively. He played the role of Lehtinen to Modano-Hull (not that Stepan-Gaborik are really a great comparison there )

I also don't think Anisimov is a bad penalty killer. Tortorella doesn't disagree with that either. It's not 100% where his game is being utilized, but it's not like the coach is reluctant to put him out there. He gets spot duty.

I was pretty disappointed with Anisimov's offensive output last season. However, I'm willing to overlook it due to him playing a position he wasn't totally comfortable in, forcing him to focus on his defense more than I would like. Let him play 3rd line C next year, I think we'll all be much happier with him.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Halpern is a smart cookie
Well, the guy did go to Princeton...

Old
07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Anisimov's 7 less GA at ES is helped by his .930 On Ice SV percentage compared to .912 for Boyle as well

Old
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Anisimov's 7 less GA at ES is helped by his .930 On Ice SV percentage compared to .912 for Boyle as well
Well, you could look at that stat in one of two ways.

Either it's meaningless, because it's not like Lundqvist and Biron are magically better goaltenders simply due to Anisimov's presence.

Or it's an indication that opponents are getting higher quality shots when Boyle is on the ice, which would seem to say that Anisimov is a better player in the defensive zone.

Personally, I believe the former.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Well, you could look at that stat in one of two ways.

Either it's meaningless, because it's not like Lundqvist and Biron are magically better goaltenders simply due to Anisimov's presence.

Or it's an indication that opponents are getting higher quality shots when Boyle is on the ice, which would seem to say that Anisimov is a better player in the defensive zone.

Personally, I believe the former.
Or you could look at it another: when you evaluating players based on a sample size of 30-40 events, there's a big luck factor involved. Anisimov, in 2011-12 was a lot luckier in the defensive zone than Boyle.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Or you could look at it another: when you evaluating players based on a sample size of 30-40 events, there's a big luck factor involved. Anisimov, in 2011-12 was a lot luckier in the defensive zone than Boyle.
30-40 events? You think their opponents only got off 30-40 shots over a whole season against each of these players?

Anisimov was on the ice for 419 ES shots against last season. Boyle for 435. Luck tends not to weigh too heavily on those numbers.

Last edited by Tawnos: 07-11-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
30-40 events? You think their opponents only got off 30-40 shots over a whole season against each of these players?
I'm referring to their GA (38 vs. 31) that you mentioned. I'm saying to look at those numbers without the On Ice save percentage is ignoring the luck element.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Advanced stats do not work in hockey.

Tortorella trusts Boyle more then he trusts Anisimov.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
I'm referring to their GA (38 vs. 31) that you mentioned. I'm saying to look at those numbers without the On Ice save percentage is ignoring the luck element.
Save percentage is a measure of goals over total shots, not of goals. There is little luck element when you're discussing numbers in the range we're talking about in regards to SVP.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Advanced stats do not work in hockey.

Tortorella trusts Boyle more then he trusts Anisimov.
Tortorella trusts Boyle more to start in the defensive zone than Anisimov, for sure. But that doesn't mean that he trusts Boyle more overall. That's just an indication of each player's respective faceoff ability and each player's respective role on the team.

And yes, advanced stats do work in hockey. Unlike baseball, though, they still require interpretation.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Save percentage is a measure of goals over total shots, not of goals. There is little luck element when you're discussing numbers in the range we're talking about in regards to SVP.
Yeah, I know what save percentage is.

What I'm saying is this:

You brought in the stat of Anisimov's 31 ES GA vs. Boyle's 38. I'm saying that number is influenced by luck, and used their OnIceSV% to try to show that. OnIceSV% has been shown to largely regress to the mean in the long run. Meaning any large differences are due mainly to luck.

If the luck were eliminated, they would have virtually the same ES GA. And with Boyle starting nearly 3/4 of his shifts in the defensive zone.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:20 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
has to be lindberg.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:01 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
has to be lindberg.
Or another stop gap...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I love the fact that Boyle is great on the PK yet somehow always out of position on 5-on-5. If he was always out of position and not playing great D 5-on-5, Torts WOULDN'T ****ING HAVE HIM ON THE ICE ALL THE TIME.

It's pretty obvious... Anisimov is 'home grown.' If Boyle was a 6th round draft pick by the Rangers 5 years ago, then we'd be discussing all the hard work he'd done to become a productive member of the team. We'd be talking about how he's a hard working part of 'the core.'

No one discusses that Anisimovs offense hasn't developed as hoped even though he's played on lines with the teams best offensive players. How's he's become a very mediocre 2-way forward, but hey, he's home grown.

Personally, I think this is put up or shut up year for AA...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:13 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
It's pretty obvious... Anisimov is 'home grown.' If Boyle was a 6th round draft pick by the Rangers 5 years ago, then we'd be discussing all the hard work he'd done to become a productive member of the team. We'd be talking about how he's a hard working part of 'the core.'

No one discusses that Anisimovs offense hasn't developed as hoped even though he's played on lines with the teams best offensive players. How's he's become a very mediocre 2-way forward, but hey, he's home grown.
Some people already do that.

They're wrong.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote