HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Signings: Signings and your proposals.

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 10:48 PM
delirium trigger

vCash: 500
What do you think it would take to get smid out of oil town? He would be a more than adequate replacement for schenn and think he is on his last contract year. I bet he has potential to be one of the best shut down guys in the league and he's only 25 or 26. Oilers already tried to trade him once so maybe he is expendable.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yeah, resigning Wilson is a mystery to me.

(...) Possible that Burke figured Wilson would hold the fort until someone he wanted became available and then a person (Carlyle) became available sooner than he thought?

To be honest though, I think I am over thinking this all. I think it was just a bad extension with bad timing and overall just a bad decision.
Wasn't Carlyle available before Wilson got extended?

Old
07-11-2012, 10:54 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
When I look at ULF's signature, all I can think is thank god for UFA's and trades.

Stalberg (22) - Steen (15) - Kulemin (7)
Tlusty (17) - Wellwood (18) - Frattin (8)
Mitchell (5) - Stajan (8) - Komarov (0)
Rau (2) - Earl (0) - Williams (0)

Stralman (2) - Gunnarsson (4)
White (7) - Harrison (9)
Holzer (0) - Colaiacovo (2)
Vorobiev (0)

Reimer (0.900)

126 goals . Only one team this past year scored fewer than 200 goals and that was Minny with 177. Safe to say this team would've finished dead last by a mile haha.
Just think of the picks over the past 3-4 years. Oilers would be jealous.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-11-2012, 11:00 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
If "average" is considered 'middle of the pack', and his GAA last year ranked him 13th among goalies who played more than 20 games, then he's within 2 spots of being the most 'average' that you could possibly be - smack dab in the middle.

In terms of credibility, I think this speaks for itself.
He was 18th of those who played 20+ games, out of 49.

Based solely on that, he was above average.

The 13th you're thinkin about is his save %.

And again, 13th out of 49 is well above average.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
Well we don't have a team good enough to do damage regardless of the goalie this year, but we do have 3 or 4 really good goalie prospects coming up, so I don't really see the harm in bring patient and building from within. Think where we would be now if we hadnt been so short sighted and traded a good prospect like raask for raycroft.. but repeating historically bad moves over and over again and expecting the out come to be different next time is a sign of mental retardation.
That's a very harsh statement about Burke considering this will be his 4th complete year on the job in a cap world.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Just think of the picks over the past 3-4 years. Oilers would be jealous.
That team is so bad I think we would deserve the first 5 picks in the draft.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
He was 18th of those who played 20+ games, out of 49.

Based solely on that, he was above average.

The 13th you're thinkin about is his save %.

And again, 13th out of 49 is well above average.
Considering that there can only be 30 goalies that can be called "starting goaltenders," placing 13th out of 30 goalies, is just a bit better than average playing on one of the best teams in the league.

Luongo isn't worth the assets it would cost to get him.

Way I see next year going:

A) Carlyle is magic and gets his system in place from Game 1 and the Leafs are in the hunt for the playoffs and likely end up anywhere from 6-9.

B) Leafs fail and fail hard and in that case...Welcome to Toronto ______ (highly touted prospect).

I don't see an in between because either both the defense and goaltending are good and it all works out or one of the aspects aren't good and they fail mid way through the season much like they did this past season.

Leafs were going at about .540+ while getting terrible goaltending. It would have been something if they had gotten in

Old
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Considering that there can only be 30 goalies that can be called "starting goaltenders," placing 13th out of 30 goalies, is just a bit better than average playing on one of the best teams in the league.

A) Carlyle is magic and gets his system in place from Game 1 and the Leafs are in the hunt for the playoffs and likely end up anywhere from 6-9.

B) Leafs fail and fail hard and in that case...Welcome to Toronto ______ (highly touted prospect).
If B happens, I can probably bet we lose Kessel and Phaneuf the following offseason barring we become a #1 top 3 seed the following year.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
If B happens, I can probably bet we lose Kessel and Phaneuf the following offseason barring we become a #1 top 3 seed the following year.
Where would they go?

If we fail... you can bet Phil Kessel and Phaneuf didn't play as well as they could.

