HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now that we have Crosby for life, what about Malkin?

View Poll Results: Malkin ...........
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for the 11 years remaining on Crosby’s salary 47 37.90%
Will sign with the Pens for the same $8.7 million for 5 years or less 10 8.06%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million long term 34 27.42%
Will sign with the Pens for between $8.7 million and $9.5 million for 5 years or less 7 5.65%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million long term 8 6.45%
Will sign with the Pens for more than $9.5 million for 5 years or less 2 1.61%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit long term. 0 0%
Will sign with the Pens for the max cap hit for 5 years or less 0 0%
Will sign with the Flyers to troll us 4 3.23%
Malkin will go back to Russia for a billion Rubles a day 2 1.61%
Malkin will stop playing hockey to remake Conan the Barbarian with Alyonka 10 8.06%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i understand, but parise was saying the exact same stuff.
As I see it, the defining differences between Malkin and Staal are that Malkin gets legitimate scoring line opportunities, and doesn't have a brother he's longing to play with.

The defining differences between Malkin and Parise are that Malkin knows he can win with this core because he has, and there is no opportunity for him to play in his hometown and remain in the best league in the world.

Really a perfect storm for Geno here. The only argument for him moving is the "ego" argument, and there's very little to support that.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
As I see it, the defining differences between Malkin and Staal are that Malkin gets legitimate scoring line opportunities, and doesn't have a brother he's longing to play with.
That and Malkin is infinitely more skilled than Staal. Minor detail.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:53 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
What people say and what people do often don't line up. Ask Nashville and New Jersey fans about that.
You realize that you're talking about the player who snuck out of Russia in the middle of the night to play hockey in the NHL? He's not going back.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Because unlike Jagr, Radulov and all these other losers who run for the easy money, he wants to be the best player in the best league on the planet. The KHL is a joke for someone like Malkin, in the prime of his career. Maybe when he's 35 or something, and has won more Cups, he'd think about a huge offer. Right now, no ****ing way. For him competing for Cups is half the equation, take that out and all the money in the world doesn't make it better.
Hey that is your hope but I can't speak to a guy willingly turning down 100 million more dollars. He has already won all those things you listed, he knows he is the best player over here or at least goes home with nothing left to accomplish in the trophy case department.

I understand why Pens fans feel this is cut and dry and it will happen as far as his extension, I am just saying there is a plausable scenario where Malkin goes to Russia. I said I hope he doesn't and I am not here to start some trolling campaign or anything of that nature. I didn't say it in a mean way or say Pittsburgh sucks, I said he is unique in that he has already accomplished so much in the NHL. His talent will probably couple ridiculous offers in Russia and the kind of commitment it would take to pry him out of North America. To date really only Kovy saw that kind of offer and financial commitment from a Russian team and even that is sketchy on reports and he had yet to accomplish a lot of his goals.

Coming off the Olympics I could see it happening is all. CSKA has an owner worth 14 billion dollars. He won't get the offer to play in Siberia but rather in a big city. Any number of teams might pony that up for him, to ignore that I think is to bury your head in the sand. Plus the KHL has longed to make a statement like this against the league and prepared by putting in rules such as this not counting against their cap. They are going to get somebody at some point on this and it isn't going to be just Radulov. I really honestly hope it isn't Malkin, but why wouldn't he be their primary target?

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:

The defining differences between Malkin and Parise are that Malkin knows he can win with this core because he has, and there is no opportunity for him to play in his hometown and remain in the best league in the world.

Really a perfect storm for Geno here. The only argument for him moving is the "ego" argument, and there's very little to support that.
in addition to ego, money could also be a factor. some garbage team could probably offer more than the pens.

and sure, now with hindsight it seems clear/understandable why staal and parise went to different teams. but before this offseason, pens/devils fans could come up with perfectly plausable explanations for why both guys would be content with their current teams.

things change. maybe in two season the red wings are willing to pay top $ for malkin, making him the face of that historic winning franchise. and malkin wants to go play with countryman datysuk.

who knows, all i'm saying is it's far from a guarantee that he stays as most pens fans would like to believe.

also i think its way more likely malkin goes to another nhl team than going back to russia.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:08 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

It's too bad they can't extend him this summer.

Last edited by HuskerTornado: 07-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.
HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:20 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
You realize that you're talking about the player who snuck out of Russia in the middle of the night to play hockey in the NHL? He's not going back.
Fedorov did that. Chances are that has been forgiven otherwise he wouldn't suit up for Team Russia and he wouldn't spend large chunks of his off-season over there.

10 year - 200 million

12 years (probably less because of term length in new CBA) - 104 million.

You guys really think he doesn't give that a good hard look? Maybe the best thing for the Pens would be a 7 year max in the new CBA, that way he can play seven more years and still cash in on that mega contract in Russia at the end of that deal.

By the way this isn't just something that scares me as a fan of how Malkin plays hockey. I have hard time believing the Wings will sign Datsyuk when his contract is up in two years. He is much older but still this is a potential problem coming up soon when you look at the difference they can put between contracts in the two leagues with the cap percentage hit rules over here.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Hey that is your hope but I can't speak to a guy willingly turning down 100 million more dollars. He has already won all those things you listed, he knows he is the best player over here or at least goes home with nothing left to accomplish in the trophy case department.

I understand why Pens fans feel this is cut and dry and it will happen as far as his extension, I am just saying there is a plausable scenario where Malkin goes to Russia. I said I hope he doesn't and I am not here to start some trolling campaign or anything of that nature. I didn't say it in a mean way or say Pittsburgh sucks, I said he is unique in that he has already accomplished so much in the NHL. His talent will probably couple ridiculous offers in Russia and the kind of commitment it would take to pry him out of North America. To date really only Kovy saw that kind of offer and financial commitment from a Russian team and even that is sketchy on reports and he had yet to accomplish a lot of his goals.

Coming off the Olympics I could see it happening is all. CSKA has an owner worth 14 billion dollars. He won't get the offer to play in Siberia but rather in a big city. Any number of teams might pony that up for him, to ignore that I think is to bury your head in the sand. Plus the KHL has longed to make a statement like this against the league and prepared by putting in rules such as this not counting against their cap. They are going to get somebody at some point on this and it isn't going to be just Radulov. I really honestly hope it isn't Malkin, but why wouldn't he be their primary target?
If anything, that's a reason for him to stay, especially if you put the situation in historical perspective. There is no precedent for an established superstar leaving the NHL for a foreign league in the middle of his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
in addition to ego, money could also be a factor. some garbage team could probably offer more than the pens.

and sure, now with hindsight it seems clear/understandable why staal and parise went to different teams. but before this offseason, pens/devils fans could come up with perfectly plausable explanations for why both guys would be content with their current teams.

things change. maybe in two season the red wings are willing to pay top $ for malkin, making him the face of that historic winning franchise. and malkin wants to go play with countryman datysuk.

who knows, all i'm saying is it's far from a guarantee that he stays as most pens fans would like to believe.

also i think its way more likely malkin goes to another nhl team than going back to russia.
Money has never been a determining issue for Malkin before, but I feel confident in saying regardless of what Sid is making, if it came down to it, the Pens would give Malkin whatever money and term he wanted.

Anything can happen, of course. I mean, Brodeur was a UFA only a few days ago. I just think that given Malkin's character and his history of success with the club, he's as good a bet to re-sign with Pittsburgh as any superstar in the league is to re-sign with their team.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Fedorov did that. Chances are that has been forgiven otherwise he wouldn't suit up for Team Russia and he wouldn't spend large chunks of his off-season over there.

10 year - 200 million

You guys really think he doesn't give that a good hard look? Maybe the best thing for the Pens would be a 7 year max in the new CBA, that way he can play seven more years and still cash in on that mega contract in Russia at the end of that deal.
No. I think he'd handily prefer the elite competition, guaranteed contracts, and first-class transportation the NHL has to offer.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:31 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
No. I think he'd handily prefer the elite competition, guaranteed contracts, and first-class transportation the NHL has to offer.
Agreed. The guy, from all I have heard, seems so driven to be the best. And the NHL is only place for that to happen.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Agreed. The guy, from all I have heard, seems so driven to be the best. And the NHL is only place for that to happen.
Yep.

Quote:
Although tonight could end up being special for Malkin -- he has been a finalist for the Hart and Lindsay twice before but has yet to win either -- he seems more interested in what lies ahead.

"I want to play better 10 more years," he said. "I don't want to stay on the same level. I want to go up."
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz20MNwacpB

Old
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:

10 year - 200 million

By the way this isn't just something that scares me as a fan of how Malkin plays hockey. I have hard time believing the Wings will sign Datsyuk when his contract is up in two years. He is much older but still this is a potential problem coming up soon when you look at the difference they can put between contracts in the two leagues with the cap percentage hit rules over here.
What Russia wants doesn't matter. Malkin's words and actions indicate that he much prefers playing in the US.

. . . And I'm sure signing in Russia is very attractive given the events that have transpired over the past two years and the life Malkin's made for himself over here. You can talk abou ifs and woulds and coulds all day, but if you're looking at the reality of the situation and parties involved, this really isn't much of a discussion.

I get the feeling you're a troll, if only because you're a Red Wings fan and this is the first time I've seen you post here and you're suggesting one of the league's best players is going to leave for a ridiculous contract that won't be offered.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:

10 year - 200 million

It's not a matter of it being "forgiven." If he wanted to play in the KHL he wouldn't have hid in a bathroom and snuck out of an airport on a team trip in order to escape his contract, he'd have just stayed there. Or he'd do a Radulov and just go back to Russia now. Not to mention that the KHL hasn't exactly had a stellar track record since he left in terms of, you know, player safety. Pretty sure that's a factor as well.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:28 PM
mashsoccer37

Calling it now:

We do not sign Malkin this next offseason coming up. After winning the cup two seasons from now, Malkin is ready to become an UFA. Shero "shops" him around for his rights and gets multiple lucrative offers. However, Shero opts to send Malkin's right to Philly for two 1st round draft picks. However, Malkin does not sign with Philly... You see, Malkin was always intending to sign with the Pens. Shero is at his doorstep at the stroke of midnight (or noon, you know what I mean) with a contract for $8.7 x 11 (or 7 depending on the CBA) and Malkin signs. We retain Malkin with a blank check (although I truly doubt he would take more than Sid's cap hit) and deplete Philly of 1st round picks for 2 years.

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Jahodac

Shero's not dumb. If he didn't expect Malkin to re-sign, Staal would have been kept and Malkin would have been traded. The Penguins have 11 million in cap space which is more than enough to give Malkin a fair raise.

Malkin doesn't strike me as a guy who will leave for money. Didn't hr criticize Talbot for leaving over money?

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
SEALBound

IMHO, Malkin has just as much access to "Shero's blank check" as Sid.

He'll follow Crosby as best he can...but he gets signed for a significant amount of time. You just do not let players like him go.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

The Stanley Cup is only awarded in one league. From all accounts, he's dedicated to not only win more of those, but be one of the all-time greats in the best league in the world.

A feat that he's well on his way to achieving. There will always be that huge offer waiting for him in the KHL when he's, say, 38 or so.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
I really think Malkin is going to get a stupid offer from Russia. 10 years 200 million how does he turn that down?
Because deals in the KHL aren't guaranteed.

Because teams cut corners and have their players sleep in gymnasiums rather than rent hotel rooms, etc.

There's a lot of reasons he won't go to the KHL. Probably the same reasons Kovalchuk had a chance to go, was offered the world, and didn't go.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

This is not complicated. What's better: Geno making $9M a year for the next 8 years or whatever it is, winning Cups (hint: one is not enough for him and he has said so multiple times), playing with and against the best players in the world, in a town he loves... or making $20M a year in a **** league, possibly not even in his home town or close to it (i.e. probably a place he'd like less than Pittsburgh), and having his life's work during that time mean nothing to him? You seem to be operating under the television drama theory that everyone has their price and will sell out to do something they hate if the money is high enough. Some people however, are smarter than that.

At a certain point it doesn't matter how many millions a year you are making; once you're happy and comfortable with your salary you'll go do the things that make you happiest. And that ain't in the KHL for Geno. No time soon anyway. Moreover your $20M theory is completely random speculation. You don't even know if there are teams who would pay that. For any player.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
This is not complicated. What's better: Geno making $9M a year for the next 8 years or whatever it is, winning Cups (hint: one is not enough for him and he has said so multiple times), playing with and against the best players in the world, in a town he loves... or making $20M a year in a **** league, possibly not even in his home town or close to it (i.e. probably a place he'd like less than Pittsburgh), and having his life's work during that time mean nothing to him? You seem to be operating under the television drama theory that everyone has their price and will sell out to do something they hate if the money is high enough. Some people however, are smarter than that.

At a certain point it doesn't matter how many millions a year you are making; once you're happy and comfortable with your salary you'll go do the things that make you happiest. And that ain't in the KHL for Geno. No time soon anyway. Moreover your $20M theory is completely random speculation. You don't even know if there are teams who would pay that. For any player.

This guy would like a word with you

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

KHL would definitely pony up $15M for that guy ^, but not 20.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:16 PM
stefanh

The big difference with the Parise situation is that the Devils actually agreed to sign him to a one year deal that took him to UFA this summer. If that wasnt a sign of him leaving I don't know what is.

What happened this summer was the devils and the preds screwing themselves through bad management. Then the fanbases took out their anger on the players who left as free agents when anyone could see it happen.

Malkin is my favourite player but if Shero can't sign him to an extention next summer he will have to be traded.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
The big difference with the Parise situation is that the Devils actually agreed to sign him to a one year deal that took him to UFA this summer. If that wasnt a sign of him leaving I don't know what is.

What happened this summer was the devils and the preds screwing themselves through bad management. Then the fanbases took out their anger on the players who left as free agents when anyone could see it happen.

Malkin is my favourite player but if Shero can't sign him to an extention next summer he will have to be traded.
That management 'mistake' got the Devils within a couple of overtimes of a Stanely Cup. Given the benefit of hindsight, they made the right move. What could the Devils have gotten last year for Parise that would have made up for losing that almost cup run and within a lucky bounce or two of a cup?

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
That management 'mistake' got the Devils within a couple of overtimes of a Stanely Cup. Given the benefit of hindsight, they made the right move. What could the Devils have gotten last year for Parise that would have made up for losing that almost cup run and within a lucky bounce or two of a cup?
If you're guaranteed a cup sure I'd take the risk of losing franchise players for nothing but there just arent any guarantees and that's why trading Staal this summer was the right move.

They took the risk of losing Parise for nothing, they lost him for nothing and didn't win a cup and I don't see them getting there anytime soon again.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
If you're guaranteed a cup sure I'd take the risk of losing franchise players for nothing but there just arent any guarantees and that's why trading Staal this summer was the right move.

They took the risk of losing Parise for nothing, they lost him for nothing and didn't win a cup and I don't see them getting there anytime soon again.
Oh, I had no problem with the Staal trade, was very in favor of it. Just saying that in hindsight, the Parise non-trade by the Devils is not a good example considering how things turned out.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote