HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part X) - "I'm Doan waiting around for Nash" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Actually he played well on the pk for Hitchcock, but go ahead and disregard it because it doesn't suit your argument.
He's an average penalty killer, and he's an average defensive forward. He's not "very good".

Gaborik killed penalties on Minnesota, and they were a defensive team. Does that make Gaborik a good defensive forward in 2012, or a good PK'er?

Nash is an excellent goal-scoring forward but let's not get ahead of ourselves and make him sound more like a complete player.

Besides, Nash would probably not kill penalties here, especially if the Rangers had to trade a guy like Dubinsky and/or Anisimov to get him. Callahan and Stepan should be the only forwards who get a regular shift at ES, on the PP and on the PK.

Well, Boyle as well. Somehow.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:39 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Rangers forwards on the PK dont press the points. Under Hitchcock the BJ's did. Rangers collapse their two forwards inside the circles and block shots down low rather than near the blue line, if they can help it.

That's why Callahan, Prust, Dubinsky and Fedotenko were always limping to the bench. They block shots between the points and the goal.

So you're going to take a 7.8 million dollar "elite" winger and ask him to do the same?

Not a chance. Not under Torts.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:50 PM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Rangers forwards on the PK dont press the points. Under Hitchcock the BJ's did. Rangers collapse their two forwards inside the circles and block shots down low rather than near the blue line, if they can help it.

That's why Callahan, Prust, Dubinsky and Fedotenko were always limping to the bench. They block shots between the points and the goal.

So you're going to take a 7.8 million dollar "elite" winger and ask him to do the same?

Not a chance. Not under Torts.
Nash will do what is asked of him - he always has as far as a coach's request has gone. Do you think Torts cares what he's getting paid?

And quit with the semantic arguments. They slow these threads to a crawl. I don't think Nash is an "elite" forward. A better way to define his talent is by his projected position in a good team's lineup. He's a top six winger, at worst. He'd probably be a first line winger on most teams (including ours).

He can play on the second PK unit or in spot duty on the PK. He is a threat to score when used consistently on the PK, and teams planned around that when Hitchcock was in Columbus. He is "good" defensively. He isn't going to win the Selke anytime soon ("elite" defensive forward), and he isn't a defensive liability ("bad"). Our PP will likely improve with him in the lineup.

And again, if Kreider or Stepan are a part of this deal we should walk away. But we shouldn't step away because 2nd/3rd line tweeners like Anisimov, Dubinsky, and Hagelin might leave.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:02 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post
Nash will do what is asked of him - he always has as far as a coach's request has gone. Do you think Torts cares what he's getting paid?

And quit with the semantic arguments. They slow these threads to a crawl. I don't think Nash is an "elite" forward. A better way to define his talent is by his projected position in a good team's lineup. He's a top six winger, at worst. He'd probably be a first line winger on most teams (including ours).

He can play on the second PK unit or in spot duty on the PK. He is a threat to score when used consistently on the PK, and teams planned around that when Hitchcock was in Columbus. He is "good" defensively. He isn't going to win the Selke anytime soon ("elite" defensive forward), and he isn't a defensive liability ("bad"). Our PP will likely improve with him in the lineup.

And again, if Kreider or Stepan are a part of this deal we should walk away. But we shouldn't step away because 2nd/3rd line tweeners like Anisimov, Dubinsky, and Hagelin might leave.
Hes a top 6 winger at worst?

Just stop. The guy is an all star winger.

If one or or two teams he gets bumped down to another line because there happens to be an Marian Hossa type player already on the top line that doesnt make him just a "top 6 winger"

Old
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I somehow doubt we'd see much of Nash on the PK, but I don't think it has much to do with him so much as us having plenty of guys there already.

Assuming Dubinsky is gone:

Boyle, Callahan, Stepan, Halpern, Anisimov. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hagelin on the PK this season.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctorLies View Post

If he plays on the 2nd PK unit, then that's an extra 2:00 of ice time. Add the 3:30 or 4:00 from the PP with thge way Torts rides the top 2 lines in the 3rd period, and Nash will be approaching 23 mins a night, which would be a career high and over 4 mins more that what he's played the last two seasons.

I just dont see him being used on the PK at all, especially while Gaborik is out.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

vCash: 50
I just wish Sather would make an announcement saying he's given up on Nash. The speculation on here is beyond the point of ridiculous. 3 roster players going the other way? Give me a break.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:06 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I somehow doubt we'd see much of Nash on the PK, but I don't think it has much to do with him so much as us having plenty of guys there already.

Assuming Dubinsky is gone:

Boyle, Callahan, Stepan, Halpern, Anisimov. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hagelin on the PK this season.
Yea Hags will definitely be on the PK this year.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz728 View Post
I just wish Sather would make an announcement saying he's given up on Nash. The speculation on here is beyond the point of ridiculous. 3 roster players going the other way? Give me a break.
Good thing that's all it is.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
AA + Dubi = reasonable
Dubi + hagelin = reasonable
AA + hagelin = reasonable
Stepan is a no
AA+Dubi = unreasonable
Dubi+Hagelin = unreasonable
AA+Hagelin=unreasonable
AA = reasonable
Dubi = reasonable
Hagelin = reasonable
Stepan = hell no

Old
07-11-2012, 11:20 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
AA+Dubi = unreasonable
Dubi+Hagelin = unreasonable
AA+Hagelin=unreasonable
AA = reasonable
Dubi = reasonable
Hagelin = reasonable
Stepan = hell no
This Whole Post = Unreasonable

I'm probably more against giving up assets for Nash then anyone on this board, but this is just unrealistic.

Any who, to change the tune a little to this thread, if Erixon does not put on strength this offseason and starts the season back in Hartford, what available FA or players in our system do some of you think will be our sixth defenseman. I am just hoping I don't see too many Stu's

Old
07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
TheDoctorLies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
If he plays on the 2nd PK unit, then that's an extra 2:00 of ice time. Add the 3:30 or 4:00 from the PP with thge way Torts rides the top 2 lines in the 3rd period, and Nash will be approaching 23 mins a night, which would be a career high and over 4 mins more that what he's played the last two seasons.

I just dont see him being used on the PK at all, especially while Gaborik is out.
I can agree with you there. He'd probably be an insurance policy for our other guys, and could be used in case of injury or fatigue. He can be counted on to do what Torts wants him to do and he has the talent to do it effectively.

He's no Callahan defensively, and he's not a center. But again, if he can be had for a reasonable price, something that may not be possible, then he'd help solve our biggest shortcoming as a team right now.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:23 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Lmfao @ the new thread title. Epic!

Old
07-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
This Whole Post = Unreasonable

I'm probably more against giving up assets for Nash then anyone on this board, but this is just unrealistic.
Apparently, you aren't more against it than me.

NHL forward, good prospect, 1st round pick. There's no reason why it should take much more than that. They want a 2nd round pick or a second decent prospect thrown into the bargain? Fine.

I really think that if Sather were okay with giving up two NHL forwards, the deal would be done already.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:27 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Apparently, you aren't more against it than me.

NHL forward, good prospect, 1st round pick. There's no reason why it should take much more than that. They want a 2nd round pick or a second decent prospect thrown into the bargain? Fine.

I really think that if Sather were okay with giving up two NHL forwards, the deal would be done already.
Yeah see your point and agree, the problem is if we do get Nash, Dubi needs to be moved in the deal. I'd only imagine Dubi is not the asset they are looking for, but even if Sather was interested in just doing Stepan for Nash, he wouldn't just because of the cap differnce.

If a trade for Nash does happen, I don't see us just getting Nash. At worst I see a deal being:

Stepan and Dubi

For

Nash and Brassard

If that is the deal, I will still be pissed that we lost stepan, but I can live with it. That's kinda why I think this deal would work, I'm upset but not that Upset.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Can we leave the cheesy name title for the loungo threads on the main board?

Old
07-11-2012, 11:31 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Can we leave the cheesy name title for the loungo threads on the main board?
Huet you talkin too?

Old
07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rangers are not trading Stepan.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:36 PM
bmw2004

Thank god, you guys are not GM's of the New York Rangers!!!

Old
07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Yeah see your point and agree, the problem is if we do get Nash, Dubi needs to be moved in the deal. I'd only imagine Dubi is not the asset they are looking for.
Howson loves and covets dubi.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Yeah see your point and agree, the problem is if we do get Nash, Dubi needs to be moved in the deal. I'd only imagine Dubi is not the asset they are looking for, but even if Sather was interested in just doing Stepan for Nash, he wouldn't just because of the cap differnce.
There's no reason Dubinsky needs to be involved.

If it were Anisimov, my chart is showing our payroll at $64.9m with DZ and Stralman making a combined $4m. With Gaborik being out at the beginning of the season, we're fine. Cap Geek shows the same.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

I don't think howson wants or is going to trade nash. What incentive does he have? He is gone as soon as he trades him imo. Org needs a fresh start without nash. He has a job as long as nash is in cbj. They need either nash or owner to step up and make a statment clarifying the situation.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:53 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I don't think howson wants or is going to trade nash. What incentive does he have? He is gone as soon as he trades him imo. Org needs a fresh start without nash. He has a job as long as nash is in cbj. They need either nash or owner to step up and make a statment clarifying the situation.
Um, outside of that one year where Columbus made the playoffs and were swept by the Red Wings, Columbus has consistently finished at the bottom of the barrel. Trade or no trade, Howson is on thin ice. As a matter of fact, I'm still surprised he's still employed.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:57 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Huet you talkin too?
I'm gonna Stapleton your hands...

Old
07-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Kershaw

When you deal 3 pieces of your top 9 for Nash, that trade is an all around loss right from the beginning.

Closed Thread