HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Signings: Signings and your proposals.

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I'm trying to remember Lombardi's past. He played with Phoenix and then during free agency he was offered a large amount of money by Nashville that Phoenix couldn't match so he left the Coyotes for the Predators? If what I think happened is true I guess Phoenix could still be interested in him. And with the cap up so much now, his cap hit isn't as big of a problem anymore.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

vCash: 500
Oh man I totally confused Nashville and Phoenix.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
LetzgoEggo

All quiet on the western front.... (insert tumbleweed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iIIuR-HjFho

Old
07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The team is not a player, it is the group of players.

Goalie is part of a team's abilities.

If you don't fill that role adequately you hurt the team.

You don't think teams need goalies?
So I guess we can agree that the Leafs would be a better team than Calgary with decent goaltending. A playoff team.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
The thing about Lombadri is that he's still a very capable Top 9 winger (when healthy) that can play both Wing and Centre.

The issue is his cap hit in relation to the question marks surrounding him.

There isn't much of a market there, if any.

I see him getting buried in depth rather than being moved.

Phoenix has expressed some interest in Lombadri, but with so many question marks surrounding that franchise, I doubt we see them make any significant moves at this point in the summer.
I'm one of the few who`d like to see us hold onto Lombardi unless we have to clear cap space to bring in an upgrade.

Clearing him off the books so that we can just slot a lesser player like Komarov, Mueller or whoever is this years version of Dupuis, Sjostrom, Wallin, Hanson, etc. will only hurt us.

Lombardi will be better with an off-season to train and a full training camp. A lot of fans scream that we should have signed Chris Kelly this off-season. Prior to the concussion Lombardi was just as good of a player as Kelly if not better. I`d like to give him the chance to get back to that level with the Leafs.

Instead of trading him just for the sake of trading him.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
So I guess we can agree that the Leafs would be a better team than Calgary with decent goaltending. A playoff team.
Feaster inherited a mess but there were still some good top end pieces to start off with. Burke inherited absolute garbage with no core pieces. What Feaster inherited was closer to what JFJ started with.

Feaster inherited

Kipper - Belfour
Jaybo, Giordano - Kaberle, McCabe
Iginla - Sundin
Traded for Cammi - Signed Blake
Signed Wideman -Signed Kubina

Old
07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Possibly.

But we can prove only what has happened, not what might happen.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
Old
07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Possibly.

But we can prove only what has happened, not what might happen.
But you said you realize that we would have, almost like you were certain.

Anyway, with the Leafs being a young team, and a good goalie away from being a playoff team, I'm excited for the Leafs future.

Go Leafs Go

Old
07-11-2012, 09:12 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Feaster inherited a mess but there were still some good top end pieces to start off with. Burke inherited absolute garbage with no core pieces. What Feaster inherited was closer to what JFJ started with.

Feaster inherited

Kipper - Belfour
Jaybo, Giordano - Kaberle, McCabe
Iginla - Sundin
Traded for Cammi - Signed Blake
Signed Wideman -Signed Kubina
Also JFJ managed to create a team that got into the playoffs. Burke and Feaster have not.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Peter Mueller to Florida.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
But you said you realize that we would have, almost like you were certain.

Anyway, with the Leafs being a young team, and a good goalie away from being a playoff team, I'm excited for the Leafs future.

Go Leafs Go
I think they could have but we can't even prove they would have if they traded Lombardi for Malkin, Connolly for Kopitar, Schenn for Weber, and Gustavsson for Kiprusoff.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:24 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Also JFJ managed to create a team that got into the playoffs. Burke and Feaster have not.
JFJ didn't create a playoff team, he stepped into a playoff team on the decline and just watched it die.

Old
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
CrankuptheSnakes
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Schenn kills him the first time they play Philly...

Old
07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
I think they could have but we can't even prove they would have if they traded Lombardi for Malkin, Connolly for Kopitar, Schenn for Weber, and Gustavsson for Kiprusoff.
I don't really dwell on the past. I'm putting your comment about being one good goalie away from the Playoffs into context. Which is the Leafs are young and a piece away from being a playoff team. Things are not all doom and gloom ULF, the Leafs have a bright future.

GO LEAFS GO

Old
07-11-2012, 09:57 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
What JFJ team made the playoffs?

Old
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
awww...i wanted hiM

07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Duffman955

Are there even any rumors surrounding the leafs?

