HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs back to CJAD

Old
07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't get it. Ratings are low, people always complain about EVERY show and EVERY host and yet here we are, petitioning to save the radio station that has terrible ratings and sub-par hosts.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
That's a big problem. The French media have connections to the Habs and nothing else. They're a massive step-down from the TSN guys.
*RDS has no connection other then the habs. 98,5 fm sports although having mainly habs related guests (duh!!!), also have french scouts and french speaking analysts from other teams as well as having Pierre LeBrun as guests. Plz guys stop bashing on the whole french media. just bash RDS

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Oh yay! RDS..the liittle sister of TSN.

We're going to get guys with less connections talking about mostly just the Habs, while forgetting the rest of the NHL. You can also forget about other sports too.

We'll get to hear them whine about such amazing topics like there should be more french speaking guys on the Habs, ad nauseum. We'll also get the amazing insights of Gaston Therrien and that other pleb who talks to the morning show from time to time.

If we're real lucky, maybe they'll have a segment where they ask the opinions of Bertrand Raymond, that utter idiot.

And they can all talk about guys like Patrice Brisebois and how great they are.

The cool thing about the TSN guys was that they'd also talk to the locals and interview the RDS crew. You wont see this coming from the french media, they will ONLY speak with the french. So we'll be limited, much like the Habs limit themselves with their head coach hirings.
le 5@7 on rds once in a while had Pierre LeBrun interventions by phone. Tony Marinaro as a daily guest. 98,5 fm sports also had Pierre LeBrun interventions. U dont even watch it and talk **** about. Lets also not forget, the hockey business is in english so its normal for the french media to have less ressources.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
The cool thing about the TSN guys was that they'd also talk to the locals and interview the RDS crew. You wont see this coming from the french media, they will ONLY speak with the french. So we'll be limited, much like the Habs limit themselves with their head coach hirings.
I'm not the first to note this, but this is SUCH a double standard. They can interview the RDS crew and locals because those people are bilingual and speak english. On the other hand, the vast majority of english pundits can't speak a word of french.

Sure, a quick translated interview with an english speaking player is fine, but that doesn't work for in depth analysis at all, especially on the radio. It shouldn't take a university degree to understand this.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I don't get it. Ratings are low, people always complain about EVERY show and EVERY host and yet here we are, petitioning to save the radio station that has terrible ratings and sub-par hosts.
ratings have improved and people love to complain on here. it's like breathing and typing. we complain about everything. if the hosts were perfect and the habs won the cup we'd still find things to complain about. human nature

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:41 AM
TheBuriedHab

Maybe the ratings were low because nobody cared about the habslast year. I used to love listening to tsn 990 when I had the time.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:49 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I'm not petitioning myself, but I don't see the harm.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:32 AM
ChoseLa

Let's just blame french people, seriously.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
ratings have improved and people love to complain on here. it's like breathing and typing. we complain about everything. if the hosts were perfect and the habs won the cup we'd still find things to complain about. human nature
It's more than complaining. I can say "He said something stupid, I don't agree with it," and that's fine. But with TSN Radio 990, the majority here has went out on a limb, more often than not, and has called out most - if not all - hosts on air. If people don't like anything they say, ratings are down (despite the increase as of late, they're still not good enough) then why is there a problem? Is it solely based on language? In that case, we're keeping mediocrity around just so we can beat our chests and say "we have a voice!" That's not good enough. If they had cleaned house a long time ago, like they should have, they would not be in this mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm not petitioning myself, but I don't see the harm.
There is no harm. I just find it pointless to petition a radio station that two months ago, not many gave a crap about.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Well it doesn't mean because a few guys in here whine about Tony that they should close the whole freakin thing. I mean ratings are low but of course they are low, it's an english radio station in the Province of Quebec. That is not the point, it should be allowed to exist to give everyone a voice and for the diversity of opinion.

I blame the whole thing on CKAC being transformed into traffic radio, cutting the means to have the only french sports station in Montreal. So some guys turn around, realise that a market is not filled and kill an english station because of it to create another french sport station. Damn Cogeco and Bell, what a bunch of stupid fools.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:37 AM
DumFries

I just don't understand what's going on with Montreal radio. They shutdown 690, they made CKAC into a 24 hour traffic station, like we needed that.

The only sports radio left in Montreal, Team 990 becomes TSN 990 and now they are switching to french. Can't they just switch an existing french radio to RDS Radio? Or at least, can't they can make a new station RDS Radio?

Not having a french sports station in Mtl is bad, but not having an english one is no better.

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
The people of this board do not speak for the entirety of the province. I bet about 1 percent of the population posts on here.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Someone should organize a protest. I mean, isn't everything worth an official protest in Montreal?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Hugo Sham

http://www.montrealgazette.com/opini...medium=twitter

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
le 5@7 on rds once in a while had Pierre LeBrun interventions by phone. Tony Marinaro as a daily guest. 98,5 fm sports also had Pierre LeBrun interventions. U dont even watch it and talk **** about. [B]Lets also not forget, the hockey business is in english so its normal for the french media to have less ressources.[/B]
and given this fact that you point out, french sports radio will never be as informative or resourceful as english sports radio since they could not interview the same quality of guests unless they are willing to spend half the air time translating.

this is why even lately 990 is receiving a ton of calls from francophone listeneres who ackowledge that yes, even though they will get a station in their mother tongue, at stake there is a lot to lose, notability, the hockey world outside of la belle province...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:37 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Let's just blame french people, seriously.
Now all we are going to hear is how the team needs more soft small french players. **** RDS

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
and given this fact that you point out, french sports radio will never be as informative or resourceful as english sports radio since they could not interview the same quality of guests unless they are willing to spend half the air time translating.

this is why even lately 990 is receiving a ton of calls from francophone listeneres who ackowledge that yes, even though they will get a station in their mother tongue, at stake there is a lot to lose, notability, the hockey world outside of la belle province...
What part of a 0,1% market share among francophones don't you understand? Nothing will be lost because nobody was listening. CKAC's audience wasn't great but it was 20 times bigger among francophones, and four times bigger overall. This is why Bell is turning it over to RDS.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Zdeno33Lucic*
BruWins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Need to make our voices heard.