Considering guys like Wideman got 5.5M, Phaneuf will get like 7M at least.

Kessel will get ~7M if he can continue to be a PPG winger. Let's just hope Kessel and Phaneuf don't want to play in Minnesota haha.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Where would they go?

If we fail... you can bet Phil Kessel and Phaneuf didn't play as well as they could.

Considering guys like Wideman got 5.5M, Phaneuf will get like 7M at least.

Kessel will get ~7M if he can continue to be a PPG winger. Let's just hope Kessel and Phaneuf don't want to play in Minnesota haha.
I mean why would either of them want to stick around a losing team.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't see an in between because either both the defense and goaltending are good and it all works out or one of the aspects aren't good and they fail mid way through the season much like they did this past season.

Leafs were going at about .540+ while getting terrible goaltending. It would have been something if they had gotten in
Some teams split 2 goalies evenly all year though (St. Louis), some teams had a goalie that took over the starting role as the season went on (Edmonton) and some teams had injuries to their starting goalie for some of the season (Minny) adding a 2nd goalie who played a lot of games. Of the list for the ranking of goalies being refereed to throughout these posts, I think 2 goalies would be removed, Schneider, the guy now outplaying Luongo in Vancouver and one of St. Louis' goalies if you want to go by only 30 starting goalies in the league.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I mean why would either of them want to stick around a losing team.
Perpetual rebuild. .

Old
07-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Est1995

New thread?

Old
07-11-2012, 11:30 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)
The poster I quoted talked about goalies with 20+ games.

If you want to talk about "starting goaltenders", he was 10th out of 30 for save %, and 12th out of 30 for GAA.

Well above average in one case and above average in the other...

Old
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)

The league average for the year was .561 and the lowest playoff team was also at .561.

So .540 was under average and not sufficient to make the playoffs.

As someone said previously in this thread, some bubble teams started playing much better while the Leafs went in a death spiral.

That explains why they ended up 12 points outside of the playoffs.

PS: I just checked the numbers.

On February 6th, just before they went on that dreadful stretch, they were at .585, a 96-point pace, and not at .540.

Then, poof.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
The poster I quoted talked about goalies with 20+ games.

If you want to talk about "starting goaltenders", he was 10th out of 30 for save %, and 12th out of 30 for GAA.

Well above average in one case and above average in the other...
In any case, playing in the North West division on the best team in the league does help enhance his stats to look better than they are.

Luongo's a great goalie but I still don't consider the Leafs a lock for the playoffs if they were to get him. It just makes it less of a daunting task.

Not worth it if it's a strictly hockey deal where the Leafs are giving up guys like Colborne, Kadri or someone else for Luongo. If they want a good prospect, take Komisarek with them and the deal would be done.

Carey Price was good last year...it got the Habs nothing but last place in the conference because they couldn't hold onto a lead for their life.

The same could happen to the Leafs next year without a Selke winning center and defense first guys like Salo, Hamhuis etc helping out our goalie.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:54 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
The thing about Lombadri is that he's still a very capable Top 9 winger (when healthy) that can play both Wing and Centre.

The issue is his cap hit in relation to the question marks surrounding him.

There isn't much of a market there, if any.

I see him getting buried in depth rather than being moved.

Phoenix has expressed some interest in Lombadri, but with so many question marks surrounding that franchise, I doubt we see them make any significant moves at this point in the summer.
Chuck, when Lombardi got injured this past year, it was speculated he needed off season surgery, which would of course mess with his conditioning. Any word on whether or not he had surgery or did he choose not to?

Old
07-12-2012, 12:28 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
JFJ set this franchise back a decade! He fell into the trade for vets trap.

Burke has come in and rebuilt this franchise from the ground up in 3.5 years. We can't forget that 2/3 of last season we held down a playoff spot, while playing exciting hockey.

Rebuilds don't happen overnight and IMO if Burke stays the course we will be a perennial playoff team.

IMO we are 3 players away from a contender! #1 center(80+ pts), #1 goalie (40 wins) and a top 6 power forward (30 goals, hard on forecheck).
With those 3 pieces, ANY team would be close to becoming a contender.

Closed Thread