Man this is turning out to be Burke's slowest Offseason, although everything can change with one move.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Create? Didn't Fletcher create that team? JFJ just gave away our future for players who played maybe 1 or 2 years with us and didn't get us any further into the playoffs. Then Fletcher came back for a short period and made everything worse. Yeah our team hasn't done much since Burke got here but what do you expect when he's stuck with 5 players with NTC or NMC? Kinda hard to do a proper rebuild in Toronto because the fans expect playoffs every year but Burke has done a good job making sure we have a future and and has a pretty damn good team now and would of easily been a playoff team if injuries and consistensy didn't kill us. Look what he did in Vancouver and look how good they are a few years after he left and after all the players he drafted were developed properly. There's 1 main reason why I dislike JFJ and that is because he traded our pick in the 03 draft. Perry was my favorite player in that draft because I watched him and the Knights a lot that year and knew he was gonna be a good player in the NHL and we could of had him or Richards I believe but we trade that pick for Nolan I think?

Old
07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Grant
LL Genius

When I look at ULF's signature, all I can think is thank god for UFA's and trades.

Stalberg (22) - Steen (15) - Kulemin (7)
Tlusty (17) - Wellwood (18) - Frattin (8)
Mitchell (5) - Stajan (8) - Komarov (0)
Rau (2) - Earl (0) - Williams (0)

Stralman (2) - Gunnarsson (4)
White (7) - Harrison (9)
Holzer (0) - Colaiacovo (2)
Vorobiev (0)

Reimer (0.900)

126 goals . Only one team this past year scored fewer than 200 goals and that was Minny with 177. Safe to say this team would've finished dead last by a mile haha.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Are there even any rumors surrounding the leafs?

Man this is turning out to be Burke's slowest Offseason, although everything can change with one move.
burke will probably make some splash soon. watch him pull two trade at once lol

Old
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
burke will probably make some splash soon. watch him pull two trade at once lol
If it is similar to the last time he made two trades at once I will be extremely excited... haha

Instead of Beauchemin, Liles for a good prospect (Gardiner) + project player (Lupul)
and then our goalie + cap dump (Reimer+Connolly/Lombardi) for an upgrade in net

Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
If it is similar to the last time he made two trades at once I will be extremely excited... haha

Instead of Beauchemin, Liles for a good prospect (Gardiner) + project player (Lupul)
and then our goalie + cap dump (Reimer+Connolly/Lombardi) for an upgrade in net
Who would be a good project player to target? One player that comes to mind is Frolik on Chicago, but it's not like he has a high cap hit, it's only 2.33m so Blackhawks obviously aren't looking to throw him out the door.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlante94 View Post
Create? Didn't Fletcher create that team? JFJ just gave away our future for players who played maybe 1 or 2 years with us and didn't get us any further into the playoffs. Then Fletcher came back for a short period and made everything worse. Yeah our team hasn't done much since Burke got here but what do you expect when he's stuck with 5 players with NTC or NMC? Kinda hard to do a proper rebuild in Toronto because the fans expect playoffs every year but Burke has done a good job making sure we have a future and and has a pretty damn good team now and would of easily been a playoff team if injuries and consistensy didn't kill us. Look what he did in Vancouver and look how good they are a few years after he left and after all the players he drafted were developed properly. There's 1 main reason why I dislike JFJ and that is because he traded our pick in the 03 draft. Perry was my favorite player in that draft because I watched him and the Knights a lot that year and knew he was gonna be a good player in the NHL and we could of had him or Richards I believe but we trade that pick for Nolan I think?
Good indication of the average age of our posters here.

General Manager--Appointment--Departure

Brian Burke---------2008

Cliff Fletcher(interim)--2008-------2008

John Ferguson, Jr.-----2003------2008

Pat Quinn-------------1999------2003

Ken Dryden-----------1997------1999

Cliff Fletcher----------1991------1997

ps Quinn made the Nolan trade

Last edited by Barilko14: 07-11-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
JFJ set this franchise back a decade! He fell into the trade for vets trap.

Burke has come in and rebuilt this franchise from the ground up in 3.5 years. We can't forget that 2/3 of last season we held down a playoff spot, while playing exciting hockey.

Rebuilds don't happen overnight and IMO if Burke stays the course we will be a perennial playoff team.

IMO we are 3 players away from a contender! #1 center(80+ pts), #1 goalie (40 wins) and a top 6 power forward (30 goals, hard on forecheck).

Old
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
JFJ set this franchise back a decade! He fell into the trade for vets trap.

Burke has come in and rebuilt this franchise from the ground up in 3.5 years. We can't forget that 2/3 of last season we held down a playoff spot, while playing exciting hockey.

Rebuilds don't happen overnight and IMO if Burke stays the course we will be a perennial playoff team.

IMO we are 3 players away from a contender! #1 center(80+ pts), #1 goalie (40 wins) and a top 6 power forward (30 goals, hard on forecheck).
If we didn't have a PMD, what would we have? Seriously you just named 3 of the 4 most important parts of a hockey team imo. Skilled center, top 10 goalie and a big power forward who pots 30 goals. It's a disaster if you haven't noticed.

Closed Thread