TSN 990 all sports-station in English, in Montreal, is needed. It kept me going at work during the long Christmas hours. ****, we need this ****.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
If you're on twitter and you care about this, get #SaveTSN990 trending.

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
This is awful news.

990 had regular interviews with the best insiders in the business, from both languages. They had regular interviews with GMs, players, agents, scouts, everything.

What is RDS going to do?

Anglo community gets shafted, and the city of Montreal loses a unique perspective for sports in general. Who wins here?
agreed with all of this

Zdeno33Lucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
People complain about every talk show host. Ratings may be terrible, but the audience all are sport buffs. The advertiser know exactly who they are selling to.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
2 possible things:

1- The ones that complains are not the ones that want to save them?

2- We love to complain. No reason to complain, no complaining. No fun.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
It's more than complaining. I can say "He said something stupid, I don't agree with it," and that's fine. But with TSN Radio 990, the majority here has went out on a limb, more often than not, and has called out most - if not all - hosts on air. If people don't like anything they say, ratings are down (despite the increase as of late, they're still not good enough) then why is there a problem? Is it solely based on language? In that case, we're keeping mediocrity around just so we can beat our chests and say "we have a voice!" That's not good enough. If they had cleaned house a long time ago, like they should have, they would not be in this mess.

There is no harm. I just find it pointless to petition a radio station that two months ago, not many gave a crap about.
55,000 people probably disagree with you.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Newhabfan

You know, there is a reason why the CRTC has that rule in place. To prevent media giants from owning everything there is to own in a market.

So far - you get your TV sports from the TSN and RDS groups. You will get your radio sports from the new RDS690. They nuked the old CKAC and Team990, potential competitors or rebels (Melnick was repeatedly vocal against some TSN decisions, like eliminating Stephen Brunt from his show, and "never to mention his name"). BTW - Bell also owns the Habs and, I heard, the Leafs soon.

Face it - the CKAC was mostly a failure in quality. Team990 had some good parts (mostly Melnick, the girls and the morning stooges), some meh parts (Tieman) and some heavily irritating parts (Marinaro). But they were a different voice, not directly owned by the Habs owners. There was some diversity.

The way I see it, they will disband Team990 mostly to get rid of the voices there. Then, in an year or two they'll start a new English sports radio, well "integrated" into the Bell empire.

I'd hate to rely on Videotron and TVA sports to have some, non Bell own sports content. But that's what will happen soon.

It's not the Team990's hosts that we should defend - it's the sports info independence that gets crushed again.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
thom

I feel sorry for the possible loss of english service.There was a time when there were two major english newspapers in montreal buy after the Levecque in the 70's became premier many english and corporate segment left.Some have been replaced by good quebec corporations but in the short run montreal will not be the city they once were.Montreal was the corporate head of many companies even ahead of Toronto but no more.Its been a slide in the last 30 yrs and things need to change.And I'm a supporter of french rights but you can go overboard.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:18 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
What part of a 0,1% market share among francophones don't you understand? Nothing will be lost because nobody was listening. CKAC's audience wasn't great but it was 20 times bigger among francophones, and four times bigger overall. This is why Bell is turning it over to RDS.
well, given the fact that you leave out the entire quality aspect, i'm assuming that you do agree that 990 is pretty content rich considering the market size. way more rich than any francophone content. And it's not speculation - a fact.

If anyone would like to argue that francophone sports radio, be it old ckac, is content rich, they're ignorant, plain and simple.

In fact, I would say that by and large, french sports radio is a huge joke. Hopefully that changes with RDS, I'm sure there'll be major improvement.

But that aside, you speak about ratings... given that the Montreal community that will listen to talk radio in english is relatively small to begin with, I think the 990 ratings are a success.

We agree that the french market in population is much more than 4 times the size of the english market - however, as you pointed out, CKAC listeners only totalled 200,000 (4 times more). If it were proportional to 990s, they should have a lot more.

Don't forget, for every person that will listen to english talk radio in the province, there's another 10 people that will listen to french.

And I always felt that local radio should serve the community that supports it - and there's no denying that 990 had support and was sustainable.

As for rds 690, I will listen, but if it's the same junk toothless drunkin discriminative quebec quebec french french chez nous crap, I'll refuse.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:

The reason why ratings were lower than the other stations is because they cater to a much smaller demographic... anglophone sports fans. 30% of the population of Quebec is anglophone, and then cut that down to sports fans. Every english hab fan knows of and has listened to the TSN 990 at one point or another.

Melnick has one of the highest rated drive shows, and I read somewhere that once they got the habs, their listenership increased dramatically. This whole situation doesn't have anything to do with their ratings being "bad", but rather the fact that they had the lowest ratings out of their other english stations that cater to a larger demographic like CJAD, CHOM, Virgin and The Beat.

RDS 990 will eventually after a few years of paying what it cost to restock a station, will be making much more money than TSN 990 and it has nothing to do with how good the programming was, but rather the larger demographic it will cater to. More people will listen in French, whether they like or hate the hosts.